Is Slinky Dog Dash similar to Barnstormer?

hart6066

DIS Veteran
We have a 14 and 17 year old and trying to decide if it's "worth it" to get a FP for Slinky Dog rather than a Toy Story. Kids love Toy Story ride. DD likes Mine Train, but DS doesn't and neither would do Barnstormer unless there was no line and sort of like a joke. Any thoughts? Not worried that we'd "miss" it bc it's new--we are more into slower rides if they're themed well (why they like Toy Story). Thanks!

Not like Barnstormer at all! A bit more roller coaster-like than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, in my opinion. I tolerate Barnstormer only because my daughter likes it (and now that she's 7, she can, and sometimes does, ride it alone...if I notice there's another child who's going to ride alone, I ask if my DD can ride with her/him, and I step across and wait, lol). I find Barnstormer really bumpy, and the seats are SO uncomfortable with all of those ridges/bumps in the back. I actually really like Slinky Dog. It's my second favorite roller coaster at Disney (Expedition Everest is my first; DD won't ride Space Mountain yet).

I was expecting SDD to be like barnstormer but was presently surprised- it’s much longer with lots more dips,drops, etc than barnstormer.

Personally I prefer TSMM and if I had to pick between the 2, I’d pick TSMM over SDD.

SDD is much longer and taller than Barnstormer. Its also much smoother so its a much more enjoyable ride. It has 2 launch hills and feels a little longer than 7DMT, but not as long as BTMRR.

SDD is MUCH better. We rode it 3 different times and really enjoyed it much more than I expected. It is very smooth. Even the linear induction is smooth and not super fast like RnRc. Its a longer coaster with 2 areas of linear induction zones.
And the Big finish is not to be missed.
it will be interesting to compare the length of BTMRR and SDD. I thought SDD seemed like a longer track than BTMRR or 7DMT. I found BTMRR was 2671', but can't find information on the length of SDD.

And Barnstormer seems like it's about 30 seconds. The time it takes to walk out of the ride once it's finished feels twice as long as the ride.
Ha!
(Although that is because the exit used to be the queue..but they couldn’t easily a FP+ line on that side so they swapped entrance and exit.)
But if you ride late at night, you have an above average chance of multiple rides without getting off..

No! not even close.
SDD is much nicer and longer than Barnstormer.
Barnstormer seemed like a 10 sec ride. My kids got on for the first time on our last trip and after it was done, they just looked at me with sad faces with that's it??
The seats on barnstormer are also very uncomfortable..

Toy Story Mania is easy to get as a same day fastpass. I would fastpass SDD and then look for a TSM after you use your 3.

No comparison. My kids were 22, 17 and 14 when we were there in July. They all loved it and wanted to ride again but the line was WAY too long. We will fastpass it on our next trip for sure. My kids loved the all of the details along the ride too.

We would put it at somewhere between 7DMT and BTMRR in terms of intensity. I had low expectations, but the whole family really enjoyed it. I wouldn't wait 2 hours for it-- but I would use a FP for it. It has a great view of the Star Wars land construction.

Last edited:
Sdd is much more intense!!!!!

I’m not a thrill seeker at all & is watched various YouTube’s of folks riding & thought it looked quite high & fast...

I was a little nervous but enjoyed it-
However it was a definite whoop whoop :rainbow:

We loved it! We were expecting it to be like Barnstormer and were thrilled at how much better it was. I like it WAY better than 7DMT! It had a good amount of intensity, in my opinion.
We weren’t able to get FPs for our trip so we got in line at about 5 minutes before park close. The wait wasn’t nearly as long that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter