Is it suppose to look like GLOP?

DVC Daisy

DIS Veteran
Oh my,

I got the recipe for Port Orleans Food Court Beignets from Marggie J's website (Thanks!) and since my family loves these I decided to make them!

Wellllllllll, being such a clever person I figured I could make the dough part in my bread machine and go from there. I am now not so sure :D :D

I put the ingredients in the bread machine liquid first... yeast last. I did add a couple of teaspoons of Wheat gluten because I always do but I do not think that is the problem. What I got an hour later was some wonderful smelling (major yummy) glop! It is like a thick pancake batter. No way I could *roll* this out! I have it resting on my counter now (covered) wishing it will rise.

ANY IDEAS for me? Should I just start over? Probably, just wanted to know what everyone here thinks.

Deb:smooth: :smooth:

Well, first I'd say sorry you got glop. :eek:

Next, the dough for this isn't make like a bread dough. It requires no kneading. Many recipes specifically mention not to overmix the dough. It's more like a muffin batter.

This recipe calls for an overnight refrigerated rest and rise period. I would assume it's one key to success here. It gives the dough time to rise and firm up a bit. Also, the board is heavily floured since 3 C. of flour are reserved for this. Given this, I would expect the dough to be airy and a bit sticky after the overnight refrigeration. So, don't expect to roll it like cookie or pie crust dough but more a "pat down". 1/8" thickness seems very thin to me. I'd try one tester square of about 1/4" to 1/2" thickness first and see what you get after frying and adjust from there.

Try the recipe as is again, NO adjustments and see if things are better. Baking is all chemistry and if timing is changed, things are altered in the wrong ratios or uncompatible components are added the results can be very bad indeed. (When I'm not baking I'm a Chemist for real.)

Good luck!

The recipe in question is as follows:

Beignets
Port Orleans Food Court

1 pk Dry yeast
1/2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
7 c Flour
1 1/2 c -Warm water
1 ts Salt
1 c Undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 c Soft shortening
Oil; for frying
Confectioner's sugar

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve. Add sugar,
salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater. Add 4 cups of the flour.
Cover and chill overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut
into 2 1/2" squares. Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly
browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle heavily with
confectioner's sugar. Makes about 5 dozen. Dough keeps well in refrigerator
for several days. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and punch down
occassionally.

Margie,

Thanks for the info! I kinda figured that it was not to be...

I have had success before making "dough" in my breadmaker and then proceeding as instructed. I did not realize at all that this would be more like a muffin dough however. This is actually what it looks like now - I have had it in the refrigerator all day. Boy does it smell yummy! Perhaps it will be ok after all. If not I will try again as the instructions read :D :D :D skipping the creative cheating.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Deb :smooth:

Ok, I went on a search and found this. The ingredients are the same but the directions are a bit different. It accounts for the shortening and all that left over flour. I'm fixing my web page too. Seems the person who posted the recipe the first time forgot a few lines.

I still wouldn't add anything else and let it rise/rest overnight as directed.

* 1 package active dry yeast
* 1-1/2 cups warm water (100-115 degrees F)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 large eggs
* 1 cup evaporated milk
* 7 cups flour
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
* oil for deep frying
* confectioner's sugar for dusting (or burying, depending on taste)

Put the warm water into a large bowl, then sprinkle in the yeast and a couple teaspoons of the sugar and stir until thoroughly dissolved. Let proof for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the sugar, salt, eggs, and evaporated milk. Gradually stir in 4 cups of the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and thoroughly blended. Beat in the shortening, then add the remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating it in with a spoon until it becomes too stiff to stir, then working in the rest with your hands. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight in a greased bowl.
Roll the dough out onto a floured board or marble pastry surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch, then cut it into rectangles 2-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches with a sharp knife. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Fry the beignets about 3 or 4 at a time until they are puffed out and golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per batch. Turn them over in the oil with tongs once or twice to get them evenly brown, since they rise to the surface of the oil as soon as they begin to puff out. Drain each batch, place on a platter lined with several layers of paper towels, and keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until they're all done.
Serve 3 beignets per person, sprinkling heavily with powdered sugar, and serve hot with cafe au lait.

Margie,

THANKS!!

Ok, now that sounds really, really yummy! I will try that this weekend if I can squeeze in the time. The "muffin batter" batch looked too weird by morning so I scrapped it. I smelled really good however. I will try this one as it sounds quite *conventional* baking wise.

Has anyone else here tried this recipe yet? I will let everyone know how it goes after I try it.

Thanks again!!!

Deb :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter