Is Express Pass Worth It on a 4/10 Crowd Level Prediction Day?

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Universal (last time I was there was 2000 - I hear they have a couple of new things since the ;) ) so trying to understand how to properly value Express Pass. Want to make the most of our limited time, but also don't want to "waste" $

In short:

The date we are looking at is August 29th with is rated as a "low crowd" day and 4/10 for both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure - so basically wondering if a 4/10 day means rather low lines and really no benefit to Express Pass or will it still be really helpful if trying to do both parks in one day (but knowing outside of Harry Potter stuff, nothing else is a "must do")

More details for those interested:

For our upcoming trip to the area we were going to take one day that my wife and oldest daughter (9) would do Universal as her birthday present for this year as she is now really into Harry Potter - and that is largely the only (or at least by far main) thing that interests her and thus is the focus. I will do another date at Disney with my younger two as we just can't justify the cost of a 1 day park-to-park for them as too short to ride most of the rides

The plan was to get them a room at Cabana Bay so they would have early park admission and be right there and get a full day in. We recently found out that my sister in law and her husband will also be in the area and now want to join them - so going from 2 people to 4

In looking at prices, Cabana Bay is $164 for the night but could upgrade to Royal Pacific for $319

So $155 for just 2 Express Passes (so $77.5 each) feels expensive if not really, really worth it ... but for four, not it is $38.75/person feels a bit better ... but again, if not a lot of value rather save the $

Thanks, and sorry for the long post

Just depends on your budget. That really does mean lower crowds, but the popular attractions should still be at half hour +.

If you do Royal pacific you can express pass the Harry Potter rides multiple times, if those become favorites.

You should have no trouble doing all the HP rides in a day without express pass, and then maybe a handful of other rides depending on the time spent in the HP areas.

I wouldn't do Royal Pacific, but perhaps I all cheaper than others.

If you are getting express passes, definitely go the Royal Pacific route though.

4 less than 40 bucks a person and a better room as well, I think you are crazy not to do it. And I've been called extremely cheap. The way I look at it is I always have express passes if they are available or I factor in I may need to get them. I haven't been to Universal in 10 years or so, maybe longer and I remember we went one time and didn't really need express, but even lighter crowds could still mean some of the rides are heavier and with one day, do you want to wait in line for 20 minutes extra or have that time to walk around potter land?

Are the other 2 adults going to spend the day with your wife and child at uo?

Will they stay in the hotel room onsite with them also?

Rooms allow 2 adults ages 18 and up without additional charges

Each adult extra, hotels do a surcharge
If at the deluxe hotels that would be an additional $35 plus tax per night to the basic hotel room rate

Cbay additional costs is lower for the third adult on the reservation

I would go with the room onsite

They are only doing one day in the parks
Having the ep from the hotel will
help for them to do everything and plus at the parks

The sister in law and spouse
Could split the costs where it could ease the hotel room charge

The in laws don’t have to stay in the room but be on the reservation to get the ep and do the parks with your wife and child

IMO, express pass is always worth it no matter the time of year. It allows you to sleep in, go at your own pace, and not have the pressure of making rope drops or catching rides at certain times. It also allows you to re-ride the headliners without little to no wait. We always book a deluxe resort as two adults rather than just purchasing EP. We love each of the deluxe hotels for different reasons, and also find the location and proximity adds to the value as well. Being able to walk or have the option for the water taxi is huge for us.

I am sorry but the way I look at it, you are willing to pay $164 for just 1 extra hour, but you are balking on $80 for all day express passes? I understand add the numbers up while looking at the predicted crowd level for that day because there are few people cheaper than I am. But even with that said, we always get a room for the express passes and we do not actually even stay there at all.

It does not really matter what the crowd level is predicted to be, most of those people will be in the very area your wife is taking your daughter to spend the day.

If the in laws are willing to kick in, I say go with the express passes. After all, it is her birthday.

Also, there is so much to do there besides HP. I recommend them at least going to the kids areas. Definitely do cat in the hat and the trolley in the sky. Two of my favorites and I am not a kid.

Check out the dinosaur area where you can watch an egg hatch.

In fact, with the express passes, they could easily take a mid day break back at the room and even take a swim break depending on park closing times. They will text you when the room is available and with a low crowd expected day, that will likely be early. Last year our room was ready around 130 and that was Thanksgiving week.

You will need to book the room for after the park day, but you will still have express passes and do early entry. Just check in early that morning and they will give you room keys that are your express pass/early entry pass for the day.

Actually with that plan, if the inlaws want to spend two days there, they could still use the express pass the second day. It does not matter where they actually sleep as long as they are on the room reservation. It will bump the room rate up a little with the third adult, still worth it IMHO.

There is lots of value in the express passes with your plan. If that was your plan, but you were going two or more days, I would say you could skip the express, but one day the express will always have value.

I am sorry but the way I look at it, you are willing to pay $164 for just 1 extra hour, but you are balking on $80 for all day express passes? I understand add the numbers up while looking at the predicted crowd level for that day because there are few people cheaper than I am. But even with that said, we always get a room for the express passes and we do not actually even stay there at all.

It does not really matter what the crowd level is predicted to be, most of those people will be in the very area your wife is taking your daughter to spend the day.

If the in laws are willing to kick in, I say go with the express passes. After all, it is her birthday.

Also, there is so much to do there besides HP. I recommend them at least going to the kids areas. Definitely do cat in the hat and the trolley in the sky. Two of my favorites and I am not a kid.

Check out the dinosaur area where you can watch an egg hatch.

In fact, with the express passes, they could easily take a mid day break back at the room and even take a swim break depending on park closing times. They will text you when the room is available and with a low crowd expected day, that will likely be early. Last year our room was ready around 130 and that was Thanksgiving week.

You will need to book the room for after the park day, but you will still have express passes and do early entry. Just check in early that morning and they will give you room keys that are your express pass/early entry pass for the day.

Actually with that plan, if the inlaws want to spend two days there, they could still use the express pass the second day. It does not matter where they actually sleep as long as they are on the room reservation. It will bump the room rate up a little with the third adult, still worth it IMHO.

There is lots of value in the express passes with your plan. If that was your plan, but you were going two or more days, I would say you could skip the express, but one day the express will always have value.

I might not have been clear, but the idea we had was to use the hotel the night before (so the night of the 28th and then their park day would be the 29th) so that they would already be on site and not need to drive over from where we are staying (off property but on the other side of Walt Disney World) - so it isn't *just* for the extra hour, it is also so I won't have to drive them over super early to drop them off for the opening, and then drive back to bring the other two to Disney.

Also, the 28th is our off day from the parks so thinking of using that to spend some time, all of us, in the Universal resort just to check it out and check out City Walk (maybe all eat at Toothsome, figure the kids would like that)

Thanks for the thoughts on other things to do - we are looking for what else might interest my daughter. She does like thrill rides, though not sure if she would want to do like the Hulk (she did love Expedition Everest) but thinking she might like things like Men in Black

The ability to take a mid-day break might be a good feature - and also would be easier (I would think) at a closer hotel - so another "pro" for the Deluxe

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - the Express Concept (or, really, the concept of paying for any sort of "front of the line") is so new to me I am struggling with valuing it.

Gist I am getting from here (and some other responses I got elsewhere) is that we definitely wouldn't *need* it to get the Harry Potter stuff done and maybe a few other rides they would want to, but it would be a big help if they want to get on more rides and/or re-ride things (such as the Harry Potter things).

Also the proximity is a good point I didn't think about @nkereina - being closer I think would help if they wanted to take a break - which, given it is Florida in August, they might want to do

@macraven - as to the plans for the in-laws, I really don't know. My wife and her entire family aren't really big into the whole planning thing (which is why it is left up to me). My suspicion is they will do some things with my wife and duaghter but also do stuff on their own. I do think if I can get them to kick in a little $ that might be the deciding factor and make it a "no brainer"

You can book the room now and pay for it.
If you decide later it is not what would be best for them, cancel and get the money refunded.

Full cancellations if you cancel 6 days prior to arrival date.

Rooms can fill up or prices can change based on demand.
So, snag the room at the rate it is now
You can modify the rate later if it drops.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best!

I know getting the understanding of express pass can be difficult, and it does cost something but believe me, it is well worth it.

I personally hate disney fast pass. Don't care if it is "free". It irritates me. The reason I have not been back for 4 years.

With fast pass, you have to pick a window having no idea what else may be going on. They may be a whole park away from each other while you walk past other things you would like to do. There has to be a window available or you are out of luck.

With express pass, nothing has to be planned out. Walk by a ride and want to give it a go, get in the express pass line. If you get off and want to do it again, no problem, just get back in the express line and ride it again. And again if you want. I have honestly walked by the same people three times doing the express line while they were in standby.

With fastpass, besides the first 3 fast passes and any others we can snag later in the day, which is hard with our group, everything else I want to do I know I will be waiting in a hellishly long line. Not when you have express pass. Ride something, go ride something else, decide you want to do the first one again, no problem because you have the express pass.

I echo much of what others have said. For me the upgrade to Royal Pacific is a no brainer.

When we visited some years ago (pre Diagon Alley) it was late September and the crowds seemed really low everywhere except in HP land.
Despite this, the Express Pass was still wonderful to have. Touring the parks was so easy and stress free and I too find Disney Fastpass frustrating by comparison.

Your in-laws won't actually be staying at the hotel though, correct? Because if they were, the family suites at CBR might be a better fit than RP.

Another thing: you're allowed to pool hop at universal. So if you are going to be with the two younger and had wanted to do the lazy River at Cabana Bay, you can still go over there. Id take the boat to Sapphire falls (little ones might enjoy the boat) then take the walking bridge over the road and you'll be at Cabana Bay.

With Universal Express Pass, you are paying for the convenience of it. No one *needs* it to have a fun day at Universal any time of year. But to have it makes your days at the park much easier, more flexible, and more enjoyable IMO. So assessing a value on how important the quality of your vacation is is how it should be looked at. As I mentioned up-thread, the ability to sleep in and not feel rushed to get there and make our way through the parks is huge. We constantly feel this way at Disney so it's nice to take a break from that mentality and enjoy Universal at a different pace.

And yes, regarding proximity, RPR is much more convenient than CBBR would be, especially for taking breaks. RPR Is closest to IOA entrance when walking, so we love doing the water rides there last and then having a quick walk back to RPR for a break to get out of wet clothes. With CBBR, the walk is rather long and crosses a street. The other option is to walk to the other side of City Walk and get on the CBBR bus. So, think of the up-charge to stay at RPR as the cost of convenience for both location and EP.

Your in-laws won't actually be staying at the hotel though, correct? Because if they were, the family suites at CBR might be a better fit than RP.

Not sure at this point - but even if they do it is just the one night and would just be a bed to sleep in for a few hours really

Thanks for all the input everyone - definitely still coming to terms with the idea of "paying" for any sort of "fast pass" - guess it is one of those things when you are used to something being "free" having to pay for it throws you off and makes it hard to value

I think also just the absolute cost for one day at Universal (with park to park) is throwing me so idea of spending even more is tough

I think what we will do is see what $ the in-laws can contribute and if they can cover some of the "upgrade" we will go for it

I know getting the understanding of express pass can be difficult, and it does cost something but believe me, it is well worth it.

I personally hate disney fast pass. Don't care if it is "free". It irritates me. The reason I have not been back for 4 years.

With fast pass, you have to pick a window having no idea what else may be going on. They may be a whole park away from each other while you walk past other things you would like to do. There has to be a window available or you are out of luck.

With express pass, nothing has to be planned out. Walk by a ride and want to give it a go, get in the express pass line. If you get off and want to do it again, no problem, just get back in the express line and ride it again. And again if you want. I have honestly walked by the same people three times doing the express line while they were in standby.

With fastpass, besides the first 3 fast passes and any others we can snag later in the day, which is hard with our group, everything else I want to do I know I will be waiting in a hellishly long line. Not when you have express pass. Ride something, go ride something else, decide you want to do the first one again, no problem because you have the express pass.

haha, guess it is different personalities - the idea of of "nothing has to be planned out" stresses the heck out of me. I love my planning and my spreadsheets ... to me, that is half the fun of a Disney vacation. I love knowing going into a day what we already have set and at what times and then can plan the rest of the day around that and adjust as need to, but at least have the basic outline.

Obviously there are plusses and minuses to everything but the cost is a big factor as well, and for a family of 5 the cost of park-to-park tickets plus express pass just seems so high to me! (and we always stay off site so hotel costs staying onsite at either park also seem quite high to me)

With Universal Express Pass, you are paying for the convenience of it. No one *needs* it to have a fun day at Universal any time of year. But to have it makes your days at the park much easier, more flexible, and more enjoyable IMO. So assessing a value on how important the quality of your vacation is is how it should be looked at. As I mentioned up-thread, the ability to sleep in and not feel rushed to get there and make our way through the parks is huge. We constantly feel this way at Disney so it's nice to take a break from that mentality and enjoy Universal at a different pace.

And yes, regarding proximity, RPR is much more convenient than CBBR would be, especially for taking breaks. RPR Is closest to IOA entrance when walking, so we love doing the water rides there last and then having a quick walk back to RPR for a break to get out of wet clothes. With CBBR, the walk is rather long and crosses a street. The other option is to walk to the other side of City Walk and get on the CBBR bus. So, think of the up-charge to stay at RPR as the cost of convenience for both location and EP.

I fully agree with you about the added value to my vacation. I guess the OP is different, but by staying onsite the night before the park day sort of negates any plusses of staying onsite except they will not have the early morning transportation part.

I might not have been clear, but the idea we had was to use the hotel the night before (so the night of the 28th and then their park day would be the 29th) so that they would already be on site and not need to drive over from where we are staying (off property but on the other side of Walt Disney World) - so it isn't *just* for the extra hour, it is also so I won't have to drive them over super early to drop them off for the opening, and then drive back to bring the other two to Disney.

Also, the 28th is our off day from the parks so thinking of using that to spend some time, all of us, in the Universal resort just to check it out and check out City Walk (maybe all eat at Toothsome, figure the kids would like that)

Thanks for the thoughts on other things to do - we are looking for what else might interest my daughter. She does like thrill rides, though not sure if she would want to do like the Hulk (she did love Expedition Everest) but thinking she might like things like Men in Black

The ability to take a mid-day break might be a good feature - and also would be easier (I would think) at a closer hotel - so another "pro" for the Deluxe

Thanks!

A couple of things to consider - having the room for just one night will mean they will need to check out in the morning and won’t be able to use the room for a mid-day break.

Don’t worry that she might not like Hulk. My family don’t go near any of the scariest rides and still love every second of our time there.

I know bringing them in the morning cuts into your day, but I think if the choice was between a night at Cabana day without express passes, or a day at Universal (no hotel booking) with express passes, I’d opt for the latter. With just the one day, they will get a lot more done and get to ride their favourites multiple times, if they have a pass.
Perhaps with the slight savings they could get an Uber in the morning and then you could meet them at toothsomes at pick up for a slightly later dinner.

Lastly, I understand why someone who is fine with Fastpasses and enjoys the planning aspects that surround them might see Express Passes as a waste. I think it’s not until you’ve tried them, that their worth makes sense.

Not having to cross the park multiple times to meet scheduled times is one of the pluses, especially at IOA where, IMO, the layout is not great for going back and forth between rides. To me, it would be like jumping back and forth between Epcot countries on either side of the lake. Or alternatively hanging out in a country for longer than you want because your Fastpass slot is coming up and you don’t want to go ahead only to backtrack.

Pretty well all the days we were at Universal were low to mid crowd days according to the calendar and yet the HP lines were LONG. It was well worth the money spent to stay on-site (IMO) to have the express passes; there are 5 of us so that was a bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter