Is Express Pass Worth It on a 4/10 Crowd Level Prediction Day?

A couple of things to consider - having the room for just one night will mean they will need to check out in the morning and won’t be able to use the room for a mid-day break.

Don’t worry that she might not like Hulk. My family don’t go near any of the scariest rides and still love every second of our time there.

I know bringing them in the morning cuts into your day, but I think if the choice was between a night at Cabana day without express passes, or a day at Universal (no hotel booking) with express passes, I’d opt for the latter. With just the one day, they will get a lot more done and get to ride their favourites multiple times, if they have a pass.
Perhaps with the slight savings they could get an Uber in the morning and then you could meet them at toothsomes at pick up for a slightly later dinner.

Lastly, I understand why someone who is fine with Fastpasses and enjoys the planning aspects that surround them might see Express Passes as a waste. I think it’s not until you’ve tried them, that their worth makes sense.

Not having to cross the park multiple times to meet scheduled times is one of the pluses, especially at IOA where, IMO, the layout is not great for going back and forth between rides. To me, it would be like jumping back and forth between Epcot countries on either side of the lake. Or alternatively hanging out in a country for longer than you want because your Fastpass slot is coming up and you don’t want to go ahead only to backtrack.

yeah, the idea (at least my thinking, but maybe it is misguided) was to have it so they were on property already, and then would have early access - though it appears from all this great input that I perhaps was overvaluing early access and undervaluing express pass

Not sure about Uber as my daughter it only 9 so still would need a car seat/high back booster

I think it comes down to the fact I am just cheap :rotfl:and the cost of Universal is freaking me out a bit. We are staying off site, so have a 3 bedroom unit for like ~$1,100 total for the week and are using military passes at Disney so 5 days with parkhopping is only costing us $246/person - so to see a one day with park hoping at Universal be $162 (that's the cheapest I have found for one day via a corporate program) and then needing to spend ~$80/person on top of that for Express pass, all of a sudden that 1 day is costing us the same a 5 days at Disney - so a bit of sticker shock

We are going to see what the in-laws can contribute and if then likely do the upgrade to get the Express pass included. If they get sticker shock and now don't want to go I think we will consider not getting a room and instead doing Express Pass and I'll just drive them over or something

If it is all about saving dollars, which I completely understand, I would ditch the hotel and put that money towards buying the express pass.

If the two younger kids can't do the parks, I can't think of anything in city walk that would appeal to them. Maybe toothsome for a milkshake, but again that runs into some money.

Express pass for Aug 29 are $110 pp park to park. But with express pass, you do not need to be there for the extra hour or even at rope drop.

If it is too big of a hassle to take them in the morning, uber/lyft is available and you could come pick them up that night and have dinner as another poster has said. They will have the seat boosters.

Of course if the inlaws will pay a part, that puts another thing to consider.

I and several other people have tried to point out that having EP makes a one day visit so much more enjoyable. If they had at least two days, EP would probably be less valuable.
1 day, I would honestly just skip it without EP no matter what the crowd prediction was esp since HPland is the primary focus along with most every one else in the park that day.

Maybe the parks with that crowd day prediction will be light and the HP rides will only be 60-75 min wait. The other rides probably around 30 min. You could easily do the HP rides 3 or 4 times in that amount of time with EP.

As for the one day universal trip costing so much, price out a one day for disney. That is just the way it runs. 1 day trips are expensive which ever way you go. 2 days at Universal will almost get you an annual pass.

We also stay in a multi bedroom condo, but get throw away rooms at a hotel with EP because with 9 people this time, it is cheaper than express passes. The only time we even see the hotel is when we pick up the express passes, or my mother may run over and take a mid day nap.

Oh, and unless your 9 year old is very small, no car seat needed for her in Florida. Just I would make sure she is in the back seat, as front seats most have air bags that would not be turned off due to your DD’s weight. Seatbelt though, all under 18 required to wear one.

Not to add to your sticker shock, but it looks like you might be looking at the 1 time per ride Express Pass cost rather than the unlimited one. The hotel will get you unlimited, which does add to its value.

My 3 days at Universal will be cheaper than my 3 at Disney, particularly when I weigh up the fact that Universal’s TS restaurants are generally cheaper. However, because you get heavily discounted Disney tickets, I can see how the comparison might be hard. At the end of the day, only you know what you can comfortably afford and nothing we say otherwise can change that. Your daughter will likely love HP with or without an Express Pass and is lucky that you are putting the time and thought into planning this special day for her.

Oh, and there are military tickets for universal, but are for 4 days. I was very happy to see them, as I got a 4 day, 3 park military ticket at a very good discount at my ITT office, and were good over Christmas, expiring the last day of the year, which was the last day in the parks for us.

Your price for 1 day sounds good, SOG’s rate for one day, P to P: adult $166.75, kid (3-9) $161. 75. At least all of August is Value time, so that is what those prices are.

I feel ya, Universal is like Disney, the more days you add, the less cost per day. One day at just MK, value, the last 4 days if August, and it is $111 adult, $101 child. Hopper, $167.25 adult, $161.25 child. Value tickets from SOG.

So, while Universal has two parks to hop and Disney has 4, the hopping costs about the same. And while many complain the cost of having to buy a 2 park to park to ride the train, but it also allows you to enjoy all that is in both parks on the sane day. And, unlike Disney, though more like Disneyland, you can easily hop, and most enjoy doing so.

Oh, and unless your 9 year old is very small, no car seat needed for her in Florida. Just I would make sure she is in the back seat, as front seats most have air bags that would not be turned off due to your DD’s weight. Seatbelt though, all under 18 required to wear one.

Yeah, I know the laws in Florida are a bit more lax with regards to car seats but we aren’t comfortable with her not having at least a booster - and of course back seat only ... is that even an option in florida for kids? We are like years away from even entertaining the thought of the front seat for any of my kids

And only under 18 for seatbelts? In NY everyone needs a seatbelt

Not to add to your sticker shock, but it looks like you might be looking at the 1 time per ride Express Pass cost rather than the unlimited one. The hotel will get you unlimited, which does add to its value.

My 3 days at Universal will be cheaper than my 3 at Disney, particularly when I weigh up the fact that Universal’s TS restaurants are generally cheaper. However, because you get heavily discounted Disney tickets, I can see how the comparison might be hard. At the end of the day, only you know what you can comfortably afford and nothing we say otherwise can change that. Your daughter will likely love HP with or without an Express Pass and is lucky that you are putting the time and thought into planning this special day for her.

Thanks for the reply - I was doing the math for the express pass to upgrade to the deluxe hotel from value as for the per person cost but goo to know that it is even more if just buying sepearately - that just feels insane $ to me - but I know it is me not them

And I know she will be happy anyway - just trying to get maximum per $ ;)

If it is all about saving dollars, which I completely understand, I would ditch the hotel and put that money towards buying the express pass.

If the two younger kids can't do the parks, I can't think of anything in city walk that would appeal to them. Maybe toothsome for a milkshake, but again that runs into some money.

Express pass for Aug 29 are $110 pp park to park. But with express pass, you do not need to be there for the extra hour or even at rope drop.

If it is too big of a hassle to take them in the morning, uber/lyft is available and you could come pick them up that night and have dinner as another poster has said. They will have the seat boosters.

Of course if the inlaws will pay a part, that puts another thing to consider.

I and several other people have tried to point out that having EP makes a one day visit so much more enjoyable. If they had at least two days, EP would probably be less valuable.
1 day, I would honestly just skip it without EP no matter what the crowd prediction was esp since HPland is the primary focus along with most every one else in the park that day.

Maybe the parks with that crowd day prediction will be light and the HP rides will only be 60-75 min wait. The other rides probably around 30 min. You could easily do the HP rides 3 or 4 times in that amount of time with EP.

As for the one day universal trip costing so much, price out a one day for disney. That is just the way it runs. 1 day trips are expensive which ever way you go. 2 days at Universal will almost get you an annual pass.

We also stay in a multi bedroom condo, but get throw away rooms at a hotel with EP because with 9 people this time, it is cheaper than express passes. The only time we even see the hotel is when we pick up the express passes, or my mother may run over and take a mid day nap.

I for like the wait times you listed is the type of thing I was looking for as I have no idea what “low crowd level” at Universal means. Others have told me it would likely be 20-30 min max waits but if really upwards of 60-75 or more the. That does change my views

Yeah, I know the laws in Florida are a bit more lax with regards to car seats but we aren’t comfortable with her not having at least a booster - and of course back seat only ... is that even an option in florida for kids? We are like years away from even entertaining the thought of the front seat for any of my kids

And only under 18 for seatbelts? In NY everyone needs a seatbelt

Yes, all ages need seat belts in FLA, though law says only applies to those in the front seat.

I guess you could get your in laws to drop and pick up, as they could have a booster seat in their car for her.

When my kids needed car seats and boosters, I had three sets, one for my car, one for DH’s truck and one for my mom’s car. Easier for me, and we always rent a car since we fly, and we always took our own.

Thanks for all the input everyone - definitely still coming to terms with the idea of "paying" for any sort of "fast pass" - guess it is one of those things when you are used to something being "free" having to pay for it throws you off and makes it hard to value

If it helps, I don't think that FP and EP are comparable from that point of view. EP gets you on every ride in the parks at any time that is convenient for you with a shorter line. FP is a shorter line for 3+ rides in a scheduled window with additional restrictions (tiers). What you're getting for free there really isn't the same thing. EP is far more like the front of the line passes at Six Flags and it's in line with those sorts of prices.

But I hear you on the sticker shock of doing one day at Uni. We have never done that. We have Disney trips and Uni trips and we don't cross over. Both parks make doing single days very expensive

Thanks for all the input everyone - definitely still coming to terms with the idea of "paying" for any sort of "fast pass" - guess it is one of those things when you are used to something being "free" having to pay for it throws you off and makes it hard to value

I think also just the absolute cost for one day at Universal (with park to park) is throwing me so idea of spending even more is tough

I think what we will do is see what $ the in-laws can contribute and if they can cover some of the "upgrade" we will go for it

So, I’ve never done EPs at Universal. For the first time, we got the equivalent at Cedar Point for our annual visit there and now I totally get the love. We hit that park with early entry because we just like to. After that, we rode for a few hours then chilled at the resort for an hour or 2. Repeated that cycle all day. We never felt like we had to keep riding because we could hit all the rides with such short lines. That freed up time for those breaks, like I said, a sit down dinner, seeing some shows... it was so relaxed and different. Being able to re-ride favorites with little wait was awesome!
In your case, you have to stay somewhere anyway so I’d pay a bit more for that perk!

Thanks again for all the input everyone

The in-laws agreed to contribute so it made it an easier decision so we have a room booked at Royal Pacific so everyone will get the unlimited fast pass

I think the idea of being able to take breaks - even if not back at the resort but even like maybe take more time with a meal or something like that really appealed to my wife. Also feels like it will make the prospect of retiring things more likely

Now this is great news!

Your in laws will pitch in $ and all will stay onsite with the unlimited ep!

It is gonna be a great birthday celebration for your daughter

It will be a fantastic birthday for her and all

Awesome! Not only will be a time saver, if she really likes a ride, just do it again, and again. And if they need any help, my DD and I will be in the parks that day. I can PM my phone number, as I rarely check the boards while in vacation mode. I respond to texts more likely, than any other way.

Thanks again for all the input everyone

The in-laws agreed to contribute so it made it an easier decision so we have a room booked at Royal Pacific so everyone will get the unlimited fast pass

I think the idea of being able to take breaks - even if not back at the resort but even like maybe take more time with a meal or something like that really appealed to my wife. Also feels like it will make the prospect of retiring things more likely

Happy to hear the final outcome. They will not regret it and your daughter will have a great birthday treat for sure. Sounds like your wife will really enjoy the part I like, not having to constantly watch your watch.

Now for the big question, is your daughter going to get a wand? If so, you need to check out the stickie in this forum on the hp to dos. In fact, you need to check out the stickie anyway. The HPland at universal is amazing with so much to see. And with EP they will have time to check it out.

If she isn't going to get a wand, she can still watch as others do the magic effects. Wands are $50.

I nor anyone in my group have wands, but we still like to watch others do it.

I hope you were taking notes for your wife from all the great advice people on this thread gave you.

Nothing really needs to be planned out at Universal with EP, but it is nice to have sort of a road map so you do not miss things. I have been almost every year since they opened and I am still seeing new stuff, esp since I started getting the EP, because I have the time now.

Please come back and tell us what your family thought of using the EP and how your daughter enjoyed her birthday present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter