Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

Well, a couple of folks in their 50's here in the US have died. We really lack information. When they say a deceased patient had underlying heath issues...what does that really mean?
Do they take a thyroid or cholesterol pill once a day?
Migraines? Arthritis?
Or is it something more like...
A heart attack and bypass surgery?
Cancer currently? Or in the last 10 years?

No answers, but some general details would probably help.
I agree with you. :scratchin What exactly are they siting as the cause of death? Acute respiratory failure? Hypoxia? Organ failure? Cardiac arrest? There are currently 45 cases here in Canada, presumptive and confirmed, and no deaths, therefore no mortality data.

I spent the last few weeks contemplating canceling my trip in mid-March and finally canceled today. Though I'm not in the age group of concern, my 75 year old mother lives with me and I would be heart broken if I brought something back to her (and on top of that, my husband just had kidney stone surgery and was already out). I keep telling myself it's just an amusement park and that I can book another trip next year but I'm beyond bummed. I planned the trip for my extended family (who will still go) and I wanted to make memories with the young ones. Oh well, I guess that means I can plan another trip later this year to Disneyland (closer to home).

I have a Disney cruise scheduled for the beginning of May on the Magic. I'm glad DCL is letting cruisers cancel within 24 hours before the sail date. Delta is being iffy when it comes to changing my flights or getting a refund so we'll see how that goes.

It is looking more like I'll be changing my cruise plans though. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point. If Delta doesn't refund me I'll still fly into Miami and make the best of it but I think by then Delta will have to start refunding people for flights. Pushing my next trip/vacation another year or so until this blows over just makes sense. Plus I can save up to go on an even longer cruise in 2021. Gotta take the negative and turn it into a positive!

Panic is caused by brushing off a potential danger and not reacting until the danger is imminent and too late. Unfortunately, there’s a herd mentality associated with it.

Here is a memo from an Italian doctor at the front lines:

And here is what Fauci of HHS said about the disease risk today, setting the record straight.
Very different from what they’ve been saying even just a week ago. Seems like their tone has been about 3-4 days behind sentiment on the ground.

Coming from a family of science and medicine background, I’m just wanting to be cautious and FYI that you do not want to be included in the statistic of having Covid-19 associated pneumonia. Those with chronic pulmonary conditions such as COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, asthma, emphysema, etc. should be extra cautious. Even if you fully recover from Covid-19 pneumonia, you could have long term lung scarring and worsening of your underlying condition. Severe pulmonary cases usually show up about a week after this disease onset. The virus is more severe in the old and chronically sick, but it doesn’t discriminate against the young. Not everyone hospitalized is old just so you know.

I think, Italy's reaction is scaring people more than China's reaction.
Probably many reasons as to why, but I would include:
1. Italy is trying as best as it can not to be the next Wuhan.
2. People in the US are now more aware of the danger since the events are repeating itself, and the US will be no exception.
3. Somehow the general US population psychology can relate more with Italy (as if the virus was selective of a host’s ethnicity).

Coming from a family of science and medicine background, I’m just wanting to be cautious and FYI that you do not want to be included in the statistic of having Covid-19 associated pneumonia. Those with chronic pulmonary conditions such as COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, asthma, emphysema, etc. should be extra cautious. Even if you fully recover from Covid-19 pneumonia, you could have long term lung scarring and worsening of your underlying condition. Severe pulmonary cases usually show up about a week after this disease onset. The virus is more severe in the old and chronically sick, but it doesn’t discriminate against the young. Not everyone hospitalized is old just so you know.

Probably many reasons as to why, but I would include:
1. Italy is trying as best as it can not to be the next Wuhan.
2. People in the US are now more aware of the danger since the events are repeating itself, and the US will be no exception.
3. Somehow the general US population psychology can relate more with Italy (as if the virus was selective of a host’s ethnicity).

This is wise. It's not the flu folks. No one has been talking about the potential lung damage but that is indeed a risk.
I'm a part time care-giver to two 89-year old parents so I'm being extra cautious. A good friend who works for the front-line gov't agency told me 'there hasn't been enough testing to grasp the full scope of the situation'

I gave that some thought and realized that two plane rides, two lengthy spells in international airports and a week of touching surfaces all over WDW IMO amounts to a degree of risk I'm not willing to take because I fully expect this coming week to explode in symptomatic folks all over the country. I'm not as concerned about my own health. I just don't want to expose my parents. So yes, trip canceled and we will reschedule when this dies down.

Which it will.

Panic is caused by brushing off a potential danger and not reacting until the danger is imminent and too late. Unfortunately, there’s a herd mentality associated with it.

And here is what Fauci of HHS said about the disease risk today, setting the record straight.
Very different from what they’ve been saying even just a week ago. Seems like their tone has been about 3-4 days behind sentiment on the ground.

For anyone trying to minimize this as "just the flu," I hope karma comes home to roost. And, I don't say that lightly. We had our chance. And, it's been wasted. I expect "diagnosed" cases to skyrocket in the US, as will deaths. We haven't been testing. We do not know what we do not know. But, once testing starts in earnest, we will know, and we will learn how "not best" our medical care system is. I'm not talking about the ability to deliver care to those with insurance and means, but our ability to deliver care to those without insurance or means.

So, today is the first day that I'm now considering canceling my flight to see my parents (March 31st).

My parents are very healthy "elderly" folks. My mother is 76 and my father is 81. They've recently moved to The Villages and I've not yet seen their new home so that's all this visit was about. I'd fly into MCO, they'd pick me up, we'd hang out for a few days, go to Disney Springs for a day, etc. I'd hate to think that I'd pick something up in my travels and be incubating this thing while I'm visiting them. Then they might get it. I mean, they have no other conditions, but they aren't spring chickens either. I guess I'll just see how it goes for the next week or so.

For anyone trying to minimize this as "just the flu," I hope karma comes home to roost. And, I don't say that lightly. We had our chance. And, it's been wasted. I expect "diagnosed" cases to skyrocket in the US, as will deaths. We haven't been testing. We do not know what we do not know. But, once testing starts in earnest, we will know, and we will learn how "not best" our medical care system is. I'm not talking about the ability to deliver care to those with insurance and means, but our ability to deliver care to those without insurance or means.

It's going to be an interesting week. I'm afraid you might be right, but I sure hope you are wrong.

Well, my husband is on his way home to Atlanta from Rome through JFK as we speak. He texted me about two hours ago to tell me he was in his seat and he passed the health screening.

My husband has been in Italy since February 26th, spending most of his time is Florence as he was taking a class. I was supposed to join him on March 12th. As I have stated before, we go to Italy often. I have been more than 30 times - my mom was born there, my husband has dual citizenship, it is my happy place. I am saying all of this because I did not just throw in the towel and not go. I am comfortable there and speak the language well enough. I finally cancelled as I realized being there right now is not practical and the risk of not getting home was too high.

However, things there are escalating. Even my husband says that the tone has completely changed. His first few days there, people on the ground were saying it was contained, etc. Then people because more concerned, until about last Wednesday-Thursday where it became serious. Then there was the further lock down yesterday morning. At that point I called Delta and they moved his flight from tomorrow to today. Delta is also suspending their Atlanta-Rome flights through April 30th.

All of this to say, we really don't know what it is going to do here. We have barely tested and we don't even know all the places where it is spreading. Entire countries are not basically shutting down because it is nothing serious. Italy has an extremely fragile economy. Our relatives that live there are not only afraid of the virus, but probably more afraid of what this is going to do to the entire country financially long term.

I think, Italy's reaction is scaring people more than China's reaction.

There was a recent study done of the cases in Italy - average age of the people that contracted the virus - 60
Average age of the people that died after contracting the virus - 80
Obviously, tragic - any way you slice it, but it does tell a tale about Corona ( especially as opposed to the flu)

Well, my husband is on his way home to Atlanta from Rome through JFK as we speak. He texted me about two hours ago to tell me he was in his seat and he passed the health screening.

My husband has been in Italy since February 26th, spending most of his time is Florence as he was taking a class. I was supposed to join him on March 12th. As I have stated before, we go to Italy often. I have been more than 30 times - my mom was born there, my husband has dual citizenship, it is my happy place. I am saying all of this because I did not just throw in the towel and not go. I am comfortable there and speak the language well enough. I finally cancelled as I realized being there right now is not practical and the risk of not getting home was too high.

However, things there are escalating. Even my husband says that the tone has completely changed. His first few days there, people on the ground were saying it was contained, etc. Then people because more concerned, until about last Wednesday-Thursday where it became serious. Then there was the further lock down yesterday morning. At that point I called Delta and they moved his flight from tomorrow to today. Delta is also suspending their Atlanta-Rome flights through April 30th.

All of this to say, we really don't know what it is going to do here. We have barely tested and we don't even know all the places where it is spreading. Entire countries are not basically shutting down because it is nothing serious. Italy has an extremely fragile economy. Our relatives that live there are not only afraid of the virus, but probably more afraid of what this is going to do to the entire country financially long term.

I just saw this on the CDC site: Is this what he is planning to do? What about you? Does the spouse also have to stay in? We had a case in GA, and the spouse and kids did end up testing positive after staying in with the spouse. Please be careful, stock up on 2 weeks of food and have a plan in place. Praying you stay safe.
If you spent time in Italy during the past 14 days:
  • Stay home for 14 days from the time you left Italy and practice social distancing.

I just saw this on the CDC site: Is this what he is planning to do? What about you? Does the spouse also have to stay in? We had a case in GA, and the spouse and kids did end up testing positive after staying in with the spouse. Please be careful, stock up on 2 weeks of food and have a plan in place. Praying you stay safe.
If you spent time in Italy during the past 14 days:
  • Stay home for 14 days from the time you left Italy and practice social distancing.

He will be staying at home and that is his intention. It becomes an issue for me should he have symptoms is my understanding. We have a large home and he will stay in his own space.

I am in GA too, the guy who came home got sick and had symptoms is my understanding.

ETA: My employer is aware of the situation too and I can work from home if it is necessary.

I guess by now most have heard the US is recommending Americans not take any cruises.
So what did I see as I checked for the weather report on local TV?
A cruise line in Scandinavia advertising a 40% sale on their products.
Back to TCM for me, LOL.
There's a tv show on AWE channel called Dream Cruises. A newer season started and we recorded those. Yeah 10 episodes right now all about glorious cruise travels throughout the world. Ordinarily this would have been great fun to watch, maybe moreso this year because we were seriously considering a cruise before all the virus stuff. But alas I don't have that high of interest in watching those episodes when I was wanting to plan a cruise, we opted to not think seriously about a cruise over a month ago and now I don't want to be reminded about the places I could see if I watch them. I think I'll let them sit on the DVR for a while..

So now I’m wondering how much intubation/ventilation equipment exists in our health region and if it’s something hospitals can acquire more of on short notice, :scratchin

Prayers for you both. If you can find it, maybe order some microban 24. It's a product that will continue to kill germs on a hard surface for up to 24 hours. You could keep your door handles and remotes and frig handles etc covered. I had a hard time finding it but finally did last night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter