Is anyone else worried about opening up again

We have multiple police chiefs in my state saying they won't enforce anything having to do with Safer at Home because they don't agree with it. :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: Can we fire them??

We have some here too, though they're sheriffs (elected) rather than police chiefs (who could theoretically be fired). I don't really blame them, though, because they mostly represent very rural areas without any/many cases and have limited staff and funding to begin with. I can totally see how someone in charge of law enforcement in a county with four cases wouldn't deem breaking up family gatherings or chasing down fishermen for using a boat with a motor as a good use of resources.

I saw comments from people who saw the increase in positives listed last Friday for my state as like "say what why are we even talking about phased reopening". Well if they were informed, as it appeared they wanted to be, they would know the state and health department warned an increase was due to increased testing in the SW part of our state (rural counties) and meat processing facilities and that the state is not concerned about those numbers; they expect them, they hope to find more asymptomatic people, etc. 210/295 cases came from the rural communities alone across 4 different counties with 1 counties taking the testing amount they have and doing agressive contact tracing and those cases are across the state way from us. Discussing state level reopening vs community level reopening makes a big difference where the numbers of coming from IMO and to the outside public.

There's one news outlet in my state that has been doing an incredible job with their coverage, and one of the metrics they're tracking and putting in their daily charts is the percentage of tests that come back positive. I've heard quite a few experts talk about this as an important number, but when I've looked for it for other states, it really doesn't seem like an easy one to find in many places. But it does a better job than raw case counts of giving context as testing rates increase. More tests almost always results in higher numbers, but it is a misunderstanding of the data (and a disincentive to expanding testing, from a public perception POV) to characterize that sort of increase as a bad thing.

It is nice that your state gave a heads' up on those numbers. Mine recently started testing prison populations and hasn't been very transparent about how those positives - around half of inmates at the one facility where results are back! - are being reported. They're not reflected in the county counts for the prison's location, and it is hard to see if/how they're figured into the daily counts. I wish the state was being more transparent about that data and how it effects overall totals, because 800 cases in a single prison is more than enough to skew the state's trend line when they were all tested over the span of a couple of days.

Oh girlfriend...no, not yet.

Why? If hospitals meet guidelines that are in place to allow it, why are you against starting elective procedures?

Do you have any idea how far-reaching and how long after this wave of Covid that hospitals (and patients) will be suffering due to the (necessary for a time) stoppage of elective procedure and preventive visits?

Any idea of the magnitude of economic loss this has caused hospitals and now employees and surrounding communities? Some hospitals won't make it, especially in the lower income communities that need them most. Non-clinical and clinical (yes, even doctors) are having salary cuts, being furloughed and just plain laid off.

The amount of unemployment this is going to cause is staggering. States are already running out of money, that extra $600 a week until July 31 isn't going to help much now that the white collar workers are being laid off too. And where is the Federal government? Crickets...

Open your eyes. Keep the movies, the bars, restaurants closed until safer- but don't be so flippant about hospitals the need to be seeing people.

Everyone is going to feel this in the end.

Why? If hospitals meet guidelines that are in place to allow it, why are you against starting elective procedures?

Do you have any idea how far-reaching and how long after this wave of Covid that hospitals (and patients) will be suffering due to the (necessary for a time) stoppage of elective procedure and preventive visits?

Any idea of the magnitude of economic loss this has caused hospitals and now employees and surrounding communities? Some hospitals won't make it, especially in the lower income communities that need them most. Non-clinical and clinical (yes, even doctors) are having salary cuts, being furloughed and just plain laid off.

The amount of unemployment this is going to cause is staggering. States are already running out of money, that extra $600 until July 31 isn't going to help much now that the white collar workers are being laid off too. And where is the Federal government? Crickets...

Open your eyes.

First of all...that post was how many days ago? And I'm a nurse in a hot sport. So yes I do know the reality of the situation. Eyes are wide open. Come join me for a day.

1. The Post is a trash rag. Not usually a place to get real news. But...

2. Assuming they didn't take liberties with that doctor's statements Ive very interested in this statement she made...

This was striking, because the community I serve is poor. Some are homeless. Most work in “essential,” low-paying jobs, where distancing isn’t easy. Nevertheless, the wave passed over us, peaked and subsided. The way this transpired tells me the ebb and flow had more to do with the natural course of the outbreak than it did with the lockdown.

The amount of unemployment this is going to cause is staggering. States are already running out of money, that extra $600 a week until July 31 isn't going to help much now that the white collar workers are being laid off too. And where is the Federal government? Crickets...

Open your eyes. Keep the movies, the bars, restaurants closed until safer- but don't be so flippant about hospitals the need to be seeing people.

I think for some...it's their goal.

Last edited:
I agree...the numbers are what they are. And the numbers are pretty good right now because we’ve all been staying home. We’ve been doing this for six weeks where I live.

We’re entering a new phase in this crisis. There’s a group of people who want us to “herd immunity” our way through this thing. Ok, that’s fine. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But many of us aren’t going to that.

So I say...go ahead, have at it. If some states want to try the “herd immunity” route....great. Do your thing. I see it as “thinning the herd”’ but what do I know.
I am not being obstinate, but that is exactly the plan that they (state dept of health) are working. Our state dept of health flat out said they are working to "manage a slow managed spread of the disease through the community" so that they eventually get the herd immunity or a vaccine. They just are doing it at a rate that is manageable versus fast and furious.

There's one news outlet in my state that has been doing an incredible job with their coverage, and one of the metrics they're tracking and putting in their daily charts is the percentage of tests that come back positive. I've heard quite a few experts talk about this as an important number, but when I've looked for it for other states, it really doesn't seem like an easy one to find in many places. But it does a better job than raw case counts of giving context as testing rates increase. More tests almost always results in higher numbers, but it is a misunderstanding of the data (and a disincentive to expanding testing, from a public perception POV) to characterize that sort of increase as a bad thing.
This is so true and I’m glad I was able to find that data for my state (Wisconsin). Daily new cases started getting higher the last few days, and those numbers by themselves were discouraging. But then I saw more info and it showed that they’ve also done more tests. In terms of the percentage of positives out of daily tests, it’s stayed relatively consistent, just a few spikes of a couple percent.

I have seen this as well and play out.

My county does inclue the positive percentage and as a daily tally with starting that daily tally on April 7th.

My state also does a positive percentage listed but I don't see a daily tally just an overall percentage. The information lately regarding an increase of cases helps put the present positive percentage increase that I've seen just by keeping track over the days into perspective.

It is nice that your state gave a heads' up on those numbers.
I kinda get my info from a variety of sources and piece it together.

The local news is where I mostly get my info from as far as the outbreaks and exact numbers related to those outbreaks and how much money this or that is.

Listening to the news conferences the Governor does and the Secretary for the state's Health Department who talks in those conferences are where I get some information regarding the peak passing, discussion regarding likely shifting efforts to regional within the state rather than holding the whole state to a stay at home, increased efforts in rural counties and meat processing for testing, loosening up of testing restrictions (2 symptoms total rather than a fever and two symptoms), etc.

My county's dashboard has a good amount of information and they do a quick 2-4 mins daily update videos (about a day behind in the numbers though). Each day they talk about different things. Yesterday's daily update discussed the drop in EMS calls and concerns that people aren't calling in for medical emergencies. I haven't listened to today's update yet though. Their dedicated webpage has discussioned reopening efforts, updates to specific dates things are effective for, etc. Also the randomized but invite only testing by filling out a survey so they can get a better idea of the spread throughout the county and those not exhibiting symptoms as well as those who are and those employed in essential businesses. The county heavily utilized Nextdoor social networking site to get the info out on that survey. That's where I saw the information first actually.

Mine recently started testing prison populations and hasn't been very transparent about how those positives - around half of inmates at the one facility where results are back! - are being reported. They're not reflected in the county counts for the prison's location, and it is hard to see if/how they're figured into the daily counts. I wish the state was being more transparent about that data and how it effects overall totals, because 800 cases in a single prison is more than enough to skew the state's trend line when they were all tested over the span of a couple of days.
I agree knowing where that number is being plugged into means something. Prison outbreaks and long-term care outbreaks are bad enough but they are also isolated places that present a different type of risk to the general population when discussing how a state is fairing and any plans for reopening.

Looking at the county where the largest prison outbreak is at in my state it's being included in their county's figures as far as the inmates. I would assume the staff are being calculated in their place of residence whatever county that may be but I could be wrong in that. I haven't checked other counties where a prison has been mentioned as having cases though.

First of all...that post was how many days ago? And I'm a nurse in a hot sport. So yes I do know the reality of the situation. Eyes are wide open. Come join me for a day.
You being in a hotspot probably has kept your hospitals busy for long enough not to feel the effects others have and that's just a practical statement.

There's cases in my metro (not anywhere near what some of these places are experiences but still) but lordy the hospitals are suffering. Another one just announced today "its chief executive officer, other executives and department chairs would take a voluntary 20% decrease in salary. Other staff members, including physicians, directors and exempt employees, were notified that their salaries would be cut between 5-15%." "The cuts come at a time when elective surgeries and clinic visits have decreased, while expenses due to the pandemic have increased" Many rural hospitals in my state and the one next to me are suffering.

It's a very real issue just as much as the very real issue that some areas have gotten to the breaking point because they don't have enough resources to keep up with the COVID-19 patients. Different sides of the coin. Each place should be weighing that out.

Wisconsin has done a great job of showing stats, broken down by county on our Department of Health's website.

You being in a hotspot probably has kept your hospitals busy for long enough not to feel the effects others have and that's just a practical statement.

There's cases in my metro (not anywhere near what some of these places are experiences but still) but lordy the hospitals are suffering. Another one just announced today "its chief executive officer, other executives and department chairs would take a voluntary 20% decrease in salary. Other staff members, including physicians, directors and exempt employees, were notified that their salaries would be cut between 5-15%." "The cuts come at a time when elective surgeries and clinic visits have decreased, while expenses due to the pandemic have increased" Many rural hospitals in my state and the one next to me are suffering.

It's a very real issue just as much as the very real issue that some areas have gotten to the breaking point because they don't have enough resources to keep up with the COVID-19 patients. Different sides of the coin. Each place should be weighing that out.
Meanwhile (same metro area) my friend's husband had his double hernia surgery cancelled. He continues to work a physical job, hoping for the best, waiting for when they'll allow him to get it fixed.

I hear you. Right now it’s hard to weigh out. While things have seen a smidge hopeful here, I can’t say it’s because the situation is better or we’re more organized at the moment.

My brother just got an appointment for an X ray of his hip. I was very confused when he said it was Sunday, May 3rd so I called back to verify. She told me they were going to be doing procedures seven days a week to catch up on the backlog. I can't even imagine how busy they must be.

I don't think anyone is suggesting hospitals in hot spots reopen for non-essential procedures. But it would be nice if hospitals in minimally-impacted areas could provide needed medical care, rather than sitting around waiting to go bankrupt for lack of patients. In my county, there have only been a few hundred cases. There have also been some cases, a few dozen as I understand it, transferred from fuller Detroit-area hospitals during our peak. But the hospital is currently reporting 56% of beds are empty, nurses and support staff are seeing their hours cut, and people are going without care that would prevent more serious issues down the road.

This is so true and I’m glad I was able to find that data for my state (Wisconsin). Daily new cases started getting higher the last few days, and those numbers by themselves were discouraging. But then I saw more info and it showed that they’ve also done more tests. In terms of the percentage of positives out of daily tests, it’s stayed relatively consistent, just a few spikes of a couple percent.

Here, it has been steady improvement. Around our peak, more than 40% of administered tests were positive - at one point, we had the highest percentage of positive tests in the country, even worse than NYC. Now, the case counts bounce up and down with the number of tests performed but the percentage of positives has fallen to 10%. But the media mostly runs the new cases/new deaths figures, with no mention of the test count or the percentage that are positive.

Listening to the news conferences the Governor does and the Secretary for the state's Health Department who talks in those conferences are where I get some information regarding the peak passing, discussion regarding likely shifting efforts to regional within the state rather than holding the whole state to a stay at home, increased efforts in rural counties and meat processing for testing, loosening up of testing restrictions (2 symptoms total rather than a fever and two symptoms), etc.

My county's dashboard has a good amount of information and they do a quick 2-4 mins daily update videos (about a day behind in the numbers though). Each day they talk about different things. Yesterday's daily update discussed the drop in EMS calls and concerns that people aren't calling in for medical emergencies. I haven't listened to today's update yet though. Their dedicated webpage has discussioned reopening efforts, updates to specific dates things are effective for, etc. Also the randomized but invite only testing by filling out a survey so they can get a better idea of the spread throughout the county and those not exhibiting symptoms as well as those who are and those employed in essential businesses. The county heavily utilized Nextdoor social networking site to get the info out on that survey. That's where I saw the information first actually.

I agree knowing where that number is being plugged into means something. Prison outbreaks and long-term care outbreaks are bad enough but they are also isolated places that present a different type of risk to the general population when discussing how a state is fairing and any plans for reopening.

Looking at the county where the largest prison outbreak is at in my state it's being included in their county's figures as far as the inmates. I would assume the staff are being calculated in their place of residence whatever county that may be but I could be wrong in that. I haven't checked other counties where a prison has been mentioned as having cases though.

Our governor has started talking about a regional approach as well, and I think it is a great idea. Where I'm at right now - I went up north the minute we weren't specifically prohibited from doing so - has only had 4 cases (and I haven't seen another soul other than my girls and some people walking in the distance on trails since we arrived, so I'm no risk to their good record ;) ). It seems unnecessarily disruptive to have businesses here subjected to the same rules that apply in Detroit, where there have been something like 12,000 cases so far. Particularly with travel restrictions in effect, as they were until Friday, or recommendations that people traveling wear masks and avoid shopping if they do come up.

I was surprised that they aren't counting the prisons in the county numbers here, but I suppose it makes a sort of sense. Most of our prisons are in rural areas and including inmate counts would massively skew the overall case rate which might impact how the counties are treated under regional reopening standards. And that wouldn't really make sense - it isn't as though those 800 positive inmates are out in the community creating a higher risk of transmission at the local grocery store or park. Our county is pretty tech-adverse - our only updates come from a daily infographic posted to Facebook - but we've got a great non-profit news outlet that covers the whole state and really does an excellent job breaking down the numbers.

Sounds like local politics to me. I live in a town that is very conservative, but the police officers are not locals. The folks in my town would all act like idiots, and some have. But the cops are enforcing the policy, so they have had to follow the rules. I wonder if these officers will be fired when this is over and done with.

Just found out yesterday that the house catercorner to this "party" house had someone just die from Covid a day or two ago, which is literally directly behind the house across the street from me. :(

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter