Is anyone else worried about opening up again

anniemae

Either she is eating a delicious
I keep hearing how the quarantine is working and the curve is flattening. I worry that when we start to slowly open things up again we will see a spike in the virus. Once we all start mingling again and going to restaurants, movies, hair salons etc. Won't we just start spreading it again? The virus did not disappear while we were all inside. I know we still have to social distance and things will be more spread out, but people are having a hard time following the rules now. Once the boundaries are relaxed, people will just go back to old habits I think. OTOH, we can't stay inside forever.

I definitely am concerned but at the same time the reason for social distancing and closing everything was supposed to be to make sure the hospitals could be prepared and not overwhelmed.
This was supposed to be a for a limited time.
Suddenly it turned into needing a vaccine or cure and this will be the new norm until the vaccine can get to the masses in 18 months.
I think the antibody test needs to be ramped up since supposedly 50-86% of people are asymptomatic and their body was able to create a level of immunity.
We could more safely get back to normal if we knew the majority of peole have that immunity.

Watch Georgia and see what happens...
Hair salons and tattoo shops open Friday

Monday restaurants and cinemas open

I’m taking a pass ....

Staying at home has worked for me and will continue to follow that plan for now.

Concerned and not concerned. Regardless of health concerns, I also realize there is no way the country can stay shut down for another year or so until a vaccine is done. Opening up slowly now, or this October isn't going to make a difference, at least in my opinion. I'd say start opening necessities\life type stuff now with proper safety\health procedures. With that said, as much as I hate to say it, I don't think things like theme parks, movie theaters or sports venues should be opening any time soon. I do think malls, restaurants, everyday living type places should start opening everywhere, again, with precautions and safety guidelines in place.

Watch Georgia and see what happens...
Hair salons and tattoo shops open Friday

Monday restaurants and cinemas open

I’m taking a pass ....

Staying at home has worked for me and will continue to follow that plan for now.

Its gonna be a while before the open where I live and the thing that has been driving me nuts through this is that I was supposed to have a tattoo completed the week before everything around here closed but my artist was sick (who knows if it was with Covid or something else). I could have been quarantining and healing my tattoo with no bra (its located where my bra strap goes).

I keep hearing how the quarantine is working and the curve is flattening. I worry that when we start to slowly open things up again we will see a spike in the virus. Once we all start mingling again and going to restaurants, movies, hair salons etc. Won't we just start spreading it again? The virus did not disappear while we were all inside. I know we still have to social distance and things will be more spread out, but people are having a hard time following the rules now. Once the boundaries are relaxed, people will just go back to old habits I think. OTOH, we can't stay inside forever.

I think relaxing the boundaries as opposed to taking them away completely is what needs to be done in areas that have started to flatten "their" curve.
I think there are things that can be opened with reasonable restrictions in place at first. IMO beaches in FL are that, allowing small retail businesses to open (and be subject to the same policies as the "essential" stores) is reasonable.
I do not think we should be rushing to open places where large crowds gather for long periods of time, like restaurants, theaters, etc.
I personally would not go to those places just yet, so even if they are opened, people are still free to make their own choices about going there, or even going out period.
We can't stay locked up forever, we need to start getting to whatever our new normal is going to be.

I definitely am concerned but at the same time the reason for social distancing and closing everything was supposed to be to make sure the hospitals could be prepared and not overwhelmed.
This was supposed to be a for a limited time.
Suddenly it turned into needing a vaccine or cure and this will be the new norm until the vaccine can get to the masses in 18 months.

Just because the intent behind the strategy of shutdown has been misconstrued, distorted and inflated isn't sound logical reasoning to change course on a dime. Lots of unknowns are being dealt with. Many signs point to shutdown and social distancing having some positive impact on the numbers of people needing hospitalization and intensive medical intervention, keeping the medical system functioning.
It seems logical that the same process it took to reach the point where shutting down was determined to be the logical choice for what was known about the virus and the upward trending spread at the time would also apply to assessing current conditions in light of new knowledge obtained and using that to reopen whatever is possible in the safest manner and timeframes possible.

Last edited:
I've been able to work from home so have kept my kids at home the last 3 weeks, but they are about to have us working in the office again, which means my kids are back in childcare... So it will be hard for us to stay away from exposure I think. We will still be staying home when we're not working, but I'm not sure how much good it will do. :(

I agree that there comes a point where we start to open slowly, slow enough that it continues spreading but at a manageable rate. But opening one industry and then opening another 3 days later isn't doing it slowly. My state is opening everything up May 1. Of course our numbers will spike again... The question will just be if it spikes to a "maintainable" level. I'm not sure it will.

I am concerned. And yes, you will see another spike. Count on it. But the point of the shutdown was not so we'd wait out the virus (although that would be nice if it just gave up and went somewhere else). The point was to help the hospitals cope. With the exception of some areas, it appears that less populated areas think they can cope. So let them open and we will see what happens. I'm personally not comfortable with it given that my age is kind of on the cusp of being okay/not okay with regards to the severe illness/death rate. If I lived in Georgia, I'd probably end up isolating more, not less, in order to account for the others getting out and about.

At some point, it's got to happen so I don't mind sitting back and watching the less populated states get on with it and see what happens.

Well my state of TN is apparently volunteering for guinea pig...though my city has been stricter than the state government and will likely not follow opening next week. We will not be going out for a month after they open....waiting to see how much of a spike we see

Just because the intent behind the strategy of shutdown has been misconstrued, distorted and inflated isn't sound logical reasoning to change course on a dime. Lots of unknowns are being dealt with. Many signs point to shutdown and social distancing having some positive impact on the numbers of people needing hospitalization and intensive medical intervention, keeping the medical system functioning.
It seems logical that the same process it took to reach the point where shutting down was determined to be the logical choice for what was known about the virus and the upward trending spread at the time would also apply to assessing current conditions in light of knew knowledge obtained and using that to reopen whatever is possible in the safest manner and timeframes possible.

Where did I say I wanted to change course on a dime?
I understand the reasoning for continued social distancing and closures.
I was simply poointing out that the intent was not to find a miracle cure/vaccine in the begining..

I’m really happy how our area is handling things. The leaders make all their decisions based on advice of medical professionals. They don’t plan on rushing anything and will open things very slowly when Public Health says it’s ok.

Its gonna be a while before the open where I live and the thing that has been driving me nuts through this is that I was supposed to have a tattoo completed the week before everything around here closed but my artist was sick (who knows if it was with Covid or something else). I could have been quarantining and healing my tattoo with no bra (its located where my bra strap goes).

can we see what he has done?

We live in TN, &, yes, I’m concerned.

Our county though is one of the ones “exempt” from the governor’s order of opening back up on May 1st. But I’m not sure exactly what that will mean.

I told our kids that, for us, May will look a lot like April, & we will continue to shelter at home & wait to see what happens once people start going back out.

I realize too that there are a lot of people out of work, so I understand wanting the economy to open back up. And I realize we’ve been fortunate since DH is an essential employee & has continued going to work.

But I still worry. I wish people would take social distancing recommendations seriously - even after things begin opening back up. But they won’t.

I think relaxing the boundaries as opposed to taking them away completely is what needs to be done in areas that have started to flatten "their" curve.
I think there are things that can be opened with reasonable restrictions in place at first. IMO beaches in FL are that, allowing small retail businesses to open (and be subject to the same policies as the "essential" stores) is reasonable.
I do not think we should be rushing to open places where large crowds gather for long periods of time, like restaurants, theaters, etc.
I personally would not go to those places just yet, so even if they are opened, people are still free to make their own choices about going there, or even going out period.
We can't stay locked up forever, we need to start getting to whatever our new normal is going to be.
I agree, people should have the freedom to make their own choices, not everyone will rush to the same lifestyle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter