Is a Delta 39 min layover doable at MSP?

Regarding the thread title taken all by itself, the correct reply is, "Not enough information to answer the question." Many an argument has taken place, sometimes in the workplace, sometimes in a Victorian architectured and furnished hgih ceilinged library over tea, when one person succeeded and re-iterated that the answer was "yes" and expected another person who failed to to have succeeded also.

If you travel that route frequently and regularly for work and you know that you make the connection most of the time, then it is acceptable to keep booking that route despite the few occurrences that you miss the connection, unless instructed otherwise.

For a once in a lifetime (or a twice a year) Disney trip, I do not recommend it.

Since the connection time is above the legal minimum, you are entitled to book that trip, say for the lower fare, and the airline must complete your trip for no more money if you do miss the connection.

If you originally booked the trip with a longer connection time and the schedule was changed to produce such a short connection time then you get to hand pick for free alternate flights with the reason "I don't like the short connection" regardless of how little the departure and arrival times changed.

For a once in a lifetime (or a twice a year) Disney trip, I do not recommend it.

Since the connection time is above the legal minimum, you are entitled to book that trip, say for the lower fare, and the airline must complete your trip for no more money if you do miss the connection.

Based on the OPs desire to work a full day alternative flights would depart the following day. Missing the connection would likely get the OP to WDW earlier then booking a flight the following day from her departure airport.

The negative is the possibility of paying for a hotel room near the connecting airport or spending the night sleeping in the airport. The airline might claim weather is the reason for a flight delay which reduces the airline's obligation to pay for a hotel room.

I'd research exactly what gates are typically used for the 2 flights.

Be honest with yourself. Will you really be able to make it a full day of work? I know my mind would be somewhere else for at least 1/2 the day even with out the stress of making that connection

I don't know what kind of work the OP does. The question may be as simple as not having an extra vacation day available or needing to use the vacation day for another trip.

Hi Mary, could you help me determine that? I'm coming in from FSD. I'd love any help. Thank you!!

Hey Kelli,

Go to delta.com and there's a function called Flight Status. Type in FSD to MSP and it will show you all the flights for today on that route. Click the one that you are on and it will show you what gate it is supposed to come in on today. Then there are buttons at the bottom to see the previous day or tomorrow.

I looked last night and if you are coming in after the work day and planning to get the last flight out to MCO, you must be coming in on the flight that arrives around 6:25pm. That fits with the last flight to MCO being around 7:00pm.

That FSD flight came in to the D concourse twice and then today, it's scheduled on the F concourse.

The last MCO flight likes to leave from G2 consistently.

If you are on the F concourse, I wouldn't worry. D concourse would be a bit tighter.

Yeah, it's not quite as simple as just wanting to work that day. It's pretty much a have to. But thank you though, I wish I could take that entire day off! Ha.

I appreciate all of the advise. And Mary, you are awesome!! I'm going to check out Delta right now. :) Thanks so much!

Yeah, it's not quite as simple as just wanting to work that day. It's pretty much a have to. But thank you though, I wish I could take that entire day off! Ha.

Call Delta, as long as the connection is "legal" book it. An airline won't allow a connection if there isn't a reasonable expectation of making it. Go light with your carryon bag, sit near the front of the plane and go directly to the gate. Don't stop to get something to eat. Don't stop to go to the bathroom.

You're not flying with your kids. You don't have the option of taking an earlier flight.

I appreciate all of the advise. And Mary, you are awesome!! I'm going to check out Delta right now. :) Thanks so much!

I hear ya, there were days at my old job I'd have to take the red eye becuase the schedule dictated I had to be in there that day. Sometimes we're not in charge of our own schedules ;)

Call Delta, as long as the connection is "legal" book it. An airline won't allow a connection if there isn't a reasonable expectation of making it. Go light with your carryon bag, sit near the front of the plane and go directly to the gate. Don't stop to get something to eat. Don't stop to go to the bathroom.

You're not flying with your kids. You don't have the option of taking an earlier flight.

I agree. I've had SW hold a plane for us to make our connection in Atlanta, I don't see why Delta would be any different. Do remind the crew 1/2 way through your flight that you have a tight connection to make. If they think it might be had for you they can call ahead and tell the ramp agent & pilot to hold the plane for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter