Is a Delta 39 min layover doable at MSP?

Lovemy3babes

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have experience and can tell me if a 39 minute layover at MSP is cutting it too close? We'd be coming from FSD and going to MCO flying on Delta. The flight there is a 39 minute layover and the flight back would be just 46 minutes. The flight there is also not scheduled to land until 11:12pm so I also worry it's the last flight of the day. Any help? Thank you!

I have never flown through MSP, so I cannot speak to the layout of their airport. But, back in '06, my family flew American Airlines from IND to MSY, with a 55 minute layover at ORD. We arrived at our gate and could see the plane, but the doors were closed and we watched our plane pull away (several minutes later). We dealt with many rude people before finally being booked on another flight more than 7 hours later. However, our luggage did make it onto our original flight. It was sitting in baggage claim waiting for us. Returning from MSY to IND we had a 45 minute layover at DFW. This time when we arrived at our gate, the attendant had tickets for the next flight in hand--as our flight had once again just closed the door. These are the only two flights I have ever missed.

From these experiences I learned that, if you are traveling with children, you should really have a layover of about 1 1/2 hours. That should be enough time to make it to your next gate, and even give the first flight a little bit of time to be late. If there is another flight option that gives you just a little bit more leeway in your layover time, I'd grab it.

Hope this helps,

JenIN

Does anyone have experience and can tell me if a 39 minute layover at MSP is cutting it too close? We'd be coming from FSD and going to MCO flying on Delta. The flight there is a 39 minute layover and the flight back would be just 46 minutes. The flight there is also not scheduled to land until 11:12pm so I also worry it's the last flight of the day. Any help? Thank you!
MSP is a huge airport and depending on your arrival gate and where your departure gate is, it could take up to 30 minutes to get to your connecting flight. Keep in mind that because your plane lands at a certain time and they say you have a 39 minute layover, by the time they open the airplane door, and you get off the airplane it could be at least 10 minutes before you actually set foot in the airport. They do have moving walkways, trams and golf carts to transport people to other gates, however we'd never chance a 39 minute layover. If we were in your situation, we'd look to change to a flight with at least an hour layover if not more.

I have flown from FSD into MSP (on business and pleasure). The airport is, I think, easy to get around (everything is clearly marked), but I also had longer layovers each time I flew in so I was able to take my time to get to where I needed to be. With a layover that short (also provided your plane lands on time), you would probably need to be among the first off the plane and hope that the departure gate isn't on the other side of the terminal. I also would be worried about my luggage making the connection.

All in all, it does seem like too short a layover for comfort. I would look for a longer layover. MSP has several good stores and food places to explore in the meantime.

If your 1st flight arrives on time, it's doable, but depending on where the gates are, you will need to walk fast, use the tram, the moving walkways, or grab a cart w/driver. No bathroom stops until you get to your departing gate.

Ugh, I was afraid of that. I was really hoping to get on this flight so I am able to work a full day of work. Shoot, shoot. Why are they even allowed to have layovers that short if they are really, really hard to make?!

We live in a rural area and our only choice is to connect through MSP. We would never be able to make that conncetion as we come in the gate where the small commuter planes come in and always have to get to the complete opposite side of the airport for the large jets. In my opinion, I would avoid unless you knew for sure where the gates are.

We live in a rural area and our only choice is to connect through MSP. We would never be able to make that conncetion as we come in the gate where the small commuter planes come in and always have to get to the complete opposite side of the airport for the large jets. In my opinion, I would avoid unless you knew for sure where the gates are.

Wish me luck! This is what I'm doing in December. We have 40 minutes to get off the puddle jumper, ride the shuttle bus to the main terminal, and then RUN to the next gate...all with 3 kids in tow! It's a morning flight, so if we miss it hopefully we can get on the next one out! At least on the way back I'll have 3 hours for a layover. I hope our vacation starts out on a good note. :rolleyes1

If the flight is a Delta plane to Delta plane it won't be a problem if the plan is on time. That gate are really close together for Delta as MSP. I've done this many times. If the plane is late it is possible that they will hold your connection until you can board.

The biggest problem is that Delta and Northwest are the same. If you fly on a Northwest plane on eaither segment that could put you anywhere in the airport.

I would suggest you do this. While in flight ask a flight attendant, if you will make you flight. Just say "I have a 39 minute layover and we need to get to gate X1, do you think we will make it?"

The flight attendent can do certain things, such as having a cart meet you to take to your next flight, let you unboard first, or just tell you how far it is to the gate.

That would make me really nervous, especially because it is the last flight of the day. Who wants to spend the night at the airport? All the Delta flights were in one spot, but that is not the case anymore. Since the merger with NWA, they have taken over all of those locations - which are all over the airport. They now have flights from Concourses A, B, C, D, F, and G! That is anywhere in the airport except concourse E.

http://www.mspairport.com/maps.aspx

If the flight is a Delta plane to Delta plane it won't be a problem if the plan is on time. That gate are really close together for Delta as MSP. I've done this many times. If the plane is late it is possible that they will hold your connection until you can board.

The biggest problem is that Delta and Northwest are the same. If you fly on a Northwest plane on eaither segment that could put you anywhere in the airport.

Not necessarily ... we've always flown Delta through MSP and more often than not, we've come in on concourse C and our connecting flight was on concourse G (which are across the terminal from each other) ... it all depends on where you are flying from. And they don't always hold the flight for connecting passengers :sad2: ...

I would say no. We just did this (DEN-GRB) on Delta and ended up spending the night at MSP. The flight had a 55 minute connection when we booked it several months earlier but had changed to 42 minutes as they adjusted schedules. Flight was delayed a bit by weather that they had to detour around and they were nice enough to tell us as we pulled into the airport that all connecting flights had not been held and had already left and we were all out of luck.

I was in touch with my husband who was telling us our connector to GRB was still there (delayed as well) so when we touched down, my son sprinted over there (also concourse C to G) and although the plane was still there, they adamantly refused to let us (or the other 4 pax waiting) to board.

They were also nice enough to put us up at a crappy Days Inn which about 45 minutes later sent one small van to pick up the approximately 40 people waiting (even though I called them twice and told them there were a LOT of people going there). We literally had about 6 people per each bench seat that held 3 and a few people sitting on the floor (it was getting near midnight at this point).

Also frustrating because no one could tell us for sure if we needed to pull our luggage from the carousels, if we'd need to pay again the next day, if we even COULD get to our luggage (a change of clothes would have been nice!), so we ended up waiting at the carousel just to make sure our luggage didn't come off (it didn't). I was just happy that I had my toiletries, phone charger, a t-shirt to sleep in, and a change of underwear for the next day!

On the plus side, at least we were coming home. Would be even more frustrating on the way to Disney!

The OP has to decide which is worse. Definitely missing all or part of a day of work? Getting to WDW the next day? Possibility of missing the connecting flight?

Given a reasonable alternative I'd switch. Otherwsie try to sit near the front of the plane. Go light with your carryon stuff. Plan on rushing to the next gate.

Assume the OP has to work. I'd take the possibility of missing my connecting flight and arriving at MCO the next day over the certainty of leaving the next morning and getting to WDW even later in the day.

Also frustrating because no one could tell us for sure if we needed to pull our luggage from the carousels, if we'd need to pay again the next day, if we even COULD get to our luggage (a change of clothes would have been nice!), so we ended up waiting at the carousel just to make sure our luggage didn't come off (it didn't). !
I would say it is safe to assume that your baggage checked through to your destination will continue to be checked through to your destination.

Unless someone explicity tells you otherwise on the spot by announcing it to the crowd at least twice.

In other words don't go to the carousel in order that you don't ask the question of whether you have to pay the baggage charge again thus not giving them the chance to answer yes.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

Thanks everyone. :) I'm really frustrated with this very small layover. Thankfully it will be just myself and I won't have my kiddos. I'm still mulling it over. I do need to decide though before the prices go up, which is also a little stressful. I appreciate the advice, tips and stories posted. Being stuck or having to sprint through an airport is no fun!

Kelli,

Where are you coming in from?

If the flight you are coming in on is on a regular schedule, you can check to see where that flight usually comes in on.

For example, I can tell you that the old NWA586 would always leave from G15-18 and it always arrives at MCO at gate 38.

Your flight might come in the same gate, or bank of gates. If so, you can do the same with your flight to MCO and see how far you probably will have to go.

Mary

I have to say that if you are coming in with a little puddle jumper, you come in to certain parts of the airport as a lot of the little planes cannot connect to the tunnel so lots of the small ones come in on one end of the airport and the jets are in other places. Chances are with a puddle jumper you will not be across the hall from your connecting gate.

I also know what when it was Northwest, I would book it if it was pretty far in advance as they made so many changes to their flights that ie NEVER ended up being what I booked. As soon as I would see the time change and the connction get too small, I would call and re-book immediately.

The "legal" minimum connect time at MSP for Delta is 30 to 35 minutes depending on the flight. This assumes everything is on time!

Be honest with yourself. Will you really be able to make it a full day of work? I know my mind would be somewhere else for at least 1/2 the day even with out the stress of making that connection :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter