Is “Dream”ing of a Larger Cruise Ship a good thing? I do “Wonder”

queenie82

Queen of the 5 Castles
As you will see in my sig I did do a TR about my trip on the Disney Wonder. Well I have now done the same cruise (same time of year, same destinations, same length) but on the Disney Dream.

There were a number of positives that could and can be described about Disney’s new Cruise ships. Compared to the mega ships the other companies have on offer, the Disney Wonder and Magic are dwarfed. Even the Dream dwarfs them. But is bigger really a good thing? Have Disney made the most of having a larger ship? Have they learnt from the mistakes made on the Magic and Wonder and actually improved things? Or have they just made different mistakes and cut corners?

I approached going on this new ship with a positive attitude overall. Much effort had gone into room selection on this cruise so THIS is where my TR will begin.

But I will also discuss other aspects of the ships – as my expectations of the shows and restaurants were high, as well as…of course….the AQUADUCK!!!! Yet I have been left quite disappointed and I think preferring the Wonder, so I’ll try and explain the pros and cons that come with the different ships.

Doing this I think will take longer than I hope due to ill health and a pile of other stuff to sort through, and the sheer number of photos I need to go through not just for this…but for work. But I do want to try and assist in you choosing a Disney Cruise and knowing what to expect, so will do my best in sharing my experience.

One thing I should point out. This was a cruise partaken by 4 adults. I have NO information whatsoever on the kids clubs.

So first of all you need to check in at the cruise terminal. A car had been hired for an earlier aspect of the trip so we went to the terminal by car. Arriving by 11am. 11am is the earliest time you can check in. Despite this though, if you are staying onsite at a Disney resort you won’t find yourself arriving until about 2-3pm. Why? Ask Disney. Trust me…you are the ones missing out by using their transport…missing out on lunch on the ship as well as using the facilities (AQUADUCK) with less people around.

So we arrived. Unloaded. Handed over the tagged luggage. And took our carry on baggage with us to check in.

PC022688.jpg

PC022689.jpg

PC022698.jpg

PC022699.jpg

PC022700.jpg

You will go through security – metal detectors and bag xray – as found at an airport. Happily they have not yet implemented the body scanner :headache:
You then go up the escalators into the Terminal where you check in. You will see a Check in area for the “commoners/newbies” and then one for “Castaway club members”. As previous cruisers we went to THAT area :snooty:
PC022696.jpg

And here comes the fun part. As part of having a car we spilt up with two going to the (new) multi story carpark to park. While we went in to begin check in. (The parking while on the ship is reasonably priced but I can’t remember how much. And makes it a LOT easier getting away once you get off. Drive away straight to your new destination.)
Back to Check in – he with the documents who had SAID “I’ll give you the documents” didn’t. So wait we did….look around…

PC022708.jpg

PC022707.jpg

PC022695.jpg

PC022697.jpg

PC022694.jpg

When they arrived we began check in and then came problem number 2 – apparently only 2 of the 30 staff know how to process Australian passports. We went through a few people before we found a CM who knew what to do. What the? Seriously? It’s a different country…not a different planet. Although…the USA is a different planet ;)

So we were all checked in and had our check in number. This number determines when you can get onto the ship. I’m not sure the exact determining system but we had a good number. 3 I think. Anything over 5 I think is good.

In the meantime I found some Manatees hanging out between the dock and ship…

PC022701.jpg

We headed straight up to Cabanas to set up camp for lunch. VERY nice lunch.

NemoMosaic.jpg

This is one change from the Wonder. Previously a RESTAUANT in the Dining rotation was always where people in the know headed for lunch. The staff at the entry would try and convince you to go up to the Beach Blanket Buffet. However…on the Dream. You go to Cabanas. Let me remind you of something at this point though
- THIS IS A VERY LONG SHIP
- CABANAS IS AT THE AFT (REAR) OF THE SHIP

Ok…
So set up for lunch we dined. Then came project Aquaduck…and there are a grand total of THREE female toilets in the rest room at Cabanas. And the diaper changing table is in the Disabled toilet – one of the three. So what do you think quite a number of people are doing? Trying to get changed to use the pool. Some…are actually just trying to use the toilet. You can imagine a queue grew. Well done Disney….well done…

At this point we split up again with some going to Aquaduck while two of us (myself included) went down to deck 9 (from deck 11 where Cabanas is) to take the stuff to the room. Although the rooms WERE due to be accessible at this point they were still working on the cleaning and we couldn’t get to the room.
Now while I DID do some research…he who had done the most at this point did the BIGGEST GAFF EVER!!!!!! He left two of us with 4 peoples worth of carry on baggage (4 roll ons, 4 over the shoulder, PLUS some backbacks) on deck 9…beneath Cabanas.

Where is our room??

Where do you think our room is???

AT THE FRONT…the VERY FRONT…as AT THE FRONT AS YOU CAN GET…

So we were left the luggage and 5 mins later they removed the ropes and let us into the corridor…..

The

VERY

LONG

CORRIDOR!!!!

Complete with cleaning carts still in the way…

Anyone remember what I said about the ship?
- THIS IS A VERY LONG SHIP
- CABANAS IS AT THE AFT (REAR) OF THE SHIP

So after 10 mins of wheeling and crashing into walls we made it to the room.

Welcome

To Room….

PC022709.jpg

PC022710.jpg

PC022711.jpg

PC022713.jpg

PC022715.jpg

PC022716.jpg

PC022744.jpg

PC022727.jpg

PC022732.jpg

PC022733.jpg

PC022724.jpg

PC022723.jpg

For the ladies…

A REAL HAIRDRYER!!!!

PC022722.jpg

PC022721.jpg

The chair that would be the bane of my existence….
You see that ‘wall’ behind it. That was my Murphy bed. Once mr bed comes down where does the chair go??

PC022720.jpg

PC022735.jpg

PC022736.jpg

PC022738.jpg

PC022743.jpg

The Facilities…
Remember the commode is in a separate room to the shower/bath. Both with a sink. They are compact…and a trip hazard to get in and out of :lmao: but it is a FANTASTIC idea. Just remember to knock first…on the way OUT!!! As the poor schmuck accessing the wardrobe might get a nasty surprise

PC022745.jpg

PC022746.jpg

PC022747.jpg

PC022749.jpg

PC022750.jpg

PC022751.jpg

PC022752.jpg

PC022753.jpg

PC022754.jpg

PC022755.jpg

PC022756.jpg

PC022757.jpg

When you arrive the room looks as it does above. And if you don’t tell them to keep the beds ‘down’ it will return to this state during the day. In the afternoon/night your room will be transformed to this…

PC022922.jpg

PC022923.jpg

PC022924.jpg

PC022925.jpg

PC022926.jpg

And of course…the view…and there IS a seat “in” the porthole. Quite nice actually

PC032927.jpg

:lmao: Loving the report so far. Seeing the photos of the room turned down, I am wondering where "the chair" went?

Can't wait to read more :goodvibes

:lmao: Loving the report so far. Seeing the photos of the room turned down, I am wondering where "the chair" went?

Can't wait to read more :goodvibes

The chair ended up at the front door with just enough space to open the door to the toilet on the first night.
Next night we did another reshuffle and fitted it under the desk. Took out the the small red chair in there. And IT ended up at the front door instead.

SERIOUSLY...I don't know where this stuff is to go. There is SPACE left...but...it's called a corridor between the bed and the toilet... :confused3

Something I will point out is that this is a SPECIAL room and perhaps this is a chair standard in all rooms of this shape in this category.

Not all rooms in this category have the murphy bed. Much research confirmed for us that this and the 9000 room WOULD Have the murphy bed. The one next door. Same category. Same price. No murphy bed.

This room STILL has the bed that comes from the ceiling as an option. So it is a 5 person room when it has the murphy. Although only 4. It was SOO nice being in the murphy.

One additional difference to note about rooms on the Dream as opposed to the Wonder.
On the Dream - The MAIN bed is a queen bed that cannot be split in two. It is also higher off the ground than that found on the Wonder.
Pro - FULL SIZE SUITCASES can now fit UNDER the bed. This is a big plus.
Con - You don't have the option to turn the bed into two separate single beds.

This is why the murphy bed was considered important and advantageous. EVERYONE is on the 'ground level' should there be any sea sickness etc...

I quite enjoyed being up in the top 'bunk' on the wonder and had no issues...but that was partly because I was 'out of the way' of the chaos of others.
The Murphy provides much the same thing. I was at one end so people could do there own thing and I was 'out of the way'. I had my own bed light too which was nice.

I will say the room has improvements on the Wonder. But they are pros and cons as I say. The new bathroom design is good. But the old one was much the same and fine too.

Ah Queenie....details, schmetails!

The chair? Why....it goes into non-corporealness! :thumbsup2

Did anyone accidentally kick it in the middle of the night going to the toilet?

I have to admit the room looks lovely....but I'm seasick already. :sick:

Ah Queenie....details, schmetails!

The chair? Why....it goes into non-corporealness! :thumbsup2

Did anyone accidentally kick it in the middle of the night going to the toilet?

I have to admit the room looks lovely....but I'm seasick already. :sick:

Not sure if anyone did. I didn't. My mum crashes into things that are out of her path :confused3 Why do you think I liked being at the opposite end out of the way :rolleyes1

On the topic of seasick....we'll get to that....apparently 10 years doesn't make much of a difference in stability technology. The troublemaker last time was drugged the whole time to prevent sickness. So although he didn't get sick his opinion matters not.
From MY perspective it seemed to rock as much as the Wonder. :confused3

Oh, I am in! Got this all book marked. I was going to ask about the chair. Very nice room. Love portholes. That is a very interesting tub ( round ) makes a great way for saving space. Cant wait till you do more! No sea sickness here!

Loving all the detailed photos. The room looks lovely and I adore that murphy bed idea. Brilliant. I'm glad you kind of solved the problem of the chair, :)

I'm loving this, we are on the Wonder in September so I'm enjoying your comparrisons. I'm intrigued as to why they put a chair in with you guys in the first place, seems like plenty of places to sit anyways.

I don't mind rocking and pitching but I'm a bit of a danger to others as I fall into a fairly dead sleep as soon as any boat starts rocking. I blame this on my parents sitting with me in a dingy as a baby to rock me to sleep. There are photos of me with a lemonade in my hand on a rocking ferry fast asleep pouring it into my own lap...:confused3

Just for a bit of orientation I direct you to this page. It’s quite easy to go from deck to deck quickly to see where things are…
http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Disney+Dream

This is also a screen shot of where we were. We were below the bridge, and as such thought that the dark greyed out area was to do with the bridge and an access route. Now it might still be this in part. But when the door panel was opened to that area during cleaning in the mornings you could see there were more rooms. Just as nice looking (in terms of the hallway and door details were all the same quality) in that area. My thought is that crew who work on the bridge might have their rooms there??? Not sure. But I do think they are nicer rooms than OTHER crew members get down on decks 1 and 2.

Screenshot2012-01-05at104005AM.png

The other smaller greyed out area was the guest laundry. There was no issue with noise from people using it. The main problem we had was stepping in or out of the room you’d get asked for directions or about the laundry??? Huh?? I’m not crew nor do I look like crew…

The tub is basically there for families. Short of sitting in a yoga position I wasn't going to be able to use it as a tub. However what was VERY good...and not easily seen...is that the area to the RIGHT of the tub but IN the shower, is an area to sit. So it is useful in a number of ways.
1 - to sit and soak feet
2 - to sit if you are in there and get a bit queasy
3 - to sit one child while you bathe another?
4 - for an elderly person or in some way injured person to sit and bathe as the shower head does come off and you can lock it in at a lower position.

It is a 'useless' bath...however it is still a good design. And the hanging wire/cord locks in place so you can hang lots of swimmers off it for drying.

Now day one on a Disney cruise basically entails these things
- Check in
- Get on board
- Eat
- Play in the pool, AQUADUCK
- Eat and drink some more
- Get to room and shower
- Hope your main luggage arrives soon
- Look around the ship a bit
- Stare in the shop windows ogling…as they WILL NOT open the shops until the ship is at sea. (however…ahem…do review the Navigator in the room for information on anything that is on sale…as once the doors open…there may only be ONE of that item left IN the store…and…perhaps I got it…hehe)
- Look around
- See if your luggage is at your room yet so you can start rearranging the furniture
- Look around a bit more
- Go to…WHAT HAPPENS IF WE HIT AN ICEBERG TRAINING…
- Look around a bit more
- Check for luggage to rearrange room
- Get ready for dinner and a show…

Ok so while I have more photos of each of these things…I will show now some photos actually from day one of the Atrium, Deck 11 and 12, and a couple random view shots looking back at the dock (some from up top, some from room) and why the atrium smells so good at Christmas…

First up –

The Atrium.
Now back in comparison to the Wonder mode. I believe the Chandelier on the Wonder is more ‘spectacular.’ It is like the one found in Vegas at the Venetian I believe. Now I’m not knocking this. It is BEAUTIFUL. However…it is smaller…interestingly…
Also in Comparison mode, note the staircase. On the Wonder there are TWO staircases mirroring each other. In this case they have one. Which is sort of nicer. It makes the area on deck 4 more easily blocked off. However when it does ACTUALLY get blocked off. You do have to go to the midship lift or stairs to get down to 3.
It also works nicely with the tree. But I do wonder what goes there when they DON’T have a Christmas tree up.

DCLChandelier.jpg

PC022811.jpg

PC022758.jpg

PC022817.jpg

PC022821.jpg

PC022827.jpg

PC022780.jpg

PC022763.jpg

PC022764.jpg

PC022765.jpg

Why does the atrium smell so good?

PC022769.jpg

PC022770.jpg

PC022771.jpg

PC022772.jpg

PC022775.jpg

Now one thing you have to do is the “WHAT IF WE HIT AN ICEBERG” training. You must all rock up at 4pm at your designated area. We were H. It is on deck 4. The Lifeboats are actually kept ‘on’ deck 5 and then lift down to be boarded on Deck 4. There is also a ‘speed boat’ that helps the lifeboats and such things.
Here’s a question though? Are there enough lifeboats for everyone? Yes…if you are a guest. No…if you are crew. For the crew there are Large white barrels which when they hit the water open up into a life raft. Not quite as nice and the golden yellow mickey ones…but…they’re something right?

PC022782.jpg

PC022784.jpg

PC022788.jpg

PC022790.jpg

[Why do the staff put up with trying to organise the rabble??? THESE guys are the ones who get to go in the boat with you. It’s the other crew left for themselves ;) ]

I assure you this ain’t gonna save ya

PC022789.jpg

A Lifeboat being lowered. This was on the 2nd day evening I believe. They had to do something? So were working on it.

Lifeboat.jpg

Now up on Deck 11 and 12 we have the pool areas. There is also a deck 13…but I’ll get to that later.
This is where you will find the Aquaduck. Now I did love the Aquaduck but it is pretty much a typical water coaster. It goes up and down and floats along. Which while VERY cool, is not enough for me to choose the Dream over a different ship.

PC022800.jpg

PC022797.jpg

PC022796.jpg

PC022795.jpg

PC022794.jpg

View of the port from up here

PC022785.jpg

View from the room

PC022717.jpg

PC022718.jpg

Prepping for Sailing away…

I took lots of photos of this last time but seriously…it’s a bit ‘boring’ in that all the photos really look the same. Twentysomethings with too much energy bouncing up and down. The Characters are fun.

PC022792.jpg

PC022803.jpg

After “Sailing Away” we went to Deck 13 to explore the “mini golf”
Now not many people know how much I love mini golf. I REALLY LOVE mini golf. I don’t get to play much anymore and am actually yet to play at Summer Winterland. However I have played Fantasia Gardens.
My expectations of what could be provided on Goofy’s Sports deck weren’t high…however the free for all was…ludicrous!
I wasn’t “upset” but rather disappointed in what Disney had allowed to happen. How do I explain……

Well here’s what happened. We arrived and there were people all over the place. Going in any order, any direction, starting anywhere, putting in all directions. The holes are NUMBERED and there is a section for “Max” to put from and for “Goofy” to putt from. The Max one being an easier shot. I simply decided to take photos because there was no point trying to play. The ‘obstacles’ and design of each hole is cute and that is about the limit of the fun part. It’s not designed for anyone above the age of 8 to enjoy really as it is just plain annoying to anyone trying to actually play in a way trying to resembling an order. Plus, even when you had yourself on the green and about to putt…a toddler would arrive as an extra obstacle on the course with the parent about 3 holes away :headache:

So enjoy the photos…
(I’m not sure why I missed a couple holes…perhaps because I kept running into small people who had eaten one too many rice krispie treat :rolleyes: )

GGsign1.jpg

GGsign.jpg

GGclubs1.jpg

GGclubs2.jpg

GGclubs4.jpg

GGBag1.jpg

GGHole1.jpg

GGHole1a.jpg

GGHole1b.jpg

GGHole1c.jpg

GGHole2.jpg

GGHole2a.jpg

GGHole2b.jpg

GGHole3.jpg

GGHole3a.jpg

GGHole3b.jpg

GGHole5.jpg

GGHole5a.jpg

GGHole5b.jpg

GGHole5c.jpg

GGHole7.jpg

GGHole7a.jpg

GGHole7b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter