International Festival of the Holidays (previously known as Holidays Around the World)

luvallprincesses

DIS Veteran
"This year EPCOT will be hosting its International Festival of the Holidays (previously known as Holidays Around the World) from November 19 to December 30, 2017. Guests will be able to experience the holiday traditions at all 11 World Showcase nations. The EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays will include live musical productions, seasonal food & beverage specialties at the expanded Holiday Kitchens, and costumed performers bringing time-honored traditions to life throughout World Showcase. The best part is that all of this holiday fun is included in your park admission."

Starting a week early this year, with new food stands? Beginning Thanksgiving week? This is so exciting!

That name change is a mouth full - I wonder if this is part of a plan to change the name of "World Showcase"

I just saw this and am sort of excited since our last day in the parks is the 21st so I thought we had just sort of missed the holidays at Epcot thing. Plus I know it will be crazy the last two days of our trip and somehow the idea of wandering around browsing, eating and drinking with TONS of people doesn't seem quite as daunting as waiting with all those people for rides.

Do people think that first Sunday or that first Monday will be the most crazy?

Last edited:

That name change is a mouth full - I wonder if this is part of a plan to change the name of "World Showcase"
To me it seems like they're trying to capitalize on calling it a "Festival", like the Food & Wine Festival, Flower & Garden Festival, and that new art festival. People make special trips for those so it seems to me that calling it a "festival" makes it sound like a bigger deal?

Maybe it's just the circles I travel in but everyone that I have mentioned Epcot to seems to ask about "Drinks Around the World". Maybe they just don't want the holiday season to sound like "Drinks Around the World, Holiday Edition".

"This year EPCOT will be hosting its International Festival of the Holidays (previously known as Holidays Around the World) from November 19 to December 30, 2017. Guests will be able to experience the holiday traditions at all 11 World Showcase nations. The EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays will include live musical productions, seasonal food & beverage specialties at the expanded Holiday Kitchens, and costumed performers bringing time-honored traditions to life throughout World Showcase. The best part is that all of this holiday fun is included in your park admission."

Starting a week early this year, with new food stands? Beginning Thanksgiving week? This is so exciting!

Have you been before? What is it like? I've read the description but I don't really 'get' it. Is it just more holiday themed food available and some extra performers scattered around?

Have you been before? What is it like? I've read the description but I don't really 'get' it. Is it just more holiday themed food available and some extra performers scattered around?
Holidays Around the World has focused on storytellers from all of the countries telling (in a variety of formats) the origins of their holiday traditions, from the dragon with the Chinese New Year to the Trolls in Norway. There has also been a holidays passport book to take to each country to get a stamp, a modest amount of special holiday snack/drink offerings, as well as including the Candlelight Processional. We absolutely love this time at Epcot. It sounds like we're in for an expanded version of Holidays Around the World this year!

I've been going at Christmas (early December) for the past few years, and yep, that's basically it. The people telling the Christmas stories are fun and the food thing is on a fairly small scale. I don't view it in the same light as something like Food & Wine.

We always go over Thanksgiving or Christmas. I enjoy Epcot the most over the holidays now since the Osborne Lights are no more. The storytellers are a great way to enjoy the park during busy times as you don't have to wait and it can be educational. Some of the storytellers can be quite funny. I would highly recommend it, but it is definitely not on the same scale (food wise) as the Food & Wine, which is good since you can still traverse the World Showcase. Also, the holiday version of Illuminations is great.

I just saw this and now I'm super excited! I'll be able to be there for the last day of F&W and the first week of the new Holidays festival :cheer2:

I have been there during holiday season before, and from the description this year it seems that they will have more of traditional holiday foods. This makes sense with all the success with food stands in other festivals...

I've heard that the holiday food at Epcot has been larger portions than the snack sizes during F&W. I really hope they change that. It would be great to be able to try a bunch of small things instead of having to commit to one large item. And to be able to use snack credits. :)
I agree! From what I remember, yes, the holiday treats were full sized servings, and there weren't a lot. We haven't been on the dining plan in a long time, so I don't recall if they were eligible items. But this year we are taking advantage of free dining so that would be awesome!

To me it seems like they're trying to capitalize on calling it a "Festival", like the Food & Wine Festival, Flower & Garden Festival, and that new art festival. People make special trips for those so it seems to me that calling it a "festival" makes it sound like a bigger deal?

About 2-3 years ago my family was talking about how Epcot would become the "festival" park,with the arts festival and now calling the Holiday events a festival pretty much seals my prediction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter