Instantpot?

I got mine about two years ago. I've used it a few times. It's just not my thing...though I really want it to be...I cook every meal at home. I'm going to try to get back to using it :) Corn on the cob, hmm? Definitely want to try! Boiled eggs? Yep, make a dozen every Sunday so need to try that. Never heard the shaking around trick but will try that. Peeling them is such a pain.

I belong to an Instant Pot group and some of those people can be a little...zealous about it. For them it’s the end all, be all.

yes watch out for some of the Instatpot FB groups (This Ol Gal is one); hundreds of posts every day. My daughter set up a closed group that has maybe 20 of us in it.

I love my IP. I am not one to use it daily, or even once a week, however I do not use many of my small appliances on a daily basis. If I made nothing in it but yogurt it would be worth it to me, but I use it for a lot more. I have tossed my old standby dutch oven pot roast in favor of the IP version, and since I have been making this meal since I was 18, following my Mother's footsteps this says a lot. I never used a crock pot for this because it just was not the same.

We had an IP party a while back, 8 pots plugged in and running! Thank goodness DH had the service upgraded and a slew of outlets installed!
Anyway, we all chose recipes that we liked and that would be new to the others, and discussed how to make them. After we all had the meal together. It was a fun Sunday afternoon! I won the entrée with my ribs, something I have never been able to master, and my DD won dessert with her cheesecakes. She made them the day before.

THat sounds the same as putting water in plastic container and shaking. Doesn't work for me.

Honestly, the thing that I've found that seems to drive how easily shells come off of boiled eggs is how old the eggs are. They come off the older ones easier. The ones you just bought today won't release the shell well. I've learned to let them sit at least a week after buying before I boil them.

I used mine a lot more in the winter when I was making more substantial meals. Now though I use it at least once a week when I do a big batch of eggs for the week. I do like that it's an exact science with the IP on the eggs, one cup of water, 5 minutes on high, 5 minutes natural release and then instant release. Mine go straight into an ice bath because I don't peel them until the day of, but they are always super easy to peel when I do.

I love how easy it is to cook things like chicken breasts. I just throw a bunch in with some water or some stock and cook for 15 minutes, natural release and it's done perfectly every time!

And yes to the comment about older eggs peeling easier! I buy two cartons every week, one for eating throughout the week and one that sits until the following Sunday to make hard boiled eggs. Much easier to peel.

Please tell me how you do this. I can never make this work. Every week, I boil 18 eggs for my breakfast during the week. But I always end up trying to peel, chipping off tiny pieces of shell.

Immediately after boil, I put them in an ice bath. I have tried the plastic container with water to shake it up, that doesn't work. I tried peeling under the water, nope. It's that damn membrane between the shell and the egg. If it separates from the egg, then it is easy. But 9 times out of ten, the membrane adheres to the egg and I have to chip away one little tiny piece at a time.

My Grandmother was a wonderful cook, so I will pass on to you how she taught me. Its old school but it works... This method has never failed me in the 40 + years I have been cooking. I miss the wealth of knowledge that she had in the kitchen, ... if I wanted to tried something new or had a question she was there .... I miss her so much....

First off your eggs more than likely are to fresh, if you buy them and try to boil and peel the same or next day its almost impossible to peel them. I always let them sit in the fridge around 3 to 4 days.

Use a pot that is large enough for all the eggs to fit in and will allow for the water to touch all sides. You don't want them packed together to tightly

Salt the water --- Liberally

Add the eggs -into cool tap water making sure that the water more than covers the eggs, r

Then place on the stove

Start heating the water, bring to a boil ( a moderate rolling boil) ---here's the really important part starting timing the eggs once the water with the eggs starts boiling.

For 1 to a dozen eggs, 15 minutes boiling time ---- 12 to 18 eggs, 18 to 20 minutes -----18 to 24 eggs , 20 to 25 minutes -----

Take off the burner

Let them sit in the pot in the hot water for at least 15 to 30 minutes cooling

Then run cool tap water over them, leave them sitting in the cool tap water, while you are peeling them..

When you crack them really break the shell so you break the membrane inside - not just a tap, but don't smash them either

In a slow stream of water (cool) peel the eggs directly under.

I have been boiling eggs like this for the past 40+ years and its worked.

I hope that this helps.

I won't repeat many of the other great comments people have had regarding the Instantpot. I will say, as someone that is a foodie and has a lot of kitchen gadgets, I consider this one to be my most valuable gadgets based on the speed in which it cooks, the quality of the food and the variety of things you can cook in it. Something like ribs I will now only cook int the Instantpot as they are better then any other method I have used previously. I definitely recommend it.

My Grandmother was a wonderful cook, so I will pass on to you how she taught me. Its old school but it works... This method has never failed me in the 40 + years I have been cooking. I miss the wealth of knowledge that she had in the kitchen, ... if I wanted to tried something new or had a question she was there .... I miss her so much....

First off your eggs more than likely are to fresh, if you buy them and try to boil and peel the same or next day its almost impossible to peel them. I always let them sit in the fridge around 3 to 4 days.

Use a pot that is large enough for all the eggs to fit in and will allow for the water to touch all sides. You don't want them packed together to tightly

Salt the water --- Liberally

Add the eggs -into cool tap water making sure that the water more than covers the eggs, r

Then place on the stove

Start heating the water, bring to a boil ( a moderate rolling boil) ---here's the really important part starting timing the eggs once the water with the eggs starts boiling.

For 1 to a dozen eggs, 15 minutes boiling time ---- 12 to 18 eggs, 18 to 20 minutes -----18 to 24 eggs , 20 to 25 minutes -----

Take off the burner

Let them sit in the pot in the hot water for at least 15 to 30 minutes cooling

Then run cool tap water over them, leave them sitting in the cool tap water, while you are peeling them..

When you crack them really break the shell so you break the membrane inside - not just a tap, but don't smash them either

In a slow stream of water (cool) peel the eggs directly under.

I have been boiling eggs like this for the past 40+ years and its worked.

I hope that this helps.
Are you saying boil for 15+minutes and then let sit for 15-30mins? Doesn’t this way over cook your eggs?

When boiling eggs I was taught to place in cold water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat and let sit for 12-15mins. Peel under cold tap water. However, I’ve found over the years as others have mentioned it’s the age of the eggs and not the method that makes the difference in peeling easily or not. They’re always easy to peel coming from the IP but are more likely to crack when fresh.

I'm late to the post, but I LOVE my Instant Pot.

I like my crock pot but what used to take 6+ hours takes 45-90 minutes.

I think hard boiled eggs alone are worth it, but I've also cooked beans from dried (unsoaked) in 35-40 minutes.

I made the best fall-off-the-bone ribs, tender pork roast, and perfect shredded chicken in it. I have a good macaroni and cheese recipe that takes about 12 minutes from prep to table.

I've made an amazing cheesecake in it, too.

I joined a couple of recipe groups on Facebook and get a lot of good ideas.

Once you start using it, you'll love it.

Are you saying boil for 15+minutes and then let sit for 15-30mins? Doesn’t this way over cook your eggs?

When boiling eggs I was taught to place in cold water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat and let sit for 12-15mins. Peel under cold tap water. However, I’ve found over the years as others have mentioned it’s the age of the eggs and not the method that makes the difference in peeling easily or not. They’re always easy to peel coming from the IP but are more likely to crack when fresh.

Yes boiling for 15 mins. for a dozen, using a moderate boil, then take them off the burner and let sit for another 15 or so, I take the pot off the stove and sit it on a pot holder for around 15 min's. - then pour out the warm water, replace with cold tap, and peel. This is the way my grandmother taught me, and its the only way I have ever done them.. It one of those things that I never asked why, I just did what granny told me to do and it worked so far... it has at least for the 40 plus years I have been cooking.

This may make me buy one. Can you please share the recipe?

Link This is what I use. I change the cheese depending on mood; a smoked pepper cheese is what I used last. I shred it or use pre-shredded cheese; it all melts quick.

I stir in softened onions sometimes. You could stir in sausage or bacon, broccoli, spinach... Whatever. It's a nice base recipe and there are hundreds of others out there that are good.

Please tell me how you do this. I can never make this work. Every week, I boil 18 eggs for my breakfast during the week. But I always end up trying to peel, chipping off tiny pieces of shell.

Immediately after boil, I put them in an ice bath. I have tried the plastic container with water to shake it up, that doesn't work. I tried peeling under the water, nope. It's that damn membrane between the shell and the egg. If it separates from the egg, then it is easy. But 9 times out of ten, the membrane adheres to the egg and I have to chip away one little tiny piece at a time.
I used to cater. Cold water, tablespoon of baking soda, eggs, book as you normally would. Shells slip right off, fresh eggs, old eggs doesn't matter. Simple reaction between the shell and baking soda.

if you want to make lasagna, cheesecake (I also used it for taco pie and key lime pie) you need a push bottom pan, this one, Fat Daddio's is the absolute best. Kind of tough to get the sticker off it, and it is NOT dishwasher safe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Q32JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, yeah! And some spare sealing rings. I have one specifically for sweet things because nobody wants rice pudding flavored like carnitas or chili!

I just bought mine on Prime Day and I've already used it 4 times. It has made life SO much easier for us, and I am actually meal-prepping now.

I used to cater. Cold water, tablespoon of baking soda, eggs, book as you normally would. Shells slip right off, fresh eggs, old eggs doesn't matter. Simple reaction between the shell and baking soda.

I have a friend that use's this method, and she pokes a hole in the shell before cooking with this little tool. Her deviled eggs always taste weird, and have a rubbery consistency to the bite, and the white of egg itself is dry... Would the baking soda cause this?

I have a friend that use's this method, and she pokes a hole in the shell before cooking with this little tool. Her deviled eggs always taste weird, and have a rubbery consistency to the bite, and the white of egg itself is dry... Would the baking soda cause this?

If its a sulphury taste its probably over cooking.

I used to cook a big batch of beans 1x month in a regular pressure cooker and everyone at home hated the noise! The dog would hide and my kids would freak one the pressure would release. So I got and IP and feel in love. It is a clunker and I do not used it everyday but use at least 1-2x a week.
Now I do not need to make big batches of beans anymore and the best thing I can turn it on and forget it! Do not need to watch the stove/oven.
I make my own broths and soups cook time is one 1min or under.

I never used my slow cooker much because didn't like the taste. Seems like slow cooker cooked the flavor OUT, and I have found that Instant Pot cooks the flavor IN. Most of my French stew recipes are not that much easier or even faster, but boy do they taste good.

However, there are some clear cut advantages. My family loves time consuming, labor intensive fare like risotto and polenta. Special occasions only. Once I found recipes to make these in the IP I've never looked back. Wild mushroom risotto on Monday night? Sure! And sticky rice for pudding or Thai food is super easy too! Another long cooking time thing it's great for is bone broth, if you're so inclined.

It's gotten to the point where I always search the internet to see if there's an IP recipe for something I want to make. I don't think it really works for roasted potatoes, but it works to mostly cook them and then roast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter