If you were me.....

TheBigErn

DIS Veteran
which resort would you pick and why? 5 adults looking for a 2BR. Narrowed it down to AKL Savanna view, BLT standard view or SSR preferred. The difference in price between the 3 is not critical. We will be going to all of the parks daily. We like quick serve breakfast before heading to the parks early. We will likely not be using Disney transportation. Probably have our own vehicle.

I love AKL, so I'd probably book Kidani savanna view. We do fix our own breakfast, but Kidani offers QS breakfast at Sanaa. You can park your car under the building, near whichever elevator is closest to your villa, which is great when it's sunny/hot and when it's raining. BLT gets the points for being walkable to MK, but otherwise will take just as long if not longer to drive to the other parks compared to AKL, and because of having to park at TTC I'd recommend taking the bus to MK from AKL or SSR. Both Kidani and BLT 1 and 2 BR have an extra bathroom (2 in the 1 BR, 3 in the 2 BR), which SSR doesn't have, and SSR also lacks the fold out single sleeper chair in the living room that Kidani and BTL have in addition to the sleeper sofa. I wouldn't stay in a Jambo 1 or 2 BR for reasons that I detailed in your other thread! :earboy2:

I’d do BLT as you have access to enjoy food and drinks at all the MK resorts and it’s a nice time for adult only trips.

Plus MK is the hardest park when driving because you have to park at TTC and then monorail or ferry over.

However, SSR is great for nights at Disney Springs if you don’t plan to close out the parks.

I would personally go with BLT. You get the third bathroom in both AKV and BLT but with BLT you can also walk to MK, watch the electrical water pageant and fireworks and have access to quick service. Unless you book Jambo (which doesn't have the third bathroom), the quick service will be over in Jambo, not Kidani, which can take longer to get to if waiting on the tram, walking or even riding your own vehicle over there.

I think it would depend on everyone’s priorities.
AKLs quick serve is in Jambo, long walk. BLTs is a short walk to the Contemporary. I think at SSR you would have to go to the main building for quick serve. Which would be okay because then you can drive there and then hop in the car and drive to your morning park. As someone else said, I would not drive to MK due to the parking situation there.
AKL savanna view is very relaxing. Don’t know what kind of dinners you were planning, but again you would only have Saana at Kidani, and Boma and Jiko at Jambo. At BLT you have 3 resorts nearby with great restaurants. SSR has a zillion places for dinner close by at Disney Springs.
Personally I don’t like SSR....I’m not big on shopping and we don’t dine out much any more. It is a lovely resort though. It’s the location. AKL is great as long as you have a car and don’t have to rely on the bus. It’s very easy to park at 3 of the 4 parks. It also has 2 nice gyms if that is important. BLT is my personal favorite. Walk to MK, fireworks, and you can take the monorail to Epcot in the evening. The gym (at the Contemporary) is probably one of the worst on property.

I love AKL, so I'd probably book Kidani savanna view. We do fix our own breakfast, but Kidani offers QS breakfast at Sanaa. You can park your car under the building, near whichever elevator is closest to your villa, which is great when it's sunny/hot and when it's raining. BLT gets the points for being walkable to MK, but otherwise will take just as long if not longer to drive to the other parks compared to AKL, and because of having to park at TTC I'd recommend taking the bus to MK from AKL or SSR. Both Kidani and BLT 1 and 2 BR have an extra bathroom (2 in the 1 BR, 3 in the 2 BR), which SSR doesn't have, and SSR also lacks the fold out single sleeper chair in the living room that Kidani and BTL have in addition to the sleeper sofa. I wouldn't stay in a Jambo 1 or 2 BR for reasons that I detailed in your other thread! :earboy2:
SSR now has the large Murphy bed couch and the smaller Murphy bed under the TV in living room. AKV/BLT have an extra bathroom. SSR has 5 real beds with mattresses.

SSR now has the large Murphy bed couch and the smaller Murphy bed under the TV in living room. AKV/BLT have an extra bathroom. SSR has 5 real beds with mattresses.
This! As an adult who doesn't like to sleep on sofa beds, I think if one of the group is going to sleep in the living room then SSR should be the winner. Having a car also helps to reach all the parks and while SSR is not adjacent to any park, it is centrally located and equidistant to all, so it's not far away from anywhere.

I agree with the others above!

Edit: BLT for 3rd bathroom, monorail resort cool cool factor; SSR for DS proximity, murphy beds; AKL for resort restaurants

Last edited:
We will likely not be using Disney transportation. Probably have our own vehicle.
This alone might make me say SSR is the best choice. Because you can literally park next to your room...or at the very least way closer than the other two resorts. Easy in, easy out.

This! As an adult who doesn't like to sleep on sofa beds, I think if one of the group is going to sleep in the living room then SSR should be the winner. Having a car also helps to reach all the parks and while SSR is not adjacent to any park, it is centrally located and equidistant to all, so it's not far away from anywhere.
This would be my choice, also. For 5 adults, the proximity to Disney Spring is a huge plus. - and everyone gets to sleep in a "real" bed. Only two people will have to share (the king bed).

I’d do BLT as you have access to enjoy food and drinks at all the MK resorts and it’s a nice time for adult only trips.

Plus MK is the hardest park when driving because you have to park at TTC and then monorail or ferry over.

However, SSR is great for nights at Disney Springs if you don’t plan to close out the parks.

+1 for BLT. It's the biggest pain to drive to, so better to be where you can walk. And SO many food and drink options, between MK, CCV, BLT, VGF and Poly all a boat/mono/walk away.

Also that extra bathroom is very helpful.

AKV - while I loved visiting the resort, we stayed in Jambo this past spring and it was very empty and sad. Buses took a long time and the distance between Kidani and Jambo pools was pretty big.

If the comfort of the person sleeping on the sofa bed is important, I would pick SSR. We did a split stay at SSR and AK earlier this month. The pull down full murphy bed in the SSR 2 bedroom was very comfortable. The AK pullout bed was not.

Personally not a fan of staying at AKL at all (and Kidani is one of our three home resorts, unfortunately). I love SSR, but also like BLT. Since you're planning on hitting the parks regularly, I'd lean slightly towards a 2BR at BLT. Obviously good MK proximity, but also many QS choices in that resort area. SSR has Disney Springs, but it'll be buses to all the parks (although we find the bus service from SSR to be pretty good). If you want a nice quiet and relaxing place to come home to and you don't mind exclusively using buses, then SSR would be a great option too (plus Disney Springs is super easy to walk to if you choose College Park preferred).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter