If You Can Dream It, You Can Run It (Comments Welcome!)

Lunchbox66

Earning My Ears
Introduction

This is my first training journal 1) on a public forum and 2) about running. My belief in starting this, like most I’m sure, is that it will help motivate me to get the workouts in and progress.

A little bit about myself, I just turned 34 and am currently in the US Navy. I chose this forum because after my first trip to Disney, since I was 12, with my wife in 2018 for our belated honeymoon, I am now a Disney fanatic (she always was), it’s the most magical place on Earth. I’ve always been athletic, studied martial arts and play ice hockey as a child, and still play beer league hockey. I ran when I needed to train for those sports but never kept with it or really enjoyed it (I think because I just pushed myself to miserable exhaustion every run, something I still struggle with and am hoping to work on). I attended a military college where we ran quite a bit and my mile time was around 5:30 at one point. After I graduated and went into the military I have run as much as needed to pass the physical requirements, but not much more.

I have never competed/ran any actual races, always just out of necessity for my sport or job, except the McGuire’s 5k in Pensacola, FL several times, which is really just walking to get to the beer (If you’ve ever been to it you know it).

As happens, I’ve gotten into a rut of stagnation, with a lot of stress and more anxiety recently. I’ve had horrible lifestyle habits and a horrible diet for the past couple years. I have trouble doing any sort of workout if it’s not goal oriented, so I finally thought why don’t I start training for the runDisney events, so I can merge my favorite hobby and place with physical and mental improvement…. so here I am. My other problem??? you might call it, is I can’t do anything halfway, it’s 100% or nothing, so I hope to start becoming more educated on running… right now the only I’ve learned my entire life is run as fast as you can as far and long as you can.

Sadly, due to my current schedule for the next year or so I can’t commit to any upcoming runDisney events before they would sell out, although haven’t ruled out virtual races, but anything is possible. If you took the time to read this, thank you, and I hope to learn from everyone here.

Funny…. I never thought I’d think to myself, “I want to run a marathon someday.”

Current Goals (In Flux)

1. Complete a runDisney 5k
2. Complete a runDisney 10k
3. Complete a runDisney Half Marathon

Welcome to the club. Everyone on here will help with imparting the knowledge, wisdom and encouragement you need to help meet your goals and add goals 5,6,7..... (5:Complete RunDisney Marathon, 6:Complete a RunDisney Challenge, 7: Complete Coast to Coast....) We're terrible enablers!

Welcome to boards and thank you for your service! I look forward to reading along as you progress towards your goals. If you have any questions, ask them on your journal or the running thread. Usually you can find daily topics about running that you may or may not find helpful. Best of luck!

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me!

Well, first training journal post. It has taken me a couple weeks to get mentally and spiritually on board to actually start training and living healthier. Without going into details, I've just been in a rut for quite a while now, but this has been a good productive week.

I also registered for all 3 Disney 100 virtual 5k's so I'm excited about that!.

After doing some quick looking around at training plans and apps, right now I'm using MapMyRun's training plan and tracker.

Week: 24-30 April 2023

Monday, 24 April: Played "beer league" hockey for 60 mins. Good skate overall.

Tues-Wed: "Rest" - aka didn't really start to do anything - had Dr's. appt.

Thursday, 27 April: Easy Run - 1.88mi in 21:43. 11:34/mi. Could definitely tell I need to get back into things.

Friday, 28 April: Easy Run - 1.50mi in 17:29. 11:37/mi. Me and DW decided to make an impromptu trip to Disney Springs area to do some shopping and meet her sister and niece for lunch Sunday while they were here for the cheer competitions.

Saturday, 29 April: "Active Rest" aka 12,169 steps walking around Disney and Disney Springs. Also treated myself to a new pair of running shoes from Fit2Run at Disney Springs. I hadn't gotten a new pair since 2019, they were in pretty rough shape.

Sunday, 30 April: 1.57mi in 17:33. 11.11/mi. Legs still felt decent after being more active than I have in a long time this week. This was a nice run through some of Saratoga Springs. Got rained on but it felt good. Sunday's are usually my rest day but traded for Saturday this week.

Welcome to the club. Everyone on here will help with imparting the knowledge, wisdom and encouragement you need to help meet your goals and add goals 5,6,7..... (5:Complete RunDisney Marathon, 6:Complete a RunDisney Challenge, 7: Complete Coast to Coast....) We're terrible enablers!

Thanks! I do have those in my head but didn't want to overzealous posting, haha.

Welcome! Do you live near Disney? I’m local as well. :)

We currently live in Jacksonville, FL, but we try to make it down to the Disney bubble once a month or so. Atleast to pop in a park for the evening and Disney Springs. Our goal is to move to the Orlando area in about 8 years when I'm out of the military.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter