Idea to improve DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I see most people complaining about who don't like the new DAS is the wait. They can't wait before they can't wait after. They're at a loss with what they're supposed to do with their children during the 40 between rides or can't explain to them why they can't immediately go on the next ride.

I don't think either system, suggested or current, is going to be acceptable for a great deal of people that are unhappy with the changes.

The thing I see most people complaining about who don't like the new DAS is the wait. They can't wait before they can't wait after. They're at a loss with what they're supposed to do with their children during the 40 between rides or can't explain to them why they can't immediately go on the next ride.

I don't think either system, suggested or current, is going to be acceptable for a great deal of people that are unhappy with the changes.

This is perhaps true. Some people will never feel the system will work for them - which I find hard to understand, considering FP etc can still be used with a DAS. But just a little tweaking as has been mentioned can make the system easier for a lot of people are ARE very much willing to wait but can't perhaps do it in the traditional way, and struggle to get around the parks.

aaarcher86 said:

How do these people explain the long wait for a plane or ride in the car .
Everyone complaining feels they are entitled because they have a disability .
My child is wheelchair and vent dependent and Disney owes me nothing!

This is perhaps true. Some people will never feel the system will work for them - which I find hard to understand, considering FP etc can still be used with a DAS. But just a little tweaking as has been mentioned can make the system easier for a lot of people are ARE very much willing to wait but can't perhaps do it in the traditional way, and struggle to get around the parks.

I believe me, the 'I can't wait 30 minutes in between rides,' and 'what am I supposed to do and how am I supposed to explain waiting to my child' complaints are totally boggling for me. It's not so much here on the DIS, but other groups against the change. Lots of people who want to so 6 hours worth of things in only 3 hours worth if time because it's all they have.

I think it's fantastic that Disney is letting people basically do anything they want instead of waiting in a traditional line. The ability to schedule FP+ and use the DAS return times is great and if done well, waiting will be minimal. I think it'll be tough to transition, and it's never fun getting something that is less than what it used to be but that's the way it goes.

There's a comparison chart somewhere online if the different DAS cards at WDW, Universal, and Seaworld. Naturally since it's on a site against the Disney changes it lists Disney last, but they all seem pretty in line to me.

How do these people explain the long wait for a plane or ride in the car . Everyone complaining feels they are entitled because they have a disability .

You'd have to ask them. I wouldn't say everyone with a disability feels entitled but there of course will always be people who do.

Universal Florida has a clear cut time limit..30 minutes and under.. You go to fastpass. Any more then that you get a return time. Disney has no clue. Some lady told me it has to be under 10. What is ever a 5 minute wait? Come on. 10 minutes is crazy. Get a time frame and stick too it. 20 mins and under fastpass line or something. How can you plan when you don't know?

Disney could do that and people will still complain because it Disney. Universal can go out tonmorrow and change it to 10 just like Disney and no one will say a word and they will do it. But since it Disney everyone thinks Disney owes them something. The quicker people get gac and unlimited fast pass out of their mind they can the this system a try an see if it work. Disney is treated differently mostly their fault for going above and beyond all the time but they keep getting slapped in the face for doing it. Is this system perfect no should they raise it to 20 min or less go right on yes it be easier for them but when universal deals with how many guest Disney dose and do half the things Disney dose then their be surge meant for Disney to follow universal.

No, what I, and most people on here are complaining about is having to wait LONGER than everyone else, which is what the current system has us doing. I also take issue with having to walk more than everyone else to get the assistance that I need.

Yes, there will be those that complain about waiting, but that is not what the vast majority of people are indeed complaining about. We simply want the wait times to be EQUAL.

I too think the big complaint is waiting. Why shouldn't people with disabilities wait as well? Even those with behavioral issues can be taught to accept change. After all, a vacation is a change from the norm unless you go every week. Your child has been taught to accept that change so they can learn. I'm not some parent who doesn't understand. My kids have both major physical disabilities and my daughter has autism as well. She wants to ride now and can't so major meltdown. She wants to stay on and can't, she needs to be physically dragged off. It's frustrating and embarrassing but it's the proper thing to do. Like it or not the "normal" guest has as much right as we do.

How do these people explain the long wait for a plane or ride in the car .
Everyone complaining feels they are entitled because they have a disability .
My child is wheelchair and vent dependent and Disney owes me nothing!

That's easy. For many, the plane trip is an enjoyable part of going to Disney. Some kids are just as excited about flying as they are about the Disney attractions. Not to mention, while flying they're not there in front of the rides wondering why they can't ride now.

I believe me, the 'I can't wait 30 minutes in between rides,' and 'what am I supposed to do and how am I supposed to explain waiting to my child' complaints are totally boggling for me. It's not so much here on the DIS, but other groups against the change. Lots of people who want to so 6 hours worth of things in only 3 hours worth if time because it's all they have.

I think it's fantastic that Disney is letting people basically do anything they want instead of waiting in a traditional line. The ability to schedule FP+ and use the DAS return times is great and if done well, waiting will be minimal. I think it'll be tough to transition, and it's never fun getting something that is less than what it used to be but that's the way it goes.

There's a comparison chart somewhere online if the different DAS cards at WDW, Universal, and Seaworld. Naturally since it's on a site against the Disney changes it lists Disney last, but they all seem pretty in line to me.

I realize every child is different. This is just a suggestion of what worked for us. I found out what attraction ds wanted to ride. And one of us got his DAS return time without him even knowing about it, so he didn't know he was waiting.

We have been to the parks 3 times since DAS started. The first time, the park was MK and he rode a total of 2 attractions once. The second day, was Epcot and he only rode Spaceship Earth, once. The third day was, Epcot again. This time riding Journey Into Imagination and Nemo, each only once. Changing the policy to the way cmwade77 suggests would have added one initial attraction if I'm understanding the suggestion?

Our challenge was finding things to do in air conditioned places to keep him entertained while we wait. Epcot's Future World isn't a problem. He loves spending time pattern walking the 2nd floor carpet at the Land, playing games at Innoventions, and those games after Spaceship Earth. MK was a bit trickier but we passed the time in Tortuga Tavern and Pecos Bills. He hates shopping, especially the lighting and noise, so stores are a last resort. At DHS it's One Man's Dream and the Animation building. Not sure where or what we'll do in between at the AK? But once it gets much cooler out, he'll be able to spend more time doing the Wilderness Explorer thing at AK, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and the new pirate interactive game, and Agent P at Epcot.

The majority of the complaining about the DAS that I read is from people without disabilities!

The problem that I see is that disabilities are not a one-size-fits-all. So when designing a system like DAS, it's either going to err on the side of being too generous or not generous enough.

No, what I, and most people on here are complaining about is having to wait LONGER than everyone else, which is what the current system has us doing. I also take issue with having to walk more than everyone else to get the assistance that I need. Yes, there will be those that complain about waiting, but that is not what the vast majority of people are indeed complaining about. We simply want the wait times to be EQUAL.

I disagree with that. Just my opinion. I think the non wheelchair DAS users have a relatively equal wait time. Wheelchairs are a whole different ball game because of the fewer accessible cars. But someone getting a return time of standby minus 10 minutes is going to wait nearly the same time as someone in the standby.

I've seen very few people worried about waiting longer over waiting in general. I think the current system with the offering of a single immediate FP for the first ride to help with that first initial wait would be fine.

That's easy. For many, the plane trip is an enjoyable part of going to Disney. Some kids are just as excited about flying as they are about the Disney attractions. Not to mention, while flying they're not there in front of the rides wondering why they can't ride now.

But why not make waiting for the ride a enjoyable thing like waiting or the flight. if they see the plane and have to wait don't they wonder why they can't get on the plane and go to Disney right now.

The majority of the complaining about the DAS that I read is from people without disabilities!

The problem that I see is that disabilities are not a one-size-fits-all. So when designing a system like DAS, it's either going to err on the side of being too generous or not generous enough.

This!

Generalization never works. There have been threads in the past about "you can teach your kid..." But cognitive disability is very individual and difficult to understand.

As I have said, it's not the waiting that's the problem, it's the change. A person who doesn't understand the word "why" is not going to understand "why" it's different from the last time they went. I just wish that Disney had some sort of a transitional period from the GAC to the DAS. The solution proposed here could be perfect for that and I would fully support it and welcome it!

I am concerned about our trip, I worry about the stress it could create, but I am optimistic that we can plan it in such a way as to make it less obvious for our DS. I wish Disney would consider the idea put forth here.

Generalization never works. There have been threads in the past about "you can teach your kid..." But cognitive disability is very individual and difficult to understand.

As I have said, it's not the waiting that's the problem, it's the change. A person who doesn't understand the word "why" is not going to understand "why" it's different from the last time they went. I just wish that Disney had some sort of a transitional period from the GAC to the DAS. The solution proposed here could be perfect for that and I would fully support it and welcome it!

I am concerned about our trip, I worry about the stress it could create, but I am optimistic that we can plan it in such a way as to make it less obvious for our DS. I wish Disney would consider the idea put forth here.

I wouldn't worry Disney has been and alway will be their for the guest. IF they put this system in place it is still change so what the difference one you wait like everyone else and one you wait less but still wait. Disney needed to get people of the gac as soon as they could if they did transitioned them they never get them on the new system.

On average guest using the das will get on more rides then guest not using the das.

Deaf people are more than capable of waiting in line as hearing folks but how does some one with knees that are shot maneuver in and out of such an awkward ride by the way I do know all about handicap people my son is hearing visually impaired bound to a wheelchair needs a machine to help him breath mental and physically impaired its people like your family that make it difficult for people like my son to have a good time at a wonderful place like Disney
Just to be clear, hearing loss is only one of the challenges I face. If it were just deafness no DAS would be needed.

Delete post,remove comments and ban people.
Business as usual. This forum is KING in this and all because people just are telling the truth.
Over a decade people were told here on this forum that the GAC had no special privileges. In the mean while you all used it to get FOTL.
Nothing changed ,nothing new here so move on people.

Actually this is not true at all. The only comment I removed was offensive - all other posts remained. This is a moderated board, and on this particular forum we are especially careful to promote a supportive, positive environment. If this displeases you, you are certainly welcome to post in one of the many DAS complaint threads going elsewhere on the boards.

And we were telling the exact truth - the GAC is NOT a front of the line pass. My friend's pass said she needed to sit in the front row of shows, because she had a vision impairment. Another friend had one that said she could not climb stairs, which occur in only a few queues.

No matter what stamp one had, there was NO immediate access. There were some CMs who started just sending people with some stamps directly into the FP line, and that became almost standard practice, but it was not a guarantee.

I can tell you that from personal experience, as I have waited for an hour or more (much long than the standby time) in a queue that was just in the middle of a walkway for Pirates - and that WAS the "alternate entry."

Yes, some people got faster access at some rides at some times of year, but it was NOT a guarantee! It did NOT mean immediate access. We did not allow posts declaring it was partly to curb any potential abuse (DISboard posts are available on Google) AND to prevent confusion by families when they reached the park.

Despite what you may think, Sue and I do not edit threads on a whim - we are very careful. And I actually cannot think of someone who was banned. We are two people who have many other things going on in our lives who volunteer to help keep the information in this forum accurate and to keep the dialogue civil. We want to keep this a supportive environment for anyone who has a question.

Talking Hands said:
Just to be clear, hearing loss is only one of the challenges I face. If it were just deafness no DAS would be needed.

I was responding to someone else that deleted their post

Well let me rephrase / you could be handicapped and go on space mountain , but not to the extent you would need a das .

I tried to be clear before, but I guess I need to explain further.

You do not get to decide who is "disabled enough" to get a DAS.

You do not get to decide who is "sick enough"or "bad enough" or any "enough" to qualify as a person with a disability.

You do not get to decide who is "worse" than someone else.

That is not a game we ever play on this forum. Not only can you not tell everything about another person based on a few posts online, but you do not live in their bodies and lives.

You are not the only parent with a child with a disability on this forum. You are not the only person who has dealt with a disability on this forum.

There are many different forms and experiences of disability, and trying to create a scale, apparently based on the needs of your child, will not help anyone. I have a disability, I require a DAS card, and I ride Space Mountain every chance I get. I love Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash... and I love Winnie the Pooh and Monster's Inc.

My disability means I use a wheelchair, but that does not meet all my needs. I also have, for example, severe problems with heat, which makes living in SoCal all the more fun. This is one reason I use the DAS - many of the queues in DL/DCA would result in my passing out and spiking a fever. That does not mean I do not enjoy the ride - it means the way the queue is designed is dangerous for my disability.

My disability is different than your son's. I am largely independent and can go on some thrill rides sometimes. That does not mean I am "less" disabled than your son, or anyone else.

I do not discount your experiences at all, and you are right that Disney owes you nothing. But Disney is required to provide appropriate accommodations for disabilities as stated in the ADA - that is a right, not being owed.

In the future, please keep this in mind when posting on this forum. This is supposed to be a supportive environment, not a place where people feel judged. Please ask questions and provide any answers you may have from your own experiences, but please refrain from judging others, their needs, and their abilities.

This goes for anyone wishing to post in the disABILITIES forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter