I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In talking with someone about CC's, what would be the best card for everyday use? She doesn't have any specific goals beyond just basic travel.

My spending has been off the rails lately. I’m hitting these MSRs without MSing. I’m finishing both Blue Business cards tomorrow with a large expense. Should be $5000. Then I just have the Gold card I’m waiting on. My wedding deposit will also be 4000 in December but I don’t know what card to get for that. I’m thinking of getting myself the Plat today so the card can arrive in time for our wedding deposit. I’m just worried about these DPs on reddit of not getting the bonus because of “abuse”. If I don’t go for Amex idk what else I could get. I need to wait until 12.7. to do a Chase double dip so they are out. Any ideas? Should I just go for the Plat?

In talking with someone about CC's, what would be the best card for everyday use? She doesn't have any specific goals beyond just basic travel.

Would she be comfortable with a CSR freedom and FU trifecta? If just one I like the Gold Card or maybe the Uber card for cashback.

I have had the Arrival Plus before and then just got it again couple months ago. Yes you make the charges and then there is a part on the site that has where you can credit your account back (or erase the charges). I think time limit is like 90 days. There is a minimum redemption of points you have to use. The other option if you can get it is the Capital One Venture Preferred. It has the sign up of 75k also AF waived first year. I have had it as well. Works the same way basically. I think the Venture might have a little bit broader categories and redemption can be for any amount. I even used the Venture to erase charges on a rental home. But the Arrival Plus is nice since it is a MasterCard and good to have for the Plastiq deals and mortgages etc.

Thanks I really should look at both of these. We have 2 trips coming up in which we can't uses points. Then of course, there is the Galapagos trip I REALLY REALLY want to take. Not sure how to use points there either.

So, about the Arrival + . . . I'm trying to wrap my head around this. In a nutshell, you charge travel and then "erase" it with accumulated credits? Is there a time limit? In other words, can you charge travel and erase 6 months later once you've accumulated points? I've never used this type of card before, but I think it would be a good one for us since many of the things we like to do can't be done on points. Is the Arrival + the best deal going as far as travel eraser cards go? I feel like I need a tutorial on this card lol!
As others said, there is a time limit. I thought it was 120 days but could be 90. I also think you have to have a min of $50 to erase a travel charge. The bonus on the arrival + is higher right now. I got it over a year ago at 60k so the 70k is very tempting. I’ll have to look at the venture card. I’ve not had it.

I'm assisting another friend with cc's (how do people NOT know this stuff by now!!!) and I see what I think is a home loan on her CK report within the past year, does this count against her 5/24 status? I have to ask her exactly what this is but I think it's a refi-
score is around 730-750
If it counts,she's at 4/24 (stupid store cc's!) if it doesn't she's 3/24.
The mortgage refinance will not count towards 5/24. Credit card companies also will not care about themultiple hard pulls that are usually required to refinance a mortgage.

Yes. To put it simply, it is two separate earning structures for the same reward currency.

Thanks. It makes sense but I wanted to make sure since it's looking like it might be worth it to switch over to Marriott brands for a while.

I FINALLY got the Amazon Amex MR deal to work!!! I did have to use my Biz Gold (for some reason system was not recognizing my Biz Plat as a MR card). So it does not make me happy to put the spend on it instead of the Plat that I am working on the MSR. But the $100 discount makes it worthwhile. For those who seem not to be targeted it might be worth a shot to try it. Put the .01 MR point in and then on special offer code box put AMEXTURKEY5. After reading that in a couple of the blogs that is how I got it to work.

I'm so glad you got it to work! DH had no problem, but I can't get it to work on my brand new Amazon acct. ;)

How long does it take to get the email? We did a bunch of Lowe's offers yesterday and have heard nothing.

No idea, like a PP, I added the offer after the purchase so I wasn't expecting anything. Since it's like the BofA offers I wouldn't expect them to be instant like with amex.

Hi everyone just giving a update on some promo offers if you did them. The Citi spend 30 on amazon 3 times does work..I already got my
30 statement credit before statement ended. Same with Hyatt i got the 25 credit already for spending 500 on cell grocery cable etc.

The Amazon Chase offer (15 off 60) showed up this morning. It did not for the last few days. Im going to try the trick @kMC886 mentioned
for Amex because i have yet to see that one.

I'm here at WDW and have about 30 pages to catch up on. I couldn't find the Southwest CC offer on my flight down. I don't like I was looking in the right place. They do still exist don't they?
I flew thurs and yesterday and saw it both times. I have the airtime player app. I launched it, and clicked live tv and a pop up popped up for the cc. I also found it by clicking on the app to go to SW website and it was on there somewhere...can't remember the exact details of that part.

I’m just worried about these DPs on reddit of not getting the bonus because of “abuse”.

You should definitely do what reddit is doing, that being sign up for the card, then IMMEDIATELY call/chat with Amex to see if your offer is attached because of "abuse."

Honestly, I think it's overblown. I've blown through most of Amex this year alone. No popups and no issues with referrals or bonuses posting. I'd say if you get the Plat just meet the spend and don't worry about it.

Ok so what would you do
Trying to decide if he should go for the spg lux or spg business.

We combined his Marriott and spg numbers so when we apply he should use the Marriott right? Also what’s the chances of being approved? Never had any Amex cards.

He travels about once a month and stays in the Marriott chain. Flys swa bwi and lax.

Open to suggestions. Also if there’s a non chase card that would be better open to that Idea as well. Looking for travel rewards or cash back. Thanks

Ok so what would you do
Trying to decide if he should go for the spg lux or spg business.

We combined his Marriott and spg numbers so when we apply he should use the Marriott right? Also what’s the chances of being approved? Never had any Amex cards.

He travels about once a month and stays in the Marriott chain. Flys swa bwi and lax.

Open to suggestions. Also if there’s a non chase card that would be better open to that Idea as well. Looking for travel rewards or cash back. Thanks

Amex cards are super easy to get. If u have never had any Amex cards, highly suggest to see if u can get the 100k amex Plat first. if not, then u can decide what to do.
SPG Biz and SPG lux point earning wise are the same, SPG biz has an extra 4x category though. Spg Lux has some extra perks such as gold(if u need it) and a $300 credit. also gives tsa pre/global entry and PP lounge access as well.

hmm...
ETOPs for SW could be delayed is the current rumor... dont expect to fly SW to Hawaii any time soon... :\ bad news for us all.

hmm...
ETOPs for SW could be delayed is the current rumor... dont expect to fly SW to Hawaii any time soon... :\ bad news for us all.
oh fiddlesticks. Well, I suppose that gives me longer to gather my points. :)
DH asked why we didn't use points for our hilton stay in CHS this weekend. I said b/c I got a discounted rate so I saved the points so we can get 700k for Hawaii.

So if I have an enterprise rental scheduled for pickup 12/15 but won't return til 12/22, is that going to work for the $20 back on $200 amex offer that expires on 12/15?

I had already bought stubhub gift cards from Staples to buy concert tickets for DH for Christmas, so I'd get 10% back with the AMEX offers. He's been dropping hints all weekend about trying to do a weekend to Orlando in January, and even taking a day or two off, so I think he'll like his gift :) So I just sat down and got those, and booked the Doubletree across from Universal for 3 nights for 90k Hilton points. I've got his flights booked on SW RRs currently, but don't have enough left to book mine, since we probably won't have CP. So I'm going to transfer in URs to book them. The flight back Sunday night is 19k RRs each though... I think when my CSR Travel Credit resets, I will use it towards the Frontier flights back home for $99 each. Unless they have some crazy sale in the next two and a half weeks before that happens, I might just pay cash then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter