I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH has been looking at Marriott hotels and points (we are new to this) and has a question about whether or not points stack if we pay for a night using the SPG Lux card. I'm quoting his question in the hope that someone here knows the answer. Called SPG and went around and around in circles.

SPG LUX / Marriot points question:
The lux card says it gives you 6 points on eligible hotel stays. Marriot/SPG give you 10 points for hotel stays at most locations (5 points at a few brands - let's ignore those for now).

So do I get 16 points per dollar spent on eligible stays? The LUX card gets me 6 more points?

I was sitting on WAY too many vgc's and Lowes gc for the past few months...i felt so much anxiety! I just this week have almost finished using them all up! (I kept feeling like something will go glitchy and wrong before I used them all)

I feel the same way. I don't like to sit on GCs at all and do what I can to use them up, so I'm not buying much in the way of GCs to hit my MSRs.

ETA - And LOL on the new name.

Last edited:
DH has been looking at Marriott hotels and points (we are new to this) and has a question about whether or not points stack if we pay for a night using the SPG Lux card. I'm quoting his question in the hope that someone here knows the answer. Called SPG and went around and around in circles.

The lux card says it gives you 6 points on eligible hotel stays. Marriot/SPG give you 10 points for hotel stays at most locations (5 points at a few brands - let's ignore those for now).

So do I get 16 points per dollar spent on eligible stays? The LUX card gets me 6 more points?

Yep. They are two separate earning structures. So you get the 10 base points through the Marriott/SPG program, then you'll earn the 6 points on the CC charge that will post later on your statement. The CC points goes by the total charge including the taxes and fees and whatnot, the Rewards program (or Bonvoy program... yeah that totally rolls off the tongue... not) basically earns on the room rate and food/beverage charged to the room.

Yep. They are two separate earning structures. So you get the 10 base points through the Marriott/SPG program, then you'll earn the 6 points on the CC charge that will post later on your statement. The CC points goes by the total charge including the taxes and fees and whatnot, the Rewards program (or Bonvoy program... yeah that totally rolls off the tongue... not) basically earns on the room rate and food/beverage charged to the room.

Thank you so much for explaining this. Looks like we might be staying at more Marriotts in the near future. ;)

So do I get 16 points per dollar sardpent on eligible stays? The LUX card gets me 6 more points?

It seems complicated, I agree! I stayed at a Courtyard for $125.43
Here's an example from my account:
+1,663 Points

(1,130 Base + 283 Elite + 250 Extra)
Then I also got 6x $125.43 in points on that stay from AMex.

Leak on the Marriott rewards program name - Marriott Bonvoy. https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-bonvoy/

I have no words. Was hoping for something better than that. The good thing is they should be changing the names of the higher rewards tiers, that should ease some confusion with 3 different levels of Platinum. But that's just an awkward name.
:sad2:The name is about as good as the merger has been.

I'm here at WDW and have about 30 pages to catch up on. I couldn't find the Southwest CC offer on my flight down. I don't like I was looking in the right place. They do still exist don't they?

You’re set. Cancel within 30 days of the close of the statement on which the AF posts for a full refund. The AF posts on the day before or on the last day of the 1st (and 13th) statement. So you should have almost 2 weeks in January 2020 to select your airline, buy a GC, and have the reimbursement post before you have to cancel.

I was listening....er...reading and retaining in the event I don't want to keep the Gold. But it's perks are pretty good now, and may just make it a keeper for my needs!

Yes. To put it simply, it is two separate earning structures for the same reward currency.

Bonvoy - I really hope that is a red herring and not the actual program name. Just keeping Marriott Rewards would be better than that. Someone over in Bethesda is suffering from a missing link to reality. They need to come up with something softer with a more welcoming feel.

The Blue Business plus has no AF and would not add to your */24.
No guarantees you would be targeted for the amazon offers but you’d at least have a chance then.
that's the one... I think I may go for that.... and also either Barclays + or the AA card with one purchase/60kpoints

Older daughter is on her way to Andorra (in Spain) right now. They rented a car in Barcelona and are doing a 7 day tour around. We are talking via WhatsApp which is like a video chat that you can use with wifi = free. Ya'll may know this one already but I just learned it on her last trip. It's a really nice way to stay up with the girls.

They left DCA Reagan on Friday around 1pm and arrived in Barcelona a couple hours earlier then expected, but the hotel gave them a room at 8am and offered an upgrade. She preferred to have a city view instead of a suite so they threw in breakfast. This room was booked on Avios as was the flight in business class. They went to Reagan early so as to enjoy a lounge and had a nice lunch there before leaving. They also got free parking for the car and the hotel had exactly 5 parking spaces! Center city in Barcelona I guess does not usually include car travel. But she is very familiar with Spain after teaching there. The hotel is something in the Marriott brand and I forgot the names of all the places she's staying. They let her put her MR number on it, but I doubt that will do anything as she is already Plat and she will get about 7-8 more nights this trip, - probably won't reach next level before January.

Anyway the room is like a suite, so not sure what a suite would be - I had the video tour. I'll get names for the next chat. Very, very nice! I think I mentioned in a much earlier post that when avios had a promo, she opened something like 8-9 accounts (family members) and also purchased $375 worth of points, which netted her a lot of rooms and flights. Mostly on American Airlines. These points expire if they weren't booked by a certain date so she has future stays and flights ready to go, one being Panama as well as Grand Cayman in the spring. Dinner last night was a picnic in the room with wine, etc and then a walk around town plus more wine = tipsy daughter.

Anyway she's having fun so far.

I'm assisting another friend with cc's (how do people NOT know this stuff by now!!!) and I see what I think is a home loan on her CK report within the past year, does this count against her 5/24 status? I have to ask her exactly what this is but I think it's a refi-
score is around 730-750
If it counts,she's at 4/24 (stupid store cc's!) if it doesn't she's 3/24.

since her travel goals are domestic and possibly France, I was gonna get her started on the swa bandwagon, but possibly add in the csp at some point for the overseas travel(?)
Her first interest is SWA, so I'm gonna rec. that 50k swa offer if it's still around..... since that's the bargain right now (?)
would the biz/pers. dip work for her score level? and if so, it's biz first then pers? or she can do persona and wait 30 days for the biz....(?)

I'm seriously considering another card also. Not meeting a 2k MSR for another month+ is more than I can deal with lol! Thinking about either the Arrival+ (for dh) or the Amex BBP (for dh).

So, about the Arrival + . . . I'm trying to wrap my head around this. In a nutshell, you charge travel and then "erase" it with accumulated credits? Is there a time limit? In other words, can you charge travel and erase 6 months later once you've accumulated points? I've never used this type of card before, but I think it would be a good one for us since many of the things we like to do can't be done on points. Is the Arrival + the best deal going as far as travel eraser cards go? I feel like I need a tutorial on this card lol!

I FINALLY got the Amazon Amex MR deal to work!!! I did have to use my Biz Gold (for some reason system was not recognizing my Biz Plat as a MR card). So it does not make me happy to put the spend on it instead of the Plat that I am working on the MSR. But the $100 discount makes it worthwhile. For those who seem not to be targeted it might be worth a shot to try it. Put the .01 MR point in and then on special offer code box put AMEXTURKEY5. After reading that in a couple of the blogs that is how I got it to work.

So, about the Arrival + . . . I'm trying to wrap my head around this. In a nutshell, you charge travel and then "erase" it with accumulated credits? Is there a time limit? In other words, can you charge travel and erase 6 months later once you've accumulated points? I've never used this type of card before, but I think it would be a good one for us since many of the things we like to do can't be done on points. Is the Arrival + the best deal going as far as travel eraser cards go? I feel like I need a tutorial on this card lol!

I have had the Arrival Plus before and then just got it again couple months ago. Yes you make the charges and then there is a part on the site that has where you can credit your account back (or erase the charges). I think time limit is like 90 days. There is a minimum redemption of points you have to use. The other option if you can get it is the Capital One Venture Preferred. It has the sign up of 75k also AF waived first year. I have had it as well. Works the same way basically. I think the Venture might have a little bit broader categories and redemption can be for any amount. I even used the Venture to erase charges on a rental home. But the Arrival Plus is nice since it is a MasterCard and good to have for the Plastiq deals and mortgages etc.

There is a limit on time, I believe 90 days maybe? I closed mine, so I cannot look, but I do know you cannot wait for 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter