• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to google how it works going from UR to Marriott but all I keep coming up with is people going from UR to Marriott to SPG. I'm really considering booking the new Courtyard by Marriott outside DL for next May but I can't figure out whether it is better to transfer my UR points to Marriott. I've never moved points like that. Do UR points transfer better over to Marriott?

I would check first to see if it would be less points to pay for Marriott with the CSR than to transfer. If the room is 40,000 Marriott points per night vs $300 per night you use less points by using the UR travel portal. When transferring out you need to make sure you are in the right UR account. If you are in the Freedom or CFU account, those points wontvtransfer to an airline or hotel.

Last edited:
Oh Chase why do you treat me so? Applied for Disney card, got 30 day message online, 2 week message on phone, 2 days later that's back to 30 day message. I think I've maxed out the credit they'll extend to me so I hope they shuffle some around and that's the only problem...

If it is a matter of transferring credit from an existing card to a new card, I don't think Chase is going to do that without speaking to you. I have called to check on the status of an application and had the rep say they would approve the new card but not extend any more credit so which card did I want to take credit from and how much. I have seen reports of other people receiving a letter saying essentially the same thing. But I don't think Chase will decrease the CL on an existing account without you saying that's what you want to do. I could be wrong, but I suspect you are going to have to call.

I would check first to see if it would be less points to pay for Marriott with the CSR than to transfer. If the room is 40,000 Marriott points per night vs $300 per night you use less points by using the UR travel portal. When transferring out you need to make sure you are in the right UR account. If you are in the Freedom or CFU account, those points wontvtransfer to an airline or hotel.

So, on the Marriott website, it is 40k points or $224 avg per night. On UR, it is $224 per night or $149 using points (on CSR). You are saying it's better to redeem through UR in this case?

If it is a matter of transferring credit from an existing card to a new card, I don't think Chase is going to do that without speaking to you. I have called to check on the status of an application and had the rep say they would approve the new card but not extend any more credit so which card did I want to take credit from and how much. I have seen reports of other people receiving a letter saying essentially the same thing. But I don't think Chase will decrease the CL on an existing account without you saying that's what you want to do. I could be wrong, but I suspect you are going to have to call.
Oh they totally will and they can screw you over royally in doing so. (Personally, I don't care how they redistribute my CLs and if they say to call in a letter I'll do it myself then.) My story: my mom applied for the CSR. Was stuck at 30 days for awhile, just waited it out. A couple weeks later got approved. Also got a letter stating they dropped her Ink CL (which her legit company has had for years) from 26K to 6K (no other business cards) and 1 personal Chase card -of which she had plenty of high CL personal Chase cards they could have pulled from but they used Ink and her lowest CL personal card instead- from 10K to 5K and they approved her CSR with a 25K CL. Mom has called & SMd on multiple occasions to get at least some of the CL returned to the Ink card but each time Chase says "we don't move credit between personal and business" she says "but you did! just look". "sorry, we don't move credit between personal and business". If we had known about rebalancing CLs earlier this year I would have advised her to call so she could have re-arranged her own CLs but Chase royally screwed her by doing it without her consent. (If only she'd kept that dang letter!)

Currently she's looking at picking up an Ink Preferred (she doesn't have that one), bagging the bonus and then transferring CL from that card to the old one in a year (the old one still has good earnings categories for her). Maybe they can transfer CLs between cards of the same business at least?!

Last edited:
Finally made the last minute ressie for August. UR portal had pofq for 10k points and but with taxes it was 24k total for 2 nights. Found pofq on Hotwire for $82/night plus tax. Total was $208 for both nights. So I booked that way and will do a statement credit for 20,800 points from my UR to cover the hotel. That way I saved 4K points...right? Did I do well!?

Finally made the last minute ressie for August. UR portal had pofq for 10k points and but with taxes it was 24k total for 2 nights. Found pofq on Hotwire for $82/night plus tax. Total was $208 for both nights. So I booked that way and will do a statement credit for 20,800 points from my UR to cover the hotel. That way I saved 4K points...right? Did I do well!?
I take it you don't have a Sapphire Preferred or Reserve that would get you 1.25x or 1.5x redemption rates on UR? If you don't, yeah hotwire was a better route. You could also redeem those points now for $208.00 cash and put it in your bank account until it comes time to pay the bill.

I've been trying to google how it works going from UR to Marriott but all I keep coming up with is people going from UR to Marriott to SPG. I'm really considering booking the new Courtyard by Marriott outside DL for next May but I can't figure out whether it is better to transfer my UR points to Marriott. I've never moved points like that. Do UR points transfer better over to Marriott?

i believe you can do that. but from UR to marriott to SPG, your gonna lose 1/3 of your points which i dont think its worth it. Honestly though, if you did the 100k or 80k Marriott card, then transfer it to SPG, i would totally do that. i recall SPG points are valued at 2.3cpp, UR points are somewhere close to it, but marriott is like .8ccp.

So, on the Marriott website, it is 40k points or $224 avg per night. On UR, it is $224 per night or $149 using points (on CSR). You are saying it's better to redeem through UR in this case?

40k is a ripoff for a room costing $224 per night. go the CSR route is the best. Marriott points are quite worth it via I was told though Marriott Vacation packages are the way to go. Im not sure if that is true or not.

Last edited:

It depends on whether you have the CSP or CSR that gives you a bonus on your redemption through the travel portal. If not, then this seems like your best route. Otherwise, you would have paid 25% (CSP) or 50% (CSR) fewer points for the same redemption.

Oh they totally will and they can screw you over royally in doing so. (Personally, I don't care how they redistribute my CLs and if they say to call in a letter I'll do it myself then.) My story: my mom applied for the CSR. Was stuck at 30 days for awhile, just waited it out. A couple weeks later got approved. Also got a letter stating they dropped her Ink CL (which her legit company has had for years) from 26K to 6K (no other business cards) and 1 personal Chase card -of which she had plenty of high CL personal Chase cards they could have pulled from but they used Ink and her lowest CL personal card instead- from 10K to 5K and they approved her CSR with a 25K CL. Mom has called & SMd on multiple occasions to get at least some of the CL returned to the Ink card but each time Chase says "we don't move credit between personal and business" she says "but you did! just look". "sorry, we don't move credit between personal and business". If we had known about rebalancing CLs earlier this year I would have advised her to call so she could have re-arranged her own CLs but Chase royally screwed her by doing it without her consent. (If only she'd kept that dang letter!)

Currently she's looking at picking up an Ink Preferred (she doesn't have that one), bagging the bonus and then transferring CL from that card to the old one in a year (the old one still has good earnings categories for her). Maybe they can transfer CLs between cards of the same business at least?!

Wow - I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing what happened to your mom. I'm usually too impatient to wait for a letter but now I have another reason to call ASAP. I would be quite unhappy if Chase so drastically altered my CLs.

I'm not sure where you are getting the $149 from. I picked a random date for the Courtyard Marriott in the Chase UR portal. One night is $278.46 or if I pay with points in my CSR account it is 19,164 UR points. I wouldn't transfer 40,000 UR points to Marriott to book the room when I can pay for the same room in the UR portal a little over 19,000 UR points. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure where you are getting the $149 from. I picked a random date for the Courtyard Marriott in the Chase UR portal. One night is $278.46 or if I pay with points in my CSR account it is 19,164 UR points. I wouldn't transfer 40,000 UR points to Marriott to book the room when I can pay for the same room in the UR portal a little over 19,000 UR points. Hope that helps.

I'm looking at 4 nights next May. The nights are coming up $224 each or 59,xxx for all 4 nights. I divided that by 4. That doesn't include taxes or fees yet. And it's non refundable so not booking it at this point. (Nothing refundable for my dates right now).

I had seen a couple people mentioning transferring UR points to Marriott so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Went back and booked All Star Music for points and no added fees. It's refundable so I'm keeping my eyes out for a better deal.

Was that the same resort you were looking at or did you find a way to get around those fees? I noticed that too but only really saw it with the values, like a pp mentioned.

I'm looking at 4 nights next May. The nights are coming up $224 each or 59,xxx for all 4 nights. I divided that by 4. That doesn't include taxes or fees yet. And it's non refundable so not booking it at this point.

I had seen a couple people mentioning transferring UR points to Marriott so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Yes, the UR points can be transferred to Marriott. The only time I would do that is if it cost less in points to the book the room than it did do pay for the room with points. If 40,000 points covers the entire stay then yes, that is better than 59,000 points of course. Unfortunately that isn't always the case.

I do the same thing when I book flights. If a United flight is 50,000 miles on an award ticket vs $1200 or 80,000 UR points then I'm going to transfer to the airline. But if the same 50,000 awards flight is $500 then I would pay it with UR points through the travel portal.

Wow - I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing what happened to your mom. I'm usually too impatient to wait for a letter but now I have another reason to call ASAP. I would be quite unhappy if Chase so drastically altered my CLs.
You got me thinking about it :) so I decided it was stupid of me to risk Chase doing something ridiculous with my CLs so I called. After putting me on hold for a few mins the rep came back and said he could access my application but I would hear something back in 30 days :confused3. This is the only time the reps haven't been able to hasten my app along...

Two Questions for all of you experts.

1. I have the SPG and the Chase Marriott. It would make more sense to use the SPG to get points as it would be 1 point SPG and 3 point Marriott instead of using the Marriott which would be 1 point Marriott and 1/3 point SPG. Is that correct??

2. Just waiting for my SW points to post and I will have the companion pass. We have a family vacation booked for December and flights already booked. So, my plan was to make my DD my companion and then I could cancel her ticket and book her as a companion. I had already purchased the Early Bird Check in for everyone. How do I go about doing this so I won't lose that on her?

I would call Southwest directly and see if there is anyway to make that change so you don't lose the Early Bird fee that you paid. I always call to make the changes with the CP so that the EB is not impacted.

Was that the same resort you were looking at or did you find a way to get around those fees? I noticed that too but only really saw it with the values, like a pp mentioned.
No, I originally looked at Pop and it was $330 in fees :scared: Asmu was the only other value for my dates.

They have done it to us twice. Both times we got a letter after the fact that said "Here is your new credit limit for x card just as we discussed on phone." Applied for the new card online and never once did they call us or we speak to anyone. Happened when we got our last 2 Chase cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter