I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi gang! Long time no posting - quick question:

Going to close SW card to avoid $69 annual fee; is there a way to get the anniversary bonus AND avoid annual fee? Looking at last year’s statement, bonus points posted to statement ending June 26; annual fee was charged on June 1.

If I close the card on May 31, will I avoid the fee but get the bonus post?

Hi gang! Long time no posting - quick question:

Going to close SW card to avoid $69 annual fee; is there a way to get the anniversary bonus AND avoid annual fee? Looking at last year’s statement, bonus points posted to statement ending June 26; annual fee was charged on June 1.

If I close the card on May 31, will I avoid the fee but get the bonus post?

If you close it on May 31, you are unlikely to get the bonus. However, you should be able to close it after the statement closes and the points post. You may have up to 30 days after the statement to close and get the annual fee refunded, but to be safe, if you close by Jun 30 you should be good.

I seem to recall the first time they sent out 1099s for referrals, they came in August!
I think it was very end of Jan that year- except for those they forgot who got their surprises in Aug causing re-filing. One of my players had to do that, Chase did reimburse their costs as they said they would. At the end of the day the accountant is pretty much the only one who benefited lol but they got a little extra cc spend for the annoyance factor.

I got home from my Edinburgh, London and Paris trip last night. In the past I have said that I have some seriously bad luck when I travel (I had to leave a day early because of the Lufthansa strike, which affected my FRA-->EDI flight), and that statement stands.

I knew in advance of my travels that there was a snowstorm arriving at home yesterday afternoon, but hoped for the best. I wasn't able to get a direct flight home -- I had a 3 hour connection in Montreal (less than ideal when weather is going to play a factor). I saw in the morning that there were 2 biz class seats on the direct flight, so headed to the airport 3 hours early to try to snag 1 of the 2 open seats. The CSR called over his manager, but she said that economy class was oversold and they had to upgrade 2 passengers to make room for the passengers that would otherwise be bumped. My flight to Montreal took off as scheduled and was uneventful. Upon landing I headed to my connecting gate to see that all but 2 flights to Toronto had been cancelled yesterday (due to weather). Luckily my flight was 1 of the flights scheduled to depart (with 68 passengers on the standby list). I decided to pass my layover in the AC lounge, which was packed, but I was able to get a seat close to a power outlet so that I could charge my phone and iPad. When I left the lounge there was a long line to get into the lounge since I guess it was filled up when I was there. Got to my gate and it was total chaos. There was no semblance of a line and there were people everywhere. When they called for zone 1 boarding no one wanted to let those of us in zone 1 anywhere near the check-in point -- the lady ahead of me had to elbow through the crowd to be able to check-in (at least 12 people said they were in zone 1 and tried to check-in ahead of her, only to be told they couldn't board because their zone hadn't been called yet). Once the flight was boarded the flight attendants began a game of hunger games for carry-on bags (I didn't have an issue because I was in zone 1, thank goodness). We sat for almost 80 minutes before we got clearance for a landing spot at Toronto. The flight was uneventful, but once we landed, there weren't any gates (we were on a 777 and not many gates can house this size of plane). So we sat on the tarmac for close to an hour.

I was so glad when we finally arrived at the gate! Booked my way out to the waiting area for limos and my troubles were still plaguing me. There was a huge line and no cars. I waited for 40 minutes for a limo to get home. We boarded the plane at 6:30pm for a 1 hour flight and I got home at 10:30pm (I live 20 mins, with no traffic, from the airport). It was still snowing when we landed and the highway was snow covered, but apparently my limo driver either wasn't aware of the horrible road conditions or didn't care because he was driving like a maniac. Weaving around cars, passing 18 wheelers and going over the speed limit. Thankfully I made it home safely. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to 5 months of no travel.

A brief review of the Mayfair Townhouse (in London). I was able to get an offer from the hotel website: "stay 2 nights or more, save 30%" + 50pound f&b credit. This made the rate unbeatable and the location, being a 4 minute walk from Green Park tube station (which has 3 lines) made it ideal. I e-mailed them in advance asking for a quiet room and was assured that I would be assigned a quiet room. The front desk assured me on check-in that my room "was one of our quietest rooms". They also charged my card 50pounds per night for incidentals. I don't think in my travels that I've ever had such a large amount taken for incidentals. This was a charge to my card, not 'holding' funds. Incidentally I checked out on March 19th and these funds still haven't been returned to my card.

My room was compact, which doesn't bother me since I'm never in the room. It did have a nice big closet, which I always appreciate. Trouble started the first night -- the noise was unbelievable. Cars with music blaring, trucks passing in front, he honking of people locking car doors, etc. I acknowledge that for most people this wouldn't cause a problem, but since I am a very light sleeper, it kept me up past 3am. Plus I had asked in advance for a quiet room and was assured I'd receive one.

I had to get up early the next morning for a walking tour of Notting Hill (which was really interesting), but did try to call the front desk manager to see if I could move to another, perhaps quieter, room. She wasn't available, so I called again after my tour was over; not available again, so I left her a v-mail. When I hadn't heard back from her 2 hours later I called again. This time the front desk found her -- boy was she rude. Like seriously rude. She said that my room "had double glazing" and "no one else in that room had ever complained about the noise". I don't see the point in those comments since it obviously affected me. She said that she didn't have any rooms to move me to and I could pack up and leave the hotel by 5pm for a refund (that gave me 2 hours to get back, pack up and find another property). After some back and forth she said she was able to find another room, if I wanted to move. I agreed to move (since I need my sleep) and immediately headed back to the hotel. When I got back to my room I noticed that my windows were not double-glazed like she said. Oy. The front desk brought up my keys to my new room on the 4th floor, which did have double-glazed windows (which made a huge difference).

My room on the 4th floor was huge, which was nice, but not something that I'd pay for since I'm never in the room, other than to sleep and shower. There was a very odd box of chocolates in the room (no mention of where they were from; it was a box shaped like a house with a mound of chocolates inside -- I left them behind since the box wasn't sealed, there was no name of the mfg on the box and no expiry date).

When I checked out the head front office manager happened to be at the desk and asked how my stay was. I hesitated because I did not want to rehash the situation, but I didn't want to lie either. He seemed to sense my hesitation and pressed me, so I told him what had happened. He then decided to gaslight me and say that the manager that I spoke with "is lovely" and would never talk to a guest the way she spoke to me. Umm, that did not make me feel any better. I got away from his as quickly as possible. He e-mailed me the next day and said as a "goodwill gesture" he was going to waive the 5% "room surcharge", which amounted to 50pounds.

I would never stay at this hotel again. Never ever. And would not recommend it, despite the great location.

I think it was very end of Jan that year- except for those they forgot who got their surprises in Aug causing re-filing. One of my players had to do that, Chase did reimburse their costs as they said they would. At the end of the day the accountant is pretty much the only one who benefited lol but they got a little extra cc spend for the annoyance factor.
Ah OK. 2023 is the first time we have gotten Chase 1099s from referrals. I expected one for DH referring me for a marriott card as I had heard they were sending out for support points so I will be unhappy if it comes after I file. I do my own taxes so the corrected forms will be on me.

I
A brief review of the Mayfair Townhouse (in London). I was able to get an offer from the hotel website: "stay 2 nights or more, save 30%" + 50pound f&b credit. This made the rate unbeatable and the location, being a 4 minute walk from Green Park tube station (which has 3 lines) made it ideal. I e-mailed them in advance asking for a quiet room and was assured that I would be assigned a quiet room. The front desk assured me on check-in that my room "was one of our quietest rooms". They also charged my card 50pounds per night for incidentals. I don't think in my travels that I've ever had such a large amount taken for incidentals. This was a charge to my card, not 'holding' funds. Incidentally I checked out on March 19th and these funds still haven't been returned to my card.

My room was compact, which doesn't bother me since I'm never in the room. It did have a nice big closet, which I always appreciate. Trouble started the first night -- the noise was unbelievable. Cars with music blaring, trucks passing in front, he honking of people locking car doors, etc. I acknowledge that for most people this wouldn't cause a problem, but since I am a very light sleeper, it kept me up past 3am. Plus I had asked in advance for a quiet room and was assured I'd receive one.

I had to get up early the next morning for a walking tour of Notting Hill (which was really interesting), but did try to call the front desk manager to see if I could move to another, perhaps quieter, room. She wasn't available, so I called again after my tour was over; not available again, so I left her a v-mail. When I hadn't heard back from her 2 hours later I called again. This time the front desk found her -- boy was she rude. Like seriously rude. She said that my room "had double glazing" and "no one else in that room had ever complained about the noise". I don't see the point in those comments since it obviously affected me. She said that she didn't have any rooms to move me to and I could pack up and leave the hotel by 5pm for a refund (that gave me 2 hours to get back, pack up and find another property). After some back and forth she said she was able to find another room, if I wanted to move. I agreed to move (since I need my sleep) and immediately headed back to the hotel. When I got back to my room I noticed that my windows were not double-glazed like she said. Oy. The front desk brought up my keys to my new room on the 4th floor, which did have double-glazed windows (which made a huge difference).

My room on the 4th floor was huge, which was nice, but not something that I'd pay for since I'm never in the room, other than to sleep and shower. There was a very odd box of chocolates in the room (no mention of where they were from; it was a box shaped like a house with a mound of chocolates inside -- I left them behind since the box wasn't sealed, there was no name of the mfg on the box and no expiry date).

When I checked out the head front office manager happened to be at the desk and asked how my stay was. I hesitated because I did not want to rehash the situation, but I didn't want to lie either. He seemed to sense my hesitation and pressed me, so I told him what had happened. He then decided to gaslight me and say that the manager that I spoke with "is lovely" and would never talk to a guest the way she spoke to me. Umm, that did not make me feel any better. I got away from his as quickly as possible. He e-mailed me the next day and said as a "goodwill gesture" he was going to waive the 5% "room surcharge", which amounted to 50pounds.

I would never stay at this hotel again. Never ever. And would not recommend it, despite the great location.
Are there parts of London that are generally quiet? I'm planning a last minute Sept trip with my two sons (20&22) and trying to figure out where to stay. I'm a light sleeper too, and not very pleasant when I'm tired, so a quiet place would be helpful. This will be our first trip there, and I'm kind of overwhelmed.

I

Are there parts of London that are generally quiet? I'm planning a last minute Sept trip with my two sons (20&22) and trying to figure out where to stay. I'm a light sleeper too, and not very pleasant when I'm tired, so a quiet place would be helpful. This will be our first trip there, and I'm kind of overwhelmed.
We stayed at the Conrad last May and it was extremely quiet. Our room was on the interior side and faced the interior "courtyard" (we just saw the walls/windows of the other sides of the hotel). We also loved the location. I would definitely stay there again.

I apologize if this has already been covered, but next quarter Chase Freedom Flex offers 5% back on hotels. Does anyone know if I make a payment on my disney package will this qualify, or does it need to be strictly a hotel?
I have the same question, did you get an answer?

I

I don't think any parts of central London will be super quiet, but double-glazing on room windows makes a huge difference. I've also stayed at the Conrad St. James (street-facing room) and didn't have any issues with noise. The reason that I didn't stay there again is that I wanted to be on more tube lines (the Conrad is on the circle line and not really walking distance to any good restaurants). I would consider staying at the Conrad again, but I prefer the Mayfair area. It would come down to price and location. Probably my favorite hotel in London is the Beaumont, but it is pricey and not as close to tube stations as I would like.

Thanks for all of the responses to my rental car questions. So far the rates are cheaper through Costco so I think we will just get our own membership so we can use a CSP or CSR for payment.

I apologize if this has already been covered, but next quarter Chase Freedom Flex offers 5% back on hotels. Does anyone know if I make a payment on my disney package will this qualify, or does it need to be strictly a hotel?

I have the same question, did you get an answer?
I'm going to guess no. I haven't done a package in years but I believe they still do come through as the Disney travel company which is unlikely to be coded as a hotel. It's a travel agency so counts as travel, but specifically hotel, probably not.

There's a description of the categories in the FAQs https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/freedom/freedomfive-learnmore

Hotel Category
Merchants in this category include hotels and motels, and many smaller establishments like bed & breakfasts, and inns. Hotel accommodations not booked directly with the hotel will not qualify; for example, hotel accommodations purchased through travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, or as part of a package offered by merchants such as cruise lines and railways.

Can you do a small payment and check first? Or do you have a charge you can check the category it's listed as? As soon as it posts you'll see if you earned the 5% on the transaction and then you'll know if you want to do a larger one. But I'd be surprised if it worked.

Hi everyone!
thanks for past advice. I met the MSR for my latest Ink in only 2 months. Have about 10k in upcoming charges. I could put it all on my surpass and get my fnc or find another SUB. P2 could try an INK, or maybe something else. Im at 4/24 and he's at 3/24.
Hoping for a retention offer on my amex plat in June, I'm thinking of closing it but have an ama cruise in Oct I need to use it for to get the extra bennies.

Not flying SW since they did away with most non stops out of phl. may go to europe this summer, lisbon, berlin and warsaw, so not sure what airline (s)

I do have to use my new $300 travel credit before new csr af posts in May. Can I buy united tb with it?

p2 should have venture x $300 credit to use soon although that has to be booked thru their portal

appreciate the assistance

Last day of Mint! I will miss it.

Was looking for a free option, so tried out Empower, but didn't like that you can't do transaction subcategories. So far, I like Fidelity Full View better (already had existing account). Feels somewhat similar to Mint, at least for what I mainly use it for, which is keeping track of cc transactions and categorizing them.

Hi everyone!
thanks for past advice. I met the MSR for my latest Ink in only 2 months. Have about 10k in upcoming charges. I could put it all on my surpass and get my fnc or find another SUB. P2 could try an INK, or maybe something else. Im at 4/24 and he's at 3/24.
Hoping for a retention offer on my amex plat in June, I'm thinking of closing it but have an ama cruise in Oct I need to use it for to get the extra bennies.

Not flying SW since they did away with most non stops out of phl. may go to europe this summer, lisbon, berlin and warsaw, so not sure what airline (s)

I do have to use my new $300 travel credit before new csr af posts in May. Can I buy united tb with it?

p2 should have venture x $300 credit to use soon although that has to be booked thru their portal

appreciate the assistance

According to the terms, the cruise needs to be booked with the plat, but the balance can be paid with any Amex. I've even paid a small amount on the CSR for the insurance and kept the benefits.

United TB codes airfare on Amex, so probably it'll work for the CSR travel credit. Though I would just do a refundable hotel. Chase isn't known to clawback like Amex.

I

I'll throw this out there, as we are airbnb-ers. I like renting apartments, we have airbnb'ed in Budapest, Vienna, Dublin. We stayed in an airbnb in an area not far from the Edgeware Rd tube station (there are actually 2 separate Edgeware stations on different lines), called Hyde Park mansions on Cabbell St. Nice 2 BR place as we had our DD with us, kitchen for breakfast. Definitely quiet, and close to transportation, walking distance from Paddington Station and many restaurants.

Question on Chase credit limits when you are applying for a new card. If you are an AU on other cards, does that count towards your total credit limits? Or just the cards where you are the cardholder. This isn't a x/24 question, these are very old cards that dd is an AU on, but I want her to apply for a CIC or CIU and she doesn't have a huge household income so I want to see what will count against her credit limits.

Last day of Mint! I will miss it.

Was looking for a free option, so tried out Empower, but didn't like that you can't do transaction subcategories. So far, I like Fidelity Full View better (already had existing account). Feels somewhat similar to Mint, at least for what I mainly use it for, which is keeping track of cc transactions and categorizing them.

I loved Mint too! I also am using Fidelity Full view and so far, I'm good with it. It doesn't seem like it syncs quite as effortlessly as Mint did, and I'm a total nerd, so I don't love the fact that it rounds everything to the nearest dollar for your totals, but otherwise, I find it pretty easy to use.

Question on Hyatt FNC earned from holding the personal card. I have one that expires 8/8/24 which is a Thursday. We are staying one night in Miami where I could use, it, but I'd rather use points there to stay at one of the Category 5 or higher hotels.

The next stay I could use it at is the weekend after it expires (staying 8/10/24). I chatted with them and they said they cannot extend it. I guess there is no way to book something before 8/8 and then cancel it to be able to book one a couple of days later?

If not, we'll probably just use it in Miami for one of the category 1-4, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any options that I could use to be able to use it two days after it expires.

Thanks!

Question on Hyatt FNC earned from holding the personal card. I have one that expires 8/8/24 which is a Thursday. We are staying one night in Miami where I could use, it, but I'd rather use points there to stay at one of the Category 5 or higher hotels.

The next stay I could use it at is the weekend after it expires (staying 8/10/24). I chatted with them and they said they cannot extend it. I guess there is no way to book something before 8/8 and then cancel it to be able to book one a couple of days later?

If not, we'll probably just use it in Miami for one of the category 1-4, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any options that I could use to be able to use it two days after it expires.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Hyatt doesn't extend FNCs. If it wasn't a Chase FNC, sometimes they'll give you 10k points after it expires. Not sure how much being Globalist matters for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter