Would you buy a resale with 2042 end date?

I think this kind of gets missed in some of the analysis - when we buy in, we are on the hook for years and years of annual fees. So there is less risk in a shorter term. It is very difficult to predict what things will look like in 30 years - you kind of have to have faith that Disney will keep things nice and popular.
I agree. The earlier expiration was something we WANTED so we happily bought at a 2042 resort. I don't want to be on the hook for fees forever and I have no idea what life will look like in 18 years. I like having an easy exit strategy.

I went back and forth on this one for months...as the kind folks on this board will attest to. :) Despite loving Crescent Lake, I had it in my head that 2042 didn't make any sense under any circumstances...until it did. Found a BWV contract where the math worked for me and plan to use it exclusively at BWV.

So I say go for it...as long as YOU are comfortable with it!
I did the same thing. Both my wife & I love the Crescent Lake area but I couldn't get around the 2042 date. Every now and then I would peak at the BWV resale contracts that matched our use year, and last week found a contract that we feel the math "works" and we are now in ROFR. Its crazy but I agree with everyone that says, buy where you want to stay. Having to settle at the 7th month window is not always the most magical experience.

I also say go for it, if it is truly where you want to stay.

I am looking at buying DVC. If I can't be on monorail, my next fave resort is BWV. It seems to sell resale about $105/point.
Only thing is it expires in 2042 - so 18 years.
I could buy SSR for not much more with a longer date, but its not my first choice to own.
Thoughts?
We went with a VGF contract and a BWV contract for our WDW trips.…. best of both worlds!

As others have said, only buy points at a resort you would be happy to stay at and only buy a 2042 if you plan to hold it until expiration.

To each their own but for us I bought SSR at a lower pp and am happy with it. We have yet to stay there lol. I think we lucked out to get BWV for one of our trips this year but am a ok with that :).
This. We are at WDW now. I own SS and Aulani. Last time, we were here we stayed at PVB and 1-2 nights at SS. SS big, not so bad if you can stay by the main building.
This trip we stayed at GF and BLT., Then back to GF. And then we are paying cash for last 3 nights. We are here 2 weeks & desperately need more points. Hahaha
My point is we have stayed at the more desirable resorts. BUT I haven’t been able to ever get more 1-2 nights at BW at this time of year, Never consecutive days. BW is 1 of our favorites too. I am freaked out about the end date issue.
Actually, we are trying to decide where to buy now and direct or resale.

We purchased BRV this year because after staying there in January we knew we'd want to stay there a lot. Technically, we could probably get in there at the 7-month mark with SAP. But in the end, we decided we'd rather book our preferred resort 11 months out (I'm a planner!) and not have to stress about things since we are somewhat particular about travel dates.

If we loved BCV or BWV, I think buying points there would be even more necessary since they are often harder to book.

Honestly the answer is probably buy BWV now and in 2040ish buy SSR resale for its remaining 13ish years. You will probably come out ahead financially and you have a built in escape date of 2042 if needed.

Side note to the OP: If you first love is to be on the monorail loop, why aren’t you shopping Bay Lake resale. It isn’t that much more than either BWV or SSR and you get many more years.

Glad I found this post. I’m in a similar boat 😜. I bought 150 VGF direct last summer with a February use year. Haven’t used my points yet but we’re going after Christmas this year. But I’m already looking to add on. I loved BWV when we stayed there 4 years ago and that’s what I was debating when I bought my direct points last year. Excited for VGF but I want a small contract outside of the monorail and I keep coming back to BWV because of the point chart. Stayed at yacht club last summer and I liked that too but not sold on Beach Club yet. Depends on finding the right contract. I also looked at the 2042 expiration as a potential good thing and am going into the buying process under the assumption that the points will expire then.

I did the same thing. Both my wife & I love the Crescent Lake area but I couldn't get around the 2042 date. Every now and then I would peak at the BWV resale contracts that matched our use year, and last week found a contract that we feel the math "works" and we are now in ROFR. Its crazy but I agree with everyone that says, buy where you want to stay. Having to settle at the 7th month window is not always the most magical experience.

I also say go for it, if it is truly where you want to stay.
Let us know how ROFR goes! We've been thinking about adding on 100 or so points but I've seen price per point pretty varied--everything from $135 to $110. Our current contract has an unusual use year (September) wed want to try and match so I've been using that as an excuse to hold off.

I am looking at buying DVC. If I can't be on monorail, my next fave resort is BWV. It seems to sell resale about $105/point.
Only thing is it expires in 2042 - so 18 years.
I could buy SSR for not much more with a longer date, but its not my first choice to own.
Thoughts?
I think BWV is fairly priced at $105/point, and I’m a grump about DVC prices. It has VERY low point standard view rooms and if you book standard studios you can make back your entire buy in in just a few years. As noted above, they are frequently hard to get, but you only need to get them a few times to make the whole contract really pay out.

I wouldn’t buy SSR to stay at BWV unless you plan to exclusively stay in pool/garden 1 Bedrooms.

We bought BWV a few years ago. It was more expensive compared to other resorts when breaking down cost per point per year. We bought a smaller contract intending to use those points mostly at BW and likely until 2042. It is working out how we hoped. There is a higher buy-in cost but even after applying TVM and dues it is offset by relatively low points required for standard and BW view. On average we’re still getting a low cost per night, and equally important, at one of our preferred resorts on a regular basis.

I’m not that concerned about resale value taking a dive that last decade. There’s the list of cons and one big pro which might be quite attractive: small buy-in and commitment. That could actually expand the pool of buyers. People who don’t want to lay out a huge chunk of money, and are more sure about visiting WDW over the next 5-10 years than over the next decades.

If there was a way to buy Copper Creek today for a 7 or 8 year contract, what $pp might that cost? Timing of the economy and how competitive WDW and other cash options will matter. But beyond that I think there will be takers for short contracts at the more popular resorts. BW and BC might do just fine… I’d have already taken many great trips on the contract and possibly still get an OK sum for the few years left if we needed to sell. In either direction don’t think it will be life changing. I’m ok with that.

I agree with everyone, you need to buy where you love and at a price that you are happy with. We really loved BWV and would love to stay there again in a heartbeat, but we are just not that picky about which resort we stay at, so buying SAP at a better price point made more sense for us.

We bought BWV a few years ago. It was more expensive compared to other resorts when breaking down cost per point per year. We bought a smaller contract intending to use those points mostly at BW and likely until 2042. It is working out how we hoped. There is a higher buy-in cost but even after applying TVM and dues it is offset by relatively low points required for standard and BW view. On average we’re still getting a low cost per night, and equally important, at one of our preferred resorts on a regular basis.

I’m not that concerned about resale value taking a dive that last decade. There’s the list of cons and one big pro which might be quite attractive: small buy-in and commitment. That could actually expand the pool of buyers. People who don’t want to lay out a huge chunk of money, and are more sure about visiting WDW over the next 5-10 years than over the next decades.

If there was a way to buy Copper Creek today for a 7 or 8 year contract, what $pp might that cost? Timing of the economy and how competitive WDW and other cash options will matter. But beyond that I think there will be takers for short contracts at the more popular resorts. BW and BC might do just fine… I’d have already taken many great trips on the contract and possibly still get an OK sum for the few years left if we needed to sell. In either direction don’t think it will be life changing. I’m ok with that.
Just to go along with what you said, even if it has a rather large drop in resale value during that last decade, like does that really matter to most people who own there and love staying there? The points are still perfectly good at booking you a room at BWV for the next 10 years. The cost could drop to 0 and it still wouldn’t matter if your goal is to stay there. Now if the plan is to try and resell it down the line then yeah probably should be considering another resort so it retains more of that value but if you’re planning to ride this thing off into the sunset then who cares?

BCV and BWV remain out two favorite resorts. However I would not buy them now, unless their price dropped to below 80 per point.

Everyone’s price tolerance/threshold will be a little different. There are plenty of folks on here that have recently bought above $100 and are happy with their purchase.

For me, I used the Swan as my benchmark bc that’s where we’ve stayed (and loved) and where I know I can almost always get a reasonable rate. Using that, anything $100 p/p and below was ‘acceptable’ …understanding, of course, that in certain years the Swan could end up being slightly cheaper. I’m comfortable with that risk. For others, such as PP, my price point might not be acceptable. That’s why it’s so important for you to do the calcs using your own inputs and weigh what matters most to you (proximity to parks, transportation, pools, quick service options, etc).

BCV and BWV remain out two favorite resorts. However I would not buy them now, unless their price dropped to below 80 per point.
I'd assume you'll have to wait another 2-3 years before we see this. Would 80 then be OK for you or will you be looking for 60 then? I wouldn't bet on a cliff and rather expect a 7-9 point drop per year (depending on the evolution of point rental prices and cash booking prices).

I agree. The earlier expiration was something we WANTED so we happily bought at a 2042 resort. I don't want to be on the hook for fees forever and I have no idea what life will look like in 18 years. I like having an easy exit strategy.
This!!

We've recently purchased (2) contracts with the 2042 date.
It just makes sense for US. We have no children and our jobs are pretty flexible to allows us to travel through-out the year.
The intention is to make Florida our home sooner rather than later, so the points will allows us to host family and friends as well.

The 2042 end date for a WDW resort is probably good for us too. I honestly have no idea if we'll want to continue going yearly/every other year after 2042. But I can definitely see wanting to do WDW less and DLR more as I get older.
I think I’m actually the opposite. I think as I get older I’ll want more resort time and other recreations and less park time so for me the greater Disney World is appealing…then again, who am I kidding? Catch me on BTM at 92, it really will be the wildest ride in the wilderness if you get hit with my teeth flying out!

This. If you want to buy it, ride it all the way to the ground.

giphy.gif
Dr. Strangelove,,,,,,Love me Slim Pickens.

The 2042 end date for a WDW resort is probably good for us too. I honestly have no idea if we'll want to continue going yearly/every other year after 2042. But I can definitely see wanting to do WDW less and DLR more as I get older.
This! I have two 2042 contracts, BWV and HHI, and am perfectly happy with them and that they will both expire in 2042. But I recently added on at VGC so I can keep going there. :)

I used to have a bunch of SSR points, and when I wanted to downsize my contracts and how many points I own, I thought long and hard about the longer expiration of SSR vs. the location of BWV. BWV won out and I sold the SSR.

I'm also perfectly happy doing short stays at the All-Star resorts, so that's my backup plan post 2042 if I continue to go to WDW. I'm not buying more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter