I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here ever actually book flights through the Chase travel portal and get the flights for the price they initially show for? I am trying to use points to book a flight for my husband from Japan to here for Christmas break. I keep seeing the price is about $1000 (this is the price for the same flight directly on the airline's page). I want to get my "points are worth 1.5x" value, though. When I choose the flights and come to the final page where I have to complete the booking, I ALWAYS get a popup that says "the price for this flight has changed" and the new price is like $500 higher. Oddly, that is exactly the "value" of my points. If I use my points and complete the booking, the amount left over that I have to pay is exactly the same as if I just booked via the airline's page and paid in full. Either way, I'm out $1000.

Why is this? This happens with any flight, on any airline. Is this just proof that these points really aren't worth what they claim? I have seen a similar thing happen with hotel bookings. I have almost booked a few times, but found MUCH lower prices directly through the hotel sites, so just booked that way and cashed out the points using the cash back option, for a 1:1 ratio.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this just how Chase travel portal makes sure they aren't actually losing money on all these points?
I booked our HI flights through the portal for the price listed. Seat assignments and carryon included (that may have been Hawaiian Air policy, not Chase).

However, I've been shopping for a car rental and 2 options popped up at a great price Friday night. I tried booking 4x and each time it said the car you selected is no longer available, but then would show again if I re-relan the search. 😡

I'm like three pages behind today. I've been reminded to look at trip insurance - was going to follow up on what I submitted for ILs for BIL getting sick, but checked informed delivery first and looks like there is a letter from them. Fingers crossed. Also finally DHs new ugly bonblah personal card. Not mine yet though.

Would you like me to enable? Maybe you won’t pull as good of an offer again? Would you use the triple dip for airline? They are all a bit more tricky nowadays? But this still get the saks credit......
I do love my gold card
I'm now thinking maybe I refer myself from DHs Plat to a Gold, then down the line refer him for a Gold from me and a Plat for me from him. That's not confusing, right? :crazy: But then maybe I could triple dip the airline credit... and the MSR would probably line up with our organic spend better.

Friendly Reminder: CHECK your point balances regularly!

One of the sheets on my churning tracking spreadsheet is devoted to monitoring my point balances. Know how many points you have - the only way you'll know some go missing is if you know what the number should be.

There are numerous instances I can cite where this comes in handy:
  • @Albort just today saying somebody drained his URs (now it's pretty easy to see if everything goes missing) BUT checking regularly means you'll catch this quickly!
  • @elgerber (I believe it was her) had somebody fraudulently use AA miles I think. It took awhile to resolve but she was on top of it.
  • @wendow had an issue with Southwest pulling the wrong amount of SW RR points when she made a flight change. At the time she was unsure of the exact correct amount and expressed that she wished she had an accurate spreadsheet at the time.
There's likely other instances that I'm totally forgetting. The key here is to have some mechanism to keep track!

I keep track of the number of points I have and the date I last updated that figure (so I can isolate when something changed). Additionally, I also track last activity and expiration in this sheet as well for programs that have expiration policies. I try to check this at a minimum once a month but it's not unheard of for me to check this weekly, because I'm kinda crazy with my points.

If you have 300,000 UR laying around that's $3,000+ in value. If you have 100,000+ SW RR points that's almost $1,500 in value. Just giving an example here to show that these points are worth something - verify the accuracy of your accounts and treat them like you would treat cash in your bank account. It's sad but points fraud is out there, make sure you are protecting yourself!

I've had my Hilton account hacked and drained for 400k points twice. After the second they gave me a new acct number

I've had my Hilton account hacked and drained for 400k points twice. After the second they gave me a new acct number
You know - when I was citing some examples I thought you had some sort of experience as well but I couldn't remember the details clearly enough. Thanks for mentioning it! I assume you got your points back?

Did you see this?

Oh,way to distract me from my question!!!! :rotfl2: I've been away from the boards for quite a while (but I've got a brand new nephew!!!) so a quick question- I got my CIP 'employee' cardtoday- went online to verify, I go thru DH's (main) acct,right? I tried and got a red letters saying that part of that site isn't working right now....

You know - when I was citing some examples I thought you had some sort of experience as well but I couldn't remember the details clearly enough. Thanks for mentioning it! I assume you got your points back?

I did. And they happened when I was trying to book rewards rooms within a few days. They froze my account and gifted me the points I needed to make my reservations. I got the remaining balances once they cleared review.

What is your favorite airline CC thinking about getting JetBlue. Should preface with Southwest doesn't service our airport and we don't like United.

New CIP for DH! I was getting a little nervous since he regularly gets instant approval and this took all weekend :P . 11K CL - his highest on a CIP. I did lower CIP#2 CL a week before applying to have some room. This makes his 5th Chase Biz card with 4 open - CIC, CIU, CIP#2 and CIP#3.

So yesterday I decided to attack the overgrown landscaping my house has. The ex neglected it the last year he lived there. I borrowed my mom's electric trimmer and all was good until I hit the hydrangea plant. I hacked that puppy to pieces and then felt a bite, then another, I started swatting and realized I was being swarmed and stung by bees like crazy! I started running and fell a few times. When I got into the house I was struggling to breathe and was shaking. My kids were worried, so the ex took me to the ER. I got steroid and benadryl. The swelling went down yesterday and today they are just itchy. Benadryl normally doesn't affect me. Today I'm loopy AF teaching, LOL.

In the process of running I managed to chip my apple watch and get several deep scratches. I paid less than $199 for this watch and to get a new screen will be $229! ***! Between that and my ER bill, I really should have hired this out for cheaper! I know my watch was bought w/ an Amex but I don't remember which one. I guess I could try and go back and look. I wonder if I can get it covered w/ the replacement policy?!?! Anyone know

I have given these as gifts a few times now and always tell people they are life changing! Love them so much!
I used my last ebags Amex offer to get my brother and SIL's Christmas gifts: packing cubes for them, their toddler, and the baby on the way! In 4 different colors. They are coming to our house for Christmas so I plan to ship their gift to them early.

I used my last ebags Amex offer to get my brother and SIL's Christmas gifts: packing cubes for them, their toddler, and the baby on the way! In 4 different colors. They are coming to our house for Christmas so I plan to ship their gift to them early.
I still have my amex offer. DD wants another Fjallraven backpack. I swear they used to sell them but no more:(

I just did it again. Price was $1063 roundtrip. Got to the next page and it shot up to $1928!!!

Maybe it's just international flights. Try this, book OKA (Okinawa, Naha airport) to LAX, 12/17 to 12/31. Filter out to Delta airlines and choose any flight that seems like it's around $1000. Then tell me what happens when you try and actually book it.

I have only ever transferred points to Southwest to book using points that way, so haven't used the portal in this way yet. But, this is happening with any airline I choose! Looking at Delta, American, or United. They all codeshare with either ANA or Japan Airlines for the flights between Okinawa and the mainland for the layover.

Out of curiosity, have you tried looking directly on Expedia to see if the same issue happens? I did just try to book those dates on Delta via Chase, the flights I picked were around $1200 and when I went to book it jumped to $1500.

I’d agree with others, definitely try calling in and walking through the booking with them.

Out of curiosity, have you tried looking directly on Expedia to see if the same issue happens? I did just try to book those dates on Delta via Chase, the flights I picked were around $1200 and when I went to book it jumped to $1500.

I’d agree with others, definitely try calling in and walking through the booking with them.

No, I have not tried Expedia. I'll do that now and see what happens. I just find it odd that I can book on Delta's website and this doesn't happen there, even though the flights are also "multiple airlines."

EDIT: It DOES also happen on Expedia. So, I'm guessing calling Chase won't help, if it's just the way the Expedia booking engine works with these international flights.

Maybe we will just pay oop for this flight and save the Chase points for our trip to Hawaii over spring break.

Last edited:
I'm like three pages behind today. I've been reminded to look at trip insurance - was going to follow up on what I submitted for ILs for BIL getting sick, but checked informed delivery first and looks like there is a letter from them. Fingers crossed. Also finally DHs new ugly bonblah personal card. Not mine yet though.

I'm now thinking maybe I refer myself from DHs Plat to a Gold, then down the line refer him for a Gold from me and a Plat for me from him. That's not confusing, right? :crazy: But then maybe I could triple dip the airline credit... and the MSR would probably line up with our organic spend better.
Makes perfect sense!!!!
Hopefully still good platinum offer then but I’m sure there will be

No, I have not tried Expedia. I'll do that now and see what happens. I just find it odd that I can book on Delta's website and this doesn't happen there, even though the flights are also "multiple airlines."

EDIT: It DOES also happen on Expedia. So, I'm guessing calling Chase won't help, if it's just the way the Expedia booking engine works with these international flights.

Maybe we will just pay oop for this flight and save the Chase points for our trip to Hawaii over spring break.

I would still trying calling Chase travel and explain what you’re seeing on Delta. They may be able to book directly for you (using their master credit card that then deducts URs from your account). That’s how they book things like cruises.

I would still trying calling Chase travel and explain what you’re seeing on Delta. They may be able to book directly for you (using their master credit card that then deducts URs from your account). That’s how they book things like cruises.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I'm not set on Delta. It can be either them, or American, or United. However, there is an Asiana flight that may work, and it's only $875 and the price stays consistent, so if DH is okay with a 5 hour layover in Seoul, I'll just book that one. I'd rather do it all online so I can see exactly what is being booked. I get nervous doing that kind of stuff over the phone. I like to be in full control of what I am booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter