I have never used a computer game

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
And here’s my question.

When I’m on a plane and don’t have use of internet, what games are possible to use on my phone or tablet?

I saw someone playing Solitaire and that looked like something I might like.

Thanks in advance!

(I actually paid for internet on a plane recently and it was barely usable.)

There are a lot of games that you can play without internet. WAY too many to list here. And there are many versions of various games from different creators. So even saying "solitaire " isn't enough.

You should be able to go to the respective online store and search "offline games". If there's something in particular you want, search for that, "offline solitaire" for example.

I very rarely pay for games and never without trying them out. If you like a game and want to know if you can use it without internet, have the app shutdown, go into airplane mode, then load the app.

There are a lot of games that you can play without internet. WAY too many to list here. And there are many versions of various games from different creators. So even saying "solitaire " isn't enough.

You should be able to go to the respective online store and search "offline games". If there's something in particular you want, search for that, "offline solitaire" for example.

I very rarely pay for games and never without trying them out. If you like a game and want to know if you can use it without internet, have the app shutdown, go into airplane mode, then load the app.
Thank you, Sam!

Depending on the plane and the flight, sometimes you can now play games on the screen in front of you. When I flew from Amsterdam to Boston a few weeks ago, my wife and I were playing trivia and solitaire. On another flight from Poland, I played chess. There are many offline games for the phone or tablet. I am able to use Chess.com's app to play Chess while flying for example.

What kind of games do you like?
Like I said, I’ve really never played any (computer games) so I’m not even sure.

I do know (at least I used to) and like card games.

I see people doing games with bouncy things - not sure how long I’d enjoy that.

I’m pretty good at finding hidden things and word search.

Not sure what else there is, that’s why I thought I’d get some ideas.

Go to the app store for your device and search for free games. The listings will usually tell you if you can play offline. You don’t know what is available until you look.

I am a Solitaire fan, and have a couple solitaire games on my devices. However, as an avid reader, I usually end up reading a book (or two or three) on my device when traveling.

Like I said, I’ve really never played any (computer games) so I’m not even sure.

I do know (at least I used to) and like card games.

I see people doing games with bouncy things - not sure how long I’d enjoy that.

I’m pretty good at finding hidden things and word search.

Not sure what else there is, that’s why I thought I’d get some ideas.

yes, I know you said that, but IRL, what kind of non-computer games do you play?

I'm not a big action game type player but I do love word games. I have regular solitaire on my phone and spider solitaire too. I also really like wordscapes, word search, and wordle(it's an app version, not the NYT daily wordle) There are probably lots of different versions of these games in your app store. I just download the app onto my phone and start playing. For solitaire, I pay for the no ad version, the other apps, I just watch the ad for 5 seconds. I play all of these games on the plane, so I don't think you would have an issue.

yes, I know you said that, but IRL, what kind of non-computer games do you play?
I don’t really play any games. :blush:

I mean, I grew up playing the classics, but I’m not really a game player. I usually read. But I did want to try out a couple of games.

But I did want to try out a couple of games.
Go to the app store on your phone or tablet. There are lots of card games, word search, find objects, and just about any game you can imagine. Pay attention to whether they're free to download and play, or a cost for the complete game.

Many will be "trial" versions for free, but you need to pay (probably a few dollars) if you want the "unlimited" version. Most will have "in app purchases" that will allow you to buy power ups and other bonuses.

I look at user ratings, and if its less than 4, I generally avoid.

You don't want games that require an internet connection to be active while you play. So, for instance, "Words with Friends" wouldn't work for this purpose. You need things that work offline.

Most solitaire games for phones/tablets have several variants in one app; so if you get bored with one option you can move to another. Do try to play a bit ahead of time; some "offline" games give you easy levels that will keep you busy for 20 minutes or so, then make it literally impossible to win any further levels without spending extra money to buy special tools or point bundles to get past the next level. That would frustrate the heck out of you if you purposely bought the game to stay entertained for several hours.

I find that games I pay a bit for upfront (usually less than $3) are much more satisfying in general than the so-called "free" versions are in the long run, because they don't bother you so much with ads and in-app purchases. I would advise buying either an iTunes or Google Play gift card to upload to buy if you want, so that your real credit card is not linked to the app store, since you're not likely to go out there often enough to monitor it well and make sure no one has hacked your account. I have an Android, and I bought a $20 Google Play gift card for this purpose 4 years ago; it still has $2 left on it. I have 3 phone games I tend to play whilst traveling, and one of them is solitaire; I don't have much interest in gaming beyond these few "kill a few minutes" types of games, and I won't buy "extra" value features in-app, either; if the basic version of the game doesn't keep my interest, I delete it.

Also, btw, if your public library offers Overdrive &/or HooplaDigital, you can download ebooks, audiobooks, and some movies & TV shows free of charge. Be sure to take along a comfortable set of headphones that work with your phone, and if necessary, a power bank to renew your charge.

You don't want games that require an internet connection to be active while you play. So, for instance, "Words with Friends" wouldn't work for this purpose. You need things that work offline.

Most solitaire games for phones/tablets have several variants in one app; so if you get bored with one option you can move to another. Do try to play a bit ahead of time; some "offline" games give you easy levels that will keep you busy for 20 minutes or so, then make it literally impossible to win any further levels without spending extra money to buy special tools or point bundles to get past the next level. That would frustrate the heck out of you if you purposely bought the game to stay entertained for several hours.

I find that games I pay a bit for upfront (usually less than $3) are much more satisfying in general than the so-called "free" versions are in the long run, because they don't bother you so much with ads and in-app purchases. I would advise buying either an iTunes or Google Play gift card to upload to buy if you want, so that your real credit card is not linked to the app store, since you're not likely to go out there often enough to monitor it well and make sure no one has hacked your account. I have an Android, and I bought a $20 Google Play gift card for this purpose 4 years ago; it still has $2 left on it. I have 3 phone games I tend to play whilst traveling, and one of them is solitaire; I don't have much interest in gaming beyond these few "kill a few minutes" types of games, and I won't buy "extra" value features in-app, either; if the basic version of the game doesn't keep my interest, I delete it.

Also, btw, if your public library offers Overdrive &/or HooplaDigital, you can download ebooks, audiobooks, and some movies & TV shows free of charge. Be sure to take along a comfortable set of headphones that work with your phone, and if necessary, a power bank to renew your charge.
Good suggestions! Thank you.

Homescapes is a fun and mindless game - making a row/column of the same color. I think as long as it is updated, you can play it offline. No ads, which is wonderful.

And there is always Candy Crush, but I prefer Homescapes.

I also will play Wordscapes on occasion. It’s making multiple words from a combination of letters. (When you are offline, you don’t have to watch ads, and it’s so much better!)

Helix Jump is short and also a quick distraction. It’s trying to get a marble to fall without hitting something on its way down. (Same as above with ads)

I downloaded June’s Journey for travel once - it’s a hidden picture game - but I found out that you can’t play it without an internet connection, so it’s not a great option for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter