I don't want to go

If plane tickets haven't been purchased, perhaps you could cancel....?

goldi

No, I wouldn't do that to my kids. Even if plane tickets weren't purchased. THEY are looking forward to the trip, just because Mom is a reluctant traveler this year is no reason to spoil everyone's fun. I wouldn't even do that to our friends, who are looking forward to having a native guide. This is a special treat for them - we invited them for a reason - because when they mentioned they were interested in going and I started giving them guidebooks and websites, their eyes sort of glazed over - this is the "just show me" way.

I need to suck it up and be a good sport.

I need to suck it up and be a good sport.

You should have seen what I went through just prior to my London trip last month. I had planned it for a year, talked about it, researched and then promptly put off all final planning come May. Everything seemed to be another omen of doom: the airline gave me flack about traveling with my powerchair; England chose this year to have the worst summer on record with cold & rain; the exchange rates skyrocketed; my dad started complaining he could walk distances there. When I finally discovered a major compatibility charging my powerchair on UK power systems (a week before I was set to leave), I was ready to cancel the whole thing and stay in my nice warm bed.

What did it matter that I've always wanted to go to England and had been talking about it for a year? It's a foreign country and I might be kidnapped then sold into white slavery!

In the end, I found solutions to my problems and couldn't blow the $2k on airfare so went. I promised myself I'd just see how it went and have an adventure. Sure enough the first three days the weather kept getting worse and accessibility issues did plague me. But my dad enjoyed the walking and we took it all as an adventure. I wrote daily travelogs home and found I had the best time of my life.

Sometimes you just need to treat a vacation as an adventure. Some are more harrowing than others, but all add spice to your life.

Good luck with it!

You should have seen what I went through just prior to my London trip last month. I had planned it for a year, talked about it, researched and then promptly put off all final planning come May. Everything seemed to be another omen of doom: the airline gave me flack about traveling with my powerchair; England chose this year to have the worst summer on record with cold & rain; the exchange rates skyrocketed; my dad started complaining he could walk distances there. When I finally discovered a major compatibility charging my powerchair on UK power systems (a week before I was set to leave), I was ready to cancel the whole thing and stay in my nice warm bed.

What did it matter that I've always wanted to go to England and had been talking about it for a year? It's a foreign country and I might be kidnapped then sold into white slavery!

In the end, I found solutions to my problems and couldn't blow the $2k on airfare so went. I promised myself I'd just see how it went and have an adventure. Sure enough the first three days the weather kept getting worse and accessibility issues did plague me. But my dad enjoyed the walking and we took it all as an adventure. I wrote daily travelogs home and found I had the best time of my life.

Sometimes you just need to treat a vacation as an adventure. Some are more harrowing than others, but all add spice to your life.

Good luck with it!

Nice,:goodvibes
Good luck Crisi, have fun!

Bobbi

Good luck with it!

Thanks - that's sort of where I am - without the portends of doom. But the overriding laziness of "oh, bother." I know that I'll have a fine time, but dragging myself on this trip is just - well, I'll be packing the night before and complaining about the flight.

(England is wonderful - I'd love to go back sometime - they almost never sell people into slavery there either).

Its just whining - and I can't whine to my husband or our guests, so I'll do it here.

We took SIL and her family to HHI last december. It was nothing short of a disater. After 2 days I wanted to come home. If we vacation with someone again it will only be at the WDW and all people involved can do their own thing if they want. But my DH is right you should not go with other people. Try to have a good trip. Hope your sister is doing well. :goodvibes

We took SIL and her family to HHI last december. It was nothing short of a disater. After 2 days I wanted to come home. If we vacation with someone again it will only be at the WDW and all people involved can do their own thing if they want. But my DH is right you should not go with other people. Try to have a good trip. Hope your sister is doing well. :goodvibes

We've taken other people and had a great time. We took my mother in law a few years ago and I was prepared for a complete disaster - it was really lovely. And we vacation with other friends fairly regularly and have a great time. I wouldn't be excited for this trip if it was just our family - it isn't the guests (though they are adding some stress).

I know that there are a lot of risks with traveling with people - and I have a list of people I wouldn't invite to go along under any circumstances - but I wouldn't have invited anyone on that list. Better friends would make this easier for me, but they haven't done anything that is making me think that having them along will create a disaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter