I don't understand why its such a big deal to take your children out of school..

One of the requirements of No Child Left Behind was that each state set up a sort of "grading" for the schools in that state. The grade becomes public and lists of schools that are failing the grade are published in newspapers, etc.
In many states, average daily attendance is one of the things that goes into that grade. So, when the lists of schools and their grades come out, the school can be publicly "branded" for having too many kids absent.

Some states may not be using attendance as one of their measures (although I think most are). Some may have more strict guidelines about attendance (like, if you are not physically there, no matter what the reason, you are absent). Some may be more lenient and make allowances for excuses (like some may not count absences if the it was arranged ahead of time and the child is making up the work before).

Someone asked about how days we would feel comfortable taking our kids out for. Here's my take on it. I can't imagine taking 10 days to go to WDW, but I would have no problem pulling the kids out of school for 3 weeks in Europe. Next year dd will be in K and I am planning on pulling her for 8 days for her father's 40th birthday trip/celebration. I don't think that it's a big deal in K, but I doubt I'd do it when she's in high school. I think it's a situation that every parent needs to evaluate and decide what's best for their child.

Erin :)

The last 2 times we went the kids missed 10 days and that is what they will be missing the next time also (Dec. 2006). At our school you can miss up to 10 days for family vacation (all excused). Our schools are pretty good, and the teachers feel family time is extremely important, and my kids are just asked to read, journal, and do a very little bit of homework while we are on vacation, which is a blessing. They are both willing to stay in for a few recess's if they need to catch up on anything when we get back but so far they never had to.

Lory

We took our DD out of school for 10 days lastyear to go to Hawaii. She was only in Kindergarden and although I got a form letter when I returned about excessive abscences, the school was fine with it. That said, she is in the gifted program and is far beyond her peers academically. This year we are taking her out for 5 days to go to WDW - this is my personal max for WDW as it's not really an educational trip. Yes, she will learn things as she does everywhere and the family time is important, but it is still an amusement park type vacation. Her 1st grade teacher already knows and asked if she could come :rotfl2: She will keep a journal and do whatever homework there is but I'm not worried about. I agree that she's mine and I can make these decisions for her.

On the other hand, I am more worried about my DS, 2, who will be missing 2 days of speech therapy. Depending on how he does in school, I might not be willing to take him out of school for vacations as easily. It depends on the child and the age and where they're going JMHO. As for Hawaii, my DD 6 (then 5) learned that about time zones, the earth's rotation and much more all because she wanted to understand why it could be 5 hours earlier in one state than at home. :love: Vacations are definetely educational

Jennifer, less than 100 days to WDW with DH, DD 6, DS 4 and DS 2 :cool1:

Our school system only allows 5 days for vacation days with a total of 14 days in the year before they send you a letter that they will take your child to court!!!!! This is my family not the school's! I have no problem taking my kids out of school to be with us. Who knows what the next minute of life will bring to any of us, life is way too short to let the school tell us when we can be with our families!!!!!!!! People need to get over it, wake-up and live. ::yes:: princess:

Mommy Poppins, Enjoy your reunion with your husband in the Spring! We too are planning a Disney World reunion and if will be our first ever Disney vacation. My husband is also currently deployed, thankfully for only 4 1/2 months. We'll be taking my kindergartner out of school a week early for Christmas break. I think family trumps school any day...and trust me I value education. I think whether or not and for how long you take your kids out depends on a lot of factors.

Hmmm while typing this Jennifer just said a lot of what I was going to say. It depends on the kids' and their age I think. My daughter will have no problem missing a week of kindergarten. But as kids get older and school more advanced it's harder to miss time. It still depends on the kids, if they get by easily or if they struggle, and the program they are in.

I think 2 weeks should be the max you should be able to take your child out of school at one time. However, if its 4 months later and the child gets the flu..I think they should be able to stay home with out penelty.
The parent has to be smart about it, I mean, if the student is doing poorly in school than i would put that into consideration. But I really do believe that family time is equally if not MORE important than whats going on in school. ANd not all familys can have their "family time" when its convienent for the school to have their vacation time.

momx2

I am also in Kentucky, but our school allows for 1 week of family vacation. The only way I can figure this, is that the school doesn't count prearranged days as unexcused. I'm not sure how they get around this, since attendance is computerized and I assume the school board has access to this information.

In any case, in our weekly school newsletter, it has been mentioned many times that every family is allowed 1 week of pre-scheduled family vacation.

Maybe if you talk directly to the principal, there would be some way around that rule.

We took our children out of school for vacations when they were young. Attendance wasn't much of an issue back then. With one in high school and one in jr high - it is much harder (could be held back because of attendance). Depends on the kid too. My DS never liked missing school - did not like the makeup work and complained for months! DD never minded making up work and never complained once.

and they either miss 5 or 10 school days. As long as it's pre-arranged, it's excused. My DD is a senior this year and DS is in 3rd. I've never had a problem taking them out and my kids have never had a problem making up their work. We are not taking DD out this year because she is taking some of her generals but if she weren't, and if she didn't have a school play that week, we would go. The precious memories we have can never be forgotten or replaced.

I am a third grade teacher, and I have no problem with students taking some days off for vacation. I would never suggest not going on a family vacation. A while ago there was a mom on here that took her children out of school 4 times a year for vacations, and they missed something like 4-6 weeks of school. That is just crazy! My daughter, who will be junior next year, will miss 4 days of school for our Disney vacation. I also have no problem using my personal days for vacationing. Family time is important.

:earboy2: :teacher: princess: pirate: :cheer2:

We were really lucky. My DD just missed 3 days of kindergarten. THe principal even came to see her today to see how her trip was. Our district is in an area where most families can not take a summer vacation ( farmers, railroad empolyees). Her teacher did not even send home any make up work saying she is fine. I am looking forward to going next October now.

I would never take my kids out of school for a trip to Disney World. The only reasons for missing school outside of illness/doctor's appts for my kids are for "once in a lifetime" opportunities such as a family wedding or if there is a death in the family.

School is important and that's something I want to stress to my kids - just like showing up for work will be when they are adults.

We have plenty of other times during the year to take our kids on vacation.

As for teachers taking vacation during the school year, I think that's negligent. If you decide to go into the ministry as a profession, you know you'll have to work on Christmas and Easter. Going into teaching, you also know that there are times when school is in session. It is completely unfair to all of the children in your class/classes to take time off during the school year - especially if you teach special needs children. A substitute just doesn't cut it, even if lesson plans are left. Those kids are depending upon you to be there and if they "can get along just fine without you", then IMO, perhaps you aren't that great of a teacher.

judoha said:
As for teachers taking vacation during the school year, I think that's negligent. If you decide to go into the ministry as a profession, you know you'll have to work on Christmas and Easter. Going into teaching, you also know that there are times when school is in session. It is completely unfair to all of the children in your class/classes to take time off during the school year - especially if you teach special needs children. A substitute just doesn't cut it, even if lesson plans are left. Those kids are depending upon you to be there and if they "can get along just fine without you", then IMO, perhaps you aren't that great of a teacher.

That's ridiculous. Do you know any teachers? Any teachers in the family? Please run that by them & see what they say. We are professionals & are allowed time off just like most any others. Yes, people going into the ministry know they will need to "work" Christmas & Easter, but teaching is 180 days & we are entitled to use our leave just like other professionals.

I wasn't going to respond to this at first, but that statement is ridiculous. Any other teachers out there?
Heck, even the President takes a vacation now & then.

I'm not a teacher, by my goodness, what a statement!!! Of course teachers should be allowed a vacation when they choose to take one. It may be somewhat disruptive for the class but everyone needs to adapt to change. I assume teachers have personal lives and families too! My husband is active duty military and except for extreme cases (deployment, times of war, etc) he's allowed vacation! Heck, actually even during times of war he can sometimes take a vacation!

I take my kids out of school for a week and their teachers don't have a problem with it. I talk to them ahead of time and get most of their work ahead of time too. We drive so they do it in the car on the way (21 hour drive) and then we make up the rest when we get back if there is any. I think if you are open and show you are supportive of them doing their work, it's ok. Plus, my kids are still in elementary school which is more lenient. When they get to jr high and high school I dont think we'll be doing this. I want to spend time with them while they want to do things with us. Know what I mean?

judoha said:
I would never take my kids out of school for a trip to Disney World. The only reasons for missing school outside of illness/doctor's appts for my kids are for "once in a lifetime" opportunities such as a family wedding or if there is a death in the family.

School is important and that's something I want to stress to my kids - just like showing up for work will be when they are adults.

We have plenty of other times during the year to take our kids on vacation.

I really take offense at this! I work extremely hard at my job and any teacher will tell you that they put in hours of overtime that many are not even aware of. I give 100% to my students. In the last 5 years, I have taken a total of 2 sick days, one when I was ill and one when my daughter was ill. I used 1 personal day last year, and have not taken any this year. I will use my 3 personal days next year when I go on vacation. My school does an excellent job finding substitutes, and I leave extremely well thought out lesson plans when I do have to leave. You do not know if I am a great teacher or not, but I know that the many children (and their parents)that have been in my care over the years will tell you that I am. Yes, I am giving myself that much credit. Just because I use my personal days to take a short vacation says nothing about my dedication. I will be waiting patiently for your apology!

Teacher03 said:
I really take offense at this! Just because I use my personal days to take a short vacation says nothing about my dedication. I will be waiting patiently for your apology!

Teacher03....I'm waiting with you while I grade today's test papers, write tomorrow's lesson plans, complete evaluations, prepare for next week's staff development inservice, etc...all on my own time at home. :) :)

Lisa loves Pooh said:
It's all dumb--most often it is tied to the money the schools receive..if your children are not there, they do not get credit finanically for that day for your student.

However--it is your student! Ultimately--you are their parent and not the school district.

I understand the reasons for the rules. However, I think they lost sight of the "good" reasons to have the rules and are more concerned with the money they will not get when your student is not there.

I agree. While I can see them emphasizing the need to be in school- I think it should basically be about the EDUCATION, not about the money. If your child falls behind because they went on vacation- well his grades will suffer. If your child is still doing fine and makes up all the work and is not behind (and doesn't cause the teacher to have to hold back the class for them to keep up) then what is the harm?
The "harm" now is money- it's all about money. I do NOT agree with the schools only receiving funding for how many students attend ON A DAILY BASIS EVEN! It's ridiculous. The school is still open all day (using utilities/etc.), the staff is all still there- but they get less money because Suzie is sick and David went to Disney World/etc. and they weren't there that day? It's the most ridiculous thing (to me atleast) for them to base funding on a DAILY attendance. I could see maybe basing it on attendance 80% of the year or something- so you get funding for the kids that are there the majority of the year or all year- (like not funding for kids not there but the first 6wks then move or something- not funding for them once they move!) but to do it on a daily basis is just ludricrous. I can't believe they do it that way! But they do.

I live in Texas and the laws are strict like someone mentioned on the first page of this thread. 3 days is truant- 6 unexcused absences in a QUARTER (not a 6wks!) and your child may be held back another year even if they have not fallen behind, know the work and kept up their grades. How is that about education? Hold them back purely on days missed because the school lost money those days? Nice.... real nice for the kid that has no control over how many days they are in school, huh? (excepting most highschool kids I guess- but for sure younger kids have absolutely not .0000000001% control over whether they are in school that day or not- not a bit of control over that matter!)

I have taken my kids out of school in the years past when they were in younger grades. At the schools they attended the principal left it up to the teacher and we just happened to have teachers that were very understanding about family time and when vacation time can be taken from work and most were not only excited about the kids going (and jokingly asking if they could go) but also realized the learning potential at WDW! It's educational too in many ways- to different degrees depending on what you do/make of it while there. I have one in 6th grade, one in 2nd grade and a very young (just turned 5) Kindergartener this year. So far the only time the older two have missed school is when we were on WDW trips- that's it! Not one sick day, no other days missed-yet if the teachers didn't agree to let them do the work ahead of time, during the trip or on their return from the trip... they would have been counted unexcused and on one trip it was 6 days so they could have both been held back a year! Ridiculous if that would have happened- not only perfect attendance except when missing for WDW trips (once a year until this year, a few days up to 6 days one time around Thanksgiving when they don't do much right before that anyway) but also are straight A students. Sounds ridiculous that they could have been held back for missing 6 days that year with straight A's the entire year huh? I think so!

However, we are not quite as quick to take our children out of school because our oldest is getting older, things are getting harder for both the oldest (even though they seem to be faring well so far and still making straight A's) and our youngest starting school so young (younger than our other two started Kindergarten due to their birthdays) -we didn't want anyone to get behind. Our cruise was planned over a year and a half in advance for Feb 2005 and we cancelled it late 2004 when we found out their school schedules changed that year. After years of having the same holidays/breaks they changed it drastically. Instead of a week off in Feb when that cruise was supposed to happen- they received no days off in Feb and only long weekends at other times where before they'd had an entire week (with 2 weekends on both ends of that week ofcourse) for those breaks. They would have missed more than a week of school the way the new schedule was- we cancelled it and booked it for June 2006 (needed to book it well in advance in order to not pay a fortune more for the trip than originally booked and we couldn't take a chance to book it during a school break considering the schedules might change AGAIN!) because of this and because our oldest was then (and now) out of elementary and thus had way more than just one teacher (to have to "get permission" from to do the trip). That means we'd have to have NINE different teachers (for her alone, not counting our son's main teacher & dual language/spanish teacher) agree for her to go on this trip and not be unexcused absence and allow her to make up all work (or do before the trip) and not fail any tests/work done during that week. We didn't want to risk taking the chance her grades would suffer due to 1 or more (possibly all) not agreeing to this and her getting all zeros all week long (papers, homework and tests). I'd know she'd know the material and not fall behind in that respect- but I also knew it would hurt her very much to get low grades when she'd always done so well (and still is) just because of the trip.

So now we decide not to take our kids out of school for vacations (at the present time), but it doesn't mean we're not EVER going to do so. We may... depends on the time, the situation and how our kids are doing in school- plus whether or not the teachers would agree. Regular trips to WDW are easier- we don't have to plan them SO far ahead. We can plan it during THAT school year so we can already see if the kids are still doing well in THAT grade/that year and also can see if the teachers are cooperative so they wouldn't end up getting failing grades and/or be held back a year just because of a trip! With cruises in order to save you have to plan WELL in advance -atleast a school year ahead with different teachers/etc... so we can't do those things for a cruies. We'll probably never plan a cruise during the school year because of this- but that doesn't mean we won't ever take them out of school again for a WDW trip or another vacation destination!

Our opinion is that it's up to the parents to decide whether or not it will work for their family and their children to take kids out of school for vacations. The proof of whether or not they made the right decision is how well the child does and if they fall behind afterwards or not.
It's not always wrong to take them out, and it's not always right either. It really just depends and only the parents of THAT child can know whether it's right for them or not, at that time. So others (like on this board and people in general) really shouldn't judge one way or the other. It's not always right, it's not always wrong.

Two years ago, we pulled our two sons out of school. One was in middle school and the other in high school. I spoke with teachers and administrators personally and they all felt that the experience of cruising with the family and visiting another country was a once in a lifetime experience. Our oldest son is now off at college and our younger son is doing great as a 10th grader, so obviously it didn't hurt anyone...I am a school teacher myself and though I am currently staying at home with our young daughters I fully support any family that wants to give their children the experience of a family vacation! Time with our kids is so precious and believe me short...it seems like yesterday when my 18 year-old was a 1st grader!

We were very responsible with the absence two years ago...our sons worked very hard before we left. They took tests that they would be missing. and turned in papers ahead of time. My oldest son even took his books with us to keep up with his AP World History class reading assignments. IMO if the family is willing to work with their kids to make sure they don't miss out, no harm done.

I have dealt with the kind of parents that believe teachers are overpaid and 9-5ers, not to mention that they shouldn't take vacations or personal time...they are referred to as PITA'S and talked about in the lunch room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter