• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I ate at WDW w/o the Dining Plan and lived to tell about it! - LONG

Paying for the DP would be more expensive for us as well. Also, when we visited this past week, we changed our touring plans a couple of times depending on what we got done, what we wanted to do over again, what was canceled for weather, etc. Whenever I tried to book a TS meal in a park at a "reasonable" time, nothing was available. We even went to one TS meal kind of out-of-the-way because I had made the reservations 3 months ago and couldn't rebook a decent hour on a day that would fit better after we made some changes in our plan.

The point I'm getting at is that the DP does not make for flexible touring plans during the busy season. :goodvibes

When I booked our trip for last Sept, I was a Disney "virgin"...I mean, I had been to WDW when I was a child and teen and had been to Disneyland as an adult, but it was my first trip as an adult, with my children and husband. I chose the dinning plan because I like all-inclusive things. I knew our meals were paid for in advance and I didn't have to worry...of course I hadn't been to this board until after I booked my trip..bless my heart, I didn't even know what an ADR was!!!
But we went and ate well! My kids are skinny-minnies but DH and I like to eat. We were not obsessive about "getting the most" for our money or acing the system the way some posters seem to be (saving credits so they can eat at signature places/paying out of pocket for kids meals, etc). We just made our ADR's based on where we wanted to go...we did Prime Time, Ohana, LeCellier,
Hoop De Doo, CRT, and some good CS's places like Tusker House and Caseys. We also did Chef Mickeys. Our total was something like $1070 and we were there for 7 nights. We are not big "snackers", but we did get Mickey bars and popcorn, I recall, plus I paid out of pocket for stuff like Dole Whips and that YUMMY carmel corn at Sleepy Hollow snacks.

This year we are doing the plan again, because it is easy for us. We are doing: Sci-Fi, Brown Derby, Garden Grill, Le Cellier, Liberty Tree and 1900 Park Faire. Again, not obsessive about our choices and YES, heavy on the character meals, which we love!!! Food is about the last thing we think about on vacation, we just want to have fun and chill out! But I see your point with how much money you saved by not doing the plan. It just depends on how you do things.

Last summer when the plan was not available to DVC we used the DDE and were pleased with the savings. In December we did a package when travelling with extended family for a quick Christmas trip--I just threw in the DDP so I wouldn't have anything to worry about. I only spent like $80 OOP for food and snacks not covered (6 nights at ASMo, so I had to buy some breakfasts), My DDE was still good so I used that to save a few cents here and there and also for any alcohol. For my family and the way that we eat, the DDP is a better choice, since I have the choice. As far as the DDE I'd have to spend $300 on dining now before I see any actual savings and the DDE when used for TS for us only saved us the tip anyway. The DDE couldnt' be used at theme park CS so that was also a draw back since we are not really into leaving the park to save a few $$ on CS.
I'm glad you got what worked for you, and I am glad that I have a choice to do DDP while at DVC.

Here is my breakdown from last year.

Day 1
4 counter services
4 snacks
4 full meals at rest. in Italy

Day 2
4 counter services
4 snacks
4 full meals at 50's PT

Day 3
4 counter services
4 snacks
4 full meals at The Yachtsman (2 credits each)

Day 4
4 counter meals
4 snacks
4 full meals at Cindys Royal Table

Day 5
4 counter meals
4 snacks
4 full meals at Mama Melrose

Day 6
4 counter meals
4 snacks
4 full meals at LeCellier

Day 7
4 counter meals
4 snacks
4 full meals at Brown Derby (2 credits each)

Day 8
4 counter meals
4 snacks
4 full meals at LeCellier

Day 9
4 counter meals
4 snacks
0 dinner credits left

Day 10
4 counter meals
4 snacks
0 dinner credits left

Bottom line--4 people, 10 nights at Pop, 10 day park hoppers = $1450.

Works for me! :cool1:

I think that this post is great because it really spells out the bad aspects of the dining plan. It is a great choice for a lot of people but there are a lot of people who wouldn't do well to get it. I am probably the opposite type of diner compared to the OP. I have two children that are not big into sitting in restaurants so I am mainly doing buffets and CS meals. Me and DH aren't huge eaters either and we will most likely share a lot of meals. The DDP is just not a good fit and really takes a lot of freedom away. I'd really hate to spend my entire vacation thinking about how to get my money's worth. I just want to eat some nice meals and enjoy them and not worry about it.

DizGeek said:
Here is my breakdown from last year.

Bottom line--4 people, 10 nights at Pop, 10 day park hoppers = $1450.

Works for me! :cool1:
10 nights for my family of 4 would cost $1520 just for the DDP portion of the trip ($38*4*10)... :confused3

drogerstn said:
10 nights for my family of 4 would cost $1520 just for the DDP portion of the trip ($38*4*10)... :confused3

Maybe some of his family are kids? I don't know...

Oops...I didnt mention that I got the "free" plan?

Best vacation deal I ever got.

Regardless, my wife and I figure we'll do it even if we have to pay. To each his own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter