• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I ate at WDW w/o the Dining Plan and lived to tell about it! - LONG

blueroses

always planning the next trip
Here is a breakdown of my 5-night trip last week with my husband. I am an AP holder and have the DDE card. We did NOT use the DDP. We came out ahead vs. DDP with our dining choices, which were admittedly not optimized for the dining plan.
We had our dinners at:
Le Cellier (1 TS)
Brown Derby (2 TS)
Artist Point (2 TS)
CRT (2 TS)
CA Grill (2 TS)

For those who don't want all the details, here is the summary:
What we spent:
$733.45 plus DDE card @65
= $798.45

DDP + OOP would have been
= $850.36 w/ 1 CS remaining

Funniest part:
with neither DDP nor DDE
= $849.03

So even w/o DDE we would have saved $1.33! :rotfl2:

Anal retentive version to follow....

The rules for eating were just as they are at home or on any other vacation:
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want
and stop when you're full

Following these rules, did I save money? Let's find out.

Day One
Arrive at Wilderness Lodge 9am on the red-eye from Seattle. Room's not ready yet, but we're hungry. How about Whispering Canyon?

if we were on the Dining Plan - should we do that? We already have a TS scheduled at Le Cellier tonight, what if we run out of credits?

but we're not on the DP - come and get it!

After the initial shock of Disney coffee, we settle down to oatmeal and a fruit plate for me(fruit plate was big enough to share - excellent value at $6) and a two-egg combo w/ extra side of toast for mr. blueroses.
TOTAL (inc. tip):$24.38
Saved w/DDE: $4.55
Not covered under DDP: full non-discounted cost of meal since it's a TS - $28.93

That should tide us over until dinner. Head to Epcot. Walk towards Canada. OMG what's that smell?! Roasted almonds? We can have a little snack before dinner.

if we were on the Dining Plan - but that's not a covered snack! And it will make us less hungry for dinner so we won't get our money's worth at Le Cellier?

but we're not on the DP - sorry, can't talk, my mouth is full of yummy almonds.
TOTAL: $3.50
Not covered under DDP: $3.50

Which finally brings us to Le Cellier. Our server, Chris from Winnepeg, asks for our drink orders. Mr. blueroses and I don't drink sodas with meals (or much at all really), we prefer a bottle of sparkling water.

if we were on the Dining Plan - should we do that? Sodas are covered, but not this.

but we're not on the DP - We drink 2 bottles of San Pellegrino (the big ones) over the course of the meal at a total of $13.

Meal-
blueroses - tomato stack and mushroom filet
mr. blueroses - cheese soup and prime rib

Dessert?
if we were on the Dining Plan - should we do that? It's covered but that was a pretty big meal. I'm not all that hungry and there's dessert all week.

but we're not on the DP - no thanks, Chris, just the check please.

TOTAL (inc. tip): $79.05
Saved w/ DDE: $15.19
What wouldn't have been covered on DDP: 2 Pellegrinos - $13

Later that night...
Wilderness Merchantile
2 Mickey rice crispie treats @ $2.50 each
One gallon of spring water for our in-room H2O needs - $2.50
Total $7.50
The treats would have been covered under the DDP, but not the water.

At the end of the day:
Total spent: $114.43
Total saved from DDE: 19.74
What we would have spent using DDP:
2 adults - $76
OOP - $47.93
total: $123.93

Hypothetical credits used/remaining:
TS - 2/8
CS - 0/10
Snack - 2/8

Day 2.
Here's a review of the rules.
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want

We're going to MK today. I'd like a decent cup of coffee to start the day.
Before leaving WL I have some water from our gallon jug because hydration is important.
Stop at the Poly coffee shop on the way to MK because caffeine is also important.
Meal-
blueroses - large coffee and a banana
mr. blueroses - regular coffee

if we were on the Dining Plan - are these "snacks?" should we use our credits from them? what if we want a more expensive snack later?

but we're not on the Dining Plan - thank God it's not Nescafe

TOTAL: $5.77
Not covered under DDP - let's say the large coffee and banana were one snack each, that leaves the regular coffee at $1.99

This is enough to tide us over until our early lunch at Cosmic Rays
Meal-
blueroses - veggie wrap and a large bottled water, please
mr. blueroses - I'll get in this other line where my wife can't see me and get a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a large bottled water.

if we were on the Dining Plan - yep, would have been covered

but we're not on the Dining Plan - that'll be cash,, and it's not discounted for DDE

TOTAL: $18.14
Not covered under DDP - $0

MK is getting crowded and we have a 7:00 ADR at Brown Derby, so let's head there.

Time for the afternoon coffee break (so we drink a lot of coffee, we're from Seattle, what do you expect?).
Writer's Stop
Meal-
blueroses - regular coffee and a cookie to share
mr. blueroses - grande latte

TOTAL: $7.39
Not covered under DDP: $7.39

Dinner - Brown Derby
Meal-
blueroses - Field Greens Salad and tofu noodle bowl
mr. blueroses - onion soup and rotisserie chicken

Beverages - 2 bottles of Pellegrino split during the meal

Dessert -
blueroses - ice cream drink from the bar
mr. blueroses - grapefruit cake and coffee

if we were on the Dining Plan - omg you can't order the tofu bowl!!! that's the least expensive entree on the menu and this is a 2 TS RESTAURANT - are you crazy?!! you'll never get your money's worth doing that! and the chicken?! that's the SECOND CHEAPEST item?!!! What? A cocktail for dessert?!! That's not covered either!!! Have you taken leave of your senses?

but we're not on the Dining Plan - ice cream and Bailey's? Yum. Thanks, Ryan. Here's my DDE card.

TOTAL (inc. tip): $83.82
Saved w/ DDE: $15.82
Not covered under DDP: 2 Pellegrinos ($11 - hey, that's cheaper than Le Cellier - how did that happen) and cocktail ($8.75) - $19.75 plus tax

At the end of the day:
Total spent: 115.12
Total saved from DDE: 15.82
2 adults - $76 (but we're down 2 TS for BD)
OOP - 29.13
total - $105.13

TS - 6/4
CS - 2/8
Snack - 4/6

Welcome to Day Three!
We all know the rules by now!
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want

Today we are starting the day with the Segway tour of Epcot.
Let's catch some breakfast at Roaring Fork before we leave for the park.

Meal-
blueroses - coffee and a banana
mr. blueroses - coffee and a croissant sandwich

if we were on the Dining Plan - you're only getting a banana? that's not a good use of your CS credit.

but we're not on the Dining Plan - we have to get our butts to Epcot in time for the tour. this is all we have time for.

TOTAL: $11.04
Not covered under DDP: $0

Lunch - Garden Grill (this was a mistake for more than one reason)
Meal - 2 adult lunch platters

if we were on the Dining Plan - another TS? But you're eating at Artist Point tonight and that covers all your TS credits for the trip.

but we're not on the Dining Plan - it's nice to sit down and have someone bring us our food after standing for the duration of the tour.

TOTAL (inc. tip): 43.77
Saved w/ DDE: $8.40
Not covered under DDP - $52.17. We're using our last TS credits at AP tonight

Hey let's ride Mission Space! It's been more than 1.5 hours since lunch. It'll be fine! I don't get motion sickness. I rode this 3 times in a row last time! Let's go. And we all know where this is going....

Hey I'm feeling kind of woozy. Maybe I should try the Beverly - some bubbles should settle my stomach.

Cut back to Sunshine Seasons.
Snack-
2 large bottles of water
hey, where'd that candy bar come from?
TOTAL: $5.59
Not covered under DDP - $1.70 (candy bar)

Perhaps we should go back to WL for a bit. Our AP ADR isn't until 8:30 so we have some time.
Yes, I'm feeling better, thanks.

Afternoon coffee for mr. blueroses - $2.02
Not covered under DDP - $2.02

That nap really helped, let's go to DTD before dinner!
Hey it's Goofy's Candy shop!
We munched on this for the rest of the trip
TOTAL: $9.62
Not covered under DDP: $9.62

Finally dinner time!
Meal:
blueroses - Chef selection (salad, soup, buffalo steak, cobbler for dessert - yeah, it's a lot of food, but technically I didn't have much lunch :) ), wine flight, coffee with dessert
mr. blueroses - soup, pork chop, coffee two ways for dessert, coffee with dessert
beverages - split 2 bottles Pellegrino with dinner

TOTAL (inc. tip): 131.15
Saved w/ DDE: 25.08
Not covered under DDP: $31 plus tax - Pellegrino ($13) and wine ($18)

And finally it's time to buy another gallon of water for the room
TOTAL: $2.50

At the end of the day:
Total spent: 205.69
Total saved from DDE: 33.48
2 adults - $76 (but we're down 2 TS for AP)
OOP - 99.01
total - $175.01

TS - 10/0
CS - 3/7
Snack - 6/4

Day Four
The day mr. blueroses sleeps in and blueroses hits AK
As a review, here are the rules:
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want

Breakfast -
blueroses - who has time for breakfast? I need to get in line for EE
mr. blueroses - zzzzzzz snore zzzzz snore zzzzzzz

Post EE pick me up
Chai from the Annapour Tea Company
TOTAL: $4
Not covered under DDP: $4 (they don't take any DDP here)

Lunch-
blueroses - Tusker House - veggie wrap and large bottled water
TOTAL: 7.81
Total saved w/ DDE: 1.86

mr. blueroses - Roaring Fork - cheeseburger and coffee (coffee?!! with a cheeseburger?)
TOTAL: 8.60

Then mr. blueroses headed to DTD while I was still at AK riding EE for a 2nd time
while he was there he had a Powerade
TOTAL: 2.50
Not covered under DDP: 2.50

Time to meet back up. Let's meet at the Swan then head to Epcot to ride Soarin' since that didn't work out yesterday. Then take the monorail for MK for dinner at the castle.

Swan Lobby Court:
one mocha, one coffee, one bottle water
TOTAL: 9.85 plus whatever we tipped, let's say $2
Not covered under DDP: 11.85

Dinner:
CRT - 2 adult meals
TOTAL (inc. tip): $86
Saved with DDE: $20
Not covered by DDP: $106 since we would be out of TS credits by now

At the end of the day:
Total spent: 120.76
Total saved from DDE: 21.86
2 adults - $76 (but we're out of TS credits now)
OOP - 124.35
total - 200.35

TS - 10/0
CS - 5/5
Snack - 6/4

Day 5 - our last full day here
Say it with me now:
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want

Today I am going on the Backstage Magic Tour while mr. blueroses fulfills his wish of sleeping in then getting a turkey leg and McDs fries at Frontierland.

Breakfast:
blueroses - coffee and a banana
mr. blueroses - zzzzzzzzzzzz
TOTAL: 3.07
Not covered by DDP: $0 (1 CS)

Lunch:
blueroses - covered under the tour. It was at Mama Melrose
mr. blueroses - turkey leg (5.75), large bottle water ($2), fries ($2.12)
TOTAL: 9.87
Not covered under DDP: $7.87 (everything but the water)

Mid afternoon pick me up:
blueroses: coffee and a cookie before the 3pm parade (2 Snacks)
TOTAL: 3.50
Not covered by DDP: $0 (I think they are snacks)
mr. blueroses: Dole Whip - 3.72
Not covered by DDP - $3.72

Afternoon coffee at Roaring Fork:
TOTAL: 2.02 (1 CS)
Not covered by DDP $0

Dinner: CA Grill
Meal:
blueroses - beet salad, pumpkin ravioli, cheesecake w/ coffee
mr. blueroses - flatbread, filet, molten chocolate cake w/coffee
Beverages: 2 Pellegrinos, one cocktail before dinner, club soda before dinner

TOTAL:
bar bill (inc. tip): 11 (saved $2 with DDE)
meal: $118.92 (saved 22.68 with DDE)
Not covered by DDP: $154.60 (no TS credits left now)

At the end of the day:
Total spent: 152.10
Total saved from DDE: 24.68
2 adults - $76 (but we're out of TS credits now)
OOP - 166.19
total - 242.19

TS - 10/0
CS -6/4
Snack -10/0

Day 6 - the day we go home
You know the drill -
eat when you want
eat where you want
eat what you want
eat as much as you want

AM coffee:
blueroses: 2.02
mr. blueroses: zzzzzzzzzzzzz

TOTAL: 2.02
Not covered by DDP $0 (I'll use a CS on it since I'm out of snack credits)

Lunch at WS
blueroses: veggie platter w/ large bottle water at Morocco
TOTAL: $11.59
Not covered by DDP $0
mr. blueroses: combination plate and a conga drink
TOTAL: 11.74
Not covered by DDP: $3.75 (conga drink)

Then we had to leave for the airport.

At the end of the day:
Total spent: $25.35
2 adults - 0 - last day here
OOP - 3.75
total - 3.75

TS - 10/0
CS 9/1
Snack -10/0

After reading you opinion of the ddp in another thread, i saw the link which led me here.

The main problem with the DDP for you is that your choices would never maximize the DDP. The actual cost of the ddp for 5 days is $380. Your out of pocket expenses of $466.62 makes the plan a bad deal for you.

Most people who choose to use the ddp will follow the plan and not have anywhere near the out of pocket you did.

You could have chosen from a large number of great 1TS restaurants and eaten the same choices of food that your 2TS restaurants serve. But to each his own.

So, in a nutshell, if you don't want to follow what the plan allows you to do it won't be cost effective.

I noticed your post was from early April before the snack changes, but many of the snacks you listed WOULD be covered under the plan now (almonds, Dole Whips, etc.) Obviously, the dining plan would not have been a good choice for your family and you enjoyed yourself! However, for many families (like mine), the dining plan is absolutely the best choice as:

1. We don't do 2TS restaurants (no babysitter!)

2. We enjoy having the appetizer and desserts which we usually wouldn't order

3. We don't qualify for the DDE so we would not have that discount

4. We drink sodas, smoothies, milk, water, or milkshakes with our meals (all included on the DDP)

5. We enjoy not having to worry about "sticking to a budget" as it's already pre-paid

6. Our children usually share with us at non-buffet meals, which allows an "extra" breakfast or two

hansel1 said:
After reading you opinion of the ddp in another thread, i saw the link which led me here.

The main problem with the DDP for you is that your choices would never maximize the DDP. The actual cost of the ddp for 5 days is $380. Your out of pocket expenses of $466.62 makes the plan a bad deal for you.

Most people who choose to use the ddp will follow the plan and not have anywhere near the out of pocket you did.

You could have chosen from a large number of great 1TS restaurants and eaten the same choices of food that your 2TS restaurants serve. But to each his own.

So, in a nutshell, if you don't want to follow what the plan allows you to do it won't be cost effective.

But combining the DDP and the DDE may make it worth it for someone who would dine like the OP - depending on several factors. Since she wrote her dining experiences, snack credits have been greatly extended. And turkey legs, for instance, can be used as a CS option now. One could go to a couple 2TS restaurants and pay OOP for the rest. I would imagine that combining the 2 options for dining would make it worth it but I don't feel like really analyzing her plan to see! LOL

I agree that everyone has to analyze their own situation.

I'm getting the dining plan because we are staying on rented points and a trade through II. I have analyzed our situation and calculated that the dining plan is a good deal for us. I do have DDE card and will use that in conjunction with the dining plan. Since I will be traveling with young children we don't have any 2 TS meals planned. We also plan on sharing meals. With 1 adult a 14, 6 & 3 year old, we will always be sharing 2 meals. That is more than enough food. We will however dine at some character meals.

Even though I definitely could come out cheaper without the dining plan, and just using DDE, I would not get to eat at as many different restaurants and try different things.

I think that it's great that the OP figured out what worked best for her, but once again every situation is different.

that there is not one right decision for everyone. I am glad that you came out ahead not using the dining plan but that you qualify for the DDE and it works for your family. It would not work for mine - I know that and accept that and don't feel the need to compare the little it would save me (compared to the dining plan) or the stress it would cause my family (I know even with the discount everyone would be watching every dollar spent on meals and we would end up doing more counter service because of lower cost and we don't drink alcohol and are happy with pop at meals).

To each his own.

Why is San Pelegrino not covered as a drink? I would think at least the individual sized bottled would count. :confused3

punkin said:
Why is San Pelegrino not covered as a drink? I would think at least the individual sized bottled would count. :confused3

Yea, I thought any NON alcoholic drink was covered (except some restaurants won't let you get milk shakes, which I can understand).

And the nuts, I believe would be covered now.

But what is awesome for us is that we can go during FREE dining and not have to pay anything. I just couln't pass this up!

Glad you did what was right for you. :)

Mom of Sleepy said:
Yea, I thought any NON alcoholic drink was covered (except some restaurants won't let you get milk shakes, which I can understand).

And the nuts, I believe would be covered now.

But what is awesome for us is that we can go during FREE dining and not have to pay anything. I just couln't pass this up!

Glad you did what was right for you. :)

I'm not sure I would pay for it either, but FREE dining is a no brainer (if you are staying at a value resort and your discount would be insignificant anyway)

punkin said:
I'm not sure I would pay for it either, but FREE dining is a no brainer (if you are staying at a value resort and your discount would be insignificant anyway)

I too am not sure if I would pay out of pocket for the DDP. It doesn't fit our needs well. We spend less usually but don't order appetizers or dessert, nothing fance for me.

If I was a 2 TS credit person I also think I would have to analyze it. It goes to show it pays to do the math.

jessica52877 said:
I too am not sure if I would pay out of pocket for the DDP. It doesn't fit our needs well. We spend less usually but don't order appetizers or dessert, nothing fance for me.

If I was a 2 TS credit person I also think I would have to analyze it. It goes to show it pays to do the math.

It doesn't work for us for another reason. We almost never eat counter service and we like big TS breakfasts. I have been trying to plan out our days and ADRs but it is very difficult because this type of eating is not what we usually do.

I've just called and upgraded to the DP. While working our budget for our trip in DEC it just seems easier to go ahead and pay for the meals in advance. This way there are no surprises and we can look at the menu without looking at the prices because its already paid for.

The main problem with the DDP for you is that your choices would never maximize the DDP.
But this, in a nutshell, is precisely why we've never gotten the plan, and never missed it. We generally don't eat one TS per day. Several of our TSes are often at "less expensive" places, because that's where we want to eat. We almost never order appetizers, and when we do we get one or two for the table. We almost never eat dessert at lunch. We often drink water instead of soft drinks for meals to stay hydrated. We've never actually managed to stick to an entire schedule for any visit yet---there are always last minute changes for one reason or another. Without DDP, we just try to get ADRs in the new park if we can, and if we can't, it's no big deal to get a CS meal. With DDP, I'd be "wasting" a credit if I did this, and so wouldn't feel as flexible.

The short version: if we are left to our own devices, we spend less than we would spend buying the DDP, and we do what we want, when we want. Maybe we're unusual. I suspect that the WDW accountants are clever, though, and that my family isn't so unusual after all. Granted, with the plan we would eat like royalty, but we eat pretty well anyway.

I'm really glad it works out for everyone else, but it doesn't seem to be a good deal for me. As far as I can tell, for some people they really save money over what they would spend, for others they get to eat better for not too much more money, and a small minority like it because if you work it, you can feel like you are saving a bunch of money over list price of the meals.

A great illustration of a situation where the dining plan isn't your best option. And quite comforting to me since we likely won't be doing the dining plan in January...its not going to be a good option for my parents who are staying with us. I think the dining plan is turning out to involve a lot more planning than I'd normally do. Plus sometimes the best time for us to have a big meal is lunch...not optimal on the dining plan.

That said we have the dining plan for 8 days in September and plan to enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter