Hurricanes and DCL

I guess this is the reason dcl likes to give us cheaper September cruise prices as u just don't no what your doing

I guess this is the reason dcl likes to give us cheaper September cruise prices as u just don't no what your doing

It has more to do with demand. Kids back in school = less passenger demand. Not a lot of parents will pull their kids out of school for a week, and many jobs just simply can't accommodate this time either.

Not to mention sports and other responsibilities that go along with school and fall. The first of September hits the vacation/tourism industry like a hammer, $2000 less for a cruise keeps the rooms full,

Some of us are willing to take the kids out of school and move schedules around for that, if it was the same price I wouldn't bother.

Apparently the Fantasy is adjusting ports this week. According to a DIS update, Jamaica and Cozumel are flip flopped. Makes sense to me.

Good luck to all sailing this week and next. Happy sailing.:boat:

:( doesn't look promising for us going out on the Dream friday. Odds of Disney cancelling-any guesses? Also, would they typically wait until embarkation to announce if it's cancelled?

Attachments

• IMG_7365.PNG
    IMG_7365.PNG
    82.8 KB · Views: 19
:( doesn't look promising for us going out on the Dream friday. Odds of Disney cancelling-any guesses? Also, would they typically wait until embarkation to announce if it's cancelled?
Cancelling? Very very low. There is a ton of uncertainty past Wednesday even as the more reliable models are starting to agree. It also depends on where it goes after Friday too. Does it keep moving inland? Does it swing back out to the Atlantic? How much damage did it cause in the Bahamas? If it continues to the west they could go straight east and potentially make CC if the damage was minimal (the CC team is fantastic at getting things back up and running quickly). They could make it a cruise to nowhere and hang out in the Atlantic far from the storm. They would have to pay a fine for not stopping in a foreign port but it would be cheaper than cancelling. There are a lot of options and unless it is unsafe to dock at Canaveral they will be sailing.

Cruise lines have their own meteorologists and backup plans and a whole team watching these things and making decisions. They are going to do everything they can to not cancel a sailing.

Cancelling? Very very low. There is a ton of uncertainty past Wednesday even as the more reliable models are starting to agree. It also depends on where it goes after Friday too. Does it keep moving inland? Does it swing back out to the Atlantic? How much damage did it cause in the Bahamas? If it continues to the west they could go straight east and potentially make CC if the damage was minimal (the CC team is fantastic at getting things back up and running quickly). They could make it a cruise to nowhere and hang out in the Atlantic far from the storm. They would have to pay a fine for not stopping in a foreign port but it would be cheaper than cancelling. There are a lot of options and unless it is unsafe to dock at Canaveral they will be sailing.

Cruise lines have their own meteorologists and backup plans and a whole team watching these things and making decisions. They are going to do everything they can to not cancel a sailing.

It will sail, Irma won't be close enough to keep a ship in dock even on Saturday. Where they go is the question. Nearly every model shows it out of the Nassau area by Sunday, so I'd guess worst case a quick stop in Nassau if for no other reason than to comply with law.

I don't see CC unless Irma takes a hard right by We'd night.

With No impact or danger to Port Canaveral? No chance of cancel. Then only reason they cancelled past cruises were closed/unsafe ports running a cruise into another without hope of salvaging the cruise (I.e. The three day cancelled last year because PC was closed and Dream had to stay out an extra day.

Bet your life if they were in port they'd have boarded..., they may not have gone anywhere for a day, but they'd handle it.

If PC were to get enough of Irma to affect ability to sail, it would be late Sat night to Sunday (Fantasy would be out of port before any TS winds get there). PC should be completely clear in any scenario bu Sunday night and Dream will be back Monday morning.

Thank you and Wow ... I figured a ship would be able to outrun a storm ... I guess they were just too close for comfort and got caught on the wrong side of a 'wobble'?

Did DCL officially come out and say that they were changing their processes and are now staying further away perhaps?

Sandy had an enormous footprint...
much larger than normal and much larger than was predicted...

Watching and waiting.....leave for WDW on 9/7, on the fantasy 9/9. Pretty sure that if we get out, we won't be going to the eastern Caribbean.

Irma still strengthening. Recon data shows pressure has dropped again, expect Cat 4 today. This storm is no joke. Track keeps changing.

Just trying to hurry up and wait and see what DCL does for those of us leaving on 09/08.

Good thing is we are already at WDW since this past Saturday so we have something to pass the time with :rolleyes1

Mother Nature is so annoying for a person with obsessive compulsive disorder like myself - I love planning - that is probably why I love Disney vacations. This storm drives me crazy!! Should we fly down earlier? We are supposed to fly on Friday, cruise on Fantasy on Saturday. But Disney won't say anything until at least Thursday, so we are left in limbo. I know my concerns are not as bad as those in the path of the storm; but the uncertainty sure makes for a crappy pre-week vacation which is usually my favorite time!

Mother Nature is so annoying for a person with obsessive compulsive disorder like myself - I love planning - that is probably why I love Disney vacations. This storm drives me crazy!! Should we fly down earlier? We are supposed to fly on Friday, cruise on Fantasy on Saturday. But Disney won't say anything until at least Thursday, so we are left in limbo. I know my concerns are not as bad as those in the path of the storm; but the uncertainty sure makes for a crappy pre-week vacation which is usually my favorite time!

Can the future, cruising during hurricane season might not be the best option for someone with OCD... :)

We fly in Friday as well. Checking out the main forecast from the National Hurricane Center is your best bet to utilize for watching over the next few days for the path and timing. Since Saturday night the models have continued to shift west and also show a slower path through. Right now they have Irma just off the eastern edge of Cuba in the early am of Saturday. The shifts will continue to happen but I don't see reason to do anything different ahead of 9/9.

The current Fantasy cruise looks like they may be ok, just wondering what they heck we may do after board 9/9. Several people have mentioned it turning into a western caribbean but going south at sail away seems less likely than anything. I had initially thought we might stay in port and sail away Sunday morning after it has passed but it now looks like it might not be until mid/late Monday that it has cleared. Going straight east out into the Atlantic on Saturday may make the most sense but seems like even if the current track holds they will have to be confident they stay ahead of a hook to do that. Certainly lots still in doubt.

Slightly OT, but: Embarking today for a cruise out of Miami on RCCL. Looking at the current track, we should be in the clear (disembark Friday morning) for the cruise. I'm unsure about our planned overnight in Miami, though. Flying out Saturday morning is starting to look a bit...adventurous. But, I've got a (10th) anniversary dinner with my wife planned for Friday night, so we're going to wait and see.

In any case, I'm fully confident that the ship captain will keep us clear of anything (Bahamas, Coco Cay, Key West itinerary - so, at least we'll be sailing away from Irma through the week).

Wondering what's going to end up happening for the 9/11 Dream cruise out of PC. DH called DCL and they said that it's very unlikely they will cancel, but it may end up being modified. The track keeps changing so much there's no way to know what's going to happen. But we're supposed to go to MK and MNSSHP on Sunday 9/10. So much up in the air right now for our 10th anniversary celebration.

Folks on the 9/9 Fantasy (like me) that are flying in on Friday or Saturday, keep checking airline websites. If Friday looks like hurricane may cause weather issues on Friday or Saturday, most airlines will let you fly in a day or two early for no additional charge. We are flying in Friday afternoon and depending on Irma, may come in Thursday instead and just stay an extra night at hotel we booked with goportcanaveral.com.

Folks on the 9/9 Fantasy (like me) that are flying in on Friday or Saturday, keep checking airline websites. If Friday looks like hurricane may cause weather issues on Friday or Saturday, most airlines will let you fly in a day or two early for no additional charge. We are flying in Friday afternoon and depending on Irma, may come in Thursday instead and just stay an extra night at hotel we booked with goportcanaveral.com.
Delta has started issuing waivers for Puerto Rico for 9/5 and 9/6 flights as well as the Virgin Islands. Nothing yet for the mainland...will keep checking to see if we can get in on Thursday as well ahead of the storm.

I am watching for any potential storms later this month. We are headed out in the Dream on 09/25

Florida just declared a state of emergency ... wow ... way too soon IMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter