Hurricane Update....

Originally posted by GotAnyPins
They are telling us to stay boarded...i think we will be doing the generator thingy this time, and have it hooked right to the house...

I wonder if you can get those things to run off of your electricity to save gas???:crazy: ...

Donna, I'm confused ... If you need to use a generator, then that usually means you have no electricity coming into your house. I know there are exceptions like when one runs the generator to be sure it still works (in between power outages).

When we lose power/electricity, I turn off the power to the house at the main circuit breaker (we have two circuit breakers). Then I plug in the generator to a plug next to the main circuit breaker (after I start it, of course). Then I turn on the circuit breaker for that outlet & voila I have power in my house without running orange extrension cords all over the house. I have a list of how much power each item uses, so I don't go over the limit. For example I cannot use the microwave & the toaster oven or the coffee pot at the same time.

Our generator runs on gasoline like the kind from teh gas station. Neighobrs down the street have a whole house generator that runs on the gas that comes into our homes. However, you cannot run the generator off electricity (unless you want to power the whole neighborhood - that is why I have to turn off the main circuit breaker first.)

Now you are married to an engineer, right :)? Doesn't he have the generator set up to power the whole house?

Judith!!!!......this is Donna!!!.....she bought an electric generator!!!!!
Silly girl!!!!:crazy: :crazy: :rolleyes: :space:

Originally posted by chefmanny
Judith!!!!......this is Donna!!!.....she bought an electric generator!!!!!
Silly girl!!!!:crazy: :crazy: :rolleyes: :space:

an electric generator to use when the power goes out ... hhhmmmm ... sure, makes lots of sense - NOT :)!! something is definitely wrong with this picture :)! Duct tape is one thing, but does Ed know she bought this generator :)!!?

ED did ....of course...:rolleyes:

I wanted the propane one!!!:tongue:

Do you have a REALLY long extension cord? Maybe you could plug in at Disney?

Originally posted by LynniethePooh
Do you have a REALLY long extension cord? Maybe you could plug in at Disney?

Now don't laugh, but after Hurricane Floyd in 1999 we had heavy duty extension cords running all over the place - over the fence to the next door neighbor & another one across the street to another neighbor plus the one or two coming into our house - this was before we could use the generator for our whole house through one plug. Now we have two generators!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter