Hurricane Irma?

Where are you reading that it seems unlikely? Everything I see says basically "who the heck knows." I second the crystal ball request...

I know some people are probably getting annoyed at my repeating this point, but ANYONE taking speculative projections being made right now as gospel of what the weather is going to be like in Florida next Sunday and Monday is making a big, BIG mistake. SpookyJ is absolutely correct that the reality is no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- can give anybody a guarantee right now of what conditions are going to be then.

I know some people are probably getting annoyed at my repeating this point, but ANYONE taking speculative projections being made right now as gospel of what the weather is going to be like in Florida next Sunday and Monday is making a big, BIG mistake. SpookyJ is absolutely correct that the reality is no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- can give anybody a guarantee right now of what conditions are going to be then.

I am already regretting that username choice as it's so silly sounding. Like a bad rapper.

I am scheduled to fly down Thurs to Sunday. Still planning on going but will keep an eye on things and make a definite decision tomorrow night or early Thursday morning as my flight isn't until Non (with Southwest).

It's a girls trip, so no kids but still worried...

We're driving to Valdosta, GA on Sunday (9/10) and spending the night. Then we're driving to WDW Monday morning. I'm bound and determined to go on this trip since trying to reschedule with my work would be a nightmare. I just hope we can get there safely on Monday.

update: cancelled our trip from the 7th-12th. Disney gave us 100% refund - no ADR's, no FP's (as it should be). We were able (lucky!) to score rooms at our same resort in January AND have already made all of the same ADR's PLUS one better at Animal Kingdom (one that was full on our original trip was open on our rescheduled trip).

I completely understand not knowing when/how to decide what to do - especially after putting time, money, and effort in to making the perfect trip. I get it. I'm in the same boat. Yesterday, I was angry and very sad. I knew this could happen when booking this time of year, but though the chances were very small. Who knew that the largest formed hurricane EVER in the Atlantic would barrel down on Florida at the same exact time as my trip? Chances were so small.

Been married for 17 years and have NEVER traveled with my husband. My boys have never been on a plane much less to DW. However, this is not to be messed with - and is a very serious matter. Lives, communities, livelihoods are at stake.

Cancel or take your chances. While I am dissappointed in the outcome of my vacation, it is a vacation - not my home, not my job, not my community, not my family's lives. NOTHING compared to those that live there. My heart and prayers go out to them.

However, it is never a mistake to make preparations to be safe.

@famsen Our trip is on the 20th and as of right now, i am not canceling. I think we should see how Irma ends up before we worry about another hurricane. I do have a plan B though. if something happens to DW, i will ask for a refund and head to DL. a different Disney is better than no Disney.

i was just ranting. which everyone does. like i mentioned in a previous post, i have depression, and this trip is/was basically my livelihood. it was kind of the only thing i had to look forward to. trying to make it to a new trip date, is going to be very hard for me. i know for some people it's just "oh it stinks", but for me, it's so much more than that.

i just think Disney should be helpful, since they have such a huge impact on this country. not trying to ruffle feather.

I really feel for you, but don't discount the impact it is having on 'everyone' that is having to cancel, rebook, or whatever. It is upsetting to everyone. No one likes to get excited about a vacation and have it snatched away from them. It is very hard and stressful right now, and especially for those in the 'potential' path of the storm. This is not your low Cat storm, it's one of the most powerful. Try to think of them, and maybe it'll lesson the loss that you feel for yourself.

We're driving to Valdosta, GA on Sunday (9/10) and spending the night. Then we're driving to WDW Monday morning. I'm bound and determined to go on this trip since trying to reschedule with my work would be a nightmare. I just hope we can get there safely on Monday.

Just so you are aware .... MANY will be heading up 75 and grabbing every hotel room from Lake City through Atlanta. Valdosta is a popular spot due to all the hotels, food options, inland but not too far to head back home. Those folks will be heading up there today/tomorrow and staying put in their rooms. Matthew filled every room through N. FL and Georgia. Those hotels are going to book folks for 5-6 nights and not worry about someone showing up for 1 night. I would hate for you to drive down and end up with no room. Just have a backup plan or be ready to drive all the way to WDW.

update: cancelled our trip from the 7th-12th. Disney gave us 100% refund - no ADR's, no FP's (as it should be). We were able (lucky!) to score rooms at our same resort in January AND have already made all of the same ADR's PLUS one better at Animal Kingdom (one that was full on our original trip was open on our rescheduled trip).

I completely understand not knowing when/how to decide what to do - especially after putting time, money, and effort in to making the perfect trip. I get it. I'm in the same boat. Yesterday, I was angry and very sad. I knew this could happen when booking this time of year, but though the chances were very small. Who knew that the largest formed hurricane EVER in the Atlantic would barrel down on Florida at the same exact time as my trip? Chances were so small.

Been married for 17 years and have NEVER traveled with my husband. My boys have never been on a plane much less to DW. However, this is not to be messed with - and is a very serious matter. Lives, communities, livelihoods are at stake.

Cancel or take your chances. While I am dissappointed in the outcome of my vacation, it is a vacation - not my home, not my job, not my community, not my family's lives. NOTHING compared to those that live there. My heart and prayers go out to them.

:worship:

I guess we will be waiting till Thursday night or Friday to decide what to do, We can cancel our Friday night, it was for just for one night, but our free dining package starts on Saturday... I really hope if we do cancel we can still get free dining.... if not, boo... This was to be our first MNSSHP .. I guess this will be a big discussion tonight when husband gets home....

My TA just got off the phone, cannot keep free dining if we change dates.
So we are going to wait until the last minute to cancel so I can figure out a back up to my back up plan haha

I can't believe how crazy Irma is predicted to be! My heart, prayers and thoughts are with all and any who are going to be influenced and affected by her. Hubby and I have reservations sept 9-17th and are scheduled to drive up Friday from Ontario Canada, we are considering leaving Thursday to ensure we are there before Irma is currently expected to come, but who knows. Waiting is so hard, I'm just so heartbroken and to top it off we are using a friends DVC points, so we have no control over rebooking - and she is actually in Fort Lauderdale on vacation as we speak. Ugh I'm just a mess- I'm disappointed for myself and scared for friends and family (and everyone else)

Just so you are aware .... MANY will be heading up 75 and grabbing every hotel room from Lake City through Atlanta. Valdosta is a popular spot due to all the hotels, food options, inland but not too far to head back home. Those folks will be heading up there today/tomorrow and staying put in their rooms. Matthew filled every room through N. FL and Georgia. Those hotels are going to book folks for 5-6 nights and not worry about someone showing up for 1 night. I would hate for you to drive down and end up with no room. Just have a backup plan or be ready to drive all the way to WDW.
That's a very good point. I didn't even think of that. If I do have to drive straight through, I guess Orlando area hotels may be easier to come by

Hurricane Irma is now the strongest storm in the recorded history of the Atlantic Ocean basin. The remarkable statistic comes after the 5 p.m. Tuesday advisory from the National Hurricane Center holds the storm's max sustained winds at 185 mph. This is unchanged from the earlier 2 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center.

Wind gusts with the hurricane are now hitting an incredible 225 mph.

The NHS just announced sustained winds of Irma are now over 185 mph and that it's present track suggests it is going to skirt the windwards and Puerto Rico. If that happens, they expect it to continue strengthening. They also said that they don't anticipate knowing until Thursday whether the storm is showing any signs of changing it's current northwest track.

Interestingly, the prime speculative models are now showing two different scenarios: Euro shows it sliding further westward once it reaches the Bahamas and possibly entering the gulf. NHS shows it stalling at the southern tip of Florida before possibly moving north.

Again, these are speculative projections, not definitive tracks.

Currently scheduled to fly out 9/10-9/17.. will be watching closely and possibly changing to 9/17-9/24 or 9/24-10/01 when warnings officially go up. Hoping Virgin America and Disney open up date changes soon!

I really feel for you, but don't discount the impact it is having on 'everyone' that is having to cancel, rebook, or whatever. It is upsetting to everyone. No one likes to get excited about a vacation and have it snatched away from them. It is very hard and stressful right now, and especially for those in the 'potential' path of the storm. This is not your low Cat storm, it's one of the most powerful. Try to think of them, and maybe it'll lesson the loss that you feel for yourself.

i actually am in a potential path of being hit. so having to deal with both of these things is stressful. i suppose i should have prefaced that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter