Hurricane Irma?

We are scheduled to fly out of SC on Sunday evening. We are actually looking to move our flights (SW) up to arrive at MCO Saturday morning. I think this may be the safest approach. I am NOT cancelling my 40th birthday celebration! Problem I am having now is with my DVC reservations. Limited availability for extra night.

Saturday morning is much better the Sunday night.

Expect a lot of DVC cancellations over the next 48 hours, something should pop up. If anything, a lot of resorts have availability on cash.

IMHO, I think people should wait a few days before changing any plans. Right now the Irma is so far away that an accurate path is too difficult to predict. The models will give much better guidance by Thursday evening.

I agree. If it does miss FL, it will be very slow crowds in the parks for a few days with everyone canceling!

Seriously though, those who are canceling are probably doing the right thing. As disappointing as it is, you are smart to change now.

We are scheduled to fly out of SC on Sunday evening. We are actually looking to move our flights (SW) up to arrive at MCO Saturday morning. I think this may be the safest approach. I am NOT cancelling my 40th birthday celebration! Problem I am having now is with my DVC reservations. Limited availability for extra night.

While I certainly understand its your 40th Birthday Celebration, we are talking about the most powerful hurricane that has ever come out of the atlantic ocean potentially hitting Florida dead on.

Your safety is much more important. A stress free 40th seems much better.

Its still early though so hopefully everything works out perfectly for everyone

DH is in charge of his companies real estate all over the country. Last week Houston and now working with Miami locations. Closing them now to allow people to do what they need to do ............. his lead in Miami has a very good friend with Hurricane Center so he called him. Now they are IN Miami, not Orlando .. but dominoes affect transportation ............ his friend said "Get out now!"

We don't know where it will bounce from the south of FL (and yeah I have a FL home so here we go again with the nerves) but ....... for those talking about changing a flight or leaving early note that MANY are trying to fly out who had no flight before, and I will bet flights get overbooked to allow for some who left early otherwise. So if you have flight out ... get there early to check in to avoid bumps.

While I certainly understand its your 40th Birthday Celebration, we are talking about the most powerful hurricane that has ever come out of the atlantic ocean potentially hitting Florida dead on.

Your safety is much more important. A stress free 40th seems much better.

Its still early though so hopefully everything works out perfectly for everyone

So true. I have friends that rode out Andrew, which hit Miami area. It was a Cat 5 and it was awful. Power out for weeks, massive destruction, roads impassable, airport shut down etc. Not saying that will happen with Irma, but please keep an eye on the weather and don't make a decision until more info comes in. Hopefully it will not be bad at all.

Just spoke with Travelex so for anyone who has their trip insured through them they told me directly that if your incoming flight is cancelled or if MCO closes, 100% of your trip costs are covered when you file a claim. So that was some relief that I can wait till the very last minute to see how it all plays out. I'm due to fly out of Newark on Sunday at noon getting to Orlando by 3.

Schedule to leave Sunday flying into mco. Will like to change it to Saturday. But right now American Airlines hasn't named mco as a free change airport yet. Hopefully soon they will.

I am not super worried about the impact in Orlando as it seems "unlikely". Even if the storm turns and goes up the East coast, I think rain and winds will be the worst. My biggest concern is getting to Orlando. Clearly, if something changes and Orlando is expected to take a direct hit, we would reschedule. I am just worried if we wait too long to do re book for Saturday that there wont be anything left. Flights, hotels, rental cars... I really don't think we will be able to make it in on Sunday. Then coming down from SC, we probably wouldn't be able to get out until Tuesday or Wednesday. If anyone out there with a crystal weather ball would care to chime in, that would be great :)

I am not super worried about the impact in Orlando as it seems "unlikely". Even if the storm turns and goes up the East coast, I think rain and winds will be the worst. My biggest concern is getting to Orlando. Clearly, if something changes and Orlando is expected to take a direct hit, we would reschedule. I am just worried if we wait too long to do re book for Saturday that there wont be anything left. Flights, hotels, rental cars... I really don't think we will be able to make it in on Sunday. Then coming down from SC, we probably wouldn't be able to get out until Tuesday or Wednesday. If anyone out there with a crystal weather ball would care to chime in, that would be great :)

Where are you reading that it seems unlikely? Everything I see says basically "who the heck knows." I second the crystal ball request...

I wouldn't say unlikely.. might be possible

lg_spaghetti.jpg

Looking for opinions please. Would you be thinking of cancelling now if your trip was scheduled to begin September 22nd? I see another likely hurricane developing after Irma; probably 5 days after, of course no idea at this point where it's headed. We are driving from Chicago on the 22nd getting to WDW on the 23rd. My worry is gas shortages in the south an to d what conditions could be once we get down to WDW. The last 2 years that we have driven this time of year there have been gas shortages anyways for really no reason. Any thoughts, opinions, advice is appreciated.
No need to change those plans now, but do stay weather-aware. I'm mulling over whether to make a business trip to Cape Coral that weekend and am waiting until closer to time to confirm

50mph winds are tropical storm force on the Safir Simpson scale.

I can't imagine that a storm which is not forecasted to go over land masses containing mountains (which break apart hurricanes) but is staying over very warm energy producing waters for the next few days , will weaken to a tropical storm once hitting land in florida.
I watched Mike Boylan's (Mikes Weather Page on FB & twitter) livestream last night & he had allot of very good info. He said that the storm will be passing over very flat water laden land in the everglades which will help it stay together as a hurricane - likely still a major. It's size will also keep feeder bands out over open water on either coast - lessening the chance of dissipation quickly.

Just read that forecasters are predicting that Central Florida will begin to feel Irma's approach this Friday evening as the storm force winds ahead of Irma's landfall reach the Orlando area. Keep an eye on info for MCO cancellations etc. should that be the case

Excellent information that warns the storm may not weaken as quickly as many think it will if it makes landfall at the bottom of the panhandle.

I'm a bit surprised (and disappointed) that Monday isn't included yet. Thanks for the update.

Me too actually but it'll probably be updated. I'm actually more surprised they included Orlando already.

My family is going down tomorrow till next Wednesday. 6 of us are flying two are driving. We had tickets to mnschp for Sunday. We were able to change that to Thursday (hopefully before storm). Our plan is to go as planned. If the weather turned bad sat or Sunday we may just have to cut vacation short and drive home with the two that drove. If not we will try and wait it out. Unfortunately we really don't have an option to reschedule.

Flights out of Miami are getting hard to book. UM has canceled classes and kids are trying to get home. A friends DD had a heck of a time getting a flight north today. I expect the track north by car will be just as bad due to the evacuations. Praying the roads won't be clogged. I'm on the Space Coast and getting supplies has not been too bad...so far. I hope plans can be changed without hassle and if you still decide to drive it may be hard to get back home due to gas shortage. Praying for safe travels for y'all and for my roof to stay on should it skirt up the coast.

Happy 40th! I'm celebrating my 50th in WDW (hopefully) on the 12th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter