Hurricane Irma?

I lost 20 hours of pay for these 2 days the parks have been closed. Even though I scrambled to trade shifts around and get back a good number of hours, I still won't get the 6th day overtime I always count on, because I can't create an extra day in the week. This is the first time I've had two days off in the same week in months, and that's because I can't afford to not be at work.

With the lost pay, the higher gas prices, and having to stock up on supplies, my budget is going to be super tight this month.
That sucks, I'm sorry. Do they take volunteers to be trained for ride out crew, or is that more of a nomination/pre certification (outside education/skills) deal?

This isn't uncommon. I work for a large health care system on the coast. During an emergency situation, essential employees are required to come to work and will be terminated if they don't show up. Non-essential employees are not allowed to come to work, and they must use vacation time if they want to get paid for hours not worked. It's been that way at every hospital I've ever worked -- just part of the reality of being employed.
True. However, on the other hand, there are many many other employers who choose to pay their employees in situations like these so Disney chose not to.

Our winter home is in Davenport. I just heard from our neighbor that they are fine, their home is fine, they have power/cable/internet, and that our house is also OK. Some of the homes in the development, mostly two story ones, experienced minor roof damage. We are very blessed to have escaped the wrath of Irma.

Our neighbor also said that a high percentage of Polk County is without power. You can go to the Duke Energy web site and find a map that shows the areas that have outages. If you know where your villa is located you might be able to see if the development has power.

Perhaps you should get in touch with your villa's management company and/or owner to get their assessment.

Wishing you a safe trip!

Thank you! I do know the street and looked it up and seems to be ok. I was hesitant to reach out because I didnt want bad news but I will email them. I know its a two story house.

I grew up on the Northwest side, it's the only airport I've ever known! Even now - just jump on the blueline at Addison and hello O'hare!

But I have heard of people that use Midway. ;)

:laughing:

Also from the Chicago area here and closer to ORD but we use MDW when we can. Actually i loathe airports and airline travel so badly that we drive to WDW each year in March when we go!!

I lost 20 hours of pay for these 2 days the parks have been closed. Even though I scrambled to trade shifts around and get back a good number of hours, I still won't get the 6th day overtime I always count on, because I can't create an extra day in the week. This is the first time I've had two days off in the same week in months, and that's because I can't afford to not be at work.

With the lost pay, the higher gas prices, and having to stock up on supplies, my budget is going to be super tight this month.

So very sorry.

That sucks, I'm sorry. Do they take volunteers to be trained for ride out crew, or is that more of a nomination/pre certification (outside education/skills) deal?

It's a volunteer deal, but I have physical disabilities that prevent me from doing the heavy lifting required of parks CMs for ride-out crew. I can't carry sandbags, for example, or move trashcans indoors. So, I don't volunteer.

My roommate at the Contemporary is going to make about $1300 for his shift on ride-out. Of course, he also got screamed at by countless guests for stupid things and had someone from Miami threaten to kill him, so I'd say he earned it.

My roommate at the Contemporary is going to make about $1300 for his shift on ride-out. Of course, he also got screamed at by countless guests for stupid things and had someone from Miami threaten to kill him, so I'd say he earned it.

Glad to hear the ride out crews are getting well paid. They deserve every cent.

It's a volunteer deal, but I have physical disabilities that prevent me from doing the heavy lifting required of parks CMs for ride-out crew. I can't carry sandbags, for example, or move trashcans indoors. So, I don't volunteer.

Wow these are the stories I want to hear.

Does anyone know if the hotel at MCO had guest stay there during the hurricane or did they move them? wondering if people are staying there if they know what kind of damage they had there

WLKY in Louisville just posted the following ... while it's far from official, it gives airport re-opening times.

MIAMI INT'L AIRPORT... closed..... limited schedule on Tuesday

ORLANDO INT'L AIRPORT....closed....will reopen Tuesday at noon

NAPLES MUNICIPAL AIRPORT.... closed until Thursday

DAYTONA BEACH INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen at 6:00 PM today

FORT LAUDERDALE INT'L AIRPORT.... will reopen noon on Tuesday

JACKSONVILLE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen noon on Tuesday

MELBOURNE INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen Tuesday evening

KEY WEST INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen on Friday

PALM BEACH AIRPORT..... will reopen late todayOrlandp

TAMPA INT'L AIRPORT..... will reopen today at 6:00 PM

Weird, Orlando's press release says they will operate on limited flights only tomorrow Tuesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter