Hurricane Irma- Now a tropical depression

We just dropped our son off at the University of Miami for his freshman year a few weeks ago. Now we have him booked on a flight to come home on Thursday. The university has not announced an official evacuation, but students are being encouraged to leave the south Florida area. We were able to get him a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. From there, we can easily get him home to the San Francisco Bay Area. Flights from Florida to our area were booked solid or only had first class fares available ($$$). He will stay here until we get word that classes are resuming. It depends on how much damage is done to the campus, whether they have power, and whether they are able to stock the dining halls with food. They won't call the students back until it's safe and they have all services up and running. According to our orientation a few weeks ago, it could take a few days or a few weeks. It just depends on what the storm ends up doing. I hope everyone in the area stays safe!

Another NJer here, but inland, not far from Philly. Sandy closed schools in our area for several days.

Is your son driving or flying?

Inland here, too. Near Philly. :wave2:

DS is flying. His GF lives near Newark Airport and will come down Friday night. Taking them to PHL Saturday morning. His first thought, last week, was "as long as we get down there". Now, it seems as though they will get down there and then Sunday or Monday, things get shut down. They booked this trip last March. Ugh.

Where did Irene hit land?. I think Irene was everybodys. I raced it home from Disney. Actually from Lake Okeechobee as my wife made us go down to see her friend. We had wonderful time but storm was with us the whole way. We were like 2 hours in front of outer bands, everyonce in a while they would catch up. Terrifying.

Ugh Irene and earthquake in same week.

Yeah, that was some strange week, Small earthquake on a Tuesday, and Irene on Saturday night into Sunday.

In the U.S,, Irene first hit land on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, then again in Little Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, about 20 miles north of Atlantic City.

Sandy came ashore in Ventnor, just southwest of Atlantic City.

(My parents were long-time friends with a couple, Harvey and Irma.)

I hope you're evacuating. Where do you go for evacuation? Out of Florida?

Yes, we're leaving tomorrow at the latest, DH has some work requirements today. We have two large dogs and finding a hotel that takes large dogs is not easy. Spent the good part of yesterday searching and searching. I want to head to GA, around Atlanta, and have a hotel booked there. Also have one in Orlando, which is where my DH thinks we should go. Based upon projections, I think we should cancel Orlando and just get out of the state.

I hope everyone stays safe!

Irma is now the strongest recorded Atlantic Hurricane, everyone stay safe who may be in its path.

@Oreocookie:are you able and plan to get the heck out of dodge? Stay safe

Thanks for the concern. We are planning to get out of dodge, hopefully tomorrow by the latest.

My sister is in Ft.Myers, about 10-15 min, you know 2 miles with lights, from the beach. The end of their road/the road their subdivision is on ends at Estero Bay Preserve. She sent me pictures last week of the pond in her back yard and the water was up and past the cypress trees, normally it's about 4 feet below that. And the water was high in the small canals (not sure what they are are called). They were putting on their storm shutters today and packing what they want to keep and heading to friends in Georgia Thursday or Friday. I love your area (love BArefoot beach, and the drive in), stay safe, see you in April!

Stay safe!

I live in North Naples and our property became a huge lake from all the rain (we don't live on a lake). It's finally gone down. The ground is so saturated here. We have culverts in front of our home to divert the water out to weir and the culverts were so high, they still have water in them now.

There is a BIG shift in the projected storm track this morning. The 2 AM computer models showed a 90 degree right turn coming up on Saturday, and the forecast track has shifted from landfall in the lower Keys to almost a direct hit for Miami on Sunday. However, once these kinds of changes occur the natural tendency of the systems is to keep moving right. That's what we're hoping for!

The actual movement of Irma has shifted from West to WNW. The NHC had previously predicted the storm would continue moving straight west through Saturday, but it has shifted a little. That's good news for Puerto Rico and Hispanola (Dominican Republic and Haiti), as well as Cuba.

I'm pretty worried for my family back home in Tampa area. My parents home is usually good because they are pretty high up, but my aunt's ranch in Hernando has been having major flooding issues from a new construction project outside of her subdivision. They have all been told they are more than welcome here in NY so we'll see what happens.

I'm pretty worried for my family back home in Tampa area. My parents home is usually good because they are pretty high up, but my aunt's ranch in Hernando has been having major flooding issues from a new construction project outside of her subdivision. They have all been told they are more than welcome here in NY so we'll see what happens.
The Tampa Bay area is looking much better with this latest shift. The threat to them was that the storm would go into the Gulf of Mexico and then recurve and hit Florida's Gulf coast. The 8 AM computer model runs are even more encouraging -- both for us here in Miami and the rest of Florida.

But the storm is still 3 1/2-4 days away, so anything can still happen. We're putting our shutters up today.

The Tampa Bay area is looking much better with this latest shift. The threat to them was that the storm would go into the Gulf of Mexico and then recurve and hit Florida's Gulf coast. The 8 AM computer model runs are even more encouraging -- both for us here in Miami and the rest of Florida.

But the storm is still 3 1/2-4 days away, so anything can still happen. We're putting our shutters up today.
Good luck!

We have a lot of family in PR. My grandmother is borderline panicking right now. This is going to be devastating for these small islands. They are saying PR may be without electricity for 6 months after this storm hits.

Where are all of you planning to evacuate to. I saw some mention evacuating to Orlando. What am I missing? At this time, it looks to me like the storms is going near there

If Channel 10s latest projected path is right, it will go right over our home, as well as many others on the east coast of Broward & MD counties. I'm praying for it continue shifting further east than they're predicting at the moment.

Try to picture this: A BIG wave crashes the beach and just rolls thru the whole Island until it rolls off back to the ocean on the opposite side...

Good luck to all in the path.

I was thinking same thing.
Looks like Puerto Rico hopefully will not take direct hit.

St Marten must be a mess.

Sandy was a nightmare.
We got crushed and lost everything being in South Queens, NY.
We're still recovering in some ways.
These hurricanes suck...no other way to say it.
Just have to prepare, batten down the hatches, and stay safe.
Florida folks are more experienced with this stuff...
...but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to local authorities if they say to evacuate.
You can't hide from it. You're not stronger than it. Just GET OUT!
Irma is looking like a real beast. :guilty:
I'll be saying many prayers for you all down south...I truly will be.

***HUGS FROM NYC***

Listen, I am in the Bahamas and I am freaking out. Our southern islands will definitely be hit and today they have actually been evacuating those residents to Nassau (where I live). I appreciate that Florida wants to be spared, but if it moves more northward, Nassau will definitely get a direct hit which can be devastating for the entire Bahamas since we are the capital and therefore the hub to get supplies, planes, medical assistance, etc to all of the other islands. Nassau also is the most populated island and where most Bahamians live. I don't want this thing to move any more north. I've seen videos and pictures of the damages it has already caused and I don't like it one bit. I want it decrease its wind speeds and gusts and come down two more categories. That would be best, but most unlikely scenario.

Every day since Saturday, we have been buying supplies because I keep finding/thinking of stuff we might need. Our grocery bill alone this weekend doubled (and let me point out that groceries are freaking expensive here). Some stores have started selling out of stuff like flashlights, lanterns, etc since Monday afternoon. After the country went through Joaquin and then Matthew last year, no one is taking any chances but plenty of people are VERY concerned. Some people are still trying to re-build their lives after those two hurricanes (I work for a property management company and up to June we were still repairing/replacing roofs in some of our properties).

I just pray there is no loss of life and hope for the best. Let's be smart about it too, to all who are in her path.

Try to picture this: A BIG wave crashes the beach and just rolls thru the whole Island until it rolls off back to the ocean on the opposite side...

Good luck to all in the path.

I was thinking same thing.
Looks like Puerto Rico hopefully will not take direct hit.

St Marten must be a mess.

That's what happened to many of the Florida Keys during the Labor Day hurricane of 1935.

Unlikely in Puerto Rico and St.Maarten because those islands have some mountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter