Hurricane Irma- Now a tropical depression

I'm getting more and more scared of this storm. Hoping that it turns away from FL but that's looking less and less likely, so the only thing I can do is prepare. Water is already disappearing from grocery shelves.

I don't want to imagine what the islands in the Caribbean are going to face.

I found water in Target this morning, they had tons. Publix was out.
I'm in ft lauderdale I'm getting nervous too.
Key west just closed schools from tomorrow until further notice.

Thank you for the heads up about Target. Publix is where I was yesterday and they were very low (I'm in Orlando). Stay safe!

Public and Walmart were out of water and shelf stable goods were disappearing quickly.

I haven't tried Target though. I gave in and just ordered two cases to be delivered Thursday from Amazon. It was ridiculously expensive but saves me from running all over town trying to find one store just as they're getting a shipment.

Watching this closely. We are in NJ and we have had our share - Sandy, Irene..... Could very well head this way.

Hurricane Irma now a Cat 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 175 mph it looks like the Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are going to get hit before it moves toward the US mainland. One can hope it somehow turns and heads up away from the coast.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents
Yep, very bad storm. Sustained winds of 180 mph, gusting to 220.

The northern Leeward Islands and possibly the US/British Virgin Islands are going to get a direct Cat 5 hit tonight/tomorrow, and right behind that they might get hit with Jose, which will be a Cat 1 hurricane, on Saturday. Jose is going to turn North; hopefully it will do that without causing much damage.

It's still too early to predict if, or where, Irma might hit Florida, but it's not too soon to begin sensible precautions. We got water yesterday and will be putting up shutters tomorrow.

I hope everyone stays safe. I life in South West Florida (Naples) and we are in the cone of concern. Prepping the best I can, and planning to evacuate if/when we know more about the projected path. Already made hotel reservations and have supplies for my pets and family. Everyone please be careful, we saw the devastation from Harvey.

Publix had water this morning in my area, and I heard the workers talking that more was on they way.

Watching this closely. We are in NJ and we have had our share - Sandy, Irene..... Could very well head this way.

No one can predict exactly where Irma will head. That stated, the big subtropical ridge over the Atlantic is continuing to push it more westward than northward. In all likelihood, it will hit the U.S. mainland in Florida or the Carolinas; likelihood of it getting up in to the northeast coast in anything near it's present cat 5 form is relatively low, given most of the spaghetti map projection show it staying west over land, which would weaken it.

I have a friend in Orlando who found water in the Halloween section of Target when it was sold out in the actual water section, the bottles have Halloween labels on them. Someone else commented on her status that they found some at a dollar store. Just an FYI for anyone in the area looking for some!

Thank you for the heads up about Target. Publix is where I was yesterday and they were very low (I'm in Orlando). Stay safe!

Do people in Florida generally not keep water on hand for emergencies? Just curious; I am in Va and I keep water on hand for extended power outages, as well as a supply of non-perishable food, solar chargers for our phones, etc. I assumed most Floridians would do the same.

Do people in Florida generally not keep water on hand for emergencies? Just curious; I am in Va and I keep water on hand for extended power outages, as well as a supply of non-perishable food, solar chargers for our phones, etc. I assumed most Floridians would do the same.

I can't speak for all of FL, but I just recently moved to a new apartment so I am sadly really unprepared. Also the last time we had a hurricane affect my area was in 2004; I think a lot of Floridians don't take hurricane season seriously until we're in the most likely path. And even then people have "hurricane parties". We're a weird state.

It's not just the power outages but that after hurricanes tap water is often contaminated. Going by the gallon/person/day a family of 4 will need 28 Gallons of water. I think most people keep some water on hand but not that volume if for no other reason that storage.

Just back from shopping. No water in the Publix, Target and Walmart in this area. They are low on bread and out of D size batteries. Long lines at the gas stations.

We have many friends in Key West and we're expecting to be there in about 30 days. Really hoping for a minimal impact.

Just back from shopping. No water in the Publix, Target and Walmart in this area. They are low on bread and out of D size batteries. Long lines at the gas stations.

Feralpeg, you're in Windermere right? Is that the WG Village Target and the Hamlin Walmart?? I was just going to head over there...

For those who are new to all this, I have a couple of suggestions:
  • Stay away from the Weather Channel and other cable news. They don't know anything except that more hype sells more commercials.
  • Get your information from The National Hurricane Center, here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
  • Another good source of info is Weather Underground's Tropical Weather page, here: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane
  • If you live in Florida, especially South Florida, local news weather forecasters often understand things far better than national news sources, plus they have local contacts who fill in the gaps.
For the purpose of discussion on this board, it would be helpful to know where people are. We don't know where this storm is going yet, but certainly people in the Keys and the lower East Coast should be doing at least preliminary preparations. We will probably be getting tropical storm force winds by Friday, and that will stop a LOT of community services.

People in the Florida Keys should evacuate as soon as authorities advise you to. DO NOT wait. You know what US 1 is like on Sunday afternoon -- multiply that by about 50, and you'll see the problem. If you need to get out, get out way early.

I posted in the thread on the TPAS board, but I'll post these here too.

Skip the little water bottles. Go pick up those 5 gallon bottles for drink coolers. You can get a pump to use them, if you don't have a cooler. They are reusable and are usually the last to go (because people don't want to pay $10 for one).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Maid-5-gal-Water-Bottle/51200565

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Bottle...&sr=8-3&keywords=5+gallon+water+jug+dispenser

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TERAPUMP...-Pump-EXCEPT-GLASS-BOTTLES-BPA-Free/938321270

I had 4 cases in my garage and bought 6 more this morning, plus 4 one gallon jugs. I worry about running out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter