Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We are in the same boat - at Poly and scheduled to move to AKL Thursday. We tried to see if we could move to AKL early but there was no availability. The CM at the desk at the Poly said there will “likely” be a room available for us here Thursday night if we can’t move but that wasn’t super reassuring. Just taking it one day at a time and waiting for more concrete info I guess.
My wife is like, well, I’d we can’t check in at SSR, the folks taking our GFV room can’t either. Again, not reassuring. Trying to reach MS for clarity. CRO is like, IDK, it’s a DVC ressie

Anyone know the website for road closures? I need to leave on Saturday morning driving up 75 to I 10.

Google maps monitor traffic and closures.. just put in Florida and zoom in to your location. I’ve found them to be pretty much up to the moment with traffic

They've blocked all availability until they deal with re-locating the on-site reservations from the resort areas that need to close. Once that is done, they will likely re-open it so keep trying.
That would be nice but I wonder if they won't open it back up since they are shorter staffed than during past hurricanes. Because of the shift this morning to the SW we are now in the direct route. I should have made that WDW reservation Sunday when I thought about it... but it wasn't tracking to hit here at that point in time.

We are at the BC now and are scheduled to check out Wednesday. Last night I could’ve added days to our reservation but as of this morning they have suspended any new reservations, including extensions. I talked to the desk and they confirmed we could not add days on but said as long as we are here, we will have a room. They stop reservations to insure they have availability for current guests. We’re in wait and see mode right now. We had planned to move to universal late Wednesday night but it all depends on what happens with the weather. Personally, I’m more comfortable staying here if needed but again, we’ll have to just wait until we see where this thing is headed.
We are in the exact same boat. Been at RIV since Saturday and are scheduled to move to the Hard Rock Universal tomorrow. Def more comfortable in our 1-bed here with 5 ppl than we would be in our deluxe room at HR so not sure what will happen with shifting those around. Surely WDW will provide more info today. Yesterday was def lacking in comms with resort guests.

We are in the exact same boat. Been at RIV since Saturday and are scheduled to move to the Hard Rock Universal tomorrow. Def more comfortable in our 1-bed here with 5 ppl than we would be in our deluxe room at HR so not sure what will happen with shifting those around. Surely WDW will provide more info today. Yesterday was def lacking in comms with resort guests.
I checked this morning before we went to HS and they’re not yet allowing
reservations.

So We are at the Cascade Cabins, supposed to be here till Friday and received a letter this morning we need to be relocated. This was a once in a lifetime w trip for us and our “adult” kids. We were offered the Riviera 2 bedroom. I am beyond pissed! No other offering nothing from Disney other than we will reimburse the difference in points. BS! Either we leave today to go to RR or get out of the cabin at 8 am tmo! I’m sick over this! I get it it’s a terrible situation but jeez I hear so many times of how Disney does such “MAgical” things for people but I haven’t seen anything like that! Maybe it’s time to say goodbye to Disney and DVC

So We are at the Cascade Cabins, supposed to be here till Friday and received a letter this morning we need to be relocated. This was a once in a lifetime w trip for us and our “adult” kids. We were offered the Riviera 2 bedroom. I am beyond pissed! No other offering nothing from Disney other than we will reimburse the difference in points. BS! Either we leave today to go to RR or get out of the cabin at 8 am tmo! I’m sick over this! I get it it’s a terrible situation but jeez I hear so many times of how Disney does such “MAgical” things for people but I haven’t seen anything like that! Maybe it’s time to say goodbye to Disney and DVC
I understand! Saving up the points for that once-in-a-lifetime stay at the cabins is a big deal. Sorry this is happening.

What were you hoping they would do for you?

Anyone know the website for road closures? I need to leave on Saturday morning driving up 75 to I 10.
The I-75 will probably be impassible Wed night - Fri night. Saturday morning? Who knows? There could be flooding blocking the road, downed trees or power lines.

I would not count on being able to drive on Saturday morning. You need a back-up plan.

I know it's upsetting to have a change, but it sounds like they're trying to keep you safe and in comfort. A Riviera 2 bed is not too shabby--I'll never see the inside of one!--and you get the points back. It sounds like they're doing right by you considering the circumstances, which are far beyond their control.

FWIW I was staying at Gaylord Palms during Hurricane Charlie. The storm was projected to hit Tampa. The path changed. Orlando got a direct hit, naybe an hour or 2 notice.

Gaylord Palms was great. Backup Generators. They set up cots in their convention center for employees and their famlies.

Posting this to all hurricane threads, since it has all area airports (from FAA) - https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?p=0&ARPT=mco

AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center​
Orlando International Airport (MCO) Real-time Status
The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closed as of Sep 28 at 10:30 AM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:30 AM EDT.
Delays by Destination:
  • Due to CLOSED, the IMM airport was closed as of Sep 27 at 22:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 16:00 UTC.
  • Due to CLOSED, the Melbourne International Airport (MLB) was closed as of Sep 28 at 02:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:00 AM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED, the St Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport (PIE) was closed as of Sep 27 at 06:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 12:00 PM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED, the SPG airport was closed as of Sep 27 at 17:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 11:00 UTC.
  • Due to CLOSED, the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ) was closed as of Sep 27 at 08:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 29 at 07:59 PM EDT.
  • Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Tampa International Airport (TPA) was closed as of Sep 27 at 05:00 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 12:00 PM EDT.
General Departure Delays: Traffic is experiencing gate hold and taxi delays lasting 15 minutes or less.
General Arrival Delays: Arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delays of 15 minutes or less.
This information was last updated: Sep 27, 2022 at 4:59 PM GMT
Glossary of Air Traffic Management Terms - A table containing definitions and/or descriptions of many common Air Traffic Management acronyms.​

I know it's upsetting to have a change, but it sounds like they're trying to keep you safe and in comfort. A Riviera 2 bed is not too shabby--I'll never see the inside of one!--and you get the points back. It sounds like they're doing right by you considering the circumstances, which are far beyond their control.
They’re gorgeous, and the bathrooms are very luxurious! We were upgraded to a 2-bed from a 1-bed back when it first reopened. We had done a split stay, so had been there for a while, and ended up just relaxing in the room and watching Epcot test fireworks from our balcony instead of hitting up the parks.

Would you seriously prefer to risk your lives and stay in a cabin that could be destroyed by a hurricane? Disney is offering you a safer location to ride out the storm and you're pissed at them? You are not being reasonable.

This is why I roll my eyes every time I hear people say "the magic is gone"....

I'm curious as to what you would want them to do to compensate you. Offering a 2 bd suite and difference in points seems pretty reasonable to me given the situation.

While I understand it’s upsetting to have to change, what exactly do you expect from Disney? They are offering you a 2 bedroom at a deluxe resort and the difference in points. They are trying to keep guests safe while still operate with as little change as possible. People pitch a fit about any deviation from their expectations—it’s a potentially deadly natural disaster coming. You are the one who booked a trip to a Disney during the peak hurricane month. I have done it as well—and I realized the risk. I bought travel insurance as well. This has nothing to do with the magic being gone…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter