How to shoot…..

THANKS...will give your suggestions a try. I'm "vertically challenged" and always manage to be the "lucky one" that has the tallest person in the audience sit in front of me but plan on "floating" today so I'll see what happens. Gotta fun...time is short before curtain goes up! :goodvibes :tink:
You’re welcome! I just pulled the info from those articles. I hope you get some great shots! And do share!

I was prepared to say "epic failure" on pictures :rolleyes: until I saw photos from Facebook friends. I've concluded, without professional equipment, it's impossible to get a good photo in our high school auditorium! From others, including our oldest daughter who uses her phone and ALWAYS gets great shots...

342214997_221889657125140_3944796652717101996_n.jpg
342206930_730322238835447_2667458880811280783_n.jpg
342551398_153099971053974_6811526200324297094_n.jpg
342884045_177141651928479_5638003796404848993_n.jpg

This is one of daughters better photos...no blurs on the high kicks :goodvibes:

342040931_565177642264639_5335603222177491273_n.jpg

Comparing a couple of mine to photos from an earlier competition this year:

P1300736-S.jpg
P1990405-S.jpg

Most of mine turned out like this:

P1310092-S.jpg
P1990518-S.jpg

I did get a few that, while no where close to perfect, are acceptable and the program with our Cover Girl was perfect:

P1990453-S.jpg
P1310118-S.jpg
P1310272-M.jpg
P1310394-S.jpg

I've decided next year (DGD's senior year) I'm going to be that "pushy Mimi" and attend dress rehearsal! I'll be able to "float" and sit in the front row if I choose to do so without disturbing the girls or audience members. THANKS for the suggestions; I'll try them again in the fall when we take senior photos ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD...on a sunny day!:goodvibes:tink:

A sequence tells the story

Echoing Mark's post that it is worth shooting a sequence and letting those images tell the story.

In my example, its all about a balloon festival morning. I've kept the same balloon in the images, as much as possible.

untitled-285.jpg

untitled-287.jpg

untitled-308.jpg

untitled-319.jpg

untitled-341.jpg

Graduation Photos

I've been asked to do a graduation photo shoot soon. I'm not talking about shooting the ceremony. I avoid those droning snorefests like the plague. I'm talking about taking pictures of a graduate around campus. Here are my thoughts.

It's fundamentally another portrait shoot. The same general principles about lighting and composition apply. I'm going to focus on things specific to shooting graduations.

Location - particularly for college students, is important. In most cases, the student has lived on or near campus and spent much of their time on campus but will soon move away. I think it is important to get shots showing them in the campus setting. Where on campus is going to depend on the student and what was important to them. It may include shots at the sports venues, local hangouts, the student center, or even classrooms or buildings. Whatever locations meant something special to the graduate.

MB5_7233-Edit.jpg

Posse - people matter. If your subject had a core group of friends at school, make sure that you get some shots with them. This can be hard to coordinate if a lot of these friends are busy with end of college events around the same time you're doing your shoot. Also, if there is a girlfriend/boyfriend, include them in a mix of pictures but be careful to take at least of a few of every important shot without them just in case the relationship doesn't last forever.

MB5_7401-Edit.jpg

And don't be afraid to completely sacrifice your dignity to get the shots you want. Here I am getting that last shot.
20220509_092128.jpg

Clothing - Obviously, you'll want a graduation gown. Fortunately, these are easy to put on and take off, so pay some attention to what other clothes you might want. And don't forget the graduation cap (or motarboard for those that want to be particular). Assuming that your campus is large and you'll be doing a lot of walking around, have your subject wear tennis shoes and just shoot above the foot level for most of your shots. If they have nice (which usually means uncomfortable) shoes they want in the picture, have them put them on in only key locations.

Echos - If you have shots of the graduate taken on campus at a much younger age, it can be fun to take a similar shot now. It's a great way to show the passage of time.

20130224115922-_D3_2629.jpg
MB5_7319.jpg

The cap toss - This is one that I prefer to do in post. Unless you are doing it in a grassy area, you'll tear up the cap and you probably won't catch it in a good orientation. Have your subject simulate throwing the cap and then Photoshop it in later. No caps were harmed in the making of this picture.
MB5_7283-Edit.jpg

Assistance - For shoots like this, I find it invaluable to have help. For me, that's almost always my wife. She allows me to focus on getting the shots while she fusses over clothing, hair, and transporting gear. We usually bring a small foldable wagon like this one to carry clothes changes, props, and other camera gear.

Lighting - While I like to carry an external flash and softbox or shoot-thru umbrella, that's not practical for a lot of cameras. In those cases, I recommend considering a 5-in-1 reflector set. That will allow you to boost the light (or shadows with the black part) on your subject. You can get them relatively cheaply and they work with any camera, including a cell phone camera. They are critical, especially if the light is right. I didn't bring anything to my son's shoot because we didn't have much time for the shoot so I wanted a quick run-and-gun shoot without a lot of shot prep.

Checklist - For important shoots like this, I prefer to have a checklist to work from. You don't want to wrap up the shoot and head home only to forget that the student wanted a mother/daughter shot that you forgot to take. It can also help you with pacing. If you know you have an hour of good light left and 4 more locations to get to, you know that you need to be snappy getting through them. And this can also remind you that you need to be in some shots if you are relevant to the graduate.

Portrait or Landscape - Both are useful and you should shoot some of both. But in general, for a shot like this that is heavily focused on the setting of the subject, I tend to shoot more landscape shots. But when I shoot the landscape shots, I usually shoot them with the thought that I might want to crop them to a portrait shot later. Shoot a bit wider than you think you'll need so that you have room to crop later, both for changing a shot from landscape to portrait and to cover different aspect ratios in case someone wants to display it on their 16:9 screen, their cellphone wallpaper, and an 8x10 print, which will require very different crops.

While I used an expensive camera and lens for this shoot, none of the shots posted here required anything beyond a simple cellphone. There was plenty of light and I didn't need shallow DOF. Don't let a lack of fancy gear scare you off from getting good graduation photos.

Attachments

• MB5_7233.jpg
    MB5_7233.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 1

@MarkBarbieri Your timing on this is perfect. I'm hoping to visit my daughter's campus this weekend to take some senior photos (as opposed to actual grad photos). She'll be wearing something different from her graduation dress, just doing general portraits around campus. My plan is to return to campus after graduation for more shots in the cap and gown.

My advice to add to the list is see if your student will agree to an early campus visit on the weekend. That's been our "go to" for campus walks since the place is pretty deserted then.

Unfortunately I won't have an assistant along, so we will have to muddle through on our own. I've been saving pose ideas from Pinterest and local photographer websites to give us ideas.

One of my biggest challenges is that the "money shot", pose in front of the school sign and columns is backlit in the afternoon. We will try early in the morning but if I don't like what we get I will stick around until late in the day and try for the golden hour. We live 2 hours away so I would prefer not to stay too late, but will if I need to.

Thanks for the reminder on friends. I will remind her to ask if some friends want to show up for a few group shots. We had talked about that but haven't set anything up.

We had a ton of fun doing high school senior photos, even did a full series of the 4 seasons. So I'd like to do something memorable for college but haven't had a lot of inspiration yet.

IMG_9985.jpg IMG_2289-2.jpg IMG_8655.jpg IMG_9442.jpg

Thanks Mark. You did a lovely job with that. Add to the fact that I love when backlight leaves a halo around the hair in portraits.

I have tried that shot though in the backlight and haven't been super happy with my result, even after working with it in post. I will say though that I'm not very advanced with my edits. I probably need to learn how to spot edit. I don't have Photoshop, just my old Lightroom 5. And no reflectors. Wouldn't help if I did since I don't have an assistant to hold one for me.

Great photos, guys. I got some HS graduation portraits of my kids in their work environment that came out nice, and were what they used for their yearbooks. (Professional photographer required by school scheduled them for mid-day photos on the beach and they were awful. Sun was too strong.)

Unfortunately neither of my kids had a college graduation ceremony as they were Class of 2020 🧻, right during the start of Covid. My daughter also missed a nurse’s pinning ceremony (which is a way that new nurses are welcomed into the profession by seasoned nurses) so we did our own down at a local lighthouse, and those came out nice, as well.

I'm preparing for my graduation photo shoot tomorrow, so I thought I'd share my gear checklist and why I'm bringing each item.

Camera: Canon R5. It's the best camera I have and it's good for a shoot like this. Normally, I would bring along a second camera as a backup, but I'm in the process of switching between EF lenses and RF lenses and this is the only RF body I have. I don't like not having a backup, but it is what it is.

Wide Lens: Canon 15-35mm f/2.8. I doubt that I'll use this lens much for what is essentially a portrait shoot. My subject wants to do a group shot with some friends. Even then, I probably won't use this for most of the group shots. I do think it would be fun to take a shot from really low with a really wide lens with the group towering over the camera looking larger than life. That's the only shot I anticipate using this for, but it could also bail me out if we have to shoot in a really cramped space for some reason or if I have any other creative ideas for ultra-wide shots.

Standard Lens: Canon 28-70 f/2.0. This will probably be my main lens for group shots - subject and friends, subject and parents, subject and boyfriend, etc. Also, it will get a lot of use for shots of my subject in context with her surroundings. Historically, I'd prefer to bring a few primes (24mm, 50mm, 85mm) to cover these shots, but this lens is fast enough and sharp enough that I don't feel it is necessary. The downside is that it probably weighs about as much as those lenses combined.

Telephoto Lens: Canon 70-200 f/2.8. This is the lens I'll use when I want to isolate my subject and get some compression. For example, she wants some garden shots, so I expect to use it there to draw the flowers closer to her and each other. It could also be useful to shoot in fairly crowded areas because it reduces the field of view.

Portrait Lens: Canon 85mm f/1.2 DS. The prior lens already covers this range and it's a really nice lens, but this is my favorite lens. It takes gorgeous pictures and will allow me to get shots with incredibly shallow DOF. That gives me extra flexibility for getting some shots with the best lighting because I can select my location based on the light without worrying about the background.

Lights: Two Canon 600EX-RT flashes. One of these will be used almost exclusively as a trigger for the other, but there are occasionally times when I might want to bounce it off of something to add a little more light from a different angle, so I prefer having it rather than just using a dedicated remote trigger. The other will be used in an EzyBox (24"x24" softbox). My wife will be working as a VAL (voice activated lightstand), holding the flash and softbox. She's good at knowing how to best angle the light.

Gels: I have a collection of gels (colored strips of cellophane) that attach to a velcro strap on the flash. When I use them, 95% of the time I'm using a 1/4, 1/2, or full CTO (orange) gel to match the sunlight later in the day or to even be a little warmer than my subject. On rare occasions, I'll use a different color for an interesting effect. Sometimes I like to use a yellow gel on my subject, then adjust the white balance to neutralize it. The result is that it gives a very purple color cast to the background, which can be fun. Of course, it's easier to do that in post these days by selecting the subject, inverting the selection, and then adjusting the white balance.

Extension Tubes: Just heard from the subject that she wants a shot of her class ring. To get in really tight, I need one of three things - a macro lens, a close-up filter, or extension tubes. I don't want to bring yet another lens, so that rules out the macro. I'll either use a close-up filter (like reading glasses for your lens) or an extension tube (which moves the lens farther from the sensor allowing you to focus closer). To be brutally honest, I may go through the motions and take some shots like this and then take a few with my cellphone because I suspect that it will do just as well in this case because of it's deep depth-of-field advantage.

5-in-1 Reflector: Often this doesn't get used, but sometimes it is super useful. Sometimes there is no room in the shot to get a flash close enough. Sometimes I want another light source. Sometimes I want to use the black part to drain light from one side of my subject. Sometimes I want to use it to diffuse the light. It's very light and very versatile.

Wagon: We use a fold-up wagon to haul my camera gear. It will also be used for the subject's outfit changes and probably for a small cooler because we're expecting temps over 90°F early in the shoot.

Filters: I'll bring along a few polarizers and ND filters. The former are good to knock down some reflections or glare and to enhance the sky. The ND filters are sometimes required to shoot with a wide open aperture in really bright light. In some weird circumstances it can also be handy when shooting in really low light because the lowest power setting on the flash can be too bright for the ambient light. I think that was more of a problem with older flashes, but it's one of those things that still worries me from bad past experiences where I really wanted to use light from a flash but I couldn't get it dim enough.

Batteries: I'll bring three camera batteries. Normally, I'd bring two, but mine are getting old and so I'm more comfortable with three. I'll also bring a ton of batteries for the flashes. Each flash takes 4 AA and the main flash will be attached to a battery pack that holds 8 AA. I wonder if you can get lithium ion packs these days. As the AA batteries get warm and get used, the refresh time gets longer, so I like to have the ability to swap out the 8 batteries in the battery pack a couple of times. Some people are surprised that this is more of an issue during the brighter hours and becomes less of an issue as the sunlight gets dimmer. What they miss is that you are using the flash to accent the ambient light, not to replace it. When it is bright outside, you need more light to do that. As it gets dimmer outside, you don't need nearly as much light from your flash.

Shot list: The subject has prepared a rough shot list and location guide. It's good to work through those in advance to plan better. For example, she wanted to do the shoot in 2 hours and the location list she gave me required about an hour to walk from start to finish. I told her we were either going to have to be very quick at each location, reduce the locations, or increase the time. She opted to increase the time. It's also good to have as a checklist so that you don't miss any shots that your subject wants. It's easy for everyone to forget in the middle of the action, especially when you're frantically dealing with the problems that inevitably crop up.

Confetti. No. I hate confetti shots. They rarely come out as planned, so you have to take a bunch of them. And each one makes an awful mess that is almost impossible to clean up. I had one subject do it anyway, but she bought two huge plastic painters cloths so that we wouldn't leave a bunch of glitter litter on her campus. I told tomorrow's subjects that we'd shoot her going through the motions and figure out a way to add the confetti in post. And if it didn't work, we'd reshoot it in an controlled environment this summer.

Post: This is a tough one. We won't get home from the shoot until late on Saturday night and I'm leaving the country late on Sunday night. That means doing all of the post production work on Sunday morning. Ugh. I hope my son remembers moments like this when I'm old and need his help at inconvenient times.

A few other thoughts:

Yes, even after doing this for years, I still get nervous. While it is just another photoshoot for me, it is a very special occasion for my subject and I would hate to not do a good job.

Having an assistant is invaluable. While her main job is holding the light where and at what angle I want it, she also does much, much more. She watches for stray hairs or clothing issues. She keeps the subject entertained. She catches things I miss. Mainly, she allows me to focus on getting the pictures and not worry about everything else.

Not sure if I'll bring my remote controlled fart machine. I never do a shoot with kids without bringing because it is the best thing ever invented for making kids smile. Not sure how well it will work for college kids.

I warned my subject about the heat. I know nothing about makeup, but I wanted to make sure that she understood we'd be fighting sweat issues all evening. It's not just hot here, it is super humid. The climate is fairly similar to Orlando. Ugh. Glad I'm leaving town soon.

@MarkBarbieri Your timing on this is perfect. I'm hoping to visit my daughter's campus this weekend to take some senior photos (as opposed to actual grad photos). She'll be wearing something different from her graduation dress, just doing general portraits around campus. My plan is to return to campus after graduation for more shots in the cap and gown.

My advice to add to the list is see if your student will agree to an early campus visit on the weekend. That's been our "go to" for campus walks since the place is pretty deserted then.

Unfortunately I won't have an assistant along, so we will have to muddle through on our own. I've been saving pose ideas from Pinterest and local photographer websites to give us ideas.

One of my biggest challenges is that the "money shot", pose in front of the school sign and columns is backlit in the afternoon. We will try early in the morning but if I don't like what we get I will stick around until late in the day and try for the golden hour. We live 2 hours away so I would prefer not to stay too late, but will if I need to.

Thanks for the reminder on friends. I will remind her to ask if some friends want to show up for a few group shots. We had talked about that but haven't set anything up.

We had a ton of fun doing high school senior photos, even did a full series of the 4 seasons. So I'd like to do something memorable for college but haven't had a lot of inspiration yet.

View attachment 756425 View attachment 756421 View attachment 756422 View attachment 756423

These seasonal shots are great! I remember seeing them a couple years back.
I'm preparing for my graduation photo shoot tomorrow, so I thought I'd share my gear checklist and why I'm bringing each item.

Camera: Canon R5. It's the best camera I have and it's good for a shoot like this. Normally, I would bring along a second camera as a backup, but I'm in the process of switching between EF lenses and RF lenses and this is the only RF body I have. I don't like not having a backup, but it is what it is.

Wide Lens: Canon 15-35mm f/2.8. I doubt that I'll use this lens much for what is essentially a portrait shoot. My subject wants to do a group shot with some friends. Even then, I probably won't use this for most of the group shots. I do think it would be fun to take a shot from really low with a really wide lens with the group towering over the camera looking larger than life. That's the only shot I anticipate using this for, but it could also bail me out if we have to shoot in a really cramped space for some reason or if I have any other creative ideas for ultra-wide shots.

Standard Lens: Canon 28-70 f/2.0. This will probably be my main lens for group shots - subject and friends, subject and parents, subject and boyfriend, etc. Also, it will get a lot of use for shots of my subject in context with her surroundings. Historically, I'd prefer to bring a few primes (24mm, 50mm, 85mm) to cover these shots, but this lens is fast enough and sharp enough that I don't feel it is necessary. The downside is that it probably weighs about as much as those lenses combined.

Telephoto Lens: Canon 70-200 f/2.8. This is the lens I'll use when I want to isolate my subject and get some compression. For example, she wants some garden shots, so I expect to use it there to draw the flowers closer to her and each other. It could also be useful to shoot in fairly crowded areas because it reduces the field of view.

Portrait Lens: Canon 85mm f/1.2 DS. The prior lens already covers this range and it's a really nice lens, but this is my favorite lens. It takes gorgeous pictures and will allow me to get shots with incredibly shallow DOF. That gives me extra flexibility for getting some shots with the best lighting because I can select my location based on the light without worrying about the background.

Lights: Two Canon 600EX-RT flashes. One of these will be used almost exclusively as a trigger for the other, but there are occasionally times when I might want to bounce it off of something to add a little more light from a different angle, so I prefer having it rather than just using a dedicated remote trigger. The other will be used in an EzyBox (24"x24" softbox). My wife will be working as a VAL (voice activated lightstand), holding the flash and softbox. She's good at knowing how to best angle the light.

Gels: I have a collection of gels (colored strips of cellophane) that attach to a velcro strap on the flash. When I use them, 95% of the time I'm using a 1/4, 1/2, or full CTO (orange) gel to match the sunlight later in the day or to even be a little warmer than my subject. On rare occasions, I'll use a different color for an interesting effect. Sometimes I like to use a yellow gel on my subject, then adjust the white balance to neutralize it. The result is that it gives a very purple color cast to the background, which can be fun. Of course, it's easier to do that in post these days by selecting the subject, inverting the selection, and then adjusting the white balance.

Extension Tubes: Just heard from the subject that she wants a shot of her class ring. To get in really tight, I need one of three things - a macro lens, a close-up filter, or extension tubes. I don't want to bring yet another lens, so that rules out the macro. I'll either use a close-up filter (like reading glasses for your lens) or an extension tube (which moves the lens farther from the sensor allowing you to focus closer). To be brutally honest, I may go through the motions and take some shots like this and then take a few with my cellphone because I suspect that it will do just as well in this case because of it's deep depth-of-field advantage.

5-in-1 Reflector: Often this doesn't get used, but sometimes it is super useful. Sometimes there is no room in the shot to get a flash close enough. Sometimes I want another light source. Sometimes I want to use the black part to drain light from one side of my subject. Sometimes I want to use it to diffuse the light. It's very light and very versatile.

Wagon: We use a fold-up wagon to haul my camera gear. It will also be used for the subject's outfit changes and probably for a small cooler because we're expecting temps over 90°F early in the shoot.

Filters: I'll bring along a few polarizers and ND filters. The former are good to knock down some reflections or glare and to enhance the sky. The ND filters are sometimes required to shoot with a wide open aperture in really bright light. In some weird circumstances it can also be handy when shooting in really low light because the lowest power setting on the flash can be too bright for the ambient light. I think that was more of a problem with older flashes, but it's one of those things that still worries me from bad past experiences where I really wanted to use light from a flash but I couldn't get it dim enough.

Batteries: I'll bring three camera batteries. Normally, I'd bring two, but mine are getting old and so I'm more comfortable with three. I'll also bring a ton of batteries for the flashes. Each flash takes 4 AA and the main flash will be attached to a battery pack that holds 8 AA. I wonder if you can get lithium ion packs these days. As the AA batteries get warm and get used, the refresh time gets longer, so I like to have the ability to swap out the 8 batteries in the battery pack a couple of times. Some people are surprised that this is more of an issue during the brighter hours and becomes less of an issue as the sunlight gets dimmer. What they miss is that you are using the flash to accent the ambient light, not to replace it. When it is bright outside, you need more light to do that. As it gets dimmer outside, you don't need nearly as much light from your flash.

Shot list: The subject has prepared a rough shot list and location guide. It's good to work through those in advance to plan better. For example, she wanted to do the shoot in 2 hours and the location list she gave me required about an hour to walk from start to finish. I told her we were either going to have to be very quick at each location, reduce the locations, or increase the time. She opted to increase the time. It's also good to have as a checklist so that you don't miss any shots that your subject wants. It's easy for everyone to forget in the middle of the action, especially when you're frantically dealing with the problems that inevitably crop up.

Confetti. No. I hate confetti shots. They rarely come out as planned, so you have to take a bunch of them. And each one makes an awful mess that is almost impossible to clean up. I had one subject do it anyway, but she bought two huge plastic painters cloths so that we wouldn't leave a bunch of glitter litter on her campus. I told tomorrow's subjects that we'd shoot her going through the motions and figure out a way to add the confetti in post. And if it didn't work, we'd reshoot it in an controlled environment this summer.

Post: This is a tough one. We won't get home from the shoot until late on Saturday night and I'm leaving the country late on Sunday night. That means doing all of the post production work on Sunday morning. Ugh. I hope my son remembers moments like this when I'm old and need his help at inconvenient times.

A few other thoughts:

Yes, even after doing this for years, I still get nervous. While it is just another photoshoot for me, it is a very special occasion for my subject and I would hate to not do a good job.

Having an assistant is invaluable. While her main job is holding the light where and at what angle I want it, she also does much, much more. She watches for stray hairs or clothing issues. She keeps the subject entertained. She catches things I miss. Mainly, she allows me to focus on getting the pictures and not worry about everything else.

Not sure if I'll bring my remote controlled fart machine. I never do a shoot with kids without bringing because it is the best thing ever invented for making kids smile. Not sure how well it will work for college kids.

I warned my subject about the heat. I know nothing about makeup, but I wanted to make sure that she understood we'd be fighting sweat issues all evening. It's not just hot here, it is super humid. The climate is fairly similar to Orlando. Ugh. Glad I'm leaving town soon.

Good luck with the shoot. My daughter graduates from Clemson a week from today so I'll be there with my camera gear.

Of course I did her high school grad pictures. Time flies.

DSC02282-X2.jpg

DSC02300-X2.jpg

DSC02256-X2.jpg

Last edited:

A few other thoughts:

Are you shooting grad portraits for a variety of kids? Or are you shooting the ceremony? That's hard core and I bow to your greatness! 😁

I did make it to campus last weekend. Early morning was OK but not amazing. It was pretty cool and windy and the sun was strong. We did what we could then decided I would hang around until evening and try some in cap and gown with her best friend. It was STILL windy but tons of people were out doing photo shoots. I thought of you when I passed one setup with professional lights set up out in the quad.

The wind was quite an obstacle. Between the long hair, the tassel, the stole and the gown, it got quite comical at times.

I still have some shots I want to get, but it was fun to get started.

From our morning session:

IMG_9276.jpg IMG_9080.jpg
IMG_9237.jpgIMG_9250.jpg

Then cap and gown later that evening:

IMG_9499.jpg IMG_9393.jpg

IMG_9377.jpgIMG_9541.jpg

These seasonal shots are great! I remember seeing them a couple years back.

Good luck with the shoot. My daughter graduates from Clemson a week from today so I'll be there with my camera gear.

Of course I did you high school grad pictures. Time flies.

DSC02282-X2.jpg

DSC02300-X2.jpg

DSC02256-X2.jpg
You did an amazing job on those! I hope you'll share your college grad photos. Congratulations to her!

Are you shooting grad portraits for a variety of kids? Or are you shooting the ceremony? That's hard core and I bow to your greatness! 😁

Mostly just pictures of my son's girlfriend. She wants some friends to join in for some shots. She also said one friend wants a few head shots. Not doing the ceremony. That's not for another week, I think. Believe it or not, I've never been to a college graduation ceremony and mine is the only high school one I've been to. I'm not a big fan of long, boring ceremonies.

Mostly just pictures of my son's girlfriend. She wants some friends to join in for some shots. She also said one friend wants a few head shots. Not doing the ceremony. That's not for another week, I think. Believe it or not, I've never been to a college graduation ceremony and mine is the only high school one I've been to. I'm not a big fan of long, boring ceremonies.
Some of these ceremonies are indeed really long and really boring. It varies a lot. This is our 6th graduation ceremony in the last 12 years so I'm pretty experienced at it by now. I graduated college early and didn't go back for mine, so I didn't have experience with that until my kids graduated. I thought this would be our last until my daughter decided to start grad school in the fall. One more still after this apparently.

Regardless, all of these ceremonies are different. The one for my for my son at the small 1600 student college was the longest. I suppose because they didn't split it up, and in fact combined it with a nearby nursing school. The one at a mid-size engineering school wasn't as bad because they split it all up by discipline. This one is our first at a really large school (state flagship) but they're running separate ceremonies for different majors all weekend.

I'll be very curious to hear about your experience. I hope you'll share more photos.

This one is location-specific, maybe to Florida, Virginia, California, and Texas: rocket launches.

The best photos are usually taken close to the launch site but that also usually involves travel and rocket launches are notorious for delays and postponements. As an example I am preparing to photograph a launch that was set for 7:30 pm Thursday, then 8:26 pm, then Friday, then 2 am Saturday, then 8:30 pm Saturday, now Sunday. Fortunately my travel is only 1 mile. ;)

A photographer who does a lot of this notes "expose for the flame". Anything else will almost surely overexpose the flame into featureless white. Still, to get the rocket itself we may have to accept some frames with less than optimum flame.

The best photos are taken at dusk when we can still see some scenery but it is dark enough to make the flames stand out.

If we are lucky enough to be near the launch site then a normal or medium telephoto lens may work. Other than that (except for a photo of the entire launch arc) we will want the longest lens we have. I am about 140 miles from Canaveral so I usually use a 100-400 and still have to crop a lot. Btw, at that distance we will only begin to see the rocket when it is about 1 mile up due to the Earth's curvature.

If we are at the beach we can sometimes see the SpaceX boosters firing the retro rockets to prepare for landing on the recovery barges.

Exposure: The combination of fast shutter, long lens, night sky does not go well. ISO depends on the light but we usually need high ISO, maybe 8,000+ high for night launches. As an example one of these was: 1/800, f/6.3, ISO 10,000. Daytime launches are not as spectacular although a big rocket can still be easily seen. There is not much time to adjust things, from first sight to only smoke trails was less than two minutes

Trajectory: sometimes the launch is in our direction, sometimes not and then it is difficult to get much. Rocket Monkey (below) has a link to a site that often shows the trajectory. If we happen to be at WDW the launch site at Canaveral is only about 60 miles away. Most rockets head East or NE but we should still get a good view for awhile.

One of the fun moments is when the booster stage cuts out and drops off. There may be a moment without flames and we can expose for the rocket and maybe get the boosters separating.

Rockets are not all the same size. The most common, Falcon 9 is a medium size rocket and depending on the payload can put on a good show. Falcon Heavy is three Falcon 9s and really lights up the sky plus we have three boosters dropping off. Heavy launches are fairly rare, maybe two or three in 2023. NASAs Space Launch System (SLS) is BIG but the next one is scheduled for 2024. All of these launch from Canaveral. SpaceXs Starship is even bigger but has yet to survive a launch. This one only launches from Texas for now.

Websites: https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/ The Rocket Monkey knows when and where the launches will be. ;)falcon_heavy_P4304316.jpgspaceforce_P1154199.jpgboosters_P1154235.jpg

Attachments

• launch_P4304280.jpg
    launch_P4304280.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • launch_P4304389.jpg
    launch_P4304389.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

A few other thoughts:

For future shoots, judging from all my years with high schoolers and Boy Scouts I think even college kids would have a hard time not grinning at a fart machine sound! Plus there are tons of funny sounds on the net that could be played from your phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter