How to know if someone is vaccinated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is a teacher and her school district requires a doctor's note after 2 days of being absent:sad2: Can you imagine treating professionals like children?
I can one up this. I used to work in the office of a manufacturing plant and went to work despite feeling iffy during my morning drive. By mid day I wasn't getting better so told my boss I was going to leave early. He made me follow plant protocol which is to go see the on site nurse before being excused sick. This was for a salary position where I was working 50+ hours a week and would have still been well over 40 hours despite leaving early. I had an hour drive back home ahead of me and the nurse trip delayed me another 45 minutes. 😒

Lesson learned: I never went to work feeling even slightly sick again.

Note: My sickness mentioned above is related to a chronic digestive condition so not something contagious. I don't go to work with the flu.

I think it comes down to we just don't know/won't know. We're waiting until our kids (11 & 7) can get vaccinated, and then I will feel okay about letting down our guard-until then, I'll continue to mask up and avoid taking my kids into stores, restaurants, etc...

HIPPA: The new & improved privacy act where you don't have to tell your doctors anything when you're at their office!

It's like when Johnny Tightlips got shot on The Simpsons"

"Johnny! Where did they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nothin'!"
"What am I gonna tell the doctor?"
"Tell him to suck a lemon!"

This is where HIPAA comes into play with businesses asking vaccination status. Anyone can say they are vaccinated, they can even fake vaccination cards. Unless the business is willing to then check for proof, then asking is worthless. That verification would require the person to have signed a HIPAA waiver with the keeper of that vaccine info to allow that info to be given to that specific business. I suppose they could change the wording to “any business that requests it” but I seriously doubt that would fly.
Or you could have doctors provide documentation, just like vaccination records for school. Not that I think it will ever happen. This is a temporary situation and it will soon pass.

I never personally known anyone with that scar. My parents don't have one, nor do any relatives. I wonder how many people actually got that vaccine.

I think it depends on how/where it was administered. My friend has one, but he was born in Mexico and they were still doing that when he was young. It actually might have been polio rather than smallpox, but he's got the inection gun mark.

Can an employer still require a doctor’s note or is sick leave strictly on the honour system?
When I was at the insurance company there was no sick pay, It was all PTO. In any case a doctor's note could never be used. When I got bronchitis from working at that building my doctor did give me a note because he felt it was prudent. The insurance company didn't care why you were out because PTO was a don't ask don't tell if it was available good if it wasn't available bad.

On the other hand company policy was they could ask you for proof you were using bereavement leave (5 days per qualifying death). While I was at the insurance company I used bereavement leave twice, first time I had one supervisor and did not ask nor want proof, second time different supervisor and he required proof.

I have the small pox scar. I am in my early 50s and the shot wasn't required at the point that I got it, but we lived in the country and had well water, so my mother decided to get it for me for that reason.

I never personally known anyone with that scar. My parents don't have one, nor do any relatives. I wonder how many people actually got that vaccine.

Just about every American who attended public school before 1972. They were routinely given in school-based clinics, mostly when you entered first grade, but they checked for scars on older new kids and sent them to the clinic if their parents couldn't prove vaccination.

I just hope that one very positive thing that results from the year's nightmare is the elimination of the workforce culture/pressure to come to work when you're sick as some sort of "badge of honor" - or to send sick kids to school.

I had a boss once who made it clear that short of having gallons of blood shooting out our eyeballs, we had to be at work. It was awful, and the 30+ young people in our cubicle jungle were always sick. Blech. I had another job when I had 2 pre-schoolers and 10 PTO days off for the entire year - and had no choice but to go to work sick and send my kids sick - that or lose the job. And I worked 60+ hours a week, so it was never a work ethic issue.

Last year, pre-covid, our school district had a policy that kids HAD to be in school - anything more than 5 days out for any reason resulted in a "0" grade for days missed. A doctor's excuse was required for ANY illness. It was a nightmare, and again, sick kids in school all the time.

Hoping common sense prevails now. If you're sick, I pray employers will allow folks to be at home; and schools will allow kids reasonable time at home. Anyone see any changes to policy yet? I have heard our school district dialed back their policy for Covid and will leave it that way; and I now get to make sick policy - and my people know they can stay home if their sick with no penalty - but that was my rule before because I always thought spreading germs to others was yucky.

Last edited:
Please tell me you're joking or being sarcastic. I hope you don't think that's actually true.
There are two very pivotal cases before the courts here in Alberta where workers are suing the Workers Compensation system to have Covid contracted through work activities be included for coverage. There have been no decisions yet but if the workers win and WCB (Workers Compensation Board as it is called in Canada) must pay for lost wages due to applicable Covid cases, verification of vaccination will become extremely relevant for employers. A company's WCB premiums are rated on a whole bunch of things and claims-paid/lost-time incidents are a major factor. Employers should have the ability of assessing and mitigating their risk by knowing which employees are or are not vaccinated. I don't think mandatory vaccination is on the table, at least not at my particular company, but people should be required to disclose this information if asked.

I picture those huge round pins like they give out at Disney, the ones that say 1st Visit, It's my birthday, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter