How to find your passion? (Career/life questions and thoughts)

mawatcha

Mouseketeer
I don’t really know where to post this... here goes!

I feel a bit lost right now. Not unhappy, but restless in my current admin job at a children’s charity, and wondering what to do. I have a BA in Communication, mid-twenties, and enjoy working.

Additional background: worked in student services as tour guide/orientation leader during college, then Starbucks before joining charity a few years ago. I had hoped to receive more advancement opps/mentoring, but haven’t really had either in last few years.

I think my dream job would be working in hospitality at WDW, but I am Canadian, and know that there are a few roadblocks keeping me from that. Not to say it isn’t possible, but I am trying to be realistic.

For those who really enjoy what they do professionally, and perhaps keep a love of all things Disney in their thoughts, do you have any recommendations on deciding a career path and finding a sense of purpose?

Realize I’m asking some pretty broad, big questions here, but appreciate all responses.

MBTI. mbtionline.com
"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment was designed to help you better understand what makes you tick, how you relate to others, and how you can benefit from this knowledge in everyday life."

I think my dream job would be working in hospitality at WDW, but I am Canadian, and know that there are a few roadblocks keeping me from that. Not to say it isn’t possible, but I am trying to be realistic.
WDW mostly doesn't pay much. You'd be better off getting a good paying job in central FL, moving there and being able to afford to live comfortably and spend your off hours at the park as a guest. There must be plenty of charities/non-profits to work for in FL although those probably aren't high paying jobs.

Finding a career for your passion is easy: Figure out what you like to do, get better at it than anyone else and monetize it. :)

I guess I was a bit lucky I found my passion in high school, went to college with it in mind. I then got my first full time job, the pay sucked and I had to leave it. Spent two years back at my University working on my Masters and running youth programs in Japan and Korea, I grew and learned a lot. But I knew it's not where I wanted to be long term so I left that and went back to my passion. I have worked for that organization, in different locations and moving up to the point I am the Executive Director. I've put in 29 years with the organization plus another 8 years as a part time employee, so yeah I found my passion when it comes to employment. But my life passions include my wife and two boys; while I enjoy Disney a lot it's not a passion - it's a vacation. I am very happy to take our RV out and go camping. One day when the retirement bell rings I hope to be able to take that RV and go to WDW for a month! Until then I keep enjoying what I do and trying to make a difference to the families that we serve.

I don’t really know where to post this... here goes!

I feel a bit lost right now. Not unhappy, but restless in my current admin job at a children’s charity, and wondering what to do. I have a BA in Communication, mid-twenties, and enjoy working.

Additional background: worked in student services as tour guide/orientation leader during college, then Starbucks before joining charity a few years ago. I had hoped to receive more advancement opps/mentoring, but haven’t really had either in last few years.

For those who really enjoy what they do professionally, and perhaps keep a love of all things Disney in their thoughts, do you have any recommendations on deciding a career path and finding a sense of purpose?

Realize I’m asking some pretty broad, big questions here, but appreciate all responses.

My general answer to this is to find something you are good at that you can earn a decent living at. To me, passion is a strong word. My job fits my skill set and has given me tons of opportunities, however, passionate I am not.

But, the standard of living I have allows me to pursue things while I am not at work that I am passionate about, which is an acceptable trade off in my opinion.

I may not be as passionate about a job a I thought I was if I had to count my pennies and worry about covering expenses every month. That would get really old, really fast.

I'm in my mid 40's, I know only a few people that are truly passionate about what they are doing as far as careers.
The young adults I know are there are even less. Of those that are, one day they will be like the people in my age group- no longer passionate about what they do, but are able to find passion elsewhere in their lives. Using their career to afford a lifestyle that allows it.
I think the pp said it best- if you can't find a career that fulfills a passion, then use that job to give you opportunities too- that are more of a personal nature and not a career one.
You are young, you can explore more career options- take a few classes in things you are interested in, see if anything sets off a spark in you.

After living through the 2008 recession, I found my passion in working hard at the job I have and not taking for granted that I can quit and find another one that will be better.

25 years until retirement. I hope to stay at this job, which is NOT in my main degree field, until then and make the most of each day by being the best in my department so I don't get thrown out with the next round of lay-offs.

My real passion lies in things I don't get paid for, like my family and volunteer work. No matter where you work and how much passion you have, it's very likely that once you HAVE to earn a paycheck doing it, it won't be as fun as you thought it would be. Every job has it's pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. Find something you don't mind doing, and save the passion for your off-time.

After living through the 2008 recession, I found my passion in working hard at the job I have and not taking for granted that I can quit and find another one that will be better.

25 years until retirement. I hope to stay at this job, which is NOT in my main degree field, until then and make the most of each day by being the best in my department so I don't get thrown out with the next round of lay-offs.

My real passion lies in things I don't get paid for, like my family and volunteer work. No matter where you work and how much passion you have, it's very likely that once you HAVE to earn a paycheck doing it, it won't be as fun as you thought it would be. Every job has it's pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. Find something you don't mind doing, and save the passion for your off-time.

This is another great way to look at it. I think thinking about grass being greener in jobs that are in a more interesting field, etc. is normal, but I think finding a good job and making yourself invaluable is a great endeavor. And if you find a good job, with a good employer, giving it up for a feeling of "passion" may not be a good decision.

I am struggling with this, too...comes with turning "older" and still not feeling like I am where I want to be.

However, my career pays me well and allows me to have passions outside of the four walls of corporate-kingdom. That, I am passionate about.

I figure if I save enough from this career, at retirement (15 years!) I can then go into a career/job/etc. that FEEDS my passion, and not worry about the money.. That being, of course, something with Disney or travel or hotels, etc...

As was mentioned, pick a job you don't mind doing that makes you enough money to do the things you really enjoy. Extremely few people love their job. I like my job but would never do if it did not pay well. I write software that goes onboard satellites for NASA. Neat, but just a job.

Remember that even if you love your job it won't love you back.

I would not sweat in the least about finding your passion. Just find something you reasonably like doing that you can make money at and go with it. The finding your passion thing is nothing more than pop psycho babble motivational speaker nonsense. It's garbage. All those cooking shows where chefs talk about finding their passion. Yeah sure. The ones saying it aren't even in their kitchens on a regular basis any more. So much for that passion bucket huh? It's as garbage as that question the high school guidance counselor asks you in high school. What would you do if you had a million dollars and didn't need the money? The answer is supposed to be what you should do. But it's garbage. Speaking of garbage, if everyone got to do their passion there would be no garbage men. And you can insert any other crap job in its place.

I like how office space dealt with that nonsense.

What would you do with a million dollars.

Two chicks at the same time......
And what would you do with a million dollars.

Other than two chicks at the same time?
Nothing.

HAHAHA.

Totally agree with PPs. Doing what you're passionate about for a living is one thing, and doing what pays the bills and provides you work-life balance and benefits is a whole other thing.

I went to college for Hospitality Management and quickly learned that pay was abysmal and the hours were long and all over the place. I'd also have to move to a major city for any chance at advancement, and could not reconcile how to live in a major city on the wages the people in the hotel industry make. I scrapped the idea of working in that industry very quickly and went back to school for my MBA. I now working banking which is definitely not a passion of mine, but it's lucrative, gives me flexibility at home, and nice paid time off benefits to do the things I really am passionate about.

Fresh out of college, all I wanted to do was dive into a career. Now that I'm a little older, I can appreciate work-life balance and need a job that allows that flexibility. Keep that in mind as you age and have a family. Good luck!

Well said! I'm 45 and I'd found my passion in a job I loved in Communications about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the organization I worked for relocated to a state that I had no desire to ever live in, so I lost my job. Since then I have not been able to land another job in Communications, so I do the best I can on my free time--I have a Disney blog, Instagram account, and a Twitter account and photography is my hobby. Finding those outlets have really helped fill the gap and keep me sharp. Hopefully, I'll find something in Communications again sometime soon.

Good luck!

This.

A couple years ago my husband and I moved to CA for his literal dream job. He really enjoys what he does and the company itself, but even at his dream job there are issues, and it is still a job at the end of the day. Thankfully, his job (and mine as well) pay well, and that allows us to go to WDW and DL pretty much whenever we want. We also travel extensively around the U.S. because our jobs allow for a lot of flexibility regarding working remotely and are generous with vacation days.

For us, we're finding out that it's family, time, and loving where you live and not so much the dream job with the company. We do love our time consuming dream job and what we do for over 20 years now. It has had it's ups and downs for sure. We're just not loving where it took us to live. We miss our home State huge and the lifestyle we had there since we lived there for decades. Grateful for the company's opportunities. Yet on our death beds we're not going to say, wished we worked more or had more money. Find your happiness. Work to live, don't live for work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter