How Old is Too Old?

My mom is 85 and showing no signs of slowing down on Disney visits. Just got back last Friday from almost 2 weeks at WDW. And she has a magic key for Disneyland and does go a lot. Yes, we use a wheelchair (Disneyland) or scooter (Disney World), but as long as she wants to go and has fun, she is always welcome to go with me! We have met a woman a couple different times when she was there celebrating her 90 and 91st (or maybe 91 and 92) birthdays at Disneyland. This was pre covid, so I hope she is still around. Her birthday should be coming up again in November! We have also seen Peter Tu (the clapping man) many times at Disneyland and he is now in his 90s.

Actually, DM is a widow in her 70s and would love to go to the parks regularly if she could. She was one of those kids that experienced DL in the first year it opened. Anyone know of any senior groups in So Cal that do this that she could join?

I just returned from a DL trip with DD and her five-year-old and one-year-old. We had an amazing time. I shed tears in IASW -- couldn't believe I was sitting in the boat with my DGD. That's four generations of our family now who have enjoyed that attraction.

I plan to keep on going. It was super exhausting trying to keep up. I know I'll have to make adjustments -- take more breaks, skip some things -- but it's worth it.

Life goals. You look so happy!
I used to get soooooo mad at my sister when we were kids. Young me would be shocked and appalled to hear that we ended up being best buddies :laughing:

Can you stand more pics? We always try to get fun Santa pics at GCH. That year, we were walking down the hall from our room, on our way to the lobby, when these little kids spotted us and their eyes lit up and they got so excited. They loud-whispered to their parents, "The Elves!!! The Elves are here!!!" LOL. It made us happy. That second pic is me trying to do an impression of Will Ferrell.

24785113_10211004758614709_7829064813150522667_o.jpg
24831520_10211004728413954_8815085591946342091_o.jpg

Last edited:
I used to get soooooo mad at my sister when we were kids. Young me would be shocked and appalled to hear that we ended up being best buddies :laughing:

Can you stand more pics? We always try to get fun Santa pics at GCH. That year, we were walking down the hall from our room, on our way to the lobby, when these little kids spotted us and their eyes lit up and they got so excited. They loud-whispered to their parents, "The Elves!!! The Elves are here!!!" LOL. It made us happy. That second pic is me trying to do an impression of Will Ferrell.

View attachment 802925
View attachment 802926
Awww you guys are totally rocking the elf look. Honestly gives me hope for me and my sibling. Still in the fighting stage 😅

I had my first kid when I was 40 years old. I'd never been to DL but had always wanted to go, so when she was 5, I had the perfect excuse! Loved it and we've been pretty much every other year ever since. I'm now in my 60s and have been noticing that I am older than the vast majority of guests. I have no idea why, because DL is a great place for people my age IMO. I have no trouble getting around. I still love it and it never occurred to me that I'm "too old" or shouldn't he there based on someone else's opinion. Never even realized that might be someone's opinion until I saw this thread, TBH. That's the thing about being over 50, you give fewer and fewer F's about what other people think.

When I was in my 40s, I did offer to both my dad and my mom (who are 20 years older than me) to go with us and they both looked at me like I was crazy. I'm now the age they were at the time and can't wait for my next trip!

So just for fun, here's a picture from Nov 1973. I'm the one in the hideous orange bell bottoms and suede clogs 😂
Our first trip was l977, and I had those horrible polyester orange wide leg slacks too, LOL. I had a beige, orange, and green peasant top that I wore with it! Those were the days, LOL

When I worked at the park in the 80’s/90’s we had several “elderly” guests who attended the park almost everyday. It was literally a park for them…to wander the hub, enjoy the Main Street atmosphere…sit on a bench and tell stories.
We also had several couples who were in their 60’s+ that came in on Friday night to swing dance at Carnation Plaza Gardens (now the Royal Theatre). It was so fun to watch all of the couples!

Frank, the Porch Potato (IG) continues in that same tradition with coming in most days and posting up in a favorite spot. Love to say hi to him. Feels very nostalgic for me.

When I worked at the park in the 80’s/90’s we had several “elderly” guests who attended the park almost everyday. It was literally a park for them…to wander the hub, enjoy the Main Street atmosphere…sit on a bench and tell stories.
We also had several couples who were in their 60’s+ that came in on Friday night to swing dance at Carnation Plaza Gardens (now the Royal Theatre). It was so fun to watch all of the couples!

Frank, the Porch Potato (IG) continues in that same tradition with coming in most days and posting up in a favorite spot. Love to say hi to him. Feels very nostalgic for me.
I hope Frank is there when I’m there in a couple of weeks. I’m gonna stop and have a chat with him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter