How critical is it to stay on property in order to get Genie+ LL and ILL?

stardust190

Earning My Ears
I am traveling with a part of 10. We're looking into staying at Caribbean Beach, but my travel companions are thinking they might want to save a little money and stay off-site. We are going to be there August 24th and 25th - so a Sat and Sun - likely visiting MK and Epcot with no park hoppers. We want to ride the new rides - we haven't been since 2020 so Tron and Guardians are at the top of our list. Our friends have never been. I, of course, want to stay at a Disney hotel - its what we always do. They are finding places that are cheaper and keep asking about the benefits. How much will I regret not staying on property as far as being able to maximize the 2 days we have in the parks?

It's not important at all.

I'm going in June and savings boatloads of cash. Just put some of that savings toward Lightning Lanes and you'll have an amazing experience. You can get on Tron and Guardians no issue at all.

Are ILL available late into the morning/day? What about LL? We've got several kids with us and definitely want to minimize the time we spend waiting in line. Especially since we will only be in the parks for 2 days.

That time of year it should not be an issue. If it were during the current spring break time or a holiday period, it would be more advantageous.

Are there any other advantages of staying on property now? I know transportation to the parks. And early entry - though it is just not for our group.

The big difference is that ILL$ are available to onsite guests at 7AM. They are available to offsite guests (if there are still ILL$ remaining) at park opening.

VQ and Genie+ are available to all at 7AM.

I am "you" when planning, I want to stay on site or I don't really want to go. It's okay to say I want to stay on site go from there, having the transportation and early entry are enough for me to be happy staying on site.

I frequently stay offsite to save $$. Not a big deal as far as G+ and ILL go, that time of year is not a busy one. I had been looking at staying at ASMovies for a couple of nights in Sept, but the price of a Flamingo Crossing hotel with free breakfast and a few Ubers was quite a bit less. (Disney was $383 for the 2 nights and Fairfield Inn is $240.)

We always stay off-site and have never had a problem getting the rides we want - just make sure you know the rules/basics of using Genie+ to maximize your results (and contrary to what many people think, it doesn't require you to be on your phone all day or do loads of research - if you watch a couple Youtube videos that cover current rules so that you understand when you can book rides, you'll be fine).

We always stay off-site and have never had a problem getting the rides we want - just make sure you know the rules/basics of using Genie+ to maximize your results (and contrary to what many people think, it doesn't require you to be on your phone all day or do loads of research - if you watch a couple Youtube videos that cover current rules so that you understand when you can book rides, you'll be fine).
This. We also prefer offsite, for a variety of reasons.

I am traveling with a part of 10. We're looking into staying at Caribbean Beach, but my travel companions are thinking they might want to save a little money and stay off-site. We are going to be there August 24th and 25th - so a Sat and Sun - likely visiting MK and Epcot with no park hoppers. We want to ride the new rides - we haven't been since 2020 so Tron and Guardians are at the top of our list. Our friends have never been. I, of course, want to stay at a Disney hotel - its what we always do. They are finding places that are cheaper and keep asking about the benefits. How much will I regret not staying on property as far as being able to maximize the 2 days we have in the parks?
It might help if you list some of the options they are considering. I wouldn't worry about getting/not getting G+ or ILL's that time of year. At any time of year, it is possible to miss out on the 7am virtual queues. If so, you can try to the 1pm drops, and have a good chance of getting them, or just pay for the ILL's.

You can save quite a bit of money staying offsite. There are many VERY NICE offsite options that are better than the WDW hotels in many ways. There are also some dumpy offsite options too, and/or options that might be a trade-off of some kind.

A plus of staying onsite with a bigger group is that everyone can come and go to the parks as they please by bus. That is possible offsite, but a bit harder. It is especially helpful if everyone travels together in the morning.

Going to WDW with a large group that has different interests is like herding cats. In my experience, it is best to give them what they think they want. If you force them to visit WDW your way, they'll just hold that against you. Even though you know the wisdom of rope drop, and staying late, and everything else.

On the other hand, if they are happy to do something your way- like rope drop or eating somewhere fun, they will probably thank you for your expertise. There are just times when giving them their way = a smoother trip.

You can lay some ground rules, and try to explain the trade-off costs. With a group that big, it will be hard to do all the rides you normally do, but it can also be great fun filling a whole boat, and eating together. Two important rules are to have everyone (mostly) take bathroom and snack breaks together, or the day can get very chaotic.

There is also the consideration of how you will travel between WDW and the hotel. Free offsite shuttle buses are often a pain, because they don't come/go very often. Time is $ at WDW. If offsite, having a car or uber is better. Onsite, everyone can use the free buses/boats/monorail. In August, afternoon breaks are very helpful, so that might be one reason to stay onsite. Afternoon downpours are somewhat common.

Also, that time of year, you will do well to make sure everyone has plenty of water! Somehow, have plenty of water on hand at all times.

you should be able to do basically everything at MK even without early hours. i would rope drop jungle cruise as you won't be at a disadvantage to resort guests. you also need to check the halloween party schedule (when it comes out) as there could be a party and early close (but lower crowds) on your MK day. also offsite transportation to and from

epcot is a little more annoying because it's tough to get both frozen and remy (and sometimes even TT) as your second G+ selection, and you can't rope drop anything effectively. you may have to wait on a longer line or go at park close (but miss fireworks).

If you want the flexibility of some going back to the resort to rest, then onsite makes it so much easier. When we took teens, we liked onsite because they could sleep in and come later on the bus while others headed off for the morning. When you are offsite, you are basically all in the same boat. However, Uber didn’t exist back in our teen-trip days. 🤪😉

It's only important for ILL's, and even then it would only be important at busy times.

We were at Disney for the last week of December/first week of January with family, we stayed on site, family did not. By the time park open rolled around, most of the time ILL's for Rise & Guardians were already sold out for the day, so they never got one.

Now this was during a very busy holiday period, so i'm sure most times of the year you would be fine. The dates you refer too, i'd imagine you not have a problem. But I understand wanting to stay on Disney property.

If you are staying at CB for the skyliner, have you considered Pop to save some money?
They might like that.

Personally, I’d stay where I wanted and would encourage the others to stay where they wanted then just meet up.
Much less stressful than someone being resentful about it.

And it’s nice to have a little bit of personal space with the separate accommodations as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter