How cold is cold?

We were there 2 weeks ago, from SC for reference. I'm thin, cold natured, and absolutely miserable when I am cold, so when it was in the 40s at night, I wore jeans with leggings underneath, wool socks, tennis shoes, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and thigh length puffer over all. I also had a wool hat and knit gloves. :beach: But, I was warm! When we went right after thanksgiving, I froze my buns off with just a hoodie, so was not doing that again.

DH is almost 2x my size and decidedly not cold natured, but still needed a long sleeve shirt, hoodie, hat, and thin gloves on the coldest day/nights.

Short answer: definitely take layers!

Hi all! We’re headed to Disney World on Sunday and they’re calling for around 47 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I’ve read to dress in layers & wear a jacket. Probably a dumb question, but what kind of jacket are we talking? Like a sweatshirt with a windbreaker over the top or should I bring a puffer jacket? Thanks for your help. I think my brain is just on trip planning overload 🤪
I would be wearing my winter North Face coat and I live in PA. We've been there in the winter at those temps, and I was freezing. It was also quite windy.

It’s different at WDW than everyday life.

Imagine being tired (easy state to achieve at WDW), sitting down for dinner, then going outside waiting on outdoor ride line and then outside watching nightshow. You’re already cold and tired and now you still need to get back to your room. You’re gonna kiss your hat, kiss your scarf, kiss your gloves 😘😘😘 Or kiss the fact you have long sleeve under a tee shirt, and jacket on top. Maybe even all of them!

Also know how you deal with the cold. I was on a trip to WDW in December, and I was cold when others with me were not. I had purchased a packable jacket and a knit hat with little Mickey poms on it, and the last day I had both on.

A packable puffer jacket, rain coat, hat, and gloves. We went the week after thanksgiving and had similar temps, and I was able to fit everyone’s stuff in my backpack. Being able to put a raincoat over a puffer really adds warmth. For my one child who tends to run cold I also had her wear a hoodie.

We arrive tomorrow for 9 nights and I packed my ski jacket, hat and gloves along with a very warm fleece I have and wearing my cable knit DVC sweater on the plane. I HATE being cold, especially at Disney LOL
Hoping I don't have to wear them but if I do, and I have in the past, I am prepared.
I live in NY so I'm use to the cold but hate it.

Last edited:
A packable puffer jacket, rain coat, hat, and gloves. We went the week after thanksgiving and had similar temps, and I was able to fit everyone’s stuff in my backpack. Being able to put a raincoat over a puffer really adds warmth. For my one child who tends to run cold I also had her wear a hoodie.
Yes, I was going to say, I value warmth over fashion. Put a poncho on over everything. Helps hold body heat in.

We were once at WDW in early December and it was colder there than at home in PA. And yes it can be pretty miserable standing waiting for a show when you’re uncomfortably cold. (Your feet especially can get pretty cold if you’re not prepared.) Bring items you would normally want to have in those conditions. You can purchase some items onsite, but of course you’ll pay for the convenience.

I live in WI and am used to cold temps. We visited WDW in March one year and it was the wind that made us chilled to the bone. We did not have enough layers.

. I was just there last week and even though the temp was around 80, the AC in the buildings can get very cold and the wind was chilly as well.
On a recent visit the outside afternoon temps were nice, but the INDOOR spaces were AIR CONDITIONED. That surprised us a bit, as the AC was not at all needed, and it was often COLD.

This year we lucked out, most days we just kept our hoodies on all day, but it wasn't too bad at night. Other trips is has gotten very cold, and you don't really know what the weather will be. the forecast is often wrong, especially 3+ days out. Lots of times we were made to think we were going to get a 75+ degree day that ended up being 60.

It also depends how late you plan to out at night/early your morning starts. The world Showcase tends to be breezy.

One year we had to scrape frost off our card window every morning. Steam was billowing off the hotel pool in huge clouds!

If you are concerned about luggage space for your trip to FL, a few small items can be a big plus- like extra socks, inexpensive magic gloves, and a hat. Then just layer what you have if need be. You can also buy some items at WDW, but they charge $$. One year we saw a beanie we liked, but held off buying. The next day WDW was sold out of them.

One winter visit was especially cold, and - again - the weather did not happen as predicted. We were forced to layer up and wear our warmest clothes.

We had booked a dinner at Cali Grill, but absolutely could not wear the nice clothes we had packed for that night. It was VERY cold and windy. So we did the best we could, and I thought we looked alright until we got to the podium.

The couple in front of us was dressed to the nines. The CM looked at us as she said in a very loud voice, "Well it is nice to see SOME people still dress up to dine here!"

I was a bit flabbergasted, but we got to our table and our server was very nice. The best waitperson we ever had there! (about 7 years ago) I recall him inviting us to view the fireworks on the outdoor balcony, but also adding that the view from our table was just as good and much warmer.

I was at WDW in late November 2019 and arrived when it was 44 degrees! Since my jacket etc. was in our ME luggage I ended up buying a sweatshirt jacket and wearing that only one day (Anyone interested in an almost new Goofy sweatshirt :rolleyes:). Learned my lesson so wore a long sleeved shirt and packed a sleeveless puffer vest in my carryon for November 2022! We also had a freezing night at MVMCP one year; so cold many people who weren't dressed warmly enough actually left! As stated earlier LAYERS! LAYERS! LAYERS!

One winter visit was especially cold, and - again - the weather did not happen as predicted. We were forced to layer up and wear our warmest clothes.

We had booked a dinner at Cali Grill, but absolutely could not wear the nice clothes we had packed for that night. It was VERY cold and windy. So we did the best we could, and I thought we looked alright until we got to the podium.

The couple in front of us was dressed to the nines. The CM looked at us as she said in a very loud voice, "Well it is nice to see SOME people still dress up to dine here!"

I was a bit flabbergasted, but we got to our table and our server was very nice. The best waitperson we ever had there! (about 7 years ago) I recall him inviting us to view the fireworks on the outdoor balcony, but also adding that the view from our table was just as good and much warmer.
Yes, I wore jeans and the kids wore sweatpants to Cali Grill this last trip. It was 43 degrees out! I had not anticipated that!

I would go with the layers - regular clothes, sweatshirt over that, windbreaker over that. My puffer is waaaaay too huge and warm for 47! (That said, I might bring light gloves, because my hands tend to get cold.) Temperature is so relative - how you feel will depend a lot on where you're coming from.

1706914441022.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter