How cold is cold?

Planner2012

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We’re headed to Disney World on Sunday and they’re calling for around 47 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I’ve read to dress in layers & wear a jacket. Probably a dumb question, but what kind of jacket are we talking? Like a sweatshirt with a windbreaker over the top or should I bring a puffer jacket? Thanks for your help. I think my brain is just on trip planning overload 🤪

Hi all! We’re headed to Disney World on Sunday and they’re calling for around 47 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I’ve read to dress in layers & wear a jacket. Probably a dumb question, but what kind of jacket are we talking? Like a sweatshirt with a windbreaker over the top or should I bring a puffer jacket? Thanks for your help. I think my brain is just on trip planning overload 🤪
Bring your puffer lol better yet bring both. We had similar conditions a few weeks ago and normal layering wasn’t enough. If we spent more time indoors one could get away with it but because we end up spending so much time outside you’re just cold with no reprieve. We’re from the NE and we needed it. Standing pretty much still for 45 mins waiting for fireworks was ROUGH. Or if you do go with layering and a sweater and windbreaker bring some hand warmers, I think that would’ve gone a long way honestly.

Actually we’re there now. 1/29/24 leaving tomorrow
Today was the coolest we’ve been here since tues
Today was around 60 very sunny which felt warmer
I just had a hoodie with a lined jacket over I was forever taking the jacket on and off
Enjoy your trip. We had a great time

45f can be VERY cold, especially when breezy. It’s not fun when you’re tired in the morning or sitting to watch Fantasmic or Luminous outside at night.

We’ve started bringing thin hats, scarves and gloves. They don’t take much room and can make a big difference. That way some days (like in the 50s) we can get away with hoodies instead of winter jackets. In the 40s though? I’d go with the better jacket too.

47 isn’t too bad. We were there last year when it was low 30s and it was tolerable because we were moving and had warm jackets. I would bring hats and gloves, too. You might not need them, but if you’re standing around, you may wish you had them.

47 isn’t too bad. We were there last year when it was low 30s and it was tolerable because we were moving and had warm jackets. I would bring hats and gloves, too. You might not need them, but if you’re standing around, you may wish you had them.

I leave for Florida on Monday. Can't wait! Looks like my 2nd week will be warm, but I will have a few nights that are chilly like 47, but no 30ties this year, thankfully!

I brought my puffer when I was there earlier this week. It would start out the mornings in the 40s and gradually get into the 60s-70s in the afternoon, so I brought a bag to stuff the jacket in.

Layers will be key, especially when the sun is gone. It will feel cooler if it’s damp. I agree with light gloves and even a hat. Waiting for fireworks can be chilly as you’ll be standing in one place.

It also depends on what you are used to. We recently had a string of days in the low 50s and high 40s. We were wearing hoodies only. To be fair, we weren't spending more than an hour or two outside (working on the farm), but you get the idea. If you are coming from a warm climate, 40s will feel cold.

We did a few days with that type of weather last January - I ended up wearing jeans almost every day, layered with a t-shirt, thermal long sleeve, sweatshirt and puffer jacket and two pairs of socks. Hat and gloves. Bring a backpack! I would just peel things off as the day got warmer and then put everything back on when the sun went down. I was just there last week and even though the temp was around 80, the AC in the buildings can get very cold and the wind was chilly as well.

We have been there a few times when it dips into the low 40s (most recently 2 months ago). It feels colder than what the temp says (and I lived in Wisconsin for 12 years so I know cold). Definitely layers and I would do the puffer jacket. And bring a hat and mittens. We even shoved some toe warmers in our park bag for the nights we would be outside after dark for several hours. There were so many people wearing just a sweatshirt complaining about how cold they were.

This thread is a total hoot and half for me, because of the relativity that we all subject ourselves to with weather. I live in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin), you haven't experienced cold until you are walking 2 miles or sitting in Lambeau Field for 3 hours with full snow gear, goggles and heating assists and it still takes you 30 minutes inside a heated building to warm up. :)

But, yes, 45 degrees can feel cool and you need something with long-sleeves.

Last edited:
As someone from Georgia, that is cold. I'd bring the puffer and a hat and a scarf and gloves. You can always peel away layers if you get too warm.
This thread is a total hoot and half for me, because of the relativity that we all subject ourselves to with weather. I live in the upper Midwest (Wisconsin), you have experienced cold until you are walking 2 miles or sitting in Lambeau Field for 3 hours with full snow gear, goggles and heating assists and it still takes you 30 minutes inside a heated building to warm up
I've lived in Toledo Ohio where I had to walk to school in the snow (no kidding but it wasn't uphill both ways nor was I barefoot) and I've lived in Albuquerque NM where it also snows. I've also visited my son in Chicago during Christmas and there is nothing colder than the wind coming off that lake. Even the locals were only outside when they had to be and bundled up where nothing but their eyes showed. Even having lived and been in bitter cold, Florida in the 40s is cold enough to bundle up. I've also lived in the dessert in Saudi Arabia and Albuquerque is dessert and the winter nights in the dry dessert is cold as well.

I wear shorts when it's anything above 45 degrees and calmer winds. The FL sun has me removing any long-sleeve shirt by the time the temperature is above 50 degrees during the day (usually about 10 AM). Nights at the parks when waiting for fireworks is a different animal. Long sleeve comes back on if below 50 degrees (still wear the shorts/sneakers).

But, yes, 45 degrees can feel cool and you need something with long-sleeves.
🤣 I’ve gone whole winters just fine without a coat, with weeks of hi 35f and bouts of 10 and 20f highs.

Would not do the same at WDW. I’ve had enough experience with people in my party shivering and not enjoying themselves even with temps in the 50s. It is different circumstances than what’s often in daily life.

I agree with others to bring a puff jacket and hooded sweatshirt. Even thin gloves and a light hat will help.
How do I know??? One time I only brought my disney hooded sweatshirt and it got cold. I about froze in that thing. I also didn't pack a sweater or heavier top, and I borrowed my husband's sweater for the whole trip. You can't find a real heavy sweatshirt or hoodie on property, IMO. i looked everywhere on property They were all light weight. I guess just be prepared:) Florida's idea of warm clothes and our idea of warm clothes is different, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter