Hollywood Studios… Rope Drop RoR or Slinky?

What to RD with EMH

• Total voters
If you’re not planning on the ILL, then Rise should be your priority for rope drop. You can get a LL for Slinky, so Rise would be the major wait to try to cut down by riding it first (or just get out of the way). Just be careful about when you schedule your first LL - even at rope drop, the wait for Rise can be long, so you wouldn’t want to schedule your first ride super early after park open.

Rope dropping Rise can be a gamble since it sometimes is down (can happen with any attraction but seems a bit more frequent than others), so be prepared to pivot fast. Also if you aren’t in the very front of the RD crowd, you will still have a long wait. We prefer to jump in line at the end of the evening.

rise also takes so long to get through even if you're at the front of the line that you'll burn through a lot of quality morning time. if you rope drop SDD you should still have enough time to hit ToT and RnR with reasonable waits. though i guess you might not care as much about those with genie+.

but realistically the chances of both those rides being up at early open are pretty low so you may have your decision made for you.

I've always done Slinky, assumed the risk of it being down to start is lower. Line moves quickly at the start and you can easily knock out 1-2 other rides before official opening.

I've always done Slinky, assumed the risk of it being down to start is lower. Line moves quickly at the start and you can easily knock out 1-2 other rides before official opening.
Out of 4 rope drops this September, RotR was up every time and Slicky was down twice. I know it's not a wide enough statistic, might just be bad luck, but that's my experience.
I think since they've given up on some effects, RotR is a bit more reliable.

Heading on Monday to HS. Back and forth which to RD. I’ll be buying Genie but not ILL for Rise.

Do you have early entry? If not, both RotR and Slicky will have a very long line already when it opens for the general public.

I
Out of 4 rope drops this September, RotR was up every time and Slicky was down twice. I know it's not a wide enough statistic, might just be bad luck, but that's my experience.
I think since they've given up on some effects, RotR is a bit more reliable.

Do you have early entry? If not, both RotR and Slicky will have a very long line already when it opens for the general public.
Yea I do have early entry. It seems the general consensus is that Rise has a higher probability of having issues early on. I know it’s a crap shoot. Ill
Do one or the other. I’ll report back.

I

Yea I do have early entry. It seems the general consensus is that Rise has a higher probability of having issues early on. I know it’s a crap shoot. Ill
Do one or the other. I’ll report back.
Yes, but with G+ you have the chance to get Slinky, RotR is ILL only, so I'd go there.

Voted Rise mainly because our family enjoys it far more than Slinky. Our kids are grown (16-21). Slinky is fun and all but it's kind of a 'take it or leave it" ride for us. If we can snag a random G+ for it we're very happy though!

We were one of the first to RoR yesterday and of course it was down. Really tough to say if it going down is a terrible call if you are at the front of the pack. We got an anytime LL for any attraction and then waited in a slinky standby that was only about 30 mins. So you do have some risk rope dropping RoR. But I guess if you’re basically the first group or two through the scanner at rope drop it might not matter.

(All days may not be like ours was yesterday so ymmv on crowds)

I rope drop SDD and do RnR and ToT with pretty short wait times and then hop in line for Rise just before park close and wait in a shorter line when everything else is closed anyway. Even if I have to wait an hour, it's ok, the park is closed.

I rope drop SDD and do RnR and ToT with pretty short wait times and then hop in line for Rise just before park close and wait in a shorter line when everything else is closed anyway. Even if I have to wait an hour, it's ok, the park is closed.
Just be aware, they may shut down the standby line for Rise before the park actually closes. We ran into this last summer. I think we were a full 12 to 15 minutes before Park closing and the cast members would not let us or others in line. Needless to say, there were a lot of frustrated guests including us

Just be aware, they may shut down the standby line for Rise before the park actually closes. We ran into this last summer. I think we were a full 12 to 15 minutes before Park closing and the cast members would not let us or others in line. Needless to say, there were a lot of frustrated guests including us
Wow. Good to know.

I wonder if the ride was down? If not and I still saw them letting in LL people they would be getting an earful from me.

This is the only time I have heard of this happening. If the ride is up, Disney normally allows guests to join the queue right until park close. I anticipate something else was going on in the scenario above.

The first time we rode we joined about 5 mins before park close and the line was back to the tunnel but guests were still permitted to join and many more joined after us.

Personally, as long as the ride is operations, I would not be concerned with the scenario above happening on a regular basis. The bigger ‘risk’ of waiting until park close is the ride being down so not being able to ride. That happened to us 1/3 of the times we waited to ride until park close.

I wonder if the ride was down? If not and I still saw them letting in LL people they would be getting an earful from me.
This is the only time I have heard of this happening. If the ride is up, Disney normally allows guests to join the queue right until park close. I anticipate something else was going on in the scenario above.

The first time we rode we joined about 5 mins before park close and the line was back to the tunnel but guests were still permitted to join and many more joined after us.

Personally, as long as the ride is operations, I would not be concerned with the scenario above happening on a regular basis. The bigger ‘risk’ of waiting until park close is the ride being down so not being able to ride. That happened to us 1/3 of the times we waited to ride until park close.
Here's my post about it from last year. (Towards the end of my daily summary)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...g-park-hopping.3807247/page-892#post-64177345

Same here, but guests had been entering in front of us, and you could see them in the queue. The cast member made the choice to stop guests from entering the queue at least 12 minutes early. The ride was not down, it continued to run. Having been visiting WDW almost annually for the last 13 years, this was the first time it ever happened, but it did. I suspect the CM's either made an error and later got reprimanded... or some other event was happening later after hours that they needed the ride for? He basically said the ride was at capacity or some other similar language. There were around 4 CM's standing at the entrance and one was the point person saying they closed the standby line.

Take it for what it is, but just a word of caution. Knowing something like this can happen on Rise, although improbable, is enough for us. From now on if we plan to ride Rise at near park close we personally won't show up later than 30 minutes prior to park close.

Last edited:
We have never experienced that at any park on any vacation. I hope that was a one off thing and it was corrected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter