Holding points for early departure?

GrumpyInPhilly

DIS Veteran
I was @ SSR last week and departed a day early. When I went to book a future trip yesterday, I noticed one night's points in holding. I expected to just lose those points. Is this normal procedure when leaving early or did I get some pixie dust?

I was @ SSR last week and departed a day early. When I went to book a future trip yesterday, I noticed one night's points in holding. I expected to just lose those points. Is this normal procedure when leaving early or did I get some pixie dust?
In a week or two, you will probably notice they will come out of holding and back in as normal, bankable points. Pretty amazing really.

We just learned we should be home a day earlier next month and we are going to HHI. If I cancel now, I expect the one nights points will go into holding. Correct?

In a week or two, you will probably notice they will come out of holding and back in as normal, bankable points. Pretty amazing really.
We had to depart a day early in January due to winter weather back home. We let the front desk know (just so housekeeping could get in there and clean in case other guests needed an extra night). We were pleasantly surprised that we got the points back in holding. Our points just stayed in holding, though. It was easy to modify an upcoming spring trip within the 60 days to reallocate the points to use those holding points.

That is just to say that I don't think it's routine that those points will leave holding and revert to their normal state.

Either way, it was a very nice and unexpected bit of pixie dust for us!

pixiedust:

One trip I had to leave a day early. Points were simply forfeited.

Yes. Honestly. We didn't even ask for it. Had to rearrange our return flight earlier this year. Let the front desk know we would be checking out a day early. Voila!
Also pixie dust. Especially having them taken out of holding.

pixiedust:

One trip I had to leave a day early. Points were simply forfeited.
That has been our experience every time we have left early. Our worst case was having to return home on the second day of a planned week-long stay due to a family emergency. It’s no different than paying for a resort hotel room upon arrival.

This past June, I checked out of a Kidani studio at 3:30 the day before I was due to check out--this was planned, as we were moving to BCV but needed a place for the two-year-old to nap the afternoon of moving day....I was big-time surprised when those points went back into my account--I couldn't use them before they expired but I kept checking to see if they would disappear since I was (and am) pretty sure I was not entitled to get them back....they didn't disappear until 2/1--maybe DVC rules have changed on this? Next time I call MS I'll ask....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter