Help scrappers! I need an intervention!

capthooksmom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone.
I've been "collecting" scrapbook supplies for the last 4 years. I have enough paper to open my own shop. I have several CD's that make lovely clipart and font. I have eyelets and tools, chalk, die cuts, paper cutters, cute acid free pens, stickers galore, wire and shapers, coluzzles, glue dots, about 10 idea books, 4 boxes of pictures...Can anyone see where this is going?

I have a grand total of 4 pages in DS's scrapbook. (One page per year isn't really that bad, is it?) I'd like to say it's just because I don't have the time, but that's not it. I never know how to lay out the pages, don't know which paper is right for which picture, can't think of cute captions, yadda, yadda, yadda. If my pages don't look like the professionals, I don't think they're good enough. Why can't I see that the point of this is to preserve memories for my son and I'm doubtful he will critique my efforts.

While at Michaels today I was eyeing the Sizzix stuff. That's when I decided an intervention was necessary. I absolutely cannot buy any more scrapbooking materials until I have completed the first year!! Or will the Sizzix be necessary to complete this project? LOL
Help!
How do ya'll do it?

Have they given you the opportuinty to attend a workshop. I have found that I get my scrapping done when i go to a workshop-sitting around with a bunch of other people just scrapbooking.

If you have told the consultant that you are not interested in having a party then she should respect your decision.

Find another consultant, there are some really nice ones out there that believe in the mission of the company-teaching others how to preserve their memories. It's not all about the fancy paper and cute stickers. It's about giving your family something priceless.

Lorelai71 said:
Have they given you the opportuinty to attend a workshop. I have found that I get my scrapping done when i go to a workshop-sitting around with a bunch of other people just scrapbooking.

If you have told the consultant that you are not interested in having a party then she should respect your decision.

Find another consultant, there are some really nice ones out there that believe in the mission of the company-teaching others how to preserve their memories. It's not all about the fancy paper and cute stickers. It's about giving your family something priceless.

She didn't mention any workshops to me. I don't know how well I'd do in them because their books would be so much better than mine. I'd be ashamed. Of course it would be a good place to scraplift ideas. Honestly, though, the time I have is late at night or just the few hours DS is in preschool every morning, and I don't think the shop closest to me offers anything at that time. They do allow you to come work in the workroom whenever you want, but I still find it hard because I'm always looking for just the right thing. I end up buying more things that I haven't really used yet. I'll check again at the store near me and see if they're having any workshops that I can fit in.
Any ideas for getting going at home?

capthooksmom said:
She didn't mention any workshops to me. I don't know how well I'd do in them because their books would be so much better than mine. I'd be ashamed. Of course it would be a good place to scraplift ideas. Honestly, though, the time I have is late at night or just the few hours DS is in preschool every morning, and I don't think the shop closest to me offers anything at that time. They do allow you to come work in the workroom whenever you want, but I still find it hard because I'm always looking for just the right thing. I end up buying more things that I haven't really used yet. I'll check again at the store near me and see if they're having any workshops that I can fit in.
Any ideas for getting going at home?

Ooh, you have no idea what you are missing. Creative Memories consultants normally hold monthly workshops at their homes. Some people do them at firehouses, churches-anywhere they can get a space. They offer these workshops to their customers so that they can learn many different layouts and also to provide them with a space and time to scrapbook.

Don't worry about what your pages look like-think about if you had a book of wonderful childhood pictures and stories written by a mother/father/guardian etc, would you care if they used the right stickers or would you treasure what they wrote?

Call the company and tell them that you are looking for a consultant in your area that conducts workshops. Keep me posted on how it goes for you.

Also, don't buy anything untill you have used what you have!!!!

Also, many consultants are stay at home moms so some of them actually have workshops during the day.

The atmosphere at these workshops is that of sharing. Everyone supports each other-just like theses boards

Just do it!! Really! I had a friend who was a CM consultant so I have been collecting supplies for years, meaning to get started, and I was newly inspired by our recent trip to WDW and cruise. I don't have a lot of fancy patterned paper (not my style anyway) but I got going with some card stock and stickers and just kept going, one page at a time.

I scrap primarily late at night, at the dining room table with a dog at my feet. It's a nice calming time, when the noise level is at an all time low.

What I keep telling myself is that I need to do this for ME, and not make it look like anyone elses... (I have friends who are REALLY into embellishments). If I were to try to compete with other layouts, I'd be completely intimidated and give up entirely.... so focus on getting them down on paper and you can always work in the little extras later.

Here are my layouts: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/userprofile.asp?user_id=182770

I have all kinds of fun stuff as well, I find that I do much better if I scrap what I feel like at the moment. I don't worry about doing it in order because I use either top loading albums or the 3 ring binder kind of thing. I like to go to crops sometimes or have people over because it's fun to see what everyone is doing. :D I did go to a cm party...but the hostess was a tad bit cranky about my scrappin style so I have not gone again. Everyone has their own way of doing stuff. :D You could also look through the 2peas gallery, there is some great stuff in there. maggie

www.twopeasinabucket.com

bubbasmom99 said:
Just do it!! Really! I had a friend who was a CM consultant so I have been collecting supplies for years, meaning to get started, and I was newly inspired by our recent trip to WDW and cruise. I don't have a lot of fancy patterned paper (not my style anyway) but I got going with some card stock and stickers and just kept going, one page at a time.

I scrap primarily late at night, at the dining room table with a dog at my feet. It's a nice calming time, when the noise level is at an all time low.

What I keep telling myself is that I need to do this for ME, and not make it look like anyone elses... (I have friends who are REALLY into embellishments). If I were to try to compete with other layouts, I'd be completely intimidated and give up entirely.... so focus on getting them down on paper and you can always work in the little extras later.

Here are my layouts: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/userprofile.asp?user_id=182770

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed looking at your pages. I particularly loved the Boneyard and the Epcot Fountains. Don't be surprised if they get scraplifted hehe.
BTW your children are adorable!

Lorelai71 said:
Ooh, you have no idea what you are missing. Creative Memories consultants normally hold monthly workshops at their homes. Some people do them at firehouses, churches-anywhere they can get a space. They offer these workshops to their customers so that they can learn many different layouts and also to provide them with a space and time to scrapbook.

Don't worry about what your pages look like-think about if you had a book of wonderful childhood pictures and stories written by a mother/father/guardian etc, would you care if they used the right stickers or would you treasure what they wrote?

Call the company and tell them that you are looking for a consultant in your area that conducts workshops. Keep me posted on how it goes for you.

Also, don't buy anything untill you have used what you have!!!!
Are you a creative memories consultant? I'll check into the workshops and I will keep you posted. Thanks :flower1:

nicurn said:
I have all kinds of fun stuff as well, I find that I do much better if I scrap what I feel like at the moment. I don't worry about doing it in order because I use either top loading albums or the 3 ring binder kind of thing. I like to go to crops sometimes or have people over because it's fun to see what everyone is doing. :D I did go to a cm party...but the hostess was a tad bit cranky about my scrappin style so I have not gone again. Everyone has their own way of doing stuff. :D You could also look through the 2peas gallery, there is some great stuff in there. maggie

www.twopeasinabucket.com

A friend and I scrapped together a few times and it was really fun. She gave it up, though.

I recently found out that my new neighbor likes to scrap. We've been trying to get together for months now and let our kids play while we scrap, but so far no luck. I do think it helps to scrap with other people so you can bounce ideas off each other. Thanks for the encouragement :D

If you have an Archiver's store near you that also might be an option. I live in the chicago area and my Archiver's every Friday night has a scrapbook night where you just go and scrapbook with other people in this large room set up for just this reason. You bring your own supplies or you can use theirs. Go to www.archiversonline.com for more info. Creative memories is great too if you can find a group.

Also I know you you said you have all the supplies but I just found this seller on ebay that has pages already put to together and they are really cute you just put in the picture. Just put in "Disney Scrapbook" and scroll through the gallery pictures if you have a problem let me know and I"ll get the buyers ID for you.

Bubbasmom99:
Wow! Great Pages. You are very good!

Happy Scrapping!
Dawn

Find a friend! Find a crop! Just do it!

Seriously, we all started at this as newbies and developed techinques, styles, and what passes as confidence :blush: in what we do as time went by. Do we love every page we do? Heavens no! I just did one this week that I really don't like, but it got the job done and got me through that block and ultimately the photos are in place,the event is journaled and DS likes it - and that is who the book is ultimately for!

Too bad you're not in West Michigan you could come scrap with us!
Deb

Heehee, you sound like me. I have tons of stuff, but had a hard time actually scrapping. And I'm a CM consultant! :earboy2: I think the two keys are 1) finding your own scrapbooking style and 2) organization.

I started scrapbooking using the CM style and then decided I wanted to try doing the other beautiful elaborate LO's. But I discovered that those LO's with one picture and tons of embellishments (although gorgeous) just weren't me. KWIM? So experiment a little and see what you like and what you don't. And definitely DON"T be ashamed of your pages! Every scrapbooker I know loves looking at different styles and layouts, no matter how simple or elaborate.

If you find that you do prefer the CM style, find different consultant. I believe that a consultant is there to teach you to preserve your memories the way you want. NOT to pressure you into a sale! Most of my customers use only my tools, tape runners, stickers and that's it. But as long as their safely scrapping and recording their memories, then that's what's important to me. Anyway, off my soap box.

I think the other important key is to be organized. Do you have a place where you can leave out your tools and your album? If so, it will make it much easier to sit down for 15 minutes or so a day and finish pages. If not, that's not a big deal either. I think I would just set a time aside each week, say Sat nights from 8 to 10 or something.

For organizing all of my stuff (of which I have lots and lots, and not just CM sutff either) I use a storage tower that I got at Office Max. It has 2 smallish drawers, 2 medium and one large and I can fit all of my non CM stuff in it with my Sizzix on top. Then for all my 12x12 papers I have a rolling cart that holds hanging folders (I cut the bottom of the folders and taped on new bottoms so that they hold the full 12")

For organizing all of my pictures, I use a CM Power sort box http://www.creativememories.com/ProductCollection/ProductCollection.aspx?gid=0&igid=968 I love this! It holds up to 2400 photos and has 12 containers that can come out to take with you or reaareange. The top also has a pocket to hold all of your larger pictures or memorablia. It really is much easier for me to have my photos all in one place, ready to go onto a page.

Well, sorry about the book, but I hope that I've helped a little bit. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

PoohBearLovinMama said:
Heehee, you sound like me. I have tons of stuff, but had a hard time actually scrapping. And I'm a CM consultant! :earboy2: I think the two keys are 1) finding your own scrapbooking style and 2) organization.

I started scrapbooking using the CM style and then decided I wanted to try doing the other beautiful elaborate LO's. But I discovered that those LO's with one picture and tons of embellishments (although gorgeous) just weren't me. KWIM? So experiment a little and see what you like and what you don't. And definitely DON"T be ashamed of your pages! Every scrapbooker I know loves looking at different styles and layouts, no matter how simple or elaborate.

If you find that you do prefer the CM style, find different consultant. I believe that a consultant is there to teach you to preserve your memories the way you want. NOT to pressure you into a sale! Most of my customers use only my tools, tape runners, stickers and that's it. But as long as their safely scrapping and recording their memories, then that's what's important to me. Anyway, off my soap box.

I think the other important key is to be organized. Do you have a place where you can leave out your tools and your album? If so, it will make it much easier to sit down for 15 minutes or so a day and finish pages. If not, that's not a big deal either. I think I would just set a time aside each week, say Sat nights from 8 to 10 or something.

For organizing all of my stuff (of which I have lots and lots, and not just CM sutff either) I use a storage tower that I got at Office Max. It has 2 smallish drawers, 2 medium and one large and I can fit all of my non CM stuff in it with my Sizzix on top. Then for all my 12x12 papers I have a rolling cart that holds hanging folders (I cut the bottom of the folders and taped on new bottoms so that they hold the full 12")

For organizing all of my pictures, I use a CM Power sort box http://www.creativememories.com/ProductCollection/ProductCollection.aspx?gid=0&igid=968 I love this! It holds up to 2400 photos and has 12 containers that can come out to take with you or reaareange. The top also has a pocket to hold all of your larger pictures or memorablia. It really is much easier for me to have my photos all in one place, ready to go onto a page.

Well, sorry about the book, but I hope that I've helped a little bit. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

OK putting that link in there for yet another potential scrapbook purchase (which I loved, BTW) is like putting a tall, frosty margarita in front of an alcoholic :teeth:

You hit on some important things, here. I am also not a fan of the fussy layouts with tons of embellishments. I prefer the simple papers and layouts that have just the right embellishment to make you say "oooh, I like that." That is the look I'm trying to achieve. When I do something on my own, I usually just end up taking it apart because I'm not satisfied with the way it looks. I guess if I had to pick a style I like it would be Becky Higgins. Her layouts are similar to the look I'm going for.

I no longer have a space to leave my scrapping materials out. So, I usually say I'll scrap when I know I have enough time to finish what I started and I usually don't ever have that much time all at once. I like your idea for the paper. I have mine in an expandable file that's made for scrapbook paper, but it's a tight fit and hard to see at a glance what paper I have. I may try your idea.

I may also invest in a rolling cart. This might make it easier to quickly move my supplies from the closet to the table and back. I have a couple of totes and ziploc bags now, so this would be an improvement.

I looked up consultants by my zip code and there are now a few consultants who live near me (the other one was about a 40 minute drive from where I live) so it might make it easier for me to attend a workshop. I'm also thinking about letting DS stay for lunch bunch a few days a week so I can go to the scrapbook store that I love. You can work in their workroom and use most of the materials for free, and there are lots of layouts on the walls for inspiration.

BTW: when I looked up the consultants, some of them have "CON" listed under their titles (which I assume means consultant) and others have "UL". Can you tell me what the UL means?

Thanks again for the advice.

Anyone else with advice, please weigh in. I need all the help I can get :D

reineeos said:
If you have an Archiver's store near you that also might be an option. I live in the chicago area and my Archiver's every Friday night has a scrapbook night where you just go and scrapbook with other people in this large room set up for just this reason. You bring your own supplies or you can use theirs. Go to www.archiversonline.com for more info. Creative memories is great too if you can find a group.

Also I know you you said you have all the supplies but I just found this seller on ebay that has pages already put to together and they are really cute you just put in the picture. Just put in "Disney Scrapbook" and scroll through the gallery pictures if you have a problem let me know and I"ll get the buyers ID for you.

Bubbasmom99:
Wow! Great Pages. You are very good!

Happy Scrapping!
Dawn

I checked and there aren't any Archiver's stores near me, but I did see some good layouts. I bookmarked the site.
I also checked out the premade pages on EBay - now that's a creative idea!

BTW: my name is also Dawn

Hi Dawn!
Great name - Tee Hee!
Bummer about the Archiver's store if they ever come your way you are diffiently in trouble. I cannot walk out of that store without dropping some major cash. (That I don't have! Love those credit cards!)
Anyway did you see the pirate pages, I think I'll be bidding on it- it's just too cute. Anyway good luck in your search for the right club. By the way I also know some of my girlfriends go away for scrapbooking weekends. Some of the Bed and Breakfast's in the area throw them. Maybe there are some where you live. I would probaly google it and see.
Dawn

reineeos said:
Hi Dawn!
Great name - Tee Hee!
Bummer about the Archiver's store if they ever come your way you are diffiently in trouble. I cannot walk out of that store without dropping some major cash. (That I don't have! Love those credit cards!)
Anyway did you see the pirate pages, I think I'll be bidding on it- it's just too cute. Anyway good luck in your search for the right club. By the way I also know some of my girlfriends go away for scrapbooking weekends. Some of the Bed and Breakfast's in the area throw them. Maybe there are some where you live. I would probaly google it and see.
Dawn

I know I'm going to regret this, but.... pirate pages??? I'd love to see them, but am having trouble finding them. Can you post a link? Please? :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter