• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hawaii 2021 - covid test?

mmouse50

DIS Veteran
Does anyone think that you will still have to have a covid test to enter hawaii in the summer of 2021? I know it is a crystal ball thing, but Hawaii can't keep the tourist out forever can they?

I think they will require it, yes. Such as they have meaning. That 72 hour old negative is practically worthless.

But my problem is - the way the trip is wanting to be scheduled is Disneyland first and the Hawaii - will be in Disneyland for more than 72 hours prior to flight to Hawaii so COVID test at home would be useless. The Disneyland portion is to break up the flight time. Trying to do it coming home we decided we would be too tired to do Disneyland justice.

But my problem is - the way the trip is wanting to be scheduled is Disneyland first and the Hawaii - will be in Disneyland for more than 72 hours prior to flight to Hawaii so COVID test at home would be useless. The Disneyland portion is to break up the flight time. Trying to do it coming home we decided we would be too tired to do Disneyland justice.
Hawaii doesn't care about how you want to plan it, tho.

My hope is that by 2021 we will have abundant point of care testing. Everyone arriving from the mainland automatically gets a rapid COVID test in the airport. The rapid tests can give results in 15 minutes. They're not perfect, but IMO are more meaningful than a test taken three days ago with goodness knows what travel in between.

My hope is that by 2021 we will have abundant point of care testing. Everyone arriving from the mainland automatically gets a rapid COVID test in the airport. The rapid tests can give results in 15 minutes. They're not perfect, but IMO are more meaningful than a test taken three days ago with goodness knows what travel in between.
That would be a major deterrent to travelers, knowing that you could fly 10 hours & spend thousands of dollars just to get there, and after all that, still be rejected. Tourism won't resume under those conditions.

Testing before the flight is better, as positive people don't have to do the arduous travel & also won't infect others on the plane.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that you will still have to have a covid test to enter hawaii in the summer of 2021? I know it is a crystal ball thing, but Hawaii can't keep the tourist out forever can they?
I have a June trip planned & am counting on it being required, yes. I have mostly refundable reservations and good cancel for any reason travel insurance, just in case the testing doesn't work out for one reason or another (either results taking too long or a positive result). I scheduled our flight for a Friday, so the 3 days before would be weekdays, which I hope will help with test results being back in time.

If they change their policy to require testing upon arrival, though, I'll probably just cancel completely. We're not west-coasters. It's way too far for us to fly, and far too expensive a trip, for us to arrive in Hawaii only to be told, "Too bad, so sad."

I also expect masks to be required in public, etc. I'm not expecting all of this to be over by summer. I do expect Hawaii to be more open to tourists by then, though. They're financially devastated already, just after 4 months of this. I don't think they could withstand the economic fallout of staying locked up for 15 months.

Last edited:

Ugh I’m in this same boat, was planning on 3 nights in Disneyland then go to Hawaii in January..... don’t want to make plane reservations not knowing if we’ll be able to pull it off, but you have to make flight plans so far in advance 😩

If you're doing DL first, couldn't you just find a testing location near DL? It would be inconvenient, but seems like its not out of the realm of possibility. Though, I do agree with PP that it would be my preference to do Hawaii before DL anyway, both because of the testing requirement and also because its helpful for adjusting to the time difference coming back east. Its less of an issue on the way there.

That would be a major deterrent to travelers, knowing that you could fly 10 hours & spend thousands of dollars just to get there, and after all that, still be rejected. Tourism won't resume under those conditions.

Testing before the flight is better, as positive people don't have to do the arduous travel & also won't infect others on the plane.
Doesn’t have to be one or the other as the only option. I personally would like to see both offered. I’m usually working right up until the day I leave for vacation, so getting to a doctor for a test can be tricky leading up to a trip. I’d happily take one in the airport. Better yet, I’d love to see testing available in the departure airport to really streamline the process.

Doesn’t have to be one or the other as the only option. I personally would like to see both offered. I’m usually working right up until the day I leave for vacation, so getting to a doctor for a test can be tricky leading up to a trip. I’d happily take one in the airport. Better yet, I’d love to see testing available in the departure airport to really streamline the process.
The same issue exists if both are required, that travelers risk going all that way (and paying for it) only to be denied their vacation upon arrival, and also having to pay to be in quarantine in Hawaii until they have a doctor's clearance to fly back home (because with a positive Covid test, they can't just hop on the next flight home). That isn't a risk many people will take. Tourism won't begin to recover with such an onerous rule.

Rapid testing at the departure airport would be logical, with that being the end of it.

If you're doing DL first, couldn't you just find a testing location near DL? It would be inconvenient, but seems like its not out of the realm of possibility. Though, I do agree with PP that it would be my preference to do Hawaii before DL anyway, both because of the testing requirement and also because its helpful for adjusting to the time difference coming back east. Its less of an issue on the way there.
The problem with testing near DL, if they don't live in that region (OP said they wanted to do it to break up the flights), is that if they're positive, they not only can't go to Hawaii, but they also can't fly home until they've undergone quarantine in California at their own expense. You have to quarantine upon receiving positive test results- you're not supposed to fly or even travel by car.

I have a potential March trip planned to Aulani.

My current thought is that when Hawaii starts their new policy of testing within 72 hours of travel and needing to present your negative test findings upon landing in September that will be the indicator the future. If this new policy responds with Covid numbers staying low and Hawaii doesn't see a resurgence once visitors come to the island, I think this will become standard practice. If numbers pop I think it is very possible that Hawaii will go on lock down again for visitors and they will come up with a new strategy.

Obviously, Hawaii wants to open up to tourism as quickly and as safely as they can. With the islands so dependent on tourists they just have to figure out how to find that balance between keeping numbers at a steady or low rate and what restrictions can work.

I've booked my room. I'm holding off on airfare for now. I'm in the wait and see what happens come September mode.

We had planned for Disneyland + Aulani the first week in october for our 10 year anniversary. We settled into just aulani a few months ago, but now im pretty much set that this just aint happening this year. :guilty:

The problem with testing near DL, if they don't live in that region (OP said they wanted to do it to break up the flights), is that if they're positive, they not only can't go to Hawaii, but they also can't fly home until they've undergone quarantine in California at their own expense. You have to quarantine upon receiving positive test results- you're not supposed to fly or even travel by car.
Ahh good point! Didn't think of that!

In my mind, one of the biggest issues is the 72-hour test. First, as mentioned, the results after 72 hours have very little meaning. Second, many of the tests don't appear to get back to folks in less than 3 days, so can you even rely on it? And third, on the priority side of things, if a lab is running Covid testing - a test for someone going on vacation would be near the bottom of the list, with the priority going to symptomatic, potentially sick or exposed people.

...on the priority side of things, if a lab is running Covid testing - a test for someone going on vacation would be near the bottom of the list, with the priority going to symptomatic, potentially sick or exposed people.
Everyone is potentially sick with Covid because around half of cases are completely asymptomatic. If you have symptoms & get tested for them, you're required to quarantine immediately. You aren't supposed to wait for test results to quarantine.

But beyond that, saving Hawaii's economy should be considered an important priority. They ideally should have an arrangement that somewhat prioritizes these tests, at least in the sense of not being at the bottom of the pack- maybe right after those in high risk groups.

But beyond that, Hawaii's economy should be considered an important priority. They ideally should have an arrangement that prioritizes their tests (at least in the sense of not being at the bottom of the pack- maybe right after those in high risk groups).
An arrangement how? If I get tested in NY before traveling to Hawaii, I am certain the labs here would not prioritize it because I'm going to Hawaii. Are people traveling to Hawaii and getting tested upon arrival? I can't imagine taking that kind of a risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter