Have you used the Foreman Grill?

chris1gill

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I swear I've heard of doing this, but maybe not LOL.... Has anyone actually brought a Foreman grill with them on vacation & used it? We are doing a quick six day trip & I'm wondering if it would be worth it (we aren't actually going to Disney this time) But I'm wondering what my budget minded friends have done in the past?

Hiya stranger!

We just got back and used ours alot. You can make anything from grilled cheese to steak and the clean up is pretty easy. Plus because it is slim it is very easy to pack. I was going to take the crock pot instead but it is so clunky and difficult to clean. The Geo Foreman was a heck of a lot easier.

:) Kerry

Hey there!

Was it your post I saw the foreman mentioned in? I couldn't remember if I actually ever saw it!! I told my husband I wanted to bring it to Maui, he thinks I am NUTS!!! He says "Now we are bringing appliances??" It was SO FUNNY!! We've never actually used the one we have, so we're gonna use it tonight to try it out LOL... It's been in the basement for ages....

Whether I'm at Disney or Maui no way do I want to spend 150.00 a day for food! Just can't see doing it... at Disney we always have a full kitchen, but in Maui we are staying free at the Sheraton, so I can't rationalize spending a ton of money on a villa!!

Anyways, thanks for the info!!

LOL! Jon said the same thing!! He was happy though when we were too tired to go out and he wanted a big juicy steak. We had a kitchen at the resort but not at Amerisuites or on the way down. Hey - when you throw the kids out on the beach at sunrise to deal with the crabs - have them grab a few and see how they work on the foreman grill!!!

Have you ever been to the Islands? Polynesian food is not the best - yuck - stay away from Poi - ugh!

:) Kerry

Oh my, grab the crabs LOL... Can you imagine?? We actually have NEVER been to the isles... We are certainly lucky to be going however... believe it or not, from Boston to Maui, we got an airfare of 310 per person (2 adults, 2 kids)... that with free hotel, it was a no brainer!!

I'll beware of the food, I'm not a big seafood lover as it is, and you're the second person that said be careful of the food!!! I'll report back in a few weeks how it goes...

Thanks for all the hints & I'll be sure to let ya know how the timeshare luncheon goes!! I wonder what they serve for lunch???

The Foreman grill is phenomenal. We use it at least once a week.
Honestly, I have never tasted better burgers!
I know that isn't info you were looking for--but you just made me hungry.

Fargoman :D We just made burgers with it! Very very easy to do & the burgers were good too... Next we'll try the chicken breasts just to be sure we can do it!!! I wish we had the smallest foreman, but I think we have the middle size... either way, it'll be easy to pack... I reminded my husband we could easily spend 60.00 for just one dinner & that's being conservative, so he's all for bringing the Foreman grill!!! :D

I saw on a post about the George Foremen grill,

that for easier cleaning

when you are finished cooking and have shut OFF the grill.
and while the grill is still warm to put a wet paper towel on the grill and then close the lid,
and let it set till after you eat.

Then clean-up will be easier!!

Thanks to the originator of this thread....WHAT A GREAT IDEA....We use the George ALL the time at home...now we will bring him on our next WDW vacation...(we actually have the biggest George at home...however..the smallest George goes for around $15 locally)...combine him with a hot pot....a stop at Publix and we now can have grilled cheese/ham&cheese sandwiches...along with lots of other George things combined with soup, spaghettios...you name it...anything that comes in a can........(will be packing a hand held can opener)...that is..if it makes it through airport security these days....
I see huge $$$$$$ saving ideas here!!!
Perhaps a new thread???
Thanks for the post!!!:bounce:

We received a Foreman grill as a wedding present and it (never opened) has been sitting in the closet during these past three years. After reading these posts, I'm thinking about digging it up and using it. We won't need it for our upcoming WDW trip since we'll have a full kitchen at Marriott Cypress Harbour.

[Sorry for going off topic . . . ] chris1gill: You'll be staying at the Sheraton on Kaanapali? If so, you got a terrific deal! The absolute best part of Kaanapali, my favorite beach on Maui. A wonderful resort. Food is very expensive on the island, even in the supermarkets. They've got to fly practically everything in from the mainland -- so be prepared to spend $$$ on food. I recommend that you guys stop by Kmart, Cosco or one of the major supermarkets near the airport (just ask someone for directions -- people are very friendly), stock up with basic breads, drinks, snacks and other non-perishable items (unless your hotel has a usable small frige that is not stocked with the pricey hotel goodies). You can also buy a cheap styrofoam cooler from Kmart and store some deli meat, cheese and fruit in your hotel (using ice from hotel's ice dispenser machines). There is a Safeway on the west side of Maui -- you'll see it on your way to the Sheraton; but I think the prices are better at the markets by the airport, where most of the locals shop. My spouse and I have tried many restaurants in Maui, particularly the ones with seafood specialties, and we haven't had a bad meal yet. The best guide for Maui is "Maui Revealed". I bought and/or read several Maui tour books for our first trip two years ago and Maui Revealed is the hands down winner. Very frank approach; none of those "every thing is wonderful" type of review. If a restaurant is overpriced and the food sucks, the authors will tell you that. It has excellent photos, maps, restaurant recommendations, gems that many tourists miss, etc. If you don't have it, I recommend that you get a copy.

Thanks for the Maui info Scotch!! I actually did buy Maui Revealed & you are right, it seems really good!!! Also, don't feel too badly about shelving your Foreman grill. we did the same thing, it's been in the basement two years & last night was the first time we've used it!!

The Sheraton does offer small fridges in the room as well as coffee makers... combined with the Foreman, I see a lot of options here!! We aren't taking too much luggage, but if we were, I swear I'd pack our toaster as well LOL... I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing that we do at Disney... Breakfasts in, lunches out & half our dinners in as well... I've found some 2 for 1 dinners, so hopefully that will cut down on some of the food expense & also the Sheraton has a kids eat free program with a paying adult, so hopefully that will help as well.... I'm not budgeting a whole lot for food, so it's important to save as much as we can!! I just hate eating out three meals a day, that's the other thing, I don't find a lot of pleasure in sitting around eating three big meals!

Glad I could start a good thread on the budget board!!

We own 2 Foreman Grills. One large and one small. They are quite easy for cooking. However, what about ventilation in the rooms without kitchens. Won't the odors get trapped in carpets, drapes, etc? The next guests in the rooms might not appreciate that too much.

Originally posted by chris1gill
Glad I could start a good thread on the budget board!!

I am too! :) Especially since I just borrowed MIL's to see if I would like it before I buy my own! Very timely! :D

Here's a similar idea. We've taken our waffle iron on vacation (hotel room style) with us before. If you get the Bisquik in the plastic bottle that you only need add water to, you can make a quick batter, and some syrups don't need refrigeration. Nice filling breakfast for very little $. -HM

Okay, for anyone that wants to buy one, here's one at Amazon.com for 14.99 + shipping... It's on sale & the cooking surface is 6x7, perfect for vacation...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/kitchen/B00004R93Z/103-6773242-4750206

Talk about a timely sale!

Oh, for the person that asked about the smoke in the room, we tried this out last night in our kitchen & we didn't find there was a lot of smoke... But, we are planning to use it out on our lanai (with an extension cord)... the other thing you could do (and I probably would) is to use this in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on...

Accept no substitutes (IMHO)! We bought a George wannabe -- I think it was a Hamilton Beach -- and the little drain holes were right in the center of the grill instead of open in the front a la George.

Talk about a pain to clean! You had to try to scrape the gook off the grill and shove it in those pitiful little holes. Aaaack.

Bought a George for Christmas. NO comparison in the ease of cleanup.

Hi All

that is such a good idea. I am taking our griddle and now i am taking the Foreman Grill. I thought the griddle would be great to cook our breakfast fast, and easy to clean, now the grill is such a good idea. I am not telling hubby untill we get there. LOL. He would make me leave it home. Someone else had a good idea to mail there crock pot to there resort. I thought that would be a great idea. Fill the crock pot up with meat and veggies and when you come home from the parks, we would have a great roast dinner.

chris1gill We love the chicken breast on the foreman. That is our favorite. Good luck.

Just remember to bring lots of sunscreen and keep an eye on when you need to reapply. My friend's son, a teenager, didn't do such a good job of applying his sunscreen and was admitted to the hospital with terrible burns on his back. Have a wonderful time!

George has gone to WDW with us many times, George has been to WDW more times than some people I know! :D
We stay at our DVC home at BWV and the George Foreman grill is great. We make steaks, hamburgers, chicken breasts, pork chops, thick pieces of fish like salmon, grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, sausage patties, bacon, you name it. I like to marinate the steaks, chops, chicken breasts and fish in the refrig all day and then just come back to our Villa and throw them on George while I cook baked potatoes or Rice a Roni and a veggie in the microwave or have a prebagged salad and viola we have a good, fast, cheap and easy dinner. For breakfast we use George to cook sausage patties, pork roll or bacon and then make scrambled eggs in the microwave, make some toast or english muffins, along with some fresh fruit and we have a great breakfast. For lunch we will make hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, grilled pork roll & cheese or sausage & cheese sandwiches along with pre-made macaroni salad or potato salad or chips and we have lunch.
We pack George in our luggage and then go to a grocery store once we get to WDW. We do not eat every meal at BWV because we love to eat at WDW restaurants but we do eat quite a few meals each trip in our villa. It saves big time on money plus it saves on time, since someone can be cooking while the others are taking showers, relaxing etc.

Thanks DeeP! Glad to get the food tips on George :D We'll have to eat a lot of fruit as a side since we won't have a microwave... I told my DH to go by fries at the pool to go with our meals!!! If that's all I pay for I'll be HAPPY!!!

Karyn, Thanks for the reminder, I have a terrible feeling I'm going to forget the sunscreen... That's one thing I'm really good on though, if I forget it, I buy it there & I never forget to use it!!!! Even the kids (6&4) are getting very good about remembering!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter