Have you had the H1N1 vaccine??

Here they have opened it up to teens as well, but still not everyone. But I hear that's coming soon.

My kids ages 2 and 6 are going tomorrow. My 6 yr old is very healthy, but got sidelined for 2 weeks with a serious virus - we think it was H1N1, but with hardly any coughing, and a clear chest x-ray, the docs thought otherwise. The baby, who is 2 and asthmatic on the other hand, has a horrible history, and so this would seriously affect him, as would the seasonal flu.

We are hoping that they respond well to their shots tomorrow - baby takes shots very well, but DD is very sensitive, just like me: majorly swollen arms, red, etc.

Wish us luck, Tiger

Got all my family done here. Both girls and my Dh who has a chronic condition. I went last night because I am in special ed. Arms are sore and felt a bite tired the first day. My youngest DD suffers from anxiety and the people handled her very well, they were very nice with her. It took us less then 1 hour. Great experience ....:hippie:

Here they have opened it up to teens as well, but still not everyone. But I hear that's coming soon.

My kids ages 2 and 6 are going tomorrow. My 6 yr old is very healthy, but got sidelined for 2 weeks with a serious virus - we think it was H1N1, but with hardly any coughing, and a clear chest x-ray, the docs thought otherwise. The baby, who is 2 and asthmatic on the other hand, has a horrible history, and so this would seriously affect him, as would the seasonal flu.

We are hoping that they respond well to their shots tomorrow - baby takes shots very well, but DD is very sensitive, just like me: majorly swollen arms, red, etc.

Wish us luck, Tiger

Good luck tommorrow, hope everyone does well !

Good luck tommorrow, hope everyone does well !

Thanks! Baby has an apppointment with ENT to check his tubes (more fluid in his ears) and then off to pick up DD at school and to the doctor for shots.

Both kids will miss most of school tomorrow, but we planned that just in case of a reaction. DH also has off Friday, so we are covered with the weekend too in case of any yucky feelings.

Tiger :)

Update - Just returned from getting our shots, and both kids did so well! My DD6 who swells up to the high heavens from shots, doesn't even have a red mark, nor is it swollen. She said it stung, and is now feeling tired, so she's lying down. DS2 got it in his leg, as he's a very lean baby, and he cried for a good few minutes - he never cries with his shots, and doesn't even so much as swell up. He is now running around the living room pretending to be Buzz Lightyear. So, he seems fine!

I'm hoping they both feel well tonight - if not, DH has the day off tomorrow, and then we have whole weekend to recuperate if need be. We are so glad they got their shots.

Happy health to all, Tiger :)

So, we got our shots on October 28, as soon as it was available here in Calgary.
Our friends went and got theirs the next day.
We all went to Disneyland from Nov 6-11. The next day(nov12) they both were told they had H1N1. We were fine.
They were told it really does take that full 14 days for any protection.
Now today my MIL tells me she has it, and I was with her on Sunday. Her first symptoms were on Wednesday night, and they say it is infectious 1 day before symptoms appear, so fingers crossed between the vaccine and the timeline, we will be O.K.
I am so thankfull we got the shots right away, at first we were going to skip them!:eek:

DS15 is in bed with sore throat, aches, headache - all came on since this am in order - havent checked fever yet. Had shot almost three weeks ago - is he one of the four in ten? (vaccine only has 60% effectiveness)

DS15 is in bed with sore throat, aches, headache - all came on since this am in order - havent checked fever yet. Had shot almost three weeks ago - is he one of the four in ten? (vaccine only has 60% effectiveness)

Could be, but remember, there are lots of viruses that go around this time of year, and some of them are identical to H1N1. That is why I worry that so many people are being told they have it, yet they don't. I know labs can't test everyone, but many people are now choosing not to get the vaccine, because they 'think' or were told that it's 'highly suspicious' that they have it.

Not sure what else can be done, but there are lots of other viruses floating around - we've had several 'super' bugs (hospital and lab used that term) floating around in my city for weeks now - one is respiratory with basically the same exact symptoms as H1N1, but with the absence of a cough, or hardly any coughing (this is what they said my babes had) - lots of throat issues though. The other is gastrointestinal.

Best of health to your son - hope he is feeling better soon, Tiger :)

Thanks for the kind words... yes, he is feeling better today - in fact I think it was a bit of schoolitis with a bit of hearing too much about the symptoms of H1N1 (thank goodness)

I was confirmed (via swab and lab tests) with H1N1 and it was stressed to me by the nurse who called me from the Calgary Health Region that I still needed the vaccine due to the morphing of the flu. Hopefully everyone else who feels they were "diagnosed" verbally with H1N1 hears the same message. I heard today that in the UK a strain of H1N1 which is resistant to tamiflu has emerged. More scares...

Thanks for the kind words... yes, he is feeling better today - in fact I think it was a bit of schoolitis with a bit of hearing too much about the symptoms of H1N1 (thank goodness)

I was confirmed (via swab and lab tests) with H1N1 and it was stressed to me by the nurse who called me from the Calgary Health Region that I still needed the vaccine due to the morphing of the flu. Hopefully everyone else who feels they were "diagnosed" verbally with H1N1 hears the same message. I heard today that in the UK a strain of H1N1 which is resistant to tamiflu has emerged. More scares...

Glad he is feeling better.

Actually the Tamiflu resistant flu was found here in Canada, and has also been found in North Carolina. Here is a brand new link:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20091120/D9C3HBBG0.html

Happy health, Tiger :)

YIKES!!! Although I'm certainly not insinuating that there are any conspiracy issues here, it's just makes you wonder if what we are hearing is what is really happening.

Realistically comforted :confused3? I'm happy that all four of us are vaccinated.

We're planning a 3 week vacation end of January and feel we should at least get the regular flu shot since we're investing allot in this trip and don't want to take any chances getting :sick: while on our trip. Now we're wondering if we should also get the H1N1 for the very same reason.....despite still not being 100% comfortable with the vaccine and any long term effects associated with it. :confused3

My son had his a few weeks ago and my DH (he was given his because he is a front line emergency responder) DD and I had ours on Tuesday. Wow- the next day my arm was sore. DD had a fever and aches and I also felt "not right" for a few days afterwards. Achy in my arm but also my neck and shoulders and just tired all over. THey opened it up to general public here last week.
I am glad we had it.

They opened it up here two days ago. We went and got ours. We had very little wait. However, my arm is still very sore and it's been 2 days. My husband felt a little off yesterday.

Not to scare anyone but we had our shots on Nov 2nd. Within a couple days my daughter spiked a fever. A couple days later it went away. We did this for about a week. She also has/had massive headaches. Last week was she came down with a fever of 104.7 for 4 days along with the headache and when it finally broke (36hours inbetween) I went to send her to school that morning and she ended up waking up at 1 in the morning with hives from head to toe. This is all part of the reaction that she got from her shot. She was fine prior to it. As for her hives they were bad. She had them everywhere and huge welts from them.

We are now 3 days out from our Disney trip and she is finally starting to feel better. No fever, no rash, but she still has the slight headache.

Make sure you keep a close eye on your kids when they get the shot. It's even best to keep a journal of the first 2 weeks.

If it wasn't for us going to Disney ....I wouldn't get the shot for my family.

If it wasn't for us going to Disney ....I wouldn't get the shot for my family.

So sorry to hear about your DD's reaction to the vaccine. Hope she feels better for your trip!

Your comment above is the same dilemma we're having......should we take the chance and hope neither of us get sick for our trip? or get the vaccines and hope for the best regarding side effects and long term side effects? Oh what to do! :confused:

There's a clinic out in the front lobby of work tonight, but it's just for those of us in the fire dept. I asked if I could get my son done at the same time but they said no, so I have to make a special trip to the doctor. My youngest had his done a couple weeks ago when it was just kids under 5, but now I'll have to make another appointment for his other half shot, and a seperate appointment for my older son and I. He's really scared of needles, but it's easier for him if he can watch mommy go first, otherwise I'd get it done at work tonight.

There's a clinic out in the front lobby of work tonight, but it's just for those of us in the fire dept. I asked if I could get my son done at the same time but they said no, so I have to make a special trip to the doctor. My youngest had his done a couple weeks ago when it was just kids under 5, but now I'll have to make another appointment for his other half shot, and a seperate appointment for my older son and I. He's really scared of needles, but it's easier for him if he can watch mommy go first, otherwise I'd get it done at work tonight.

you should confirm with your dr about getting your son a second shot - it's been in the news since my daughter got hers that you don't need a second shot for those under 5.

i had an appointment that my dr called and cancelled saying she doesn't need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter