Has anyone successfully taken pictures of fireworks with their Digital Rebel XT?

aunt kelly

DIS Veteran
If so, what settings did you use? What lens? Is a tripod a necessity? Every 4th of July I take at least 100 pictures of the fireworks, and I'm never happy with the results. :furious: I've always blamed my poor quality photos on the camera, not the photographer. This year, I have the Digital Rebel, so I may be out of excuses. Hopefully, we'll be going to WDW in March and I'd love to get some good pictures of the fireworks. Any suggestions?

Even uber-cheap digi's can take good fireworks shots, the absolute most important thing is to keep the camera steady. So yes, a tripod is neccessary unless you can find a garbage can or something else to hold the cam absolutely still.

As far as what to do with your camera, I recommend a remote shutter release, though I'm not sure if the RebXT supports one.

Run the camera in either full manual or shutter priority and set the shutter for anywhere from 1\2 sec to 4 seconds, you can go anywhere between to get the effect you like. In shutter priority, the cam will automatically adjust the aperature. In full manual, you will need to adjust it manually. I would recommend starting around f/8 and go up from there, adjust the shutter to compensate for the aperature.

Also, set your ISO fairly low, 50 or 100 would be a good place to start, this will help eliminate any noise that will become present in dark exposures. Lastly, don't use the flash, it will do absolutely nothing but turn the pic into garbage.

HTH

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try on our upcoming trip. I think the Rebel XT does support a remote shutter release. I'll check my instruction manuel and confirm.

An article in a photo mag published in England had an article about taking pics of Fireworks a few months back.

The basics start with an ISO of 100 or 200 to keep noise to a minimum and start with an aperture of f/8 and use an exposure somewhere between 3 and 8 seconds. Most people will use a tripod as well. If you have a cable release or remote control it will help with blurring, but its not necessary. Sometimes for night photo's I'll use the self timer set on 1 or 2 seconds.

After a few shots take a look at what you have and make any adjustments you might need or keep it if your happy. Another big hint to remember that was in the article is "keep firing". As soon as one shot's taken, fire the shutter again - if you wait for that great shot when photographing fireworks, you'll miss it.

The other piece of advice I've read was to "take" the picture while the fireworks are still low in the sky. That way, you can get the picture while they are streaking across the sky.

Personally, I've never tried to serious take firework pictures before, but am willing to give it a shot (no pun intended).

I've taken lots of fireworks pictures with my dRebXT, both at low ISO and at high ISO ... sometimes I'll shoot with a tripod, sometimes not ... For exposures less than 1 second, I can usually manage a pretty reasonable (not always great, but certainly passable) shot without a tripod, anything longer than that, and I need the tripod.

I'm a beginner and took this picture with my Nikon D50. Of course I have about 50 blury shots to go with this one :teeth:

DSC_0911_edited.jpg

Kelly,

Where were you when you took that awesome picture? Where you using your 18-200 lens, or is this the other time that you used your 50mm?

Bummer. I can't see the great pix! I have images turned on in my User CP. What else could it be?

I've had decent luck using f16/f22 and bulb. Hold it open for as long as it looks pretty ; )

lucky978 said:
Unbelievable. Has to be one of the nicest fireworks pics I've seen. Can I save as my wallpaper? Hope you don't mind!!! :goodvibes

we-luv-disney has one that kicks this picture's butt, actually :) But sure, you can use is as your wallpaper. It's an honour, actually. :thumbsup2

NJDad18 said:
Kelly,

Where were you when you took that awesome picture? Where you using your 18-200 lens, or is this the other time that you used your 50mm?

I was at the centre hub with the camera tilted up a bit. Everybody were so nice on that day. NOBODY stood up. Everybody sat on the ground. Dunno why.

For that pic I use the 18-125 f/5.6 lens at (IIRC) f/4. Wider than that (such as f/3.5) you'll get vignetting when taking fireworks picture using that lens. When I get the chance I'll show you what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter