Has anyone read "Hidden Mickeys" by Steve Barrett?

JC Butterfly

DIS Veteran
This is another book I stumbled across in my search but the synopsis didn't say much about what was included inside.

Anyone read this one?

Brenda

I just got back from WDW (14-22 March) and brought a copy with me. It was fun!

If you like to look for hidden Mickey's this is a great book. It is set up in sections adn you can look for them like a scavenger hunt. I can't wait to use it next trip.

Steve has posted here about the book, answering questions so you might want to look back a few pages to see if you can find it.

Mine just arrived from Amazon.com yesterday! I have been to WDW twice (1995 and 2000) and have never taken much of an interest in this before. But, my DD7 asked about them, and I am getting so excited for this trip that I needed one more thing to plan. DD7 has been reading the book since it arrived. I can't wait to put it to use!

You may want to think about making copies of the book to bring into the parks instead of carrying around the whole book. You could only carry those pages of the parks you plan to visit that day.

I don't believe copying pages from a book for your own personal use is illegal.

So where can you get this book besides Amazon? Does anyone know if the bookstores have it?

I bought mine through passporter.com.

SeaShelley: Believe it. Read the copywrite law. If it was OK for personal use, would anyone admit for non-personal use?

Selling books is how an author makes his living. For a person to buy one book and make copies, in whole or part, it is most definately illegal. What if everyone did it?

If I make copies of pages from a book that I have ALREADY purchased for my own personal use, how is that violating the copywrite law? Now if I start handing those pages out to friends, family and random strangers, that IS a violation. Or how about copies from a library book?

I know it is hard to believe in this society of "if everyone does it, it must be OK", but everything you mentioned is a violation of the copywrite law.

The bottom line is: No portion of any book may be reproduced, regardless whether for public or private use, without expressed written consent of the author and publisher.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

I bought the book when someone mentioned it here.

I think it was $9.00, not sure.
It was fun to look through. I really never paid that much attention to the hidden mickeys. My DD did in Dec.
So, I bought the book for her.

Now, we have to start planning that trip a year from Oct.
and we will actually get to use the book!

Lisajl

I looked up the copyright law in relation to photocopying. Here's what I found [COLOR=dark red]--Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.
- [/COLOR]

Now I'm not sure, but you could call it teaching, or research. You could even email the writer and ask if he thinks photocopies for one person are a good idea, as long as you don't pass them out to people who'd otherwise spend the cash for the book. Sounds like non profit educational purposes. That's the same way a college student can photocopy a play or pages from a book. I remember the rules hanging over the copy machine in the Theater Building in College.

HI All,
I helped write the guidelines on copyright the AAP (american assoc. of publishers) hands out to university professors , and as long as you purchase a book, you may make copies for your personal use, as long as you don't give or sell it to someone else, who uses it rather than purchasing a copy. The authors are not hurt a bit if you make a copy.

Dsanner106

I just wanted to mention www.half.com is a good site for purchasing any type of book. I have found many of the Disney and Universal guidebooks here for alot cheaper than anywhere else.

From an English teacher . . . it is LEGAL to copy pages of a book for your own personal use. So I can copy something from a library book that I plan to use in preparing a research paper. I can copy a recipe from a book so that I don't ruin my book while making Christmas cookies with my messy children. I can copy pages that I wish to take into the Magic Kingdom so that I don't have to drag a heavy book around.

It is ILLEGAL to copy things that would "cost" the author of the book another book sale. So I could not make copies of my Disney Guide book and pass them out to my family and friends. I could not copy a cookie recipe and give it to everyone I know as a Christmas present.

MrsPete- That is how the research library I used to work for said the law was and it was how it was applied. I didn't post before because it has been 7 years and I wasn't sure if the laws had changed. It isn't something I keep up with. :D

I just got it in the mail today. I got it at Amazon - I used a $10 GC from Memolink and my Amazon trivia money. I only paid $1.62. I can't wait to sit down and go through it later.

We bought ours at Border's about a month ago, it must have been the 1st shipment because the author didn't expect it to be released for another week or so. We have been to Border's several times since then and they have been out. I'm not sure if they aren't getting shipments or they are selling more than they order. My sister finally gave up and ordered it from Amazon. I thought the book size was ok to take along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter