Harder to get a room?

Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on the part of anyone else.

<sigh>

typical.......

The simple solution is what it has always been for EVERY DVC member. Plan early, or take what you can get.

remeber to say that to the 200 ssr owners who next year post threads asking if their waitlist for one of the other resorts will come thru.

"take what you can get".

nawwwwwwww

I'll rent the points on ebay to some sucker, and stay at the Dolphin, so my family can have a vaction location that is similar to what we were sold.

My problem is SSR wasn't built to enhance DVC, it was built to house people to bus them to the parks

As are most resorts on Disney property. Better location, more $$. Same with DVC, better location, more points. You want to be right on top of a park you pay more (in points) for it. You don't mind being away from a park and riding a bus, you spend fewer points. Its a give and take.

I am sure SSR will improve. But you know what will help? Actually submitting your ideas. It worked with the Turf Club, it worked with adding the dining plan. Stating over and over and over and over what you dislike won't do much of anything. Because the things you dislike can't be changed.

I know you are having fun, heck I have fun to hashing it back and forth with you. I like a little debate now and then, even in jest.

You know though, I don't recall you stating what you do like about the resort. Why don't you tell me.

It seems to me, who is very new to these boards and a very new DVC member, that you're very unhappy with how the DVC concept has evolved. Frankly, listening to you go on and on is a bit disheartening. I'm thrilled with my purchase, but if the day comes where I'm unhappy with DVC's direction, I'll sell my points. With all due respect, why don't you just sell your points and get out if it hasn't evolved the way you hoped?

boatboatboat said:
It's a great place stop knocking it

yes the resort is nice.

also with the 11/7 month windows no SSR
owners will be able to book at your home resort before you have chance to

AHOY CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

I do think it's safe to say that sometime in the next 38 years, there will be a time I would like to book a trip only 200 days in advance, and STILL be able to stay at a resort that is close to the parks. It is WDW afterall......

so what exactly is your problem

that sounded so manly....

My problem is SSR wasn't built to enhance DVC, it was built to house people to bus them to the parks.

if you dont get the times you want that will be nothing to do with SSR

yes it will, anytime i call at 200 days it will

not really sure where you are going with this again

obvioulsy

getting a bit touchy? don't get upset it affects your spelling

I don't recall you stating what you do like about the resort.

12 more years.

That is what I see as it's best quality.

I just bought HH this last week (haven't closed yet). I darn near bought SSR, 12 years is a HUGE advantage....... but I came to the conslusion that HH will become as hard as Vero to book , and having pts there (resort is very small) will be your only way to get in with no worries. But even with that, I looked at doing a SSR add on.

hmmmmmmmmmm what else do i like.

well i "like" the idea that it's close to bars and clubs, but every city has those, so why spend 1000's to go to orlando to have a beer and shake my booty? We go to Orlando for WDW parks.......other then the Parks Orlando doesn't offer us much that any other city can. Now if for some reason you are big Sea World or fans or the other non WDW attractions, then SSR would be great to own, since you get the 12 years. But unless the WDW parks were my reason for buying, I would buy a LIFETIME marriot with a full floating week of a 2 bedroom for 5-8k. Much better use of $, IMO.....

hmmmmm

Well, the golf is nice, but not my cup of tea on a WALT DISNEY vacation. HH is far better in this area.....

hmmmmm

Earls? pretty couches? fast elevators?

TDC Nala said:
I own at the Beach Club. If I want to stay there in early December or pretty much any time during the food and wine festival I know I have to be on that phone exactly 11 months from my travel dates. And that has nothing to do with how many SSR owners there are, just how popular those times of year have become.

I have never chimed in on an SSR thread, because frankly - they worry me. DH and I are looking to buy this summer. We are buying, and we are going to be thrilled with SSR because it's not going to take us by any sort of surprise. So this isn't about that particular resort.

But I think you have a point here, along with some others on the thread.

Lots of people can't get BWV, etc now for, say, December. As someone pointed out, the 7-month window for that hasn't even opened, so you aren't competing with the "billions of points" SSR has added to the system.

Since we DON'T own DVC (yet), I spend a lot of time looking for hotels on property. There are very few super slow times anymore. Some are obviously slower than others, but gone are the days where weeks at a time (September, October, early December, etc) are virtually empty. It just doesn't happen. People are wise to the idea of doing Disney a different month than July or August.

So maybe, just MAYBE, this is all multi-faceted. There are simply more people GOING to WDW on the "off times". Maybe BWV owners are booking earlier than they used to (for numerous possible reasons).

Like I said, I have no vested intereste in this matter, so maybe I'm way off. It just seems like, reading this thread and others, the SSR angle is being assumed and thrown around in instances where it can't possibly even be causing a problem? :confused3

Or maybe I'm just way off. It's been known to happen :rolleyes:

getting a bit touchy? don't get upset it affects your spelling

oh lord......... spelling smack.

what's next momma jokes?

boatboatboat said:
My problem is SSR wasn't built to enhance DVC, it was built to house people to bus them to the parks.

While I agree with your general message - this is where I disagree.

I think DVC felt that the SSR location was better then the EP location.

I think they felt that the access to DD would create a draw and it certainly is the most "visible" of the DVC resorts which helps all around sales.

Also, the Disney institute was not bringing the returns Disney wanted - so it made sense for them to re-use this property.

In the mid to late 90's I stayed there on business about 2 dozen times (was working with WDW at the time). Some nights my car was the only one in the lot!

I think WDW realized that business did not want a coprorate retreat - rather - convention space. And, this is why they built Coronado!

boatboatboat said:
well i "like" the idea that it's close to bars and clubs, but every city has those, so why spend 1000's to go to orlando to have a beer and shake my booty?

Oh my gosh, why can I totally picture this? :lmao: :lmao:
Sad I know.

Yes they have them in our city (bars and such) but well, sometimes its fun to do things somewhere else, seems more adventureous. Or maybe I am just weird ;) Besides they don't have these types of clubs in the city I live in.

Now tell me what you would add to get the resort up to YOUR standards? And these are serious things that could be done, nothing like move its location type changes.

tink2020 said:
I have never chimed in on an SSR thread, because frankly - they worry me. DH and I are looking to buy this summer. We are buying, and we are going to be thrilled with SSR because it's not going to take us by any sort of surprise. As someone pointed out, the 7-month window for that hasn't even opened, so you aren't competing with the "billions of points" SSR has added to the system.

Maybe BWV owners are booking earlier than they used to (for numerous possible reasons).

:

congrats, you will love it. SSr is a great place. I do suggest you only buy there if that is where you want to stay the VAsT majority of the time. The days of jumping around and sampling all that DVC has to offer are over. Yes, I know you will be able to get into other places, but you won't IMO be able to call and get your dates, your room size, your view, and your CHOICE of resort like you have in the past at anyplace other then your home (11-7 mths out). Up to now, it hasn't been a problem doing just what I said.......now with 40% of the rooms being the most likely to want to stay at a non home resort, it won't be like the good ole days.

boatboatboat said:
Chuck I can't imagine that in 1998 many bwv buyers had any idea at all, that someday the "club" they had just joined for 10k, would build a resort in a location such as SSR, that would DOMINATE the total ownership.

I never even considered that an option for DVC.

DVC was right in the middle of the action........heck I live in Ohio, and there are a bazzillon resorts between here and Orlando that have nice pools and are close to shopping.

DVC=WDW=PARKS.

I wish DVC would just go ahead and split SSR off into it's own seperate pool of resorts and be done with it.

DVC has obvioulsy done nothing against the law, but what they have done is a dis-service to it's other owners.

SSR wasn't built to enhance DVC.
In general I agree with your feelings about SSR. I think the majority of DVC owners, possibly even the majority of SSR owners, would rather own elsewhere or at least stay elsewhere most of the time all else, including end time, being equal. But if one buys where they want to stay and plans ahead, no problem. Even then one can likely get something that's suitable much of the time at the 7 month window. DVC is NOT for one that can't plan ahead, period. Most in this situation should consider selling. But the idea that DVC implied in any way what type of resort they would or should build in the future, is simply wrong. They specifically stated they made no promises or if another resort was built, they also told you there was no guarantee it would be included in the club.

But if we were sitting back say in 1996 and trying to guess what would happen with DVC, I would have envisioned things didfferently than they turned out. Remember that there were 4 resorts in front of us with 2 on and 2 off. All we had on proprety was OKW and BWV. BWV was a somewhat new concept in timesharing in that is was a mixed use property from the get go. I can't think of another timeshare and hotel that were planned and built together from the start and incorporated directly into the hotel framework, but I digress. We had 2 off property options and specific outlooks for more off property and no more on property.

Then things changed, DVC sold the CA property, the contract fell through for the hotel in CO and the NY option dropped from the face of the earth. I'm sure it wasn't until this time frame that DVC even decided to build more on property anywhere. They had trouble selling VB & HH and saw that BWV sold much faster than OKW. So they built two easy to sell, relatively inexpensive to develop properties in BCV and VWL. After that not really any more room to speak of adjacent to the deluxe hotels so where to go next. For on peroperty, another golf resort was a prime option. I guess they could have develope properties adjacent to the Sport complex or near one of the moderates or even in the vicinity of AK. Maybe even somewhere along the epcot monorail route to have a direct monorail access DVC.

We also know that both off property DVC resorts are not in the best of locations in some ways. For HH, it's not on the beach in an area where being on or near the beach is a large part of what makes a resort. For VB, it's in a residential area some 7 miles from the action.

All these ramblings to say that in 1998 any reasonable person who read the paperwork and understand some basics about timeshares SHOULD have known that IF DVC proceeded with future developments, they likely would get another large semi out of the way resort not that unlike OKW. And there was a distinct possibility it could have been a more value oriented resort with a cheaper buy in such as the values. Look where Marriott tried to go with the Horizon's offshoot.

While I often agree with B3 (yikes!), I'm afraid I can't here. I truly think Disney thinks the draw is the PARKS (hello!). To them the DVC attraction is that you can get somewhere on property. A family that wants to take school kids to Disney on summer vacation wants onsite - and they don't really care where. That's why DVC stopped building offsite resorts. It was obvious that many people were buying offsite with the real intention of getting onsite. So they gave the people what they wanted - a whole bunch of rooms onsite.

I'm not sure DVC foresaw that experienced owners would start learning to work the system by making ressies for early December or for the Food & Wine Fest. I still hold that in the time period that traditionally has been the busy season for Disney (summer), you can still get a DVC room with relative ease. Those of us with really long memories know that this close to June or July it used to be impossible to get regular hotel reservations at WDW - people were planning and booking a year out. 9/11 changed all that for a while and you could get waht you wanted, whenever and wherever. The pendulum is swinging back the other way. You have to plan ahead.

By the way, we own at BWV and OKW. I know if I really want my home resort for a certain time I'd better book in my 11 month window. If I want a short notice trip I need to be flexible and take what I can get.

B3 said Why complain about it? Esp since you don't even own there?

because IMO it is very likely that in the next 38 years when I book a vacation for my family at 200 days, it will be where i will HAVE to stay.

So might I suggest at that point you rent your points and stay somewhere else? BLAH BLAH BLAH.......................... it's really getting old talk about beating a "dead horse"................

tink2020 said:
I have never chimed in on an SSR thread, because frankly - they worry me. DH and I are looking to buy this summer. We are buying, and we are going to be thrilled with SSR because it's not going to take us by any sort of surprise. So this isn't about that particular resort.

But I think you have a point here, along with some others on the thread.

Lots of people can't get BWV, etc now for, say, December. As someone pointed out, the 7-month window for that hasn't even opened, so you aren't competing with the "billions of points" SSR has added to the system.

Since we DON'T own DVC (yet), I spend a lot of time looking for hotels on property. There are very few super slow times anymore. Some are obviously slower than others, but gone are the days where weeks at a time (September, October, early December, etc) are virtually empty. It just doesn't happen. People are wise to the idea of doing Disney a different month than July or August.

So maybe, just MAYBE, this is all multi-faceted. There are simply more people GOING to WDW on the "off times". Maybe BWV owners are booking earlier than they used to (for numerous possible reasons).

Like I said, I have no vested intereste in this matter, so maybe I'm way off. It just seems like, reading this thread and others, the SSR angle is being assumed and thrown around in instances where it can't possibly even be causing a problem? :confused3

Or maybe I'm just way off. It's been known to happen :rolleyes:

Tink- You have very real observations and I do believe every one of these factors comes into play, not just SSR points.

We go every year during the same week, and guess what? Every year we see more and more people in the parks. We used to be able to literally WALK onto every ride with NOTHING more than a 5 minute wait. Now we deal with 15-30 minute waits. Its nothing big to deal with but the increase is there and it certainly veiws to be more and more as I read the threads on the theme parks board.

Also add to the fact that tourism is up, some people finally have more disposable income, timeshares aren't as taboo as they used to be and there you have it.

We went for the first time in Oct last year. Had always heard it is slow (went during the first few days when it was still value season) and all that. It was far more busy then anything we ever expirenced during our normal yearly vacations.

In fact didn't most of October used to be value season and now it has changed to regular season? So yes I think patterns of vacationing and travel times have changed that make this happen too.

I remember reading a poll somewhere (not sure if it was here or another forum) asking if they changed the point requirements for the first 2 weeks of December would you still go. If I remember correctly I think it was about 50/50. Some still would while others would change it to a lesser point time.

Most people I think are smart enough to know that the problems arrising with DVC (if you can even really call it a problem) isn't because of SSR but a myriad of other factors.

Good post!

Now tell me what you would add to get the resort up to YOUR standards? And these are serious things that could be done, nothing like move its location type changes.

Well, first I would make it 2 maybe 3 seperate resorts.

One would be an adult only. No guest under 18/21. make it over the top, GF like. make the points to use double the others. limo to the parks,in room chefs,helocopter pad on top.

2nd, for very young guest. have mini rides at the resort. 5-6 mini attractions for the 4 and under crowd, for those days when jr. simply isn't up to dealing with the 95 degree orlando heat. put a sab style pool at this resort. have micky, mini, donlad, goofy, show up 4-5 times a day to "party" with the kids. have picnic lunches on the lawn with the children. make this resort for families with YOUNG kids. It angers me everytime I see a child being drug through MK at 8 at night, by COMMANDO mom.

3rd a mini version of ssr.

See now if you did that, rather then having 40% of the rooms under one theme, it would divide then up, which would mean that the chances of getting "stuck" at a resort that has little to offer YOUR FAMILY is reduced.

Ok see now I said serious. I guess I should have said serious and REALISTIC. Helicoptor pad?? Come on now.

Try again :)

And no dividing up resorts. You can't change size and location.

In general I agree with your feelings about SSR.

thanx

I think the majority of DVC owners, possibly even the majority of SSR owners, would rather own elsewhere or at least stay elsewhere most of the time all else, including end time, being equal.

no doubt.

But if one buys where they want to stay and plans ahead, no problem.

I doubt if any dvc owner will plan all vactions over the course of 50 years, 210 days in advance.

Even then one can likely get something that's suitable much of the time at the 7 month window.

yes ssr is "suitable"..

But the idea that DVC implied in any way what type of resort they would or should build in the future, is simply wrong.

you don't think, it was fair to assume future projects would be like past ones?

They specifically stated they made no promises or if another resort was built, they also told you there was no guarantee it would be included in the club.

I agree, take SSR and start another "club"

I would have envisioned things didfferently than they turned out.

me too

and saw that BWV sold much faster than OKW.

and then built ANOTHER one (ssr) that was like OKW, in regards to not being in a prime location.

For HH, it's not on the beach in an area where being on or near the beach is a large part of what makes a resort.

we don't share the same view. We go to HH for golf/shelter cove at night. But i agree, MOST see HH as a beach vacation. But to be fair, the HH resort is a 10 min walk to the beach (3 min by bus), and SSR is a 2 hour walk to the parks, and a 20 min bus ride, so using your logic SSR is 5 times worse then HH.

All these ramblings to say that in 1998 any reasonable person who read the paperwork and understand some basics about timeshares SHOULD have known that IF DVC proceeded with future developments, they likely would get another large semi out of the way resort not that unlike OKW. And there was a distinct possibility it could have been a more value oriented resort with a cheaper buy in such as the values. Look where Marriott tried to go with the Horizon's offshoot

you already stated it didn't go as you envisioned it would. Were you being unreasonable?

mikesmom said:
While I often agree with B3. I truly think Disney thinks the draw is the PARKS (hello!).

I agree, and SSR which controls 40% of the rooms is in the worst location.

Easy to see the problem this will create......

So might I suggest at that point you rent your points and stay somewhere else?

yes

BLAH BLAH BLAH.......................... it's really getting old talk about beating a "dead horse

I also have a "suggestion". Tell the people who continue to create these discussions to stop. I have created NO THREADS. I simply post in the ones others CREATE.

cobbler said:
Ok see now I said serious. I guess I should have said serious and REALISTIC. Helicoptor pad?? Come on now.

Try again :)

And no dividing up resorts. You can't change size and location.

why not?

I have stayed at resorts with helo pads near by, I bet you have too and didn't even know it.

SSR isn't done, why can't the remaining are be used to do EGG-ZACT-LEE as i stated?

why not?

don't allow disney to wave a watch in front of your face and get you to agree to what ever they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter